Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > 4x4 & Off-Roading > 4x4 Technical

Old 22nd May 2015, 18:36   #346
Senior - BHPian

Say Hello to the WILLERO.
The present and hopefully on its way to completion and mud plugging, status of my beloved Willys Station Wagon.
This was what I had initially wanted it to be.
Oh well better late than never.

Pictures for you all.
Attached Thumbnails
New 4X4 project-1432300122047.jpg  

New 4X4 project-1432300149336.jpg  

New 4X4 project-1432300167559.jpg  

New 4X4 project-1432300191008.jpg  

Last edited by Rudra Sen : 27th May 2015 at 07:53. Reason: Back to back posts merged
jyobeb is offline   (3) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 22nd May 2015, 20:30   #347
BHPian

I've been waiting for your build to get done for so long. Really can't wait to see the beast once it is fully done.
HighwayofLife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd May 2015, 00:06   #348
BHPian

Default Re: New 4X4 project

Kindly consider reversing the insulation on fire wall. Reflective surface should be towards the hotter side for better heat rejection.

For best results it should be pasted on the engine side of the fire wall.

cheers

Quote:
Originally Posted by jyobeb View Post
Pictures for you all.
vishwaschettri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th May 2015, 14:45   #349
BHPian

jyobeb, Did you change the whole under pinnings to Pajero? Chassis, power train etc.

Abin
dracul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th May 2015, 02:29   #350
BHPian

I was wondering if its me or is the setup actually looking different.. Did you change the configuration as well? I could see something resembling the earlier chassis in one of the pic parked behind where the work is getting execute..

Looks confusing!

Last edited by Twinn : 27th May 2015 at 02:32.
Twinn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th May 2015, 06:38   #351
Distinguished - BHPian

Have you / are you planing to integrate a roll-cage into the body itself (from inside ? )
condor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th May 2015, 18:39   #352
BHPian

Have had an eye on this thread for awhile. Really like the looks of these wagons, and with others I'm eagerly anticipating the finished product.

My grandfather drove one of these around in Venezuela for years; with the horrendously treacherous so-called roads (both in mountains and plains) and river crossings of the day, it was the only thing he found that could suitably replace his Model A Ford.

Saw a post by someone below objecting to your "mutilating" a perfectly good Willys by joining it to Safari mechanicals; and on that note I'll share a little story:

The grandfather in question was already above fifty years old when he got his Willys' (first a pickup converted to a people-carrier, and then the station wagon), and was already partially deaf. A few years later, he underwent surgery that substantially restored his hearing, and upon his first ride in his car after that, commented, "I'd have never bought this thing if I'd known how noisy / rattley it was".

All cars have their particular inherent weaknesses, and the passage of time moreover changes our requirements and expectations.

The Willys (not so unlike our Marshal really), was not a very large step up from a tractor; the post-war Jeep was in fact a tractor-replacement in many cases (ever seen the PTO lawn-mowers, post-hole-diggers, etc, you could get for them?). It's crude, rough, full of (normal) mechanical noises, incapable of high speeds (or stability at those), and a little fatiguing to drive. That old Willys for years successfully carried the rugged patriarch continually over 1950's Venezuelan "roads" that would compare unfavorably to those even in the remotest regions of modern India (some of the surviving descriptions that my grandmother wrote out depict unbelievably bad conditions).

A Safari could not have fared as well over the long run as that Willys did in the context - but what a Safari CAN manage, it manages with a lot more comfort and balance than the old Willys ever could have. Fragile sentiments of the purists notwithstanding, these "hybrid" creations really do justice to both old classic designs (which are unique and nice to look at but not very useful), and the new machinery (which is more user-friendly but too common to be of much interest).

Great project and thanks for sharing it with us. A whole education in there.

-Eric

Last edited by ringoism : 30th May 2015 at 18:41.
ringoism is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st May 2015, 16:16   #353
Senior - BHPian

Thanks Eric! I could not have put it more succinctly.
Actually the Willys now is built onto a Pajero 2.8 chassis and floor. This was what I wanted to do right at the beginning but could not, due to the lack of a reasonably priced donor.
The whole setup is now packaged a whole better with the increase in wheelbase freeing up the front wheel well, even with 35" tyres as well as a cleaner engine bay. The reliability and refinement should be topnotch now.
Oh and by the way, I am transplanting the entire wiring and setup into the wagon which will be India's only Willys wagon with ABS, EBD and airbags!
@ Condor - Do you think I should?

@ Dracul - Spot on man!

@ Twinn - Sharp eyes. That is indeed the old platform you see.

Last edited by jyobeb : 31st May 2015 at 16:20.
Old 31st May 2015, 18:56   #354
BHPian

Did you change out the engine as well, or are you using the same Turbo-charged DCM Toyota engine that you started with? This is one expensive build. But hats off to your love and dedication. I hope you also plan to put in a really fancy ICE set-up. That would add some fun to your off-roading adventures!! Though not sure if you'd find a water proof amp and speakers (I'm sure they exist somewhere)
Old 1st June 2015, 00:15   #355
BHPian

Yes, Marine audio equipment are water proof. On this note, have you used the DCM Toyota engine with its own gearbox? I haven't seen one but is this gearbox too long for a 2wd jeep?
drsamuelk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st June 2015, 23:45   #356
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by drsamuelk View Post
Yes, Marine audio equipment are water proof. On this note, have you used the DCM Toyota engine with its own gearbox? I haven't seen one but is this gearbox too long for a 2wd jeep?
I had used the engine off a Toyota Surf and used the original DCM Toyota bell hsousing alone. The DCM Gbox is big beefy unt but its 2WD.
Anyhow, that setup is up for a CJ6 build!

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighwayofLife View Post
Did you change out the engine as well, or are you using the same Turbo-charged DCM Toyota engine that you started with? This is one expensive build. But hats off to your love and dedication. I hope you also plan to put in a really fancy ICE set-up. That would add some fun to your off-roading adventures!! Though not sure if you'd find a water proof amp and speakers (I'm sure they exist somewhere)
I am using an entire Pajero platform. Imagine a Pajero with the entire body except for the floor, removed! I have mounted the Willys wagon onto this platform.
The ICE is going to be a work of art by itself. Will share pics soon!

Last edited by jyobeb : 1st June 2015 at 23:46.
Old 2nd June 2015, 08:14   #357
BHPian

Quote:
I am using an entire Pajero platform. Imagine a Pajero with the entire body except for the floor, removed! I have mounted the Willys wagon onto this platform.
The ICE is going to be a work of art by itself. Will share pics soon!
That will be an extremely reliable machine indeed, and ought to serve you well for years to come.

For the ICE, may I suggest a separate thread in the "Sound Off and Show Off" section? I'm really itching to know what you're planning on that front.

Really looking forward to the completed build.
Old 6th June 2015, 20:40   #358
Senior - BHPian

I am using the entire bulkhead plate from the Pajero for mounting the brake booster and pedal and the clutch MC and pedal as well as the entire steering assembly.
In case I did not mention it, I will be using the ABS and Airbags from the Pajero in the Wagon.
Attached Thumbnails
New 4X4 project-1433603366864.jpg  

New 4X4 project-1433603384746.jpg  

New 4X4 project-1433603399213.jpg  

New 4X4 project-1433603412964.jpg  

jyobeb is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 6th June 2015, 22:34   #359
BHPian

Quote:
Anyhow, that setup is up for a CJ6 build!
And have you found a CJ6 body to mount on that chassis? That engine and body should make it one mighty muscular CJ6
Old 6th June 2015, 23:05   #360
BHPian

Jyobeb, how cheap was this donor Pajero and how old was it?
drsamuelk is offline   Reply With Quote