Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > 4x4 & Off-Roading > 4x4 Technical

Old 5th May 2012, 15:57   #61
Senior - BHPian

Default Re: DDIS in 1990 Gypsy sj410, will it work?

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirAlec View Post
BTW the answer is for the question how much torque needed for a healthy offroading so that you are not stuck in any weird situation.

Chasis redesign ? Its just the mounting points that needs to be improvised. Gypsy uses ladderframe so issue as chasis is already stiff enough.

Every time people have put toyota or nissan diesel they have used a different GB altogether. so the answer is out of the scope of this thread.
Quote:
Originally Posted by headers View Post
One could always get stuck in a weird / funny / awkward situation as enough is "never enough" for all terrains / circumstances.

Its NOT like if one had the most powerful vehicle, one could win any event / race
Year in and year out 4x4 competitions are NOT won by people with the biggest engines. They are won by people with adequate engines but with more attention paid to gearing, suspension, tyres, driver skills and all the variables that lead to putting USABLE power to the ground at the right place and time.
DirtyDan is offline   (6) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 5th May 2012, 22:41   #62
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtyDan View Post
Year in and year out 4x4 competitions are NOT won by people with the biggest engines. They are won by people with adequate engines but with more attention paid to gearing, suspension, tyres, driver skills and all the variables that lead to putting USABLE power to the ground at the right place and time.
Very apt answer sir. Recent Desert Storm has to be the biggest example. Who would have thought a TATA Sumo would have fared so well. But again my answer was to the torque figures that is atleast required to get out of any situation

Seriously this thread is going out of topic more and more. I am one of the culprit.
SirAlec is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 1st February 2017, 16:02   #63
BHPian

Let me revive this long defunct thread by posting this teaser video. This is a Gypsy I came across recently in Delhi.

I would like to know who else on the forum has done a successful 1.3 DDIS swap on their Gypsy retaining the 4x4 and what are your reviews on the same. What are the various teething troubles that you are experiencing with this setup?

regards
Dr A Ghosh

Last edited by abheekg : 1st February 2017 at 16:06. Reason: adding details
abheekg is offline   (3) Thanks Reply With Quote