Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > 4x4 & Off-Roading > 4x4 Technical

Old 20th September 2011, 21:10   #151

Default Re: Thar Hardtop Design

great work manas . people like you should be lead design department of these companies
funmaniac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th September 2011, 21:34   #152
Senior - BHPian

Nice..way better than the so called Mahindra Customization Department. Anand Mahindra ought to know better than to let his company logo be carried on atrocious modded errrr customized jeeps !!

Sad but true !! A lot of the Jeeps done by fellow members are a million times better in terms of asthetics than the garish M&M turnouts
Ricky_63 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 20th September 2011, 22:32   #153
BHPian

Kudos! Very neat and elegant. Looks excellent overall.

Perhaps if the rear window and tailgate angle can be made to align with the front window line, it will look even better ?

I've tried a quick edit in paint.. below..

Thar Hardtop Design-thar_ht.jpg

the red line indicates the alignment. I'm not sure if there were engineering limitations due to which the tailgate angle was kept high.
smsrini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th September 2011, 22:57   #154
BHPian

mansam, these are all my humble opinions, take what fits your project, leave the rest pls.
1.the top rear glass line should have been an inch lower - aligned with the front glass top line axis.
2.the rear tailgate - is it one piece or one upward swing piece and 2nd piece extra on the tailgate ?
3.the finish looks outstanding in standards - kudos man.
4.my personal opinion - the rear angle should not be there, somehow the thar (like the wrangler jeep) looks best if its boxy in the rear.
5.the tailgate should be opened first and then the rear hatch mechanism opens - is it so ?
6.also a one piece rear tailgate like the qualis rear would be nicer - IMHO.
7.will meet your jeep in flesh in chennai on monday or tuesday and tell my clear opinions fully.

lastly, i like your attitude of making a HT exclusively for your Thar - when, there are some people who are yet to buy the thar without it(HT). this special work of yours shows in the finish of the product. criticism may come from all sides, but finally you have done it. that matters most mr.manasm - cheers.

for the black thar, somehow a black HT makes the jeep look sober, pls try a different shade of mild silver or plain white - can look better in overall "killer" looks of your machine.

can we all now promote manasm to the ranks of "jeep guru" and appreciate his hard works ?

best regards.
shekaran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th September 2011, 23:06   #155
BHPian

Ricky/Funmaniac/Fortuner71 - thanks for the compliments.

Srini,

You are absolutely right! Once the beading goes on around the window, the levels of the front and rear align correctly at the bottom (the red lines). So that should explain that.

The shape of the window wont allow us to make it look like your edit though (the white lines). We planned to originally use a custom glass for the side windows - but it gave us more problems than solutions. So, we went for a standard off the shelf size and design - which is why the window angle does not align with the rear of the top.

If only we had a better budget and more resources...Most of the design work was done by my friend Abhishek based on my horrible explanations and ideas and pictures off the net.

As for the black lines - the tailgate angle - we liked the rake angle of the rear so kept it that way. Once the interior is done and glass mounted, you will see we have actually made the change to the rear door to align with the red line - since I was in a hurry to finish this piece for my road trip, we did not change it in the fibre glass for this piece. Will be different on other pieces.

Thanks all and keep the comments coming - you will probably find stuff we missed that needs to be fixed.

By the way, the top is designed to fit using 13 allen head bolts. Remove all 13 and 2 people can lift the top right off without a problem. We were able to remove and put it back on in a total of 15 mins. Hope it continues to be that easy once the glasses are on.

We did drive the jeep around for a couple of days without paint, and even without the protective beading, there were no squeaks or rattles. The big test is going to be
  1. high speed highway driving during my visit to Madras
  2. some off road driving that will test the chassis and the top on route
We expect the top will be able to handle both. Fingers crossed.

Regards,
Manas
manasm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th September 2011, 23:20   #156
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shekaran View Post
mansam, these are all my humble opinions, take what fits your project, leave the rest pls.
1.the top rear glass line should have been an inch lower - aligned with the front glass top line axis.
2.the rear tailgate - is it one piece or one upward swing piece and 2nd piece extra on the tailgate ?
3.the finish looks outstanding in standards - kudos man.
4.my personal opinion - the rear angle should not be there, somehow the thar (like the wrangler jeep) looks best if its boxy in the rear.
5.the tailgate should be opened first and then the rear hatch mechanism opens - is it so ?
6.also a one piece rear tailgate like the qualis rear would be nicer - IMHO.
7.will meet your jeep in flesh in chennai on monday or tuesday and tell my clear opinions fully.
best regards.
Shekar - thanks for the compliment - but am not a jeep guru for sure. I know almost next to nothing technically about jeeps. It is something I needed for my jeep and there was no option but to do it myself. If something affordable and nice looking was available off the shelf, would have just gone ahead and bought it.

I will try to address your points:
1. We aligned the bottoms of the front and rear glass. The beading is not on for the rear so it seems out - once the beading is on, they both align at the bottom.
2. The rear tailgate is 2 piece - the original with the spare wheel and an upward opening door. This was done keeping in mind that not everyone would be comfortable removing a factory fitted part. Plus where would you put the spare wheel - I felt that the rear side swinging door gave the jeep character. One other advantage of keeping the doors seperate is that if it is a nice day, you can take the top off and leave it at home and you will still have a rear door for safety.
3. Thanks - but there are still some problems - some waves and badly done and uneven patches when you look up close - you will see what I mean when we meet in Chennai. This is only because I rushed the painter and he didn't do a good job. When I am back in Bangalore, the top will go for another 2 coats of paint. And the painter can take his time for those.
4. I like the boxy look but I wanted something different about the design. Wanted the top to stand out from the crowd. Maybe for the next top design...
5. Absolutely right.
6. Answered in point 2
7. See you in Chennai...will text you once I arrive.

Regards,
Manas
Old 20th September 2011, 23:22   #157
Senior - BHPian

Awesome work. Wonder what Anand Mahindra will have to say when he sees your work and that awful creature their people created in name of a hard top.
Hope BD sir also sees it. I think he will like it.
download2live is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st September 2011, 09:41   #158
Senior - BHPian

Manas, while i really really appreciate the whole effort, right from the concept till the execution and that too within so many limitations, the final outcome is like "so near yet so far". A bit of design change at the rear and fine tuning the upper part (to be on the same level) would end up in a much much better looking top.
Kandisa is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 21st September 2011, 10:29   #159
BHPian

Nice job Manas! I liked it to an extent that i want your number now

few points here (when i get a hardtop built by your team):
1. I need some (filtered & closable) cabin air-vents.
2. The rear-most cabin height should be slightly lower (when installed); Thar droops down at the front and the overall design has to reconcile this.
3. Rear, side-folding seats (similar to Innova's last row).
4. The rear windows should be slide-openable (I like the window design of the Bolero's last side window; one side parallel to the front windows and the other end parallel to the rear cabin pillars).

cheers
Invader is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 21st September 2011, 10:40   #160
BHPian

Manas,

almost forgot!

I want my top to be absolutely flat and parallel to the overall vehicle when observed from the side.

I agree that the crash bar which runs is taller than the A and B pillar; is it possible to run the top under the crash bar?

OR the front top piece can merge (slightly lower is fine) with the crash bar and the remaining top can start after the crash bar. This slightly exposes the crash bar and i believe it would look good.

The same protrusion can be covered up with aux lights, cargo trays if required.

cheers
Invader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st September 2011, 10:45   #161
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kandisa View Post
Manas, while i really really appreciate the whole effort, right from the concept till the execution and that too within so many limitations, the final outcome is like "so near yet so far". A bit of design change at the rear and fine tuning the upper part (to be on the same level) would end up in a much much better looking top.
Thanks Kandisa for the honest feedback.

I can understand your "so near yet so far" statement as a few people have said the same thing in other words.

We have already made changes to the rear to be "better looking" in our opinion. Will post pics of the next top for you to see the changes.

About the upper part, we like the way it looks and it was designed like that intentionally - we did not want it to be on the same level. In our cad drawings of the upper portion at the same level, it made the vehicle look like a minivan. Having said that, we will go back and take a look at how we can change the upper part to make it a bit more aesthetic. I personally like the dipping rear since I feel it really makes my jeep look like a warthog!

Regards,
Manas
Old 21st September 2011, 11:52   #162
BHPian

manas - cool top. Looking at the actual offering after such long discussions about it.
I think it would be better - if the top came in 2 pieces - one for the front and separate second for the back.

This way - if you wanted, you could have a "bikini" hardtop as well
still - way to go.

also how much did this cost?
sach.sri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st September 2011, 14:00   #163
BHPian

sorry for multiple posts - forgot to ask this question last time around

- how is the "flexual" stress handled in your HT? Refer to tejas's thread on this subject for context.

thanks.
sach.sri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st September 2011, 17:12   #164
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpbopanna View Post
Latest update from Mahindra 'Customization'

Any comments??

With Warm Regards,

Yours Truly,

J.S. Nanda
DGM - Customization"
GAY JEEP of the year!
Parm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st September 2011, 17:50   #165
BHPian

Invader - call me @990024668 to discuss what you want/need in a top. I think some of these will be useful to install in mine. Other points (regarding design) I have addressed in earlier posts.

Sach.sri - bikini top will be more expensive and more prone to leaks. Cost is something i won't discuss here. That is an offline discussion. We have MS bars to help cope with the stresses - but as I said earlier - the real test will be this weekend when I go off to do a bit of offroading.
Can you link to Tejas' thread? Can't locate it.

Thanks,
Manas