Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > 4x4 & Off-Roading > 4x4 Technical

Old 8th September 2011, 14:01   #136
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Car-e-ok
It is a shame to see Mahindra's hardtop from their customization department that too at such a high price tag. Anyways this is what i came across yesterday . The owner lives nearby . I always appreciated this jeep whenever i passed by from that area but yesterday there was something different. It was the hardtop that is the new add on to this jeep. I couldnot believe that a hardtop can make so much difference and change the whole character to a jeep itself. It's a metal hardtop . It has proper rain channels(can be visible in the pictures itself) by the doors side. As you can see the fit and finish is very high quality. Next time i would try to talk to owner and would get some snaps of interior as well .
From the thumbnails it looked similar to a g- wagon. Can u get more photos? I'm curious about it's front view
MexXxentric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th September 2011, 14:55   #137
BANNED

Default Re: Thar Hardtop Design

Quote:
Originally Posted by amrisharm View Post
Hi guys just came across this company website that is apparently selling Thar hard tops. Seems they are based in and around Delhi. Contact details provided on their website.
The website:

BIMBRA INDUSTRIES

The below picture from the website:

Attachment 605736

(Mods pls delete if already mentioned)
good work by BIMBRA, im sure they will get plenty of customers for Thars, they specialize in hard top and interiors.
Parm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th September 2011, 11:51   #138
BHPian

Default Re: Mahindra Thar : Test Drive & Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinayvtec View Post
I would any day prefer this. With a sun-moon roof on the cockpit it will just look awesome. I think the rare piece is slide lock kind. I am also impressed with the roll cage work they have done on this
Is this hardtop OEM?
throttleking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th September 2011, 14:58   #139
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by throttleking View Post
Is this hardtop OEM?
no brother
this is not an OE fitted by the manufacturer. It comes as an after market fitment.
cheers
WC
wild child is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th September 2011, 16:16   #140
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by wild child View Post
no brother
this is not an OE fitted by the manufacturer. It comes as an after market fitment.
cheers
WC
I realized that. But not available in India right?
throttleking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th September 2011, 01:16   #141
BHPian

Latest update from Mahindra 'Customization'
Any comments??

"Dear Sir,

The wait is finally over. The much awaited & aspired “Thar Adventure” – Hard Top Concept has finally arrived. Now you can go through the extreme off – road terrain like driving on tarmac. Enjoy the hard top and reach out to the adventure just waiting for you.

About the Concept:

"Thar Adventure" Concept can be built on any of the Thar variants. The Thar is available in 2 variants – the Thar CRDe and the Thar DI. Further, the Thar CRDe is available only in the 4WD variant. While the Thar DI is available in 2WD and the 4WD variants. Thar CRDe is powered by the NEF CRDe 105hp engine with power steering while the Thar DI is powered by the 63hp DI engine and is without power steering.

Request you to kindly note the attachment for the images of the "Thar Adventure" Concept – Hard Top Variant.

We would also like to invite you to kindly visit our Customization Website - main for more details on Customized Concepts from the Mahindra Stable.

You would need to purchase a Thar CRDe from your local Dealer and post registration would need to send the vehicle to us in Mumbai in order to customize it to the "Thar Adventure" Concept.

Concepts from the Mahindra Customization stable are also available to Customers who already are proud owners of Mahindra vehicles. The Customized component would remain the same for these vehicles as well. We would only need to run a check on the condition of the vehicle as regards the bodyline and the mechanicals & the necessary upgrades for refurbishing would be at an extra cost.

(the alloy wheels shown in the images is only for demo and is not available for sale)

Request you to kindly note the detailed menu of the “Thar Adventure” Concept: Hard Top Concept: Non removable

Exteriors:
• Custom built front bull bar
• Bull bar mounted auxiliary lamps
• Modified front grill verticals with mesh
• Inset head lamps
• Modified front fenders with inset indicator lamps
Restyled wheel arches with allen head studs
• Styled side scoops with mesh
• Side guards with checkered plate step in
• Modified rear bumper
• Rear bumper mounted LED tail lamps
• Twin pipe exhaust tail ends in Stainless Steel
• Custom paint job
• Window line blackening
• Front & rear mud flaps
• Hard Top assembly - driver portion
• Hard Top assembly - passenger portion
• LED tail lamps
• LED tail lamp bezel
• Rear door assembly
• Sliding glasses on the sides
• Fixed glass on the rear door
• Spare wheel cover with aux brake lamp

Interiors:
• Color coded interiors
• Customized upholstery
• Custom built center console
• Leather wrapped interiors
• Styled map pockets on driver & co-driver door
• Mobile holders on driver & co-driver door
• Restyled dash garnish with storage zones
• 1DIN MP3 player with USB port
• Front 6” round component speakers
• Rear 6”X 9”oval speakers
• 4 channel amplifier
• Front speaker box
• Rear speaker box on rear door
• Rear door trim panel
• Power windows
• Central Locking
• Carpet & mats
• A/C assembly
• Inner skinning
• Space frame

Concept
Thar Adventure - Hard Top Variant

Base Vehicle
Thar - All Variants

Total Cost (Rs.) 5,25,000/-
Composition Tax @ 8% (VAT) 42,000/-
Service Tax @ 10.3% 54,075/-
Grand Total (Rs.) 6,21,075/-

The above mentioned cost is only for the Customization component
The following are optional and are not included in the above package. Hence, the following will be at an additional cost:

o Winch
o Alloy wheels
o Tyres

Request you to kindly note the following:
· Customer registers & insures the Thar CRDe (any version) from the Local Dealership. The Customization Cost as indicated above is only for the Customization component
Customer would pay a DD favouring M/s. NBS International Ltd, Mumbai for the Customization component as per the cost mentioned above
The Customer needs to send the registered & insured vehicle to the following address for the Customization to be carried out :

J.S. Nanda
Mahindra & Mahindra Ltd
Customization Studio
Unit No.9
Steel - Made Industrial Estate
Near Marol Fire Brigade
Marol
Andheri – East
Mumbai - 59

The Customization process would take approximately 45 to 60 working days from the time we receive the base vehicle at Customization Workshop, Andheri, Mumbai
· Post Customization, the Customized vehicle will be sent back to the AO / Dealership for final delivery to the Customer
· Pricing does not include the movement of the registered & insured vehicle to and fro from the Customer / Dealer Location Any incidence during the transit would be borne by the Customer
· Pricing does not include the transit insurance of the same. This is to be borne by the Customer
· Transportation, insurance & parking of the vehicle is at vehicle Owners risk
· There is no technical change in the vehicle - hence, the same vehicle warranty would stand
· Customization has been done to the effect of only aesthetic changes and we will provide a 6 month manufacturing warranty for the same
· All concepts are hand crafted and may vary from variant to variant
· Customized Mahindra vehicles are not recommended for any kind of competitive sport or rally or endurance trials or tests of any kind
· Customization on base vehicle is performed only as per Customers instructions & confirmations to do so. All RTO permissions to be obtained by the Customer
· Customization is dependent on skilled workers, specific materials, etc & hence, time line may go beyond the specified date due to unforeseen circumstances
Looking forward to provide you with the best of services & make you a proud owner of our Customized Concepts

Thanking you,

With Warm Regards,

Yours Truly,

J.S. Nanda
DGM - Customization"
Attached Thumbnails
Thar Hardtop Design-1.jpg  

Thar Hardtop Design-2.jpg  

Thar Hardtop Design-3.jpg  

Thar Hardtop Design-4.jpg  

Thar Hardtop Design-5.jpg  

Thar Hardtop Design-6.jpg  

Thar Hardtop Design-7.jpg  

Thar Hardtop Design-8.jpg  

Thar Hardtop Design-9.jpg  

Thar Hardtop Design-10.jpg  

cpbopanna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th September 2011, 03:58   #142
BHPian

If people were really willing to pay that kind of money and leave their vehicle with me for 45 to 60 days - I think I could do a much better job...but then, I guess each one of you would think that too!

Anyway - my HT top is being picked up from paint today and will be going for interiors. Top will be complete by Friday methinks. After that, work on the center console starts in earnest!

Photos sometime next week, or if anyone wants to see it in Chennai, pm me - will be there Sunday (25th) to Tuesday (27th).

Regards,
Manas
manasm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th September 2011, 11:10   #143
AVR
BHPian

"Atrocious". Because I can't post a very short reply I'll go on a rant here.

What is it with these MM guys! Only eye-opening fact is that I thought they were only obsessed with Red and Yellow. It seems Blue has been added to the list lately.

I hope someday someone gives them a dictionary which does contain the words "simplicity" and "elegance" also. Am sure its lacking in the one they have!

@Manas, really looking forward to your finished product now!

Cheers,
Aditya
AVR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th September 2011, 11:44   #144
BHPian

manas,
1.there are a lot of people who want a HT in their thar's crde's.
2.if HT option is available, more people would buy the thar. fitting HT will not void warranty - i suppose.
3.thar MDI is selling like hot cakes in some states, so your HT can be fitted in them also.
4.Roplas was the most widely used HT by MM, now out of biz, it seems.
5.you have the passion to make a HT for your needs, so can replicate or modify/alter it if needed.

i have given you enough reasons to start a HT manufacturing company for MM thar crde/mdi models - maybe a low volume unit now, but am sure would be a niche player in sales aspect.
comparing MM customisation dept's record price, your HT will have all the softtop thar owners' choice - not bcoz of the price, but bcoz of the design and ingenuity.
Best Regards.
shekaran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th September 2011, 14:32   #145
NIP
Senior - BHPian

It should be called That 'Circus' not Adventure. I wouldnt be caught dead driving something that looks so grotesque and obnoxious !!! What the hell are these customization guys doing to these jeeps !?? There's isnt an iota of class in this cheap crap !!!!

The tops can be so simple and practical, yet classy. The last one below (removable) costs $150!! Not 6,21,075/- for all the makeup !! Check these out (this is for J.S. Nanda, DGM - Customization, when he reads this):
Attached Images

Last edited by NIP : 20th September 2011 at 14:35.
NIP is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 20th September 2011, 15:04   #146
Team-BHP Support

I have used Bimbra products. They are top notch and complete value for money, atleast in the department of roof rains/bull bars etc.,
tsk1979 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th September 2011, 15:05   #147
Team-BHP Support

NIP, two years back when I was communicating with Mr.Nanda regarding Thar hardtop, I had sent him very similar images as examples. Three months after our conversation, the first Thar prepared by him shows up in Autoexpo 2010. It had more shiny parts than a gypsy woman's dress. There is simply no room for aesthetics. It is like somebody holds a knife to his neck and insists he make it dhinchak garish while charging atrocious price.

Actually, a lot of vehicles prepared by many TBHPians are classy and wow the onlookers.
Samurai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th September 2011, 15:07   #148
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NIP View Post
The tops can be so simple and practical, yet classy. The last one below (removable) costs $150!!
We really need good looking sturdy tops. Manas, waiting to see how yours comes up.

@NIP, I have not seen any branded HT for less than $2000. $150 would be the price of the Hardtop hoisting system.
BlackRaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th September 2011, 19:37   #149
BHPian

Well, here is a first look after paint!

I have changed my Thar's name to "Warthog" - cos it looks like one and it loves playing in the mud!

There are still some things to iron out in the top including the paint finish - but I need it for my trip to Chennai this weekend so am rushing things. The top is at interiors today and hopefully will finish by friday morning when I can get a music system installed.

When I get back, it will get another coat of paint and some of the rough edges taken care of.

The photos are phone camera - so quality is not great - but its the best I could do at this time.

Your criticism and comments more than welcome!

Regards,
Manas
Attached Thumbnails
Thar Hardtop Design-20092011001.jpg  

Thar Hardtop Design-20092011002.jpg  

Thar Hardtop Design-20092011003.jpg  

Thar Hardtop Design-20092011004.jpg  

Thar Hardtop Design-20092011.jpg  

manasm is offline   (8) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 20th September 2011, 20:53   #150
BHPian

Fantastic i would say . Very well done looks neat and good too . Awaiting the final finish and more pictures of the interiors .
Fortuner71 is offline   Reply With Quote