Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > 4x4 & Off-Roading > 4x4 Technical


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 13th December 2010, 21:03   #16
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Dubai
Posts: 3,854
Thanked: 123 Times
Default Re: Can the Thar's 4wd be fitted onto the Scorpio 2wd?

Quote:
Originally Posted by n.devdath View Post
...Secondly, a chassis swap is not a difficult thing at all. You know the kind of people I know.

I m waiting for Spike to reply.
Chassis swap?

Man! You do want to catch M&M by their ... goatee, eh!

I am sure we have many people watching this thread. The outcome is sure to be interesting.

Mr.Spike - your floor.
HappyWheels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th December 2010, 21:33   #17
Distinguished - BHPian
 
4x4addict's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Chennai
Posts: 3,889
Thanked: 2,303 Times
Default Re: Can the Thar's 4wd be fitted onto the Scorpio 2wd?

Quote:
Originally Posted by n.devdath View Post
Secondly, a chassis swap is not a difficult thing at all. You know the kind of people I know.
@devnath: I don't intend to put down your friends, but chasis swap, chasis, shortening, lengthening etc can be done easily. Converting IFS set up with coil spring to a 4WD Torsion bar set up cannot be done safely outside the factory. I feel you are underestimating the work involved. Please find a 4WD scorpio and look the changes required. You will not be able to do this safely in private workshop. It can be done, but not safely, correctly and reliably. You will be putting yourself and other in your vehicle at risk by doing this after market.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2500cc View Post
Hi Spike, I have a 2006 XD3P Slx Bolero. Could you please let me know if it makes sense to plonk the Thar's 4x4 on my Bolero.
Cheers,
rajesh
@rajesh: If your Bolero has IFS, the same reply as above applies to your idea as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rajith View Post
Dear Spike,
Whats your thought of MM550/MM540 body on scorpio non crde 4wd conversion (2005 model , chain drive).
vehicle is available for 4Lacx.
Body can be sold for 1Lacx.
MM 550 body Top condition 0.5Lacx
Total 3.5Lacx with AC.
Whats uer thoughts...
Rajith
@Rajith. This is definitely doable and I am toying with the same but on a 4WD Safari Chasis. You will have to either extend the MM540 body like Beboy has done or shorten the Scorpio Chasis as the wheelbase is different for both vehicles. This way you actually get a comfortable 4x4 without the electronics of the CRDe engine.
4x4addict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th December 2010, 22:15   #18
Senior - BHPian
 
n.devdath's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 3,819
Thanked: 1,431 Times
Default Re: Can the Thar's 4wd be fitted onto the Scorpio 2wd?

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4x4addict View Post
@devnath: I don't intend to put down your friends, but chasis swap, chasis, shortening, lengthening etc can be done easily. Converting IFS set up with coil spring to a 4WD Torsion bar set up cannot be done safely outside the factory. I feel you are underestimating the work involved. Please find a 4WD scorpio and look the changes required. You will not be able to do this safely in private workshop. It can be done, but not safely, correctly and reliably. You will be putting yourself and other in your vehicle at risk by doing this after market.
Sorry if I was not clear. Let me reiterate.

I am looking to swap the chassis precisely because I know that welding aftermarket or even at a competent garage is not advisable. Once I have the Scorpio 4wd chassis, I intend to put the torsion bar suspension as well since it will have the mounts already fabricated for it along with the transfer case, the front differential etc.

Had I been looking for local/aftermarket welding, I would have modified my existing chassis. The final list of components is as under:

1. New Scorpio 4wd chassis.
2. New Front suspension(Torsion Bar type).
3. New transfer case.
5. New Front differential.
6. Other items associated with it.

Hope this is clear.

OT: By the way, the name is not devNath but DevDath.
n.devdath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th December 2010, 22:22   #19
Senior - BHPian
 
SPIKE ARRESTOR's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Deutschland
Posts: 2,653
Thanked: 679 Times
Default Re: Can the Thar's 4wd be fitted onto the Scorpio 2wd?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rajith View Post
Dear Spike,
Whats your thought of MM550/MM540 body on scorpio non crde 4wd conversion (2005 model , chain drive).
vehicle is available for 4Lacx.
Body can be sold for 1Lacx.
MM 550 body Top condition 0.5Lacx
Total 3.5Lacx with AC.
Whats uer thoughts...
Rajith
Not recommended, cutting and pasting of chassis, that too for a IFS vehicle is something I do not endorse. Spike PS- Multiquote not working due to some reason, cannot reply to all queries now, will do that once its working fine.
SPIKE ARRESTOR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th December 2010, 00:46   #20
Distinguished - BHPian
 
4x4addict's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Chennai
Posts: 3,889
Thanked: 2,303 Times
Default Re: Can the Thar's 4wd be fitted onto the Scorpio 2wd?

Quote:
Originally Posted by n.devdath View Post
Sorry if I was not clear. Let me reiterate.

I am looking to swap the chassis precisely because I know that welding aftermarket or even at a competent garage is not advisable.

1. New Scorpio 4wd chassis.
2. New Front suspension(Torsion Bar type).
3. New transfer case.
5. New Front differential.
6. Other items associated with it.

Hope this is clear.

OT: By the way, the name is not devNath but DevDath.
@DevDath: Sorry it is clear to me now. This is possible and doable as the main body mounts should be the same for 2WD & 4WD Scorpio. However, the price of what you have listed above will run over 2 Lakhs at the dealer. Secondly sourcing 4x4 parts from Mahindra are very difficult as they sell only handfull of 4WD Scorpios. Given that Scorpio's hold up their value quite well, I feel that the depreciation hit on your Scorpio will be less than the cost of parts and Labor for the required swap.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPIKE ARRESTOR View Post
Not recommended, cutting and pasting of chassis, that too for a IFS vehicle is something I do not endorse. Spike
@spike: For Ranjith's plan he needs to only cut and shorten the chasis in the center flat portion and not change any suspension related mounts. This can be done at a competent shop.
4x4addict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th December 2010, 07:36   #21
Senior - BHPian
 
SPIKE ARRESTOR's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Deutschland
Posts: 2,653
Thanked: 679 Times
Default Re: Can the Thar's 4wd be fitted onto the Scorpio 2wd?

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2500cc View Post
Hi Spike, I have a 2006 XD3P Slx Bolero. Could you please let me know if it makes sense to plonk the Thar's 4x4 on my Bolero.

Cheers,
rajesh
Engine compartment is compatible, only thing which matters is the front suspension setup. Even with Solid axle up front you can install the engine but with critical clearances.

Quote:
Originally Posted by n.devdath View Post
Oh yes, and I forgot to add that I m interested in the manual shift lever powered transfer case rather than the electronic one and that is not being offered with the new Scorpio too AFAIK.
Can be done with changes in front floor pan.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyWheels View Post
Even if Spike gives you all the way it has to be done, with part number and assembly instructions you will fall short of the right man power and tools.
Rightly said, couldn't have said anything better.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashley Nair View Post
This thread is getting more and more interesting. Is it possible to plonk a Scorpio Di( pre 2005) engine on a DI Bolero without much modifications to the gear box set up?
Possible.

Quote:
Originally Posted by n.devdath View Post
The final list of components is as under:

1. New Scorpio 4wd chassis.
2. New Front suspension(Torsion Bar type).
3. New transfer case.
5. New Front differential.
6. Other items associated with it.
The above components (new) will itself cost you a bomb. Have you estimated the costs?

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4x4addict View Post
@spike: For Ranjith's plan he needs to only cut and shorten the chasis in the center flat portion and not change any suspension related mounts. This can be done at a competent shop.
I know what he is talking, my point here is suppose he cuts the chassis at the center for reducing the wheelbase, will the chassis splay (of front and rear due to the long members) match? Again, insert pieces and weld at a very critical point. There will be many other changes too!

Spike
SPIKE ARRESTOR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th December 2010, 15:05   #22
Senior - BHPian
 
n.devdath's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 3,819
Thanked: 1,431 Times
Default Re: Can the Thar's 4wd be fitted onto the Scorpio 2wd?

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPIKE ARRESTOR View Post
Can be done with changes in front floor pan.

The above components (new) will itself cost you a bomb. Have you estimated the costs?
I will, once you tell me that it is possible and we draw up a final list of components for the same.

Waiting for your reply.
n.devdath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th December 2010, 15:05   #23
BHPian
 
2500cc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 660
Thanked: 228 Times
Default Re: Can the Thar's 4wd be fitted onto the Scorpio 2wd?

Bhai,

Appreciate your response. I just want to fix the 4x4 setup from Thar on my Bolero. I do not intend to swap the engine. Can this be done ? If yes, could you please let me know the cost and risk involved ? Would you recommend any Mechs here in Bangalore ?

PS: I got this idea by sensing that Thar and Bolero have IFS.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPIKE ARRESTOR View Post
Engine compartment is compatible, only thing which matters is the front suspension setup. Even with Solid axle up front you can install the engine but with critical clearances.
Spike

Cheers,
Rajesh
2500cc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th December 2010, 16:39   #24
BHPian
 
Rajith's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: bangalore
Posts: 615
Thanked: 390 Times
Default Re: Can the Thar's 4wd be fitted onto the Scorpio 2wd?

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPIKE ARRESTOR View Post
Engine compartment is compatible, only thing which matters is the front suspension setup. Even with Solid axle up front you can install the engine but with critical clearances.



Can be done with changes in front floor pan.



Rightly said, couldn't have said anything better.



Possible.



The above components (new) will itself cost you a bomb. Have you estimated the costs?



I know what he is talking, my point here is suppose he cuts the chassis at the center for reducing the wheelbase, will the chassis splay (of front and rear due to the long members) match? Again, insert pieces and weld at a very critical point. There will be many other changes too!

Spike
hi Spike/4x4 addict,
Whats the lenght difference between a scorpio chasis and a Thar chasis,
I am planning to extend the MM550 body with a 2005 scorpio 4wd..
Advice uer thoughts,
Rajith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th December 2010, 21:13   #25
Senior - BHPian
 
SPIKE ARRESTOR's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Deutschland
Posts: 2,653
Thanked: 679 Times
Default Re: Can the Thar's 4wd be fitted onto the Scorpio 2wd?

Quote:
Originally Posted by n.devdath View Post
I will, once you tell me that it is possible and we draw up a final list of components for the same.
I never said, this is not possible. Only thing is, I don't endorse it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2500cc View Post

Appreciate your response. I just want to fix the 4x4 setup from Thar on my Bolero. I do not intend to swap the engine. Can this be done ? If yes, could you please let me know the cost and risk involved ? Would you recommend any Mechs here in Bangalore ?
Rajesh, I guess you have a Bolero SLX, front suspension geometry is different for Thar and Bolero SLX, so swapping suspension is not so easy, risks are huge coz it involves lot of precision welding on the chassis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rajith View Post
hi Spike/4x4 addict,
Whats the lenght difference between a scorpio chasis and a Thar chasis,
I am planning to extend the MM550 body with a 2005 scorpio 4wd..
Advice uer thoughts,
Scorpio WB- 2680 mm, Thar- 2430 mm, 250 mm difference.

Spike
SPIKE ARRESTOR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th December 2010, 21:24   #26
BHPian
 
2500cc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 660
Thanked: 228 Times
Default Re: Can the Thar's 4wd be fitted onto the Scorpio 2wd?

Spike, no other options to convert my Bolero to 4wd ?


Quote:
Originally Posted by SPIKE ARRESTOR View Post
Rajesh, I guess you have a Bolero SLX, front suspension geometry is different for Thar and Bolero SLX, so swapping suspension is not so easy, risks are huge coz it involves lot of precision welding on the chassis.
2500cc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th December 2010, 22:27   #27
Senior - BHPian
 
SPIKE ARRESTOR's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Deutschland
Posts: 2,653
Thanked: 679 Times
Default Re: Can the Thar's 4wd be fitted onto the Scorpio 2wd?

Get a Bolero LX SWB with MDI TC, Solid axle upfront, FFRA. The best 4wd Bolero as of now.

Spike
SPIKE ARRESTOR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th December 2010, 23:29   #28
Distinguished - BHPian
 
4x4addict's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Chennai
Posts: 3,889
Thanked: 2,303 Times
Default Re: Can the Thar's 4wd be fitted onto the Scorpio 2wd?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rajith View Post
hi Spike/4x4 addict,
Whats the lenght difference between a scorpio chasis and a Thar chasis,
I am planning to extend the MM550 body with a 2005 scorpio 4wd..
Advice uer thoughts,
@Ranjith: A member on our forum jyoeb has extended the MM540 body to fit a Bolero 4WD Chasis. It actually looks very good. Check out his thread for details.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2500cc View Post
Spike, no other options to convert my Bolero to 4wd ?
Guess, you haven't been reading the responses to your original query..
4x4addict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th December 2010, 23:33   #29
Senior - BHPian
 
n.devdath's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 3,819
Thanked: 1,431 Times
Default Re: Can the Thar's 4wd be fitted onto the Scorpio 2wd?

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPIKE ARRESTOR View Post
I never said, this is not possible. Only thing is, I don't endorse it.
Thanks Spike,
So, can you pl tell me the list of components that need to be sourced so that I can begin to inquire about their prices and other commercial details to begin with.
n.devdath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th December 2010, 16:15   #30
Senior - BHPian
 
n.devdath's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 3,819
Thanked: 1,431 Times
Default Re: Can the Thar's 4wd be fitted onto the Scorpio 2wd?

Spike,
Still waiting for your reply.

Other gurus too can pitch in.
n.devdath is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Mahindra Scorpio CRDe - 2WD to 4WD conversion suhasd75 Modifications & Accessories 8 3rd November 2009 18:02
Can Indica Xeta foglights be fitted onto an OHC? Dippy Modifications & Accessories 16 8th January 2007 22:03
Can the Cup Console in Newer Zens be fitted onto the Old ones raghuram.cg Modifications & Accessories 11 17th June 2006 16:40
4WD Vs 2WD - The Difference !!! FrozEN_BHP Technical Stuff 9 16th February 2006 02:30


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 09:20.

Copyright 2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks