Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > 4x4 & Off-Roading > 4x4 Technical

Old 24th December 2016, 11:28   #31
Senior - BHPian

Default Re: Fitting the Jerry Can

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tanmay K View Post
I need to carry two 20L jerry cans for an upcoming trip. Is it safe to carry these cans inside the vehicle, given that they are well secured, seated properly and sealed?

The reason I ask is because unless safety is a major issue, I would rather have the cans inside the vehicle as it requires relatively easier modification, and is less prone to theft.
Fuel tanks should not be sealed, as the constant motion as well as temperature rise will give rise to vapours that will exert pressure on the can surface. That can result in the cans bulging or in worse case explosion.

Fuel tanks have to have a vent to release excess pressure which can either be a simple hole in the lid or a pressure relief valve. That means that unless you are careful in fixing the cans properly, they will leak.

In short carrying cans inside the vehicle is not advisable. That is why they are carried outside the vehicle in custom made fixtures.
Aroy is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 9th April 2017, 12:31   #32
BHPian

Quote:
I recently bought (plastic) ProQuip 20L cans. Never used them before but the seals appear to be of solid quality, so I'm hoping there will be no leakage/fumes.
could you please provide your review for the ProQuip cans. did you feel any fuel fumes or smell inside the vehicle ?
I plan to buy one of these - yellow Plastic for Diesel storage.

Last edited by pcpranav : 9th April 2017 at 12:32.
pcpranav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th April 2017, 12:35   #33
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pcpranav View Post
cdid you feel any fuel fumes or smell inside the vehicle ?
I ended up deciding not to put the cans inside the vehicle at all. I have a roof carrier that can be bolted on easily when needed and will be mounting the cans on the carrier itself. Haven't tested the cans within a closed space, although there don't seem to be leaks of any kind.
Tanmay K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th April 2017, 17:49   #34
BHPian

Quote:
I ended up deciding not to put the cans inside the vehicle at all. I have a roof carrier that can be bolted on easily when needed and will be mounting the cans on the carrier itself. Haven't tested the cans within a closed space, although there don't seem to be leaks of any kind.
thanks for your revert. I have ordered the 20L can and delivery would happen by next week. May I request to share pics of the mounting on roof-carrier. Also will there be any issues of can movement or fuel leaks, when vehicle is negotiating bad roads for few days.
based on your inputs of roof mounting, and after seeing the can in real, I may want to order another 20L can. All this for a long trip.

FYI, I have Xylo and will be folding the third row seat to hold my luggage.

regards,
pcpranav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th May 2017, 16:23   #35
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pcpranav View Post
thanks for your revert. I have ordered the 20L can and delivery would happen by next week. May I request to share pics of the mounting on roof-carrier. Also will there be any issues of can movement or fuel leaks, when vehicle is negotiating bad roads for few days.
based on your inputs of roof mounting, and after seeing the can in real, I may want to order another 20L can. All this for a long trip.

FYI, I have Xylo and will be folding the third row seat to hold my luggage.

regards,
Are these available in India? I am looking for 20L plastic jerry cans specifically made for fuel.
dinesha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th May 2017, 18:21   #36
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dinesha View Post
Are these available in India? I am looking for 20L plastic jerry cans specifically made for fuel.
These are very easily available at ACE Hardware in UAE/ Dubai
I saw them just last week. Some come with built in funnel and some come plain. Funnels are available separately too.

They cost anywhere from 69 AED for a 5L Can to 179 AED for a 20L Can.
And you can get their mountings too at ACE.
Funnels cost 9-12 AED each.

Try and see if you can order one from ACE direct on their website OR through Desertcart.ae

All the best!
shankar.balan is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 6th May 2017, 00:14   #37
BHPian

I got my ProQuik make 20L yellow (diesel) can from BlueGarage.in for Rs.3000. http://bluegarage.in/Product.aspx?catid=103~119.

Two days back he told me that stuff is now available in stock, talk to them.
pcpranav is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 6th May 2017, 02:31   #38
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dinesha View Post
http://www.swastikfabs.in/4x4-Accessories.html

They have a can which we generally use in place of the much more expensive Rotapax versions. Takes a lot of punishment, standing up to fast dune runs, bumpy rock rides and all this at ridiculous temperatures outside (upto 50 deg plus plus).

This one (or multiples thereof) mounted on the roof = low profile external mounting without risk.

Of course if money isn't a constraint one would go for the Rotapax with dedicated (and also expensive) Rotapax mounts.
Steeroid is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 19th May 2017, 13:24   #39
Distinguished - BHPian

Made a DIY holder for the Proquip jerry can for my Pajero - to be fitted on the rhino rack.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/4x4-ve...ml#post4201297 (Mitsubishi Pajero SFX - Project Overland Conversion)
Tejas@perioimpl is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote