Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > 4x4 & Off-Roading > 4x4 Technical

Old 10th September 2013, 14:01   #316

Default Re: Advice on fitting an air-conditioner in the Mahindra Thar

Hi Ashish; can you please pm me your mobile number; need to speak with you about the above Insulation. Thanks & Cheers.
The Aviator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th November 2013, 10:42   #317

Even though I have a factory fitted a/c in my Thar, this seems like the best place to post my query.

My a/c suddenly stopped cooling even though the blower works. I showed it around to a couple of ASCs and all pointed out gas leakage as the problem. I eventually took it to NBS Mahindra in Mumbai where they diagnosed the problem as a 'probably a leakage in the cooling coil'. The cost quoted for replacing the coil was 15k with another 3k for labor! This according to them is 'likely' to solve the issue but then they might need to do some more replacements if it doesn't!

I'm trying to figure out if there is a cheaper and less iterative solution to this or only a hit and trial would work? Does any one know of a good a/c repair shop in Mumbai? Also can't a 'leaked' cooling coil be repaired - why does it have to be replaced?

Great if someone can help with this or share a similar experience.
red herring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th November 2013, 11:59   #318
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by red herring View Post
Even though I have a factory fitted a/c in my Thar, this seems like the best place to post my query.

My a/c suddenly stopped cooling even though the blower works. I showed it around to a couple of ASCs and all pointed out gas leakage as the problem. I eventually took it to NBS Mahindra in Mumbai where they diagnosed the problem as a 'probably a leakage in the cooling coil'. The cost quoted for replacing the coil was 15k with another 3k for labor! This according to them is 'likely' to solve the issue but then they might need to do some more replacements if it doesn't!

I'm trying to figure out if there is a cheaper and less iterative solution to this or only a hit and trial would work? Does any one know of a good a/c repair shop in Mumbai? Also can't a 'leaked' cooling coil be repaired - why does it have to be replaced?

Great if someone can help with this or share a similar experience.
The surest method of checking for leakage is as follows
. Go to a good third party automobile AC shop.
. They will charge the system with high pressure air and then check for any leakage by a) Checking the pressure drop and b) By localizing it with soap solution.

One point of leakage is the valve where the gas is filled. This is one of those locations which are overlooked as they fit a pressure meter during testing. Ask them to check it by filling the system with pressurized air, disconnecting the hose and then checking the valve for leakage.

Normally the cooling coil is one piece pipe with radiator fins fitted and as it is extremely compact, very difficult to repair. So a new one is the best choice. You can sell the old coil though.

The price quoted by ASC seems to be a bit on the higher side. Get a quote from third party AC suppliers.
Aroy is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 27th November 2013, 15:01   #319

Managed to get my ac fixed from Unicool

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/mumbai...atkopar-w.html (Car Aircon: Unicool Car Aircon, Ghatkopar (W))

in an amount which was less than 20% of that was quoted by NBS International. The ac is working fine so far. I am always wary of taking my vehicle to non ASC garage but thanks to all the feedback on the above thread I did not hesitate for a moment ( another factor was the humongous amount quoted by the ASC! )
Very happy with the professional attitude shown by Anis bhai and his team. Will certainly recommend it to others.

As for visiting ASCs for all future fixes, I guess I will go through the Team BHP directory first
red herring is offline   Reply With Quote