Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > 4x4 & Off-Roading > 4x4 Technical

Old 11th April 2012, 22:22   #181
BHPian

Default Re: Updated Mahindra Thar in 2-3 months. EDIT : Launched with Air-Con and immobilizer

Quote:
Originally Posted by starter View Post
Dear Friends,
Check out this Thar with this beautiful hard-top half cabin. It was just beautiful!
I saw it on the old airport road and had ARMY stickers on it in huge font.
It was registered at Punjab and did not have the ARMY numbers though.
Attachment 914921

Attachment 914922
Hope you guys like it.
Cheers,
Deepak

@MODS: Please move it to another thread if you think this is not the appropriate one.
Does not look like a Thar - rear tail gate hinged on the left, front and rear wheel tracks appear to be the same...
cpbopanna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th April 2012, 22:40   #182
BHPian

Default Re: Updated Mahindra Thar in 2-3 months. EDIT : Launched with Air-Con and immobilizer

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpbopanna View Post
Does not look like a Thar - rear tail gate hinged on the left, front and rear wheel tracks appear to be the same...
Yup, you may be right Bopanna.

If there is no requirement for a full hard-top, i somehow really liked this.
I've usually seen this on Gypsies but this was really nicely done on this 5X0/Thar.

Cheers,
Deepak
starter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th April 2012, 00:35   #183
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by starter View Post
Dear Friends,
Check out this Thar with this beautiful hard-top half cabin. It was just beautiful!
I saw it on the old airport road and had ARMY stickers on it in huge font.
It was registered at Punjab and did not have the ARMY numbers though.
Attachment 914921

Attachment 914922
Hope you guys like it.
Cheers,
Deepak

@MODS: Please move it to another thread if you think this is not the appropriate one.
Seen quite a lot of such mods done by Bimbras - they have a good collection of pictures of Thar mods - as the owner too has a Thar.

Last I heard was that he is developing a snorkeler for the Thar and guess what I found :

Name:  536108_399795640038672_100000247172163_1549611_1234610935_n.jpg
Views: 30515
Size:  55.8 KB
madnish30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th May 2012, 09:18   #184
BHPian

Default Re: Thar Hardtop Design

Oh man, those Mahindra design guys must have spent a long time at Mayapuri. In fact the Mayapuri guys do a better bling job than what they have done.
All the roadside designers at Mahindra Customization should be sent where they belong...to the roadside.

People want something aesthetic and functional, and there are loads of nice designs of the Jeep Wrangler Sahara to borrow from, if they seriously want us to like what they churn out. And what's with the price! Why not make available to Indians what they are selling in Europe?

It is thanks to enthusiasts like Manasm that people here still have some HOPE of getting a hardtop 4wd jeep.
Oreen is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 9th August 2012, 12:02   #185
BHPian

Default Re: Mahindra Thar : Test Drive & Review

Saw this HT in Monastery Escape 2012 thread it looks neat, any idea who manufacture it and what's the price??
Attached Thumbnails
Thar Hardtop Design-thar-ht.jpg  

Last edited by Aston.Martin : 9th August 2012 at 12:07. Reason: Quoted an old post
Aston.Martin is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 9th August 2012, 23:42   #186
BHPian

It belongs to Raj Kapoor and was built by performance Noida (Google it). The name of the contact is Poddy or you can email Raj Kapoor at kapooraj@gmail.com for details
vj_k2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th January 2013, 18:08   #187

Hey Manas, your phone no is missing a digit. It keeps asking me to check the number I've dialed. We met on the Bangalore-Mangalore highway last year around October end. We were on a few Bullets going back to Bangalore when I chased you guys down and asked where did you get the hard top done. The number you gave me is the same as on this forum. Might that be some strange coincidence? Its a 9 digit number whereas our mobile phones have 10 digits. My no's 9945533440. Do text me and I'll get in touch.
gautam22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th November 2013, 22:03   #188
Distinguished - BHPian

Default Side & Rear Hard Top

Hi All,

I am working on a partial hard top for my Thar DI. Since, I have the Thar CRDe soft top the top part is quite firm and doesn't flat at all. The sides however, have gaps and the rear flap doesn't hold back any dust or water making it almost like an open jeep. Plus many times when I travel with stuff, I am afraid to keep the jeep out of sight, even when I have to stop for a meal.

I decided to put a frame on the sides and extend door with a glass so that the vehicle will be fully dust/water proof. The side glass and rear glass along with beading are from the Force Cruiser. There is nothing on top to keep the weight down.

I will be putting the Thar CRDe Soft top back, after altering the side opening for the larger glass. Essentially, it will look like a soft to jeep, with the security/convenience of a hard top.

Attached are pictures of work in progress.
Attached Images

Last edited by 4x4addict : 19th November 2013 at 22:05.
4x4addict is offline   (4) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 30th November 2013, 19:21   #189
BHPian

Default Re: Side & Rear Hard Top

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4x4addict View Post
Hi All,

I am working on a partial hard top for my Thar DI. Since, I have the Thar CRDe soft top the top part is quite firm and doesn't flat at all. The sides however, have gaps and the rear flap doesn't hold back any dust or water making it almost like an open jeep. Plus many times when I travel with stuff, I am afraid to keep the jeep out of sight, even when I have to stop for a meal.

I decided to put a frame on the sides and extend door with a glass so that the vehicle will be fully dust/water proof. The side glass and rear glass along with beading are from the Force Cruiser. There is nothing on top to keep the weight down.

I will be putting the Thar CRDe Soft top back, after altering the side opening for the larger glass. Essentially, it will look like a soft to jeep, with the security/convenience of a hard top.

Attached are pictures of work in progress.
Cool job. I had something similar in mind. Thanks for showing the way. I am eagerly waiting to see the end result.
samwagon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st December 2013, 16:27   #190
Senior - BHPian

Default Re: Side & Rear Hard Top

Quote:

Wow! Great concept, Tini. You got me thinking about what to do with my Thar CRDe.

Please post more pics when you get it done, pics of interior, too.
DirtyDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st December 2013, 18:45   #191
BHPian

BTW 4x4 addict's mod has got me thinking. How about an HT with a design similar to LC FJ40. I believe these were removable. A pic for reference. Any Comments.
Attached Thumbnails
Thar Hardtop Design-coolfj40_2270_120586253.jpeg  

Old 1st December 2013, 22:07   #192
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by samwagon View Post
BTW 4x4 addict's mod has got me thinking. How about an HT with a design similar to LC FJ40. I believe these were removable. A pic for reference. Any Comments.
Hi Sam, I don't think that particular top is removable, although I have seen some FJ's with removable top. Th other thing to keep in mind is that the top has to match the body lines of the vehicle. Best if you get someone who knows photoshop to try to merge the body from the FJ onto the Thar and see how it looks on the Thar's proportions. Secondly the curved quarter glass maybe difficult to obtain. I am not sure if such curved glass is available in India or can be made.
4x4addict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd December 2013, 14:20   #193
BHPian

Quote:
Hi Sam, I don't think that particular top is removable, although I have seen some FJ's with removable top. Th other thing to keep in mind is that the top has to match the body lines of the vehicle. Best if you get someone who knows photoshop to try to merge the body from the FJ onto the Thar and see how it looks on the Thar's proportions. Secondly the curved quarter glass maybe difficult to obtain. I am not sure if such curved glass is available in India or can be made.
Bang on 4x4 addict about the quarter glass. I had also realised that they would be the most difficult to replicate along with the very narrow B-pillar and the split rear gate.I especially like the white roof. Your suggestion regarding Photoshop is good. Thanks. Will try it
Myself. Then there is the challenge of finding a metal shop capable of doing a clean job. Your mods of a Thar Do have given me lot of confidence of putting my ideas to practice budget permitting. What's us ball part figure for the hard top mod.
Old 18th January 2014, 20:46   #194
Distinguished - BHPian

Default Finished Semi Hard Top

Adding a few pics of my finished semi-hard top.
Attached Images

4x4addict is offline   (3) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 19th January 2014, 08:36   #195
Senior - BHPian

That is a nice clean job. Lots of real glass to improve visibility instead of the plastic windows of the original soft top that scratch up, attract dust and are just hard to see thru. The hard top keeps dust out of the interior and probably quiets things down a bit, too. The rear metal/glass door eliminates the need to fight thru a filthy hard to operate zipper and filthy fabric rear flap. You can now access the rear of the cabin without having to wash up afterward.
DirtyDan is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote