Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > 4x4 & Off-Roading > 4x4 Technical

Old 24th June 2011, 14:09   #76
BHPian

Default Re: Thar Hardtop Design

The original design is without the sunroof - so never fear there!

The sunroof we are working on is of 2 types:
  1. the manual sliding roof
  2. the automatic roof
The manual one is done by us and the automatic one is a sunroof we will be fitting from what is readily available.

Plan to take the photos this evening and then again Sunday when Vijay brings his Thar over for fitting trials!

Manas
manasm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th June 2011, 14:49   #77

applaud the effort you guys are putting into building the hard top. Looks quite promising I must say. I live in Bangalore and own a T.Red Thar for which I am looking at a similar designed HT. who knows I might one of your potential first customers. Btw, any chance I can visit in person and have a look. send me a message.

- Myk
Myk.b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th June 2011, 16:13   #78
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Myk.b View Post
applaud the effort you guys are putting into building the hard top. Looks quite promising I must say. I live in Bangalore and own a T.Red Thar for which I am looking at a similar designed HT. who knows I might one of your potential first customers. Btw, any chance I can visit in person and have a look. send me a message.

- Myk
Myk,

Since you are a newbie, cannot PM you. Request you to please send an email to rakshas.industries@gmail.com or you can call:
Manas @ 9900246668
Abhishek @ 9538973501

Thanks,
Manas
Old 24th June 2011, 18:41   #79
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by manasm View Post
The original design is without the sunroof - so never fear there!

The sunroof we are working on is of 2 types:
  1. the manual sliding roof
  2. the automatic roof
The manual one is done by us and the automatic one is a sunroof we will be fitting from what is readily available.

Plan to take the photos this evening and then again Sunday when Vijay brings his Thar over for fitting trials!

Manas

Looking forward to the pictures of the finished product sitting atop a THAR..

All the very best. I am sure your effort will pay off

Cheers
Ricky_63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th June 2011, 12:20   #80
BHPian

The FRP done...need to fit the glass and the rear door hinges.

Needs polishing and a coat of paint for the exteriors and the internal wiring and carpeting for the interiors.

It looks really good in black.

Regards,
Manas
Attached Images

manasm is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 25th June 2011, 13:24   #81
Senior - BHPian

Is there a rear window? Or is it a weight saving feature ? Will it fit a "stock" 540 DP 4WD-AC, TRACTION ed?
headers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th June 2011, 13:40   #82
BHPian

Headers - should fit a stock 540. Dont know how the AC or 4WD would make a difference to the top?

The rear window does indeed exist - we have just not fitted it yet so that it is easier to handle - safety glass for the size (52x21) weighs about 8kgs, so we will put it on last methinks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by headers View Post
Is there a rear window? Or is it a weight saving feature ? Will it fit a "stock" 540 DP 4WD-AC, TRACTION ed?
Old 25th June 2011, 13:47   #83
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
The rear window does indeed exist - we have just not fitted it yet so that it is easier to handle - safety glass for the size (52x21) weighs about 8kgs, so we will put it on last methinks!
Do we have the option of not having the glass? I'm a little concerned about the weight of HT you see
Old 25th June 2011, 17:16   #84
Senior - BHPian

@Manas

The HT seems to have come out very well. I think it is fairly close to the one that I wanted (pictures I posted of)

Once it sits atop the Thar we should be able to say exactly !!

Cheers
Old 25th June 2011, 18:36   #85
BHPian

Headers - even we are worried about the weight. But so far, two people are able to life it easily. Still need to add the foam and interior carpeting and the rear glass though. It weighs in at about 28kgs so far.

Ricky - hoping to mount it tomorrow and see how it fits and looks.
Old 25th June 2011, 19:43   #86
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Headers - even we are worried about the weight. But so far, two people are able to life it easily. Still need to add the foam and interior carpeting and the rear glass though. It weighs in at about 28kgs so far.
Sir, Is it a 3 piece design ? Meaning - 1 for left , 1 for right and 1 for the roof and back? That way, we could have more options and it may be easier to remove / refit.
Old 26th June 2011, 10:33   #87
Senior - BHPian

From the looks of it, seems to be a single piece construction. What you are referring to is the like of the Wrangler dismantleable HT - right ?

I think for it to be a 3 piece top, the construction has to be very very precise so that there are no possibilities of water leaks & the like. Also I fear the cost would go up, BUT if it were made, it would be really cool..

Cheers
Old 26th June 2011, 18:56   #88
BHPian

Quote:
Hey manasm, good to see progress.

Regarding glass, are you using shape/size from an existing vehicle? I ask because you will need beading to install the glass, and unless you have one that exists for a certain vehicle, getting a perfect fit will be difficult.

As an alternative, to save weight and to test flex strength of prototype, can I suggest you try clear acrylic? You should be able to silicone seal it relatively well and/or use to test the beading you were planning to install with the glass.

Cheers.
gthang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th June 2011, 20:13   #89
BHPian

Ricky - You are right, it is a single piece. Building a 3 piece was what we originally intended to do, but it takes a lot more time and money to do one of those. Instead we opted for a 1 piece with large side glasses which can be completely removed.

The plan once we have the standard tops ready and sell a few, we will have enough money to start looking at different types of tops - like the T-top and 3 piece. But that is way in the future for now. Plus like you said - will be very expensive!

Gthang - All the glass we are using is safety glass custom made for the top. We couldn't find any glass that we could use standard to fit what we wanted the top to look like. If you know of any vehicle that has the glass size we need, would help us a lot. We are looking at clear acrylic, but only for the prototype. It is not easy to get scratch proof acrylic. If you have any leads, we would be more than happy to use it.

We have found the beading we need (after lots of searching) which comes in free lengths - same as the one used in the Santro for the boot door.

Finally, we are delayed again on the finishing - but we don't want any jugaad - we would prefer to spend the extra time and do it perfectly the way we want it to be in terms of looks and function. We have an internal map reading light that will be part of the top as well as (hopefully) a multi-pin plug point on the side for laptops etc. We also hope to be able to offer clip on speaker panels/holders for the top at a future date. All those are the things we have on our list for the perfect top, and so we want to try making it available for everyone as standard.

Cheers.

P.S. I saw pics on FB of a top made in Delhi. Lucky guys had a Thar that they built the top on directly. But I feel they made a mess of it. Don't know if anyone else saw it...We unfortunately don't have a Thar at our disposal or work could have been much faster!

The deal with the wife is - "if you can get a hard top and A/C, you can buy a Thar"...that's where this whole thing started. So until the top is complete, no Thar! :(
Old 26th June 2011, 21:59   #90
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gthang View Post

Regarding glass, are you using shape/size from an existing vehicle? I ask because you will need beading to install the glass, and unless you have one that exists for a certain vehicle, getting a perfect fit will be difficult..
Quote:

We have found the beading we need (after lots of searching) which comes in free lengths - same as the one used in the Santro for the boot door.

Good thought.

Commonsense tells me repairing/replacing the windows/parts for an existing market popular vehicle will be easy for the owners after a mishap. Think 10+ year lifecycle. Are you folks willing to stock beadings and glass/acrylic for your customers for a decade or longer? Are you folks prepared to supply repair components anywhere in India at short notice without delay for a crashed vehicle? Or will the owner have to wait weeks to source his replacement parts?

Or are you folks only thinking of a local clientele?

Decisions like these might impact sales and marketability of your product.

--Ragul
Ragul is offline   Reply With Quote