Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > 4x4 & Off-Roading > 4x4 Technical

Old 31st January 2011, 15:54   #16
BANNED

Default Re: Maruti Gypsy MG413W - King Pin Bearing issue

Quote:
Originally Posted by headers View Post
Sir, He has got shackle lift etc etc.. GS please send pics of all your mods..before and after !!

Cheers
Hmm , another 'SIR' here , Please don't call me that , call me anything ,

I am too young for that

Anyways back to point , is this a very rare occurrence with Gypsys? or it happens .

I remember my 540's king pin life was some 35 to 40 k ( 7.00 x 15 tyres & 1750 kg + kerb weight )

But IMHO its more related to suspension functioning then damage to axle or knuckle .

Sudarshan
Sudarshan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st January 2011, 19:37   #17
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by headers View Post
I agree with the others here.

Also, you have the increased your wheel track by using negative offset wheels. This could also lead to frequent failures of the kingpin bearings and the load points are different to stock. [I mean the wheel centreline is shifted outside of the bearing centreline]

Your KPI is not correct leading to frequent breakages!
@Guru, there are umpteen reasons for KP failures, however points mentioned here are the main culprits. I agree with headers, have a look at your Knuckle also.

Spike
SPIKE ARRESTOR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th February 2011, 18:42   #18
BHPian

The Gypsy is at the service center getting checked out. I am heading there in the morning to check the trueness of the axle tube and also to follow Sudarshan's instructions. The mechanic working on my Gypsy also commented about the shims being off and improper grease packing. He also seems to know a bit about off-roading because he said that this can happen if you ford water and then don't re-grease the bearings.

I'm not going near deep water again!
gsferrari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th February 2011, 19:42   #19
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by gsferrari View Post
The mechanic working on my Gypsy also commented about the shims being off and improper grease packing. He also seems to know a bit about off-roading because he said that this can happen if you ford water and then don't re-grease the bearings.

I'm not going near deep water again!
Good to hear that

IMHO if the job is done properly ( the oil seals etc ) & with due care there is no chance of water entering into the assembly .

also you need to put long tubes on axle breathers if you are a regular off roader for rainy season ( ask Allan about this )

fording water up to half the tyre height should not be a problem . The problem may come if you keep the vehicle stationary & the axles submerged for some time .

IMHO , Submerging the components for a time will cause more problems than a moving vehicle, ( to say about 24" depth of a 20 feet of crossing)

Here DEEP seems the key word , but how much ? we need some experience sharing here , Arkaji, Allanji, Tejasji, Spikeji ,Devangji ?

Sudarshan
Old 4th February 2011, 19:49   #20
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sudarshan View Post
also you need to put long tubes on axle breathers if you are a regular off roader for rainy season ( ask Allan about this )

fording water up to half the tyre height should not be a problem . The problem may come if you keep the vehicle stationary & the axles submerged for some time .

IMHO , Submerging the components for a time will cause more problems than a moving vehicle, ( to say about 24" depth of a 20 feet of crossing)
As long as one moves in water, there is no problem upto bonnet level. All problems start once one gets stuck!

Also breather need to be routed properly and secured along the way!

GS: Welcome to offroad fantasy disco
headers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th February 2011, 20:01   #21
Senior - BHPian

In a jeep I generally remove all 4 hubs and clean and repack with new grease after every water fording. Also, this gets the brakes checked. Benefit of a jeep is all this can be done under 600Rs max (Aok Vs the problems there after).

Regds to the breather pipe, get the best you can... and make sure they are fastened correctly. My rear rubber pipe cooked over the muffler end can during the ride to the bangy annual otr; making it useless!!
svsantosh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th February 2011, 19:13   #22
BHPian

Quick update:

I got a call from the workshop stating that I was looking at Rs.8800 in parts and labor extra. Now I need to push them for warranty but I am not sure if these parts are even covered under warranty as this comes under wear and tear. I could argue that it has happened several times before but at this point I just want the Gypsy back!

Axle Housing
Bearings
Shims
Pressure Washers
Knuckle joint
King Pins

these are what I could gather from the telephone conversation. Going there tomorrow to find out more. Confused about the "axle housing" - is it the same as the knuckle joint?
Old 5th February 2011, 19:24   #23
BANNED

Quote:
Quick update:

Confused about the "axle housing" - is it the same as the knuckle joint?
Confusing for me too , if its needed then that's too much of a damage , very unusual .

That was the first & last thing I would wish not to happen.

claim warrenty

Sudarshan
Old 5th February 2011, 19:31   #24
BHPian

I had a suspicion after my BIG-AIR moment at Alibaug and then again after my BIG-AIR moment at Mahape. I am decidedly averse to getting my wheels off the ground moving forward and will do whatever it takes to learn to drive without getting into that situation. This sucks!
Old 5th February 2011, 19:46   #25
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Confused about the "axle housing" - is it the same as the knuckle joint?
Knuckle joint is your King pin (closed knuckle ball joint / ball yoke). Hope this helps:-

Name:  1.jpg
Views: 1883
Size:  26.8 KB

Spike
Old 5th February 2011, 19:53   #26
BHPian

Ok newbie question time. Isn't the whole axle housing 1 piece including the gear carrier assembly?
Or are the axle tubes fitted into the gear carrier?
Old 5th February 2011, 20:03   #27
Senior - BHPian

It depends if it is a Salisbury axle or a Banjo type axle. If it is a Banjo type axle it is all in one piece with the gear carrier bolted to the axle housing (Gypsy comes with this setup IIRC). Jeeps come with a Salisbury axle setup, here the tubes are pressed into the gear carrier assembly and then puddle welded at 3 or 6 places depending on the design. Will post a comparative pic of both if required.

Spike

PS- Check this out- http://www.68cuda.com/rear.html

Last edited by SPIKE ARRESTOR : 5th February 2011 at 20:05. Reason: added info
Old 5th February 2011, 20:14   #28
BHPian

Thanks Spike - yes Gypsy uses Banjo type. So essentially my worst fears have come true and I am essentially replacing an entire axle housing! I expected it was bent because of the weird camber measurements I was getting when I tried to get the Trepadors aligned. Camber was inequal on L and R side and the technician said that something was out of whack as the camber was significantly higher than normal for a Gypsy.

Anyway...I'll post pictures tomorrow.
Old 6th February 2011, 17:25   #29
BHPian

Golly! Went and checked my Gypsy out today and the axle housing is bent like a banana! Getting the whole assembly replaced. Also getting the steering wheel from a K10 alto fitted...MUCH better than the stock Gypsy wheel.
Old 6th February 2011, 18:37   #30
BANNED

Quote:
Golly! Went and checked my Gypsy out today and the axle housing is bent like a banana! .
how ? you find any reasons ? any pics ?

looks like our knowledge at your cost .

Sudarshan