Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > 4x4 & Off-Roading > 4x4 Technical


Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 7th January 2011, 16:37   #1
Newbie
 
atheistrical's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Gangtok
Posts: 23
Thanked: Once
Default Gypsy 410: Maximum Load Carrying Capacity

Hello folks,

I've been using my MG410 (see thread at http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/4x4-te...o-gypsy-2.html (Omni Carb onto Gypsy!) for pictures) for quite some time now and enjoying every bit out of it. Presently, I was looking to use it for goods carriage to one of my work-sites as the road being too narrow there, it's impossible to use a truck. Before I could dare and be over confident, I thought it would be wise to know how much burden could my vehicle really sustain. My assumption is about 1500 kgs, is that right? That would be about 30 bags of usual cement. The road is quite bumpy and unmetalled.

I asked a local mechanic about the condition of leaf springs and he says they are quite ok. What precautions must I take and how much "rated" load can a MG410 bear?

Thanks.
atheistrical is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 7th January 2011, 17:59   #2
BANNED
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Pune
Posts: 1,201
Thanked: 803 Times
Exclamation Re: Gypsy 410: Maximum Load Carrying Capacity

Quote:
Originally Posted by atheistrical View Post
Hello folks,

I've been using my MG410 (see thread at http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/4x4-te...o-gypsy-2.html (Omni Carb onto Gypsy!) for pictures) for quite some time now and enjoying every bit out of it. Presently, I was looking to use it for goods carriage to one of my work-sites as the road being too narrow there, it's impossible to use a truck. Before I could dare and be over confident, I thought it would be wise to know how much burden could my vehicle really sustain. My assumption is about 1500 kgs, is that right? That would be about 30 bags of usual cement. The road is quite bumpy and unmetalled.

I asked a local mechanic about the condition of leaf springs and he says they are quite ok. What precautions must I take and how much "rated" load can a MG410 bear?

Thanks.
1) Find a Owners manual , look for the figures

If thats not available then IMHO

a) should not exceed 700 kg ( including driver ,fuel ,passengers ) IN ANY CASE
b ) If going crosscountry then 300 kg max


No way 1500 kg payload for Gypsy

Another method ,( use caution & sense ) go on loading till the leaf springs go flat ,then reduce some load ( 25% approx ) of the loaded weight .I think this will work on safer side

Sudarshan
Sudarshan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th January 2011, 19:46   #3
Team-BHP Support
 
Jaggu's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 14,754
Thanked: 2,207 Times
Default Re: Gypsy 410: Maximum Load Carrying Capacity

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sudarshan View Post

Another method ,( use caution & sense ) go on loading till the leaf springs go flat ,then reduce some load ( 25% approx ) of the loaded weight .I think this will work on safer side
Mine had ferried about 6 0r 8 bags once upon a time But yes watch the leafs ^^^ is the best possible way without knowing the exact figures.
Jaggu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th January 2011, 10:10   #4
BHPian
 
Gypsy-Boy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Bengaluru
Posts: 298
Thanked: 7 Times
Default Re: Gypsy 410: Maximum Load Carrying Capacity

atheistrical - I was using my Gypsy king for deliveries and at that time had put a maximum of ~1.5tons + 2 people (I was into juices and each box would weigh 14kgs max load was 110 boxes would have put more but didnt have the space). Initially I was on LPG and there was a huge lag in power, then when I shifted to Petrol the lag reduced significantly.

For this I had got the leafs recalibrated (read recambered + extra leaves) for the said load (had asked my mech to get it done). This has resulted in a much more stiffer ride compared with other gypsy's when there is no load.

I have gone on bumpy / non existent roads and with the load (height), the vehicle tends to sway. The load was stacked right up to the soft top height.
If you are gonna lug cement, you may not have excessive sway as the height of the same would be lesser.

If i remember correctly, you have a 1 ltr Gypsy. Please ensure that you do not put excessive load on the engine (mainly the clutch) while carrying load.

The max load I have put in a stock gypsy king was about 1 ton (60 cases @14kgs each + 2 people)

The stock gypsy was designed as a 8 people car and can carry a load of 600kgs

Hope this helps
Cheers
GB
Gypsy-Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th January 2011, 10:17   #5
Distinguished - BHPian
 
condor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Speed-brkr City
Posts: 8,357
Thanked: 1,649 Times
Default Re: Gypsy 410: Maximum Load Carrying Capacity

Rated carrying capacity = GVW - Kerb weight.

Ref the owners manual for ref. (Officially Rated) Capacity should be typically 500kg's, as is the case with most LMV's, SUV's included. Capacity includes weight of driver & passengers.
condor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th January 2011, 10:57   #6
BHPian
 
starter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 790
Thanked: 140 Times
Default Re: Gypsy 410: Maximum Load Carrying Capacity

Quote:
Originally Posted by condor View Post
Rated carrying capacity = GVW - Kerb weight.

Ref the owners manual for ref. (Officially Rated) Capacity should be typically 500kg's, as is the case with most LMV's, SUV's included. Capacity includes weight of driver & passengers.
+1 to Condor. The difference in GVW and Kerb weight is 600 kgs (I checked it in the owners manual of my vehicle - Gypsy King).
Assuming you are about 70kgs, according to the manufacturer, you should not load it beyond 500 kgs.
Cheers,
Deepak

PS: I hope, the figures were similar for MG410 too.
starter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th January 2011, 11:27   #7
BANNED
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Pune
Posts: 1,201
Thanked: 803 Times
Exclamation Re: Gypsy 410: Maximum Load Carrying Capacity

Dear all ,
Ha Ha

I almost forgot the MG 410 service manual for this topic

Have a look , SO Gross Vehicle weight - Curb weight = payload

Gypsy 410: Maximum Load Carrying Capacity-1.jpg

Sudarshan
Sudarshan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd January 2011, 21:43   #8
Newbie
 
atheistrical's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Gangtok
Posts: 23
Thanked: Once
Default Re: Gypsy 410: Maximum Load Carrying Capacity

Thank you all for the various useful inputs. All feedback was very well received and equally helpful.

Sudarshan, thank you for attaching the service manual snap-shot. Why is there, however, no entry under 'Maximum Towing Load' for Soft-top? Soft-top is what I possess.

I know that with all the gathered information, I couldn't burden the vehicle much but I had very less choice. I had to get my work done, so I loaded about 15 bags of cement (each approximating 50 kg). I weigh about 69 kg and I had a helper seated too who weighs about 58 kg. Hence, the total payload on the vehicle was about 877 kgs. Here are my observations:

1. The leaf springs were flattened to almost horizontal position, but the depression was more in the rear than the front ones.
2. The steering seemed hard at times, but was just normal mostly.
3. Since the drive was on rough terrain, I resorted to drive at a very low speed (say 10 kmph).
4. The overall drive was pleasant.

Thanks again for the inputs received from all.
atheistrical is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 29th August 2013, 07:43   #9
BHPian
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Calicut
Posts: 27
Thanked: 3 Times
Default Re: Gypsy 410: Maximum Load Carrying Capacity

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sudarshan View Post
Dear all ,
Ha Ha

I almost forgot the MG 410 service manual for this topic

Have a look , SO Gross Vehicle weight - Curb weight = payload

Attachment 479163

Sudarshan
can you please share the MG410W service manual ? I really need it. Please help...
neon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th August 2013, 12:41   #10
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Delhi
Posts: 1,680
Thanked: 622 Times
Default Re: Gypsy 410: Maximum Load Carrying Capacity

In case you have to do it regularly, you can increase the GVW by "beefing" up the springs, that is what truckers do. I think one more leaf all around should increase payload by 100kg.

By the way driving with the leaf springs nearly flat may result in sudden lef breakage, so as advised decrease the load by 25% after the leaves are nearly flat.
Aroy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st September 2013, 11:24   #11
BANNED
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Pune
Posts: 1,201
Thanked: 803 Times
Default Re: Gypsy 410: Maximum Load Carrying Capacity

Quote:
Originally Posted by neon View Post
can you please share the MG410W service manual ? I really need it. Please help...
Sorry
It does not belong to me, I borrow it from a very knowledgeable person & he is not in favor of sharing the complete manual with anyone unless, known personally.

The reason he rejects such requests is, that he is fed up with the selfish,ungrateful & 'I know what I am doing' attitude of people, particularly netizens. Otherwise a lot was in offering, but he has his own " Rules", cant go beyond that.

Very sorry again

Sudarshan
Sudarshan is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 1st September 2013, 20:27   #12
BHPian
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Calicut
Posts: 27
Thanked: 3 Times
Default Re: Gypsy 410: Maximum Load Carrying Capacity

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sudarshan View Post
Sorry
It does not belong to me, I borrow it from a very knowledgeable person & he is not in favor of sharing the complete manual with anyone unless, known personally.

The reason he rejects such requests is, that he is fed up with the selfish,ungrateful & 'I know what I am doing' attitude of people, particularly netizens. Otherwise a lot was in offering, but he has his own " Rules", cant go beyond that.

Very sorry again

Sudarshan
Its ok man, there is always another way around every problem thanks for writing back bro!
neon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th December 2013, 23:14   #13
BHPian
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Kanoor
Posts: 69
Thanked: 23 Times
Default Re: Gypsy 410: Maximum Load Carrying Capacity

@neon

I have a Unused new copy of the Service manual for MG410/410W do PM me your address in case you want a copy, I shall courier you this manual.

Chengappa.
Attached Images
 
Timson is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Maruti Gypsy SJ 410 to be done up Mud Slinger 4x4 Vehicles 13 7th April 2011 13:37
Gypsy 410 front wheel wobble A-jay 4x4 Technical 17 10th May 2010 21:51
Maximum Load / Weight Vinay DL Technical Stuff 2 23rd November 2007 09:42


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 07:10.

Copyright 2000 - 2014, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks