Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > 4x4 & Off-Roading > 4x4 Technical

Old 3rd July 2011, 22:13   #106
BHPian

Default Re: Thar Hardtop Design

Ricky - no problem - this is a hard top thread, so it is the best place to discuss all options. It is not a thread about my hard top - although I think I hi-jacked it to being that!

We will sort out the head room issue - that is not a worry. I would say the roll cage is very important and should not be compromised though. But I have also heard from different people that the roll cage that we get in India is only cosmetic - I don't know how true that is! But if it is true, then it should not be a problem to remove it and install a more functional roll cage. I think I will try to get a designed roll cage for myself, which will have some mounts for seat belts for the rear seats as well as mounts for some speakers (that is if I don't include the mounts in the top itself - that is something we are looking at right now, before we complete the interiors - need to make sure no vibrations will affect the top).

Kandisa and Ricky - I really love the rake and I feel that it makes the Thar/Jeep look more aggressive and sporty! The idea came from the old Fastback Mustangs which I loved as a kid. That's the main reason for the rear angle. I also felt that a straight rear looked too common. I also like the angled line from the b-pillar to rear (the line is low from front to b-pillar and then drop again to the rear). It helps keep the water off the top and close up looks really good - believe me! Once we paint and do some close ups, you will be able to see it better and hope you will agree with me.

Thanks
manasm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th July 2011, 23:07   #107
nnn
BHPian

Manas,

Good Going. Looks Great.

How is it finished on the inside, Upholstry or FRP?

Are you insulating the HT, somewhat like the Gypsy double walled insulated HT (atleast that is what I think the Gypsy top is)?

Regards

nnn
nnn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th July 2011, 01:24   #108
BHPian

Thanks nnn.

The inside will be upholstered with sound and vibration dampening foam in between the frp and the carpeting - actually we plan on having vinyl on the inside as it is easy to clean compared to carpet. The idea is that to clean, you would take the top off and then just spray it with a hose or scrub with soap and water.

No double wall as this would make the weight too much to handle and drive the costs and price up. If we make some money then we could look at investing it in a double layer frp top - but as of now the needed vitamin M for that project will be from my pocket and unaffordable.

The idea right now is to make a functional and good looking top which is affordable (by some standards anyway).

We plan to look at different combinations and versions later on - including a T-top, and one with a frame with removable panels which can be stowed away.

Thanks,
Manas

Quote:
Originally Posted by nnn View Post
Manas,

Good Going. Looks Great.

How is it finished on the inside, Upholstry or FRP?

Are you insulating the HT, somewhat like the Gypsy double walled insulated HT (atleast that is what I think the Gypsy top is)?

Regards

nnn
Old 5th July 2011, 10:50   #109
Senior - BHPian

Is the top nearing completion soon ? Waiting for the final product pics.

Cheers
Ricky_63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th July 2011, 13:27   #110
BHPian

Ricky - should have been done by now - but I am traveling and have left my friend alone to deal with everything. So the pace has slowed down.

Hope to complete it end of this month if not by the 15th.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricky_63 View Post
Is the top nearing completion soon ? Waiting for the final product pics.

Cheers
Old 7th July 2011, 18:28   #111
BHPian

Ricky/All,

We have some problems with the hard top and so completion will be delayed indefinitely! Sad but true!

To finish, we need a Thar so we can mount and fit. We are unable to get our hands on a Thar so it all stops here till we can.

The mountings on a 540 and a Thar are completely different, so can't use a 540 either.

If anyone has a Thar that they can lend us for 2 days - will help us complete it quickly. It won't be driven and will be parked in a garage for 2 days and I would be willing to trade with my car (Santro) for that time as well.

We can also work out some kind of deal on the hard top when it is ready to sell.

Thanks and hope to hear from someone who can help.

Thanks,
Manas
Old 9th August 2011, 13:50   #112
BHPian

hi manas,

Any developments in this regard?

regards
Raj
Rajachu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th August 2011, 14:24   #113
BHPian

Raj,

The top is almost done - need about a week's worth of work to finish the fittings and interior carpeting work (the interior has a light as well as an inverter with a plug point).

Since I was not able to get my hands on a Thar earlier, have gone ahead and bought one (was actually hoping to wait till the factory fitted A/C before I the Thar). Will take delivery on the 18th of Aug and then will be 1 week to finish - so end of the month till my Thar is complete with the hard top.

I will post pics of it and once complete and anyone who is interested can let me know if they want one.

Cheers,
Manas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rajachu View Post
hi manas,

Any developments in this regard?

regards
Raj
Old 10th August 2011, 14:46   #114
BHPian

Oh great news Manas!awaiting eagerly to see the final setup.

rregards

Raj
Rajachu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th August 2011, 16:42   #115
nnn
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by manasm View Post
Raj,

(was actually hoping to wait till the factory fitted A/C before I the Thar). Will take delivery on the 18th of Aug and then will be 1 week to finish -
Manas
Manas,

Let us know when you have photographs..

But to give you advice based on my experience on the A/C - it seems the M&M SOP on the A/C is not yet with the dealers.

Use a Bolero compressor (20K) from M&M or a Scorpio compressor (10K) aftermarket. Use a cooling coil which will fit in the Blower setup (many will) and remove the heater coil.

Use a Travera Condensor and mount it ahead of the grill, 2" away from the grill, but lower it so that it is 1/2" from the torsion bar. You will need to remove the cover with "Mahindra" stamped on it which is fitted to cover the Chassis ahead of a grill. Mount a 14" / 16" fan from any vehicle (Scorpio / Safari) ahead of the Condensor. This way the air to the radiator will not be obstructed and the car will not overheat. I would be wary of the M&M fitting as per their SOP.

Do not cut any wires to power the A/C, that will invalidate the warranty. Depending on the compressor used the cost should be 30K to 35K.

The mounting of the Scorpio compressor and the Bolero compressor is the same but the Scorpio compressor is bigger with a 170CC volume against 150 CC for the Bolero. The Bolero compressor is not available in the aftermarket.

Regards

nnn
nnn is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 12th August 2011, 16:19   #116

Good news, Manas. Have been closely following this thread. Seems very difficult to find anyone else who is designing a Thar hardtop. I've been dying to buy the Thar, and the lack of a hardtop is the only thing holding me back. So if your hardtop works out well - I'm going to be driving my new Thar straight to your workshop! All the best
ishan.agarwal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th August 2011, 16:47   #117
Senior - BHPian

This is the hardtop being provided by Nanda from Mahindra.

Cost 3.54 lakhs + cost of vehicle.

Images are WIP.

Thar Hardtop Design-frt1.jpg

Thar Hardtop Design-rr1.jpg

Thar Hardtop Design-rr2.jpg

Thar Hardtop Design-rr3.jpg

Thar Hardtop Design-rr4.jpg

So how many want one?
Spitfire is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 24th August 2011, 16:51   #118
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spitfire View Post
This is the hardtop being provided by Nanda from Mahindra.

Cost 3.54 lakhs + cost of vehicle.

So how many want one?
I want one : guess this should go in the weird and wacky mods thread!!
headers is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 24th August 2011, 16:55   #119
Team-BHP Support

At that price I don't think anybody will want it. Wish you had posted the pics after the paint job. This is the first Nanda production with so little chrome, just the rock slider and exhaust tip.
Samurai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th August 2011, 17:13   #120
AVR
BHPian

^^
Samurai that's assuming what hasn't been painted yet can't have chrome/silver paint.

3.54 L is audacious to say the least! Many jeepers tend to build entire jeeps for less than that!
AVR is offline   Reply With Quote