Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > 4x4 & Off-Roading > 4x4 Technical

Old 21st September 2011, 21:54   #166
Senior - BHPian

Default Re: Thar Hardtop Design

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parm View Post
GAY JEEP of the year!

The Mahindra custom HT is truly an atrocious monstrosity. I think someone must be using Dabwali for inspiration. It looks as if someone has chopped bits and pieces off a Scorpio and stuck them on.

The HT by manasm is a much better affair.
bigman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd September 2011, 14:04   #167
BHPian

link to Tejas' thread

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/4x4-te...p-hardtop.html (Flexural Stresses on Jeep Hardtop)
sach.sri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd September 2011, 18:14   #168
BHPian

@manasm I think the HT has come out really nice, proper sound insulation and no rattles will make it a clear winner. Looking forward for finshed product.
throttleking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd September 2011, 19:58   #169
BHPian

• Interiors done - am a little disappointed with the interiors - but the next one will be much better. We know where we went wrong
  • Final paint done -
    The final paint looks much better than what we initially had - a less glossy/more matte finish
  • Side windows done - error in design as mentioned by others in the thread - we misjudged the window height and it is higher than the front windows. Will be corrected in the next piece
  • Rear (boot) window - will arrive and be fitted tomorrow morning
Was too dark to take good pics - so will do it tomorrow and hopefully post tomorrow evening/night once the rear glass is also installed. The ones uploaded a cell phone pics in the evening - so extremely grainy

Big test is my trip to Madras on Sunday.

Hope it all works out!

Regards,
Manas
Attached Thumbnails
Thar Hardtop Design-23092011002.jpg  

Thar Hardtop Design-23092011006.jpg  

Thar Hardtop Design-23092011004.jpg  

manasm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th September 2011, 10:27   #170
BHPian

Nice meeting you last night Manas.
Your Thar Hard top looks much better in the flesh.
Congratulations!!

Last edited by cpbopanna : 25th September 2011 at 10:28. Reason: Spell check!
cpbopanna is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 26th September 2011, 03:27   #171
Senior - BHPian

Taking off the ugly running board......sort of squint at it to make up for my staff of artists who didn't quite do this right.

Hey, Manasm, this HT is growing on me. How much $$$$$ are you going to soak us for a copy?
Attached Thumbnails
Thar Hardtop Design-thar-hardtop-uncluttered.jpg  

DirtyDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th September 2011, 08:55   #172
jp1
BHPian

Congrats manas, hats off to your determination. The end product looks neat, especially finishing from outside. I somehow feel the rear angle is little too much, may that is due to the front wind shield angle which is almost 90 degree. See the pictures in 4x4addict's garage of his jeep for a comparison.

2002 Mahindra MM 540 - 4x4addict’s Photo Gallery - Team-BHP
jp1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th September 2011, 20:36   #173
Senior - BHPian

The angle of the rear panel also means the rear window is mounted a little high. Some rear visibility is given up in this application.
DirtyDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th September 2011, 11:58   #174
BHPian

Guys - for additional pics with the rear glass - please see my ownership thread - "Blackstarr arrives".

@Dirtydan - am going to remove the running board - am fabricating my own ones - similar to the one in the pic.
As for the cost of the top - want to make it as cheap as possible without going out of pocket - so will come up with something by mid Oct. There will be a kind of "official press release" with photos and specs coming up.

@JP1 & Dirtydan - The rear rake does compromise the rear visibilty - but not by much. Using the side mirrors and the width of the rear glass, it works...I have not had much of a problem. Will let others be the judge of that though.

@Throttleking - will post interior pics once the vehicle is cleaned up after my road trip.

@CPBopanna - thanks a bunch - it was good meeting you as well. Do feel free to get in touch if you want to go for a ride - especially in Coorg!

@Shekaran - see you in Pondicherry next week.

By the way...the actual production piece will be different from this one - the production one will be a 2 piece.

Regards,
Manas
Attached Images

manasm is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 30th November 2011, 14:44   #175
Senior - BHPian

Just went through this awesome thread, manasm do you have the final pics of the HT interior & exterior?
motomaverick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th November 2011, 14:58   #176
BHPian

Motomaverick - have updates on my ownership thread - "Tharred and Feathered: Blackstarr"

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/4x4-ve...arrives-9.html (Tharred and Feathered - BlackStarr arrives)

Thanks,
Manas

Quote:
Originally Posted by motomaverick View Post
Just went through this awesome thread, manasm do you have the final pics of the HT interior & exterior?
manasm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th December 2011, 22:34   #177
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpbopanna View Post
Latest update from Mahindra 'Customization' The wait is finally over. The much awaited & aspired “Thar Adventure” – Hard Top Concept has finally arrived. Now you can go through the extreme off – road terrain like driving on tarmac. Enjoy the hard top and reach out to the adventure just waiting for you.

"
blame it on my mobile camera, with no flash and poor resolution, but not to miss the topic, yesterday evening I spotted this Thar Adventure parked at a restaurant 'The Ship' in Kalyani Nagar, Pune

honestly, I just took a brief note from the back and don't even remember the colour but it was pretty similar to the pictures posted here

few key difference at the back was that the led back light has come down to the regular place and it was appearing to be quite chique.

and the hard top with the sliding glass window was looking real neat

most likely the owner was sitting quite much around me in the restaurant, but since the moment was different and I was engrossed in a different topic, I did not look for the owner (regretting now)

attaching the terrible picture here (better option than not to)

will be happy to share the raw image, to any photo shop experts to bring out any content if possible (so sorry folks)
Attached Thumbnails
Thar Hardtop Design-1312112032.jpg  

Anupam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th December 2011, 14:54   #178
Distinguished - BHPian

Dear Anupam - thanks for capturing the photograph of this Thar Adventure. So, finally it is on the forum. Thanks for making a correct comment on its appearance, which is due to tail light relocation. I was just keeping quiet, which I need not do now, as it is on the forum. Like this, there are many things we do but we keep quiet. .

Next steps? Simple - prepare the engineering information, corelate it to country-specifc safety norms, prepare country-specific business cases and then - "PRESTO""! I hope somebody is listening! .

Best regards,

Behram Dhabhar
DHABHAR.BEHRAM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th January 2012, 22:22   #179
BHPian

I am a noob, but in every design, the T-shaped rear "hatch" is taking the beauty away. Cant we just saw the last one foot from a Bolero and weld it here.
~DamnISoundLikeATataDesigner
hkborah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th April 2012, 21:18   #180
BHPian

Default Re: Updated Mahindra Thar in 2-3 months. EDIT : Launched with Air-Con and immobilizer

Dear Friends,
Check out this Thar with this beautiful hard-top half cabin. It was just beautiful!
I saw it on the old airport road and had ARMY stickers on it in huge font.
It was registered at Punjab and did not have the ARMY numbers though.
Thar Hardtop Design-thar1.jpg

Thar Hardtop Design-thar2.jpg
Hope you guys like it.
Cheers,
Deepak

@MODS: Please move it to another thread if you think this is not the appropriate one.
starter is online now   Reply With Quote