Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > 4x4 & Off-Roading > 4x4 Technical

Old 24th March 2011, 13:52   #1
BHPian

Default mpfi to carb conversion

I ve got a 1l Carb gypsy , am looking to swap it with a 1.6l baleno engine.I want to go the carb way for reliability reasons off road and save a few bucks in the process. I ve got a few queries about this

1) What happens to the injectors ?
2) Will I be able to use my current fuel pump ?( 1l carb walla)
3) Ignition , what are the options i have?
4) A/c and power steering pullies , will the same ones be ok ?
5) What carb options ?
6) Will there be issues with cranking the engine ? Any security system?

TY
paras211 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th March 2011, 14:28   #2
BHPian

Default Re: mpfi to carb conversion

Paras - who told you that carb is more reliable than MPFI off-road? Are you planning to submerge your Gypsy?

AFAIK Carb vehicles usually cause most of the problems on inclines and declines!
gsferrari is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 24th March 2011, 17:31   #3
BHPian

carb will be fixable , any ecm trouble and i am stranded and aftermarket wiring is not as bullet proof as oe , i speak from experience i ve got a piggy back ecm for my corolla ( it kinda saved me because it died on my way to leopold that nasty november)
Yes i want to do water crossings .
Allan for one told me to go the carb way , ibu was gonna too but he found the ecm n wiring cheap so he went for it.
Old 24th March 2011, 18:13   #4
BHPian

If you want to plonk in the 1.6 and also want peace of mind suggest that you pick up the engine, ecm, wiring and key of the same donor Baleno if possible.

Allan will probably vouch for that
satan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th March 2011, 21:35   #5
BHPian

Go for the carb only if you are getting a good discount for not taking the mpfi system with the engine and if that discount matters a lot to you. Mpfi is better anyday. Will ensure better engine life,if and when problems arise you can switch to carb cuz all you need is to fabricate a manifold to mate the carb with the head.
mycarhasablower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th March 2011, 23:59   #6
Senior - BHPian

Buddy, MPFI is way better than old age carbs. There is, in fact, no match between the two. Why you want to switch to old school technology? Is there any specific reason behind this move? Asking because I am not much into off roading(if this is reason of move), hence the doubt prevails.

PS - This may start MPFI vs. carb discussion as well .

Last edited by bluevolt : 25th March 2011 at 00:23.
bluevolt is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 25th March 2011, 01:11   #7
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluevolt View Post
Buddy, MPFI is way better than old age carbs. There is, in fact, no match between the two. Why you want to switch to old school technology? Is there any specific reason behind this move? Asking because I am not much into off roading(if this is reason of move), hence the doubt prevails.

PS - This may start MPFI vs. carb discussion as well .
The reason is carb is fixable in the middle of nowhere , with basic tools , jugad etc. With an ecm and all the sensors it is 10 other things that can go wrong and there is nothing one can do to get the car running again, and it is an aftermarket job with second hand wiring , new costs a bomb .

Quote:
Go for the carb only if you are getting a good discount for not taking the mpfi system with the engine and if that discount matters a lot to you. Mpfi is better anyday. Will ensure better engine life,if and when problems arise you can switch to carb cuz all you need is to fabricate a manifold to mate the carb with the head.
The discount is not massive probably 10 12 k , and I'll be buying a carb and something for the ignition too , it is a little more difficult to find ecm and wiring , lots of engines available without ecm and wiring .

It is common practice in the 80s 90s muscle cars to swap to carb for problematic electronics .

Last edited by paras211 : 25th March 2011 at 01:20.
Old 25th March 2011, 11:52   #8
Senior - BHPian

Hi Paras,

Have you considered the Isuzu 1.8L Carb with 5/6 Speed Gear Box.

This can be mated to the Gypsy T-Case with just the Prop-Shaft, since the Gypsy T-Case is Divorced.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/modifi...ol-engine.html (Gypsy Powering up with ISUZU 1800 cc Petrol engine)

You can also consider the following, considering the amount you will be spending.
1) Rear Lockers
2) Gypsy King T-Case with Crawler Gears

Regards,

Arka
ex670c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th March 2011, 02:10   #9
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by paras211 View Post
The reason is carb is fixable in the middle of nowhere , with basic tools , jugad etc. With an ecm and all the sensors it is 10 other things that can go wrong and there is nothing one can do to get the car running again, and it is an aftermarket job with second hand wiring , new costs a bomb .
Being a Gypsy, the carb conversion also means, peace of mind while crossing those invincible rivers, eh?.
dhanushs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th March 2011, 09:20   #10
Senior - BHPian

Apart from what Arka said, I would suggest you have a look at the Gypsy's that are prepped for Raid De Himalaya as most of them run the Baleno engine. And considering the beating that they take, you might want to consider that setup.

Cheers
MileCruncher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th March 2011, 09:56   #11
BANNED

@ Paras , I can understand your worries , I am an old school guy so I prefer carbs.
If you compare these two old ( 70,000 km run & 10 year old ) systems then I will prefer carb in that case , but when new, I will prefer MPFI .

there is one Suggestion

Can we look deeper in MPFI specific troubleshooting ( repair ) ? WRT , on -off road problems , water related issues , sensor failure & adulterated fuel issues . this will be easier if we try to learn these things & sort out problems as & when they arise . See its not rocket science , there must be some way out .This will help restart the vehicle & reach destination .

Also , Changing from MPFI to carb wont be easy wrt to Mainly fuel consumption , overall power delivery ( smooth & even ) , total mechanical setup (inlet manifolds, exhaust redesign etc ) , & long term reliability . this will be a trial & error work .

There is another issue , as years will pass it wont be easy to get carburetor spares ( simple ones like jets etc. just ask any fiat guy ) because its going to be out of date very fast as MPFI is there for long & no more carbs will be produced . so also repairing carbs will be a task in future , as the knowledge & guys who did those things are disappearing fast .

Sudarshan

Last edited by Sudarshan : 26th March 2011 at 09:58.
Sudarshan is offline   Reply With Quote