Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > 4x4 & Off-Roading > 4x4 Vehicles

Old 1st June 2011, 20:35   #16
BHPian

Default re: CJ3A to the rescue EDIT: Now with a VNT Turbocharger

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyWheels View Post
Would have been a sight to see! Good to know that you were able to get it back on its wheels in time.

Definitely worth I would say... but... if I say this, then does it mean that Thar pricing is spot on? (N00b assumption being 2 restored MM would at the minimum reach 7 odd lacks)

EDIT:

Looks like you have taken up water weeding with the new vehicle! LOL!
I think Thar is VFM .

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kairalee View Post
Hey Frank...what the hell is all that "greenery" on the front bumper

Did you try dredging a lake or something? LOL

BTW, this is got one awesomely clean engine bay!
MM550 got stuck royally in water. After towing that heavy mahindra out , people wanted to see the real JEEP do the crossing and this is what the JEEP discovered after successfully crossing.
Frankenstein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th June 2011, 17:28   #17
BHPian

Franky,
You jumped out and caught it before it hit the ground...Jesus thats straight out of an action movie...WOW!!!
You must be 6'6" in height and 4' wide to do that.
do take care.
regards
salil
scphanse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th June 2011, 23:53   #18
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by scphanse View Post
Franky,
You jumped out and caught it before it hit the ground...Jesus thats straight out of an action movie...WOW!!!
You must be 6'6" in height and 4' wide to do that.
do take care.
regards
salil
Salil, the JEEP was in a see saw position hence it was kind of weight less.

I am just 5.5" tall.

Gave the JEEP for the following work,

New 2" CR pipe silencer
Ironman lights with brackets to be fitted on the front bumper
Tail lights to be fitted.
FC truck gears to be fitted into the tranny
Fuel pump to be changed to increase the power of the 307
New soft top
Finally the best tyres the JEEP deserves , the 7.0016, 6 ply NDMS
Frankenstein is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 12th June 2011, 10:00   #19
BHPian

Dear Franky,
After that toppling incident I hope you are planning to put in a roll bar?
regards
salil
PS: Pls PM me your email id so that I may send you a pic for reference (since I do not know the source...:( )

Last edited by scphanse : 12th June 2011 at 10:23.
scphanse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th June 2011, 10:12   #20
BHPian

Awesomeness would be an understatement here - A CJ3A Diesel, in such top notch condition with OTR capabilities.

Franky - You are one lucky team bhpian. I am officially jealous.
Cj3bDog is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 19th June 2011, 22:16   #21
BHPian

I always had , have a soft corner for the legendary OIL MOTOR 616 engine .The 1st time i experienced this engine was in my uncles department Tempo trax.

When i got to the age of driving , again we had the Mercedes w115 240D , with the original German OM616 engine . That engine after a while was changed to the Bajaj Tempo Indian made OM616. The difference i felt between the German and Indian was

German OM616:

Was way more smoother
Used to be much more rev friendly
More powerful .
Had a Bosch fuel pump while the Indian engine came with a MICO pump.
Had a clutch FAN while the Indian one had a fixed fan.

I was some how feeling the need for more power back then . Bought a Mercedes German OM616 head and fitted to the Indian engine. The car was flying , revved more in each gear , but was heating up . So there went my 1st mod down the drain . Then i got the BOSCH pump and voila , there was a drastic improvement . All this happened 13 years back and i had totally forgotten about the OM616 engine .

Fast forward to 2011 , i was looking for a diesel JEEP . One fine day i get a call from my good friend .

HE : there is a CJ3A for sale but it does not have a ISUZU diesel engine which you wanted

ME: ((i was disappointed ) which damn engine it has?

HE: " never mind it , you wont like it "

ME: Its ok atleast tell me which engine?
He: It has a OM616 engine

That sealed the deal , in 2 hours time i was the new owner of the JEEP .
I was excited after hearing the engine roar as it brought back many happy memories with my Benz 13 years back . I knew it was much better than any Isuzu pisuzu , it was a stubborn engine , totally bullet proof , not even a total idiot driver could screw it up .

The JEEP is very powerful and even when the outside temperature was 45 c the temp was always at 80. Last week i went to Bharath motors for an oil change and was generally asking them what can be done for more power, the man there, Naryana Reddy is an expert in OM616 engines and has overhauled more that 100 OM616 engines . The conversation goes like this

He : you have to change the pump
ME: i know i know , its BOSCH right?

HE: that gives power but not the mad power you are looking for
ME: then what is it
He : you have to put a KIKI pump from the Nissan SD25 engine.
ME: How much improvement
HE: It will smoke a stock 616 and even beat the ISUZU G1.Engine will become smoother too.

I Have test driven a JEEP with this mod and there is a day and night difference, i feel there is a 30% bump in power . Its just too powerful .

There are some parts which need to be used from the existing MICO pump for alteration . I have ordered for the KIKI pump and it is coming next week after the alteration (to suit the 616). Phenomenal power anyone
Frankenstein is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 27th December 2011, 22:37   #22
BHPian

The kiki was a super hit , wheel spin and very good throttle response .
The clanking sound too is gone .

Some changes done to the Jeep.

I bought 7.00x16 JK NDMS tyres ,
FC gears installed
New top
Ironman lights
Ironman shocks
Got the fuel tank to the original position.

Engine was good , did a lot of full throttle drives .

I have given the Jeep for a engine over haul . A TO Z is being changed , Lathe work is CNC machine where Redrooster get their lathe work .

Engine is going to get a tata safari VGT turbo and its going to be set to kick in at 1000rpm and 15psi boost with an intercooler .

Last edited by Frankenstein : 27th December 2011 at 22:48.
Frankenstein is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 27th October 2012, 19:25   #23
BHPian

Got the Jeep running after a long gap . Some more niggles have to be sorted out.

The vnt turbo and intercooler are now fitted and i took a test run.
The turbo is set to start at 1700rpm , which was initially set to start around 1200rpm.
7.50x16 ndms are spinning like crazy with quarter throttle . The pump is set to 50% max flow .
All i could make out from the 5km drive i did was , too much power , needs bigger tyres, and a mitsubushi gearbox. Scorpio feels like a duck after driving this Jeep.

I got a sd25 throttle body(butterfly) fitted to the om616 air intake manifold .Have to fix it to the engine. This butterfly is much bigger that the stock one..
After the final tune, plan to set the turbo at 1100rpm and pump at 75% , and get a isuzu 4 speed gear box with 4.27 diff ratios .
The advantage of this setup now is, acceleration is better than the thar retaining the low end crawl like old jeeps.

Last edited by Frankenstein : 27th October 2012 at 19:29.
Old 27th October 2012, 22:27   #24
Senior - BHPian

Hi Frank,

Read the entire tale phew! I guess you are having a hell of a time with the fella. What I've learnt in your case is that you test all the machines to the limit and you don't stop there, you are always like "NEED FOR SPEED" kind. Wish to see the new avatar with 7.00 tyres. I was surprised you happy with a diesel motor I said "what? Frank on a diesel jeep" then I got it! 13 years old love back in the hood. All the best Frank and please post some pics.
chanu is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 28th October 2012, 09:11   #25
BHPian

Hi chanu , thanks for your kind words , there is nothing much one can do in a short low bonnet Jeep. If u raise the suspension, it will topple, cant go for a bigger engine due to space .

I figured out ,its best to leaving everything stock ,but more power can be squeezed out of the little 4 banger .
There is a american long in patel nagar with Latheef, go see it , its got a 4L engine .
Old 28th October 2012, 10:52   #26
Senior - BHPian

This Jeep reminds me of the Jeep which an old gentleman used to drive. That was in year 2004. Ameerpet. His house I guess was adjacent to Delta Chambers.
I was amused to see the old man dressed in immaculate white Kurta Payjamas riding an old vintage Jeep complete with shovel and Jerry cans. Riding a bare bones Jeep in the heat of Hyderabad.
I miss Hyderabad.
download2live is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 30th October 2012, 10:32   #27
Distinguished - BHPian

Dear Frankenstein - KIKI pump is the best mechanical pump I have ever seen and driven. Hats off to the Japanese, the engines ran beautifully. It was coming in the short wheelbase vehicles fitted with the SD25 engines and the long wheelbase vehicles fitted with the BD30 engines fitted to the "Allwyn Nissan" vehicles. If you can get hold of an original Japanese BD30, and engineer its mounting in the CJ properly, it will become the ultimate engine / vehicle combination for 4WD application.

Finally, something resembling a "Thar Beater" is seeing light of day! .

Best regards,

Behram Dhabhar
DHABHAR.BEHRAM is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 30th October 2012, 17:43   #28
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DHABHAR.BEHRAM View Post
Dear Frankenstein - KIKI pump is the best mechanical pump I have ever seen and driven. Hats off to the Japanese, the engines ran beautifully. It was coming in the short wheelbase vehicles fitted with the SD25 engines and the long wheelbase vehicles fitted with the BD30 engines fitted to the "Allwyn Nissan" vehicles. If you can get hold of an original Japanese BD30, and engineer its mounting in the CJ properly, it will become the ultimate engine / vehicle combination for 4WD application.

Finally, something resembling a "Thar Beater" is seeing light of day! .

Best regards,

Behram Dhabhar
Beheram , thanks for your comments , there are a couple of bd30 Jeeps in HYD, mm550 and a cj5, one of my friend is fitting it in his toyota FJ40, the same person you met at MCUBE with the xd3p turbo mm550 .

You mean BD30 in the CJ3B? , can be done .
SIR,as far as beating the Thar, i said only acceleration

Attaching the pic of the bd30 in the FJ, this is an old pic before the engine mounts were fabricated .
Attached Thumbnails
CJ3A to the rescue EDIT: Now with a VNT Turbocharger-bd-30.jpg  

CJ3A to the rescue EDIT: Now with a VNT Turbocharger-20120413_140559.jpg  

Old 30th October 2012, 20:40   #29
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DHABHAR.BEHRAM View Post
Dear Frankenstein - KIKI pump is the best mechanical pump I have ever seen and driven. Hats off to the Japanese, the engines ran beautifully.

Sir,
Can you please explain me why it is better than OE Bosch pump ? The injection pump needs to inject the correct quantity at the correct time with correct spray pattern. So I am just wandering what is it that makes KIKI stand out from Bosch pump ?
Ravindra M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st October 2012, 01:22   #30
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frankenstein View Post
Hi chanu , thanks for your kind words , there is nothing much one can do in a short low bonnet Jeep. If u raise the suspension, it will topple, cant go for a bigger engine due to space .

I figured out ,its best to leaving everything stock ,but more power can be squeezed out of the little 4 banger .
There is a american long in patel nagar with Latheef, go see it , its got a 4L engine .
This leaves you with another question. Where are the latest pictures with 7.00 tyres sir. I am eager to see your beauty in its latest avtar.

I also wanted to confirm if 307 from a matador would be fine for a next power implant on a cj2b/cj3b and how better is it when compared with ISUZU.
chanu is offline   Reply With Quote