Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > 4x4 & Off-Roading > 4x4 Technical

Old 19th March 2011, 09:32   #1
BHPian

Default Tata safari front hub noise at 4H only

I am getting a periodic noise from the front hub at 4H in my safari. Its a periodic sound, like a rotating object touching an obstacle. Any ideas?
sumannandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th March 2011, 11:10   #2
BHPian

Default re: Tata safari front hub noise at 4H only

Is it like this attached mp3? I get it in 2WD mode on my Gypsy.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/4x4-ve...ml#post2269079

--Ragul
Ragul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th March 2011, 11:38   #3
BHPian

The sound is similar, but the sound is coming only at 4wd high. And unlike your case, the sound is always on while driving at 4H.
Old 20th March 2011, 21:03   #4
BHPian

Can you describe the noise a bit more in detail.

1. Does it come after some time of engaging the 4H or is it there as soon as you engage it?

2. Effect of vehicle speed. Is the noise frequency related to the vehicle speed?

3. Is it a shrill squeaking noise or a clang-clang type of noise?

4. Did you do any water fording or extensive 4H usage in gravel / hilly area?

First thing to check is the Transfer case oil level and the Front Axle Oil level. Front wheel bearings could be the next to check. Please eliminate all possibilities before getting the front hubs opened.
Traveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st March 2011, 07:08   #5
BANNED

Exclamation Re: Tata safari front hub noise at 4H only

Quote:
Originally Posted by sumannandy View Post
I am getting a periodic noise from the front hub at 4H in my safari. Its a periodic sound, like a rotating object touching an obstacle. Any ideas?
Hello , regarding your problem ; there is some official help you can get ,

Please check your PM box . ( have sent you some info )

Sudarshan
Sudarshan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th April 2011, 10:26   #6
BHPian

Default Re: Tata safari front hub noise at 4H only

Thank you for your PM, I am in touch with him and following his advice.

However, I am looking for a competent garage who is willing to do the troubleshooting per his instructions. Concorde is not at all helpful and they want me to spend Rs. 16k for replacement which may not be necessary.

If anybody is aware of a competent garage in Bangalore (preferably south Bangalore), please let me know,
Old 8th April 2011, 11:46   #7
BANNED

@ sumannandy, Glad to know that .

He is a very helpful & prompt person . He is a wannabe bhpian too .

I couldn't provide his contact on open forum .

BTW ' this ' gentleman is still waiting to get his membership approved here .

Anyway thanks for taking note & hope your problem gets sorted out .

There cannot be any better source ( for this problem ) than 'this' guy .

Sudarshan
Sudarshan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th April 2011, 12:36   #8
Team-BHP Support

Please do this experiment.
Shift to 4H, drive some, and then switch to 2H and do not reverse, so that even in 2H the hubs still are locked.
If the noise goes away, then its not from the hubs, but from the transfer case or prop shaft related.
tsk1979 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th April 2011, 17:34   #9
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sudarshan View Post
@ sumannandy, Glad to know that .

He is a very helpful & prompt person . He is a wannabe bhpian too .

I couldn't provide his contact on open forum .

BTW ' this ' gentleman is still waiting to get his membership approved here .

Anyway thanks for taking note & hope your problem gets sorted out .

There cannot be any better source ( for this problem ) than 'this' guy .

Sudarshan
He is very very helpful. He has even taken photos and written instructions on how to solve the problems.

Concorde was pushing for complete assembly replacement. Just learnt that all internal parts are also available with TATA, and the dealer was just trying to make money. If I did not talk to him, I would have ended up paying Rs. 16k.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post
Please do this experiment.
Shift to 4H, drive some, and then switch to 2H and do not reverse, so that even in 2H the hubs still are locked.
If the noise goes away, then its not from the hubs, but from the transfer case or prop shaft related.
I think the noise is coming from the hub only, but will get it checked anyway.
Old 17th April 2011, 12:10   #10
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I think the noise is coming from the hub only, but will get it checked anyway.
Just check if the noise is in both 4H and 4L or only in 4H. Some where on this forum a similar problem was reported. The cause was a bolt touching the front prop shaft. It is pretty simple check, jack up the vehicle and check for fouling.
Aroy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th May 2011, 21:27   #11
BHPian

The noise problem was resolved by changing a washer.

The complete credit goes to Sudarshan and Mr. Gajanan Chitale (from Digvi warner). Concorde motors initially insisted on replacing the entire assembly for Rs. 16k. But he helped me at every step with detailed diagram of the assembly and instructions and part number to resolve the issue. He also offered to repair the unit if sent to the factory, and took up the case with Tata Motors and dealership. Finally the dealer agreed to repair it and the final cost was Rs. 300 only.

I had an interesting discussion with him today. He confirmed that 4H and 4L can be used on dry tarmac. However, if used for extended period, it might damage the tires only. No other damage will occur.
sumannandy is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 27th May 2011, 21:36   #12
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I had an interesting discussion with him today. He confirmed that 4H and 4L can be used on dry tarmac. However, if used for extended period, it might damage the tires only. No other damage will occur.
I wonder how true that is since the centre diff gets locked when you engaged 4x4. What he says may be true under wet slippery conditions on tarmac, but Im quite sure there will be damage when used on dry tarmac.

Any expert comments please?
jaysmokesleaves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th May 2011, 23:09   #13
Senior - BHPian

I drove my Safari at over a 100kmph for over 3 kms of highway including high speed turns, before I realized I was on 4H. Nothing happened to the Safari and I proceeded to run another 25K Km before I sold it.
jyobeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th May 2011, 23:25   #14
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysmokesleaves View Post
I wonder how true that is since the centre diff gets locked when you engaged 4x4. What he says may be true under wet slippery conditions on tarmac, but Im quite sure there will be damage when used on dry tarmac.

Any expert comments please?
I guarantee you that you will damage elements of your drive train if you operate your Safari in 4x4 mode on drive pavement for some distance...say 70 kilometers or so. Curves and corners will accelerate the damage. I have done this on purpose as a test driver and I have seen parts fail due to this, most noticeably, whole transmissions. The reason is that in 4x4 mode the front and rear axles travel at different speeds especially around curves. Because the front and rear axles are connected in 4x4, the friction arising from the front/rear speed differential has to produced somewhere and it is not on your tyres. It is in your drivetrain.

This is called drive train "wind up" and you will probably find info on this on the web and on this site. Don't do it. The effects are widely and well known.

You get tyre slippage on very wet or off road surfaces from 4x4 operation. That is why "wind up" is considerably less, although possibly still present. Actually, because Safari is relatively heavy, I would not operate it in 4x4 mode on wet roads either. You could probably do so with a light weight Gypsy however, depending on type of tyre. I am assuming your Safari has no center differential. Right?

Last edited by DirtyDan : 27th May 2011 at 23:27.
DirtyDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th May 2011, 01:04   #15
AVR
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtyDan View Post
I am assuming your Safari has no center differential. Right?
Yes. The Safari doesn't have a central differential.

Agreed with what you said Dan. I did unfortunately have to drive for about 250 odd kms with the 4H locked or the hubs engaged last month. On turns at slow speeds or making a turn from standstill, the car just wouldn't move thanks to the non-sync front and rear differentials. I would safely assume it did cause damage but have not had the chance/time to check. Everything is still working but am sure it must have unnaturally strained the transmission.
AVR is offline   Reply With Quote