Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > 4x4 & Off-Roading > 4x4 Technical

Old 5th September 2011, 18:12   #166
BHPian

Default Re: Advice on fitting an air-conditioner in the Mahindra Thar

Just adding my two cents here. Mahindra Customization has displayed 4 options for Thar 1) Thar adventure, 2) Thar Soft Top, 3) Thar Hard Top and 4) Thar Half Top. However, images or specifications of models 3 and 4 are still not available but I think the hard top will also have A/C as a standard accessory.

Just letting you guys know so that someone who want to contact Mahindra Customization can do so.
gears2go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th September 2011, 07:00   #167
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gears2go
Just adding my two cents here. Mahindra Customization has displayed 4 options for Thar 1) Thar adventure, 2) Thar Soft Top, 3) Thar Hard Top and 4) Thar Half Top. However, images or specifications of models 3 and 4 are still not available but I think the hard top will also have A/C as a standard accessory.

Just letting you guys know so that someone who want to contact Mahindra Customization can do so.
Could you please provide a link to that page. I couldn locate it.
drkakkilaya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th October 2011, 00:07   #168
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DHABHAR.BEHRAM View Post
Finally, let me make it very clear that we have indicated to all concerned that AC kit as per SOP and the set of 30 parts only must be fitted. If somebody is doing something else, we do not endorse the same.
Dear Behram

I have the Thar for over 2 months now and I enjoy driving it around .

The need for AC has been increasing - I am tempted to get the one - cheaper one- but I am wondering if I should take the risk .

The AC kit - well it is not available at least the at dealer that I bought the Thar from and moreover it seems to be expensive at the other dealers and hence reading through this Thread all over again.

Just wondering if there was any new light on this aspect. Is the AC kit coming at all dealers.

Cheers
Carrot

Last edited by carrot_eater : 14th October 2011 at 00:09. Reason: Grammar
carrot_eater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th October 2011, 16:02   #169
Distinguished - BHPian

Dear Carrot Eater - I appreciate your question tht you have asked to me. I do not work with M&M anymore. I am requesting Mr.Vinod Nookala to respond to your request. As AC was high on the priority list for Thar CRDe, I am sure a solution will be made available to you soon. I once again request you to fit the AC as per SOP only on your vehicle.

Best regards,

Behram Dhabhar
DHABHAR.BEHRAM is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 16th October 2011, 19:04   #170
nnn
BHPian

Carrot Eater,

My Thar has done 10,000 KM with an A/C which I fitted from the day I got the vehicle.

Driven from Delhi to Phagwara and back in one day (800 KM). Driven to Sangla (Himachal) plus lots of driving in the hills.

No overheating at all.

The A/C fits with the heater which the Mahindra SOP does not enable.

Love the vehicle.

nnn

Last edited by nnn : 16th October 2011 at 19:05. Reason: just some language errors
nnn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th October 2011, 22:23   #171
Senior - BHPian

nnn, the latest A/C SOP incorporates heater with A/C on Thar CRDe.

Spike
SPIKE ARRESTOR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th October 2011, 02:13   #172
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPIKE ARRESTOR View Post
nnn, the latest A/C SOP incorporates heater with A/C on Thar CRDe.

Spike

Spike

That is great news!!
Nevertheless, the Bangalore dealers seem to have given up on the factory A/c kit.
Not to mention dealer names, I had to provide the SOP to a dealer (that Behram had so kindly posted on the forum).
I am not really sure if that particular dealer had not actually seen the SOP, or just pretended not to know of its existence!

Bopanna
cpbopanna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th October 2011, 11:34   #173
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpbopanna View Post
Spike
Nevertheless, the Bangalore dealers seem to have given up on the factory A/c kit.
Not to mention dealer names, I had to provide the SOP to a dealer (that Behram had so kindly posted on the forum).
This is so true - in fact myself and another T-bhp member has visited the showroom where one Forum member has got the AC fitted as per the SOP.

However the dealer pointed us to an outside person near Magrath road and was quoting 5K more than what other members have paid.

Vinod - Please publish When and How I could get the AC for my Thar. I do not want to go the non-SOP if there is a way forward the with the Kit.

Please help or even something like wait until 1 month, 6 month , 1 year. Any statement in that manner will help me decide.
Old 17th October 2011, 12:55   #174
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Please help or even something like wait until 1 month, 6 month , 1 year. Any statement in that manner will help me decide.
Maybe in one year, you will get factory fitted AC and dealer fitted hard top..
headers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th October 2011, 08:56   #175
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by headers View Post
Maybe in one year, you will get factory fitted AC and dealer fitted hard top..
Thanks headers - a FF AC with hard top - 1 year is fine - if people are waiting for it.

I think until such time the AC kit is available Mahindra should remove this line from the Thar website " Counter the harsh terrains by maximising comfort with an A/c ready cabin ( A/c fitment by customer possible)."

Because this is simply not true A/C fitment as per the SOP is not possible by the customer at least not as of now.

If yes, please let me know when, how, where.
Old 21st October 2011, 08:57   #176
BHPian

I agree to Rajeet (aka Carrot Eator), i have booked a Thar and expecting the delivery to be towards end of November or beginning of December.

believe me i have been following this thread regularly, and I waited for the factory fitted A/C for a long long loooong time and completely lost my patience and the belief that MM is going to come out with something like a factory fitted A/C soon and if at all they come out with one, i feel its going to be priced high.

I have seen the installation of the A/C on BlackRevan's Thar, its really VFM kind of an install. BTW, Swami (BlackRevan) your Thar looks and also its performance is awesome , i really like the mods on it. I will be definitely reaching back to you for your help.
raghu4222 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st October 2011, 19:29   #177
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nnn View Post
Carrot Eater,

My Thar has done 10,000 KM with an A/C which I fitted from the day I got the vehicle.

Driven from Delhi to Phagwara and back in one day (800 KM). Driven to Sangla (Himachal) plus lots of driving in the hills.

No overheating at all.

The A/C fits with the heater which the Mahindra SOP does not enable.

Love the vehicle.

nnn
If I remember right,there are quite a few wicked and narrow sections ,where the road has been cut out from the rocks ,on the Shimla -Sangla route.If your thar has done the trip from Delhi to Sangla( A convenient stop to launch the trek to Karcham and from there to Chitkul) and back to Delhi without much trouble,then I guess I should cancel the "booking" for theThar DI and acquire the crde even if it means waiting for some more time. Thanks for the feed-back anyway.
Ronnie Zach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th October 2011, 11:03   #178
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by carrot_eater View Post
However the dealer pointed us to an outside person near Magrath road and was quoting 5K more than what other members have paid.

Vinod - Please publish When and How I could get the AC for my Thar. I do not want to go the non-SOP if there is a way forward the with the Kit.

friend,
i have got AC installed in my THAR CRDe yesterday with we cool @ Margrath road for 25250/- rs.All works fine.Mine is the 9th vehicle he installed.Works fine with heater as well.Was a very clean fit with OE spares, except thermostat,condenser coil & RD bottle.Go & do it.Dont waste money with ASC by paying @ 60K.

Last edited by Rajith : 28th October 2011 at 11:09.
Rajith is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 28th October 2011, 11:40   #179
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rajith View Post
friend,
i have got AC installed in my THAR CRDe yesterday with we cool @ Margrath road for 25250/- rs.All works fine.Mine is the 9th vehicle he installed.Works fine with heater as well.Was a very clean fit with OE spares, except thermostat,condenser coil & RD bottle.Go & do it.Dont waste money with ASC by paying @ 60K.

Hi Ranjith
Sorry for the OT - I am planning to add A/C to my new Gypsy in a few months time. I need feedback about We Cool - how is their workmanship? Is their execution and attention to detail good? Is there any piping or a/c related gear exposed inside cabin or is everything concealed? Do they listen to customer requirements and try to match or do they have a "this is how we do it" approach like every other shop?

Lastly how many days did they take and did you have to leave your car with them overnight? Any suspect abuse or mis-use of the car when left overnight for days?

Thanks
--Ragul

Last edited by Ragul : 28th October 2011 at 11:43.
Ragul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st October 2011, 10:05   #180
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rajith View Post
friend,
Hey Rajith - Just curious - did you get a chance to notice the drop in mileage. How much is it with AC.
I've heard and noticed the noise levels drop considerably inside the cabin once the AC is installed - Did you also notice this. I mean this is over and above the noise levels that you experience with the ability to drive with the windows rolled up.

Enjoy your Thar - And thank you for posting your experience about the AC - I am still contemplating about it.

Cheers
Carrot