Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > 4x4 & Off-Roading > 4x4 Vehicles

Old 21st July 2011, 13:54   #31
Senior - BHPian

Default Re: Considering the Thar CRDe

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4x4addict View Post
But I think you can use the evaporator coil from the Bolero VLX to enable heating and cooling.
Correct! VLX or SLX but not SLE.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtyDan View Post
My understanding is that it has a heater standard. Also power steering.... Spike?
Yeah, the debate causing R&P Power steering.

Quote:
I myself am considering buying a Thar CRDe for use in the Himalayas even with the concern about the IFS. However, I am not particularly interested in extreme off-roading so IFS may be okay for me. I would not buy this vehicle for extreme off-roading.
We need to talk DD.

Quote:
Changing gear ratios in the differentials is ONE problem.
Not really, you can go till 4.55 easily.

Spike

Last edited by SPIKE ARRESTOR : 21st July 2011 at 13:56.
SPIKE ARRESTOR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st July 2011, 14:41   #32
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by roy_libran View Post
Any reasons why you are not considering the Xenon?
1. I want a compact vehicle. the Xenon is 4 feet longer than the Thar. It takes up 40% more area on the road surface. I want a short vehicle

2. I want a soft top.

3. As I mentioned I am skeptical of Mahindra. I am even more cynical of Tata.
Harbir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st July 2011, 15:01   #33
BHPian

^^^ Agreed on all points, including your cynicism. :-)
But, Xenon looked to be a bit more practical, when I drove it. Has a lot more creature comforts and features.
Anyways, I am still making up my mind and I dunno which way I'm gonna swing!
roy_libran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st July 2011, 15:02   #34
BHPian

I am surprised at the lack of professionalism of the Delhi Mahindra dealer.

yesterday the guy ( call him A) tells me he'll come to my place at 10am with the Thar for a test drive. Nobody came will 11. I called his number and a different guy (call him B) answers the mobile and acts surprised. When I tell him that I had arranged a test drive for today, he says "nobody arranged it on this number". When I insisted, he said he'd call back in 10 min. 2 hours later I called the reception of the dealership and asked to talk to guy A. was told guy A is off today, call his cell phone. So I call the same cell number and get Guy B a second time. Now he tells me that Guy A is off and my name was not on the TD register and that I've been put on the schedule for tomorrow.

I lost it and said that they were unprofessional in the extreme and are behaving as if they work in a government office and that I would take my business to a different dealer. So he starts making nonsensical excuses and saying how it was a mix up etc. I told that I can understand that its a mix up, but if he told me he'd call back in 10 minutes, why didn't he, and if he really did schedule me for a test drive for tomorrow morning, why didn't he call first to ask if it was convenient? More incoherent babbling followed, so I told him that I am the one with 7 lacs in my pocket and I don't intend to run around trying to beg incompetent and unprofessional idiots to take my money, and that I will find another dealer and hung up. He called me back and I told him not to call me again.

fools.

I leave on my ladakh road trip in 30 minutes. I'll see if I can do a TD in chandigarh tomorrow. Looks unlikely though. I called Goel motors and they said I can come look at it in the showroom but no TD. I asked the woman what I will do with a viewing of the vehicle when what I want to know is how it drives. she said she'll find out if I can test drive it and call me back. that was an hour ago. No phone call.

if I don't get a TD in CHD tomorrow, I will make one more attempt upon my return from Ladakh. If I don't get a TD in my very next attempt, the Thar will be off my list.

I am not dealing with unprofessional and incompetent salespeople.

I am sorry to say that I have noticed a very huge variation in the quality of dealerships. the mass market brands have sales people who behave as if they are in an anaj mandi. The Chandigarh Honda dealer was the only truly professional dealership I've been to in India since my return from the US, and there too, while I was test driving a jazz, the otherwise excellent salesperson took a mobile phone call and started talking to the other person about getting a job for his brother at some other dealer. during the test drive!

I guess "we are like that only". and I need to cool it.

Last edited by Harbir : 21st July 2011 at 15:07.
Old 21st July 2011, 15:41   #35
Senior - BHPian

Harbir i know what you feeling rite now i would just like to wish you best of luck for your Ladhak Trip, and above all welcome to INDIA
desideep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st July 2011, 15:43   #36
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harbir View Post
I am surprised at the lack of professionalism of the Delhi Mahindra dealer........

He said he'd call back in 10 min....... 2 hours later I called the reception of the dealership ......

but if he told me he'd call back in 10 minutes, why didn't he, and if he really did schedule me for a test drive for tomorrow morning, why didn't he call first to ask if it was convenient? .............

....she said she'll find out if I can test drive it and call me back. that was an hour ago. No phone call.
The "will call you back in a few minutes" is a standard response in India when they do not have an answer for you. And 4 out of 5 times, they do not mean it, and it is our naivete to actually expect them to call back.

Quote:
I am not dealing with unprofessional and incompetent salespeople.
Well, good luck buddy - you have just excluded 90% of automobile, computers and consumer electronics salespeople. But seriously, the sales people are under-trained and paid poorly. Despite that sales are booming, so there is no incentive to improve the situation.

Quote:
I guess "we are like that only". and I need to cool it.
Sad, but true.

Cheers
H3LIOS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st July 2011, 16:13   #37
Senior - BHPian

If anyone has access to this here is one more thar up there in leh.

https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?...4481684&type=1
navpreet318 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 21st July 2011, 16:47   #38
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

I am sorry to say that I have noticed a very huge variation in the quality of dealerships. the mass market brands have sales people who behave as if they are in an anaj mandi. The Chandigarh Honda dealer was the only truly professional dealership I've been to in India since my return from the US...
I can solve this one for you. Stop going to the U.S.

You might try Swami Motors in Chd. It is another big dealer in the N.E. part of the city. They have a web site.
DirtyDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st July 2011, 19:16   #39
BHPian

actually TDing a Thar is an issue. I dont think there are a lot of TD Thars available.

My M&M dealer in Gurgaon did not have one - though i managed to convince him to give me a TD in a new Thar (just because i recently swapped by old Scorp with a new one and they know me). However since this was a non-TD vehicle i was not able to "really" TD thar - only drove a couple of KMs on tar roads. Now i am pushing him to get a TD vehicle so that i can realy take a Test Drive
sach.sri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd July 2011, 10:27   #40
BHPian

Swami said they don't have a Thar in stock but I can TD the one they have in transit to them. they'll have it by monday. But I'll be in Srinagar by then.

Oh well. I guess it'll have to wait till I get back. I'll go over to Goel motors and look at their demo today. atleast that'll tell me something about the legroom.

thanks for the comments everyone, and my apologies for venting my frustration and thanks for your understanding
Old 22nd July 2011, 12:02   #41
BHPian

Seats are a must change. I've done 7000km and it just breaks your back in offroads and in bad roads in the city. My friend who has a Thar also echos the same feelings.

A/C is a must for daily drive, primarily to keep the dust out of the cabin. The cabin and dashboard attract dust like magnet and worsens the already pathetic interiors. and A/C is still not ready - vehicle was launched on Dec 21st. and the current vehicle is definitely not A/C ready. meaning it is not plug and play.

It is an awesome jeep with solid mechanicals. But, If you can hold on, I would suggest you to wait for face lift which has factory fitted A/C, better dashboard and an immobilizer. Knowing Mahindra, I am not sure if a face lift is on the cards and even if it is, how far away.
BlackRaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd July 2011, 13:30   #42
BHPian

i dont think that we will get a "facelifted" dash. It might come with A/C and i think that is it.
Do you use your Thar for offroading regularly? How is the experience? A lot of experts say that it will not be a very good offroading vehicle due to IFS and underbody design not being clean? Any comments?

I am also very interested to see what kind of interiors the export Thar has.

Has anyone seen it? Can someone paste some inside pictures?

Thanks.
sach.sri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd July 2011, 13:58   #43
BANNED

i dont think we see a THAR 2 in near future, when currently hardly 5 THARS are being manufactured by M&M!

i can see THAR going the LEGEND way....it will be a most sought after 4WD once the production stops.

the demand is dying down and the cost of buying THAR is not coming down. which is the reason for slow sales of THAR.

i would suggest, people who already have a primary car in the family, must buy a THAR as a secondry vehicle for the OTRs/daily drives and offroad satisfaction!
Parm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd July 2011, 14:19   #44
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parm View Post
i dont think we see a THAR 2 in near future, when currently hardly 5 THARS are being manufactured by M&M!
I feel Thar would go slow and steadily. Soon, government offices will order Thar to replace their erstwhile 540s and other variants. Rural people will also rope in to buy Thar. Do not underestimate finances of rural people these days.

I have heard that in my home state one government office is considering Thar as their rural workhorse jeeps.
anujmishra is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd July 2011, 14:23   #45
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by anujmishra View Post
I feel Thar would go slow and steadily. Soon, government offices will order Thar to replace their erstwhile 540s and other variants. Rural people will also rope in to buy Thar. Do not underestimate finances of rural people these days.

I have heard that in my home state one government office is considering Thar as their rural workhorse jeeps.
THAR DI is for the rural and govt dept buyers.....not CRDe!
Parm is offline   Reply With Quote