Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > 4x4 & Off-Roading > 4x4 Vehicles

Old 20th July 2011, 13:14   #1
BHPian

Default Considering the Thar CRDe

I have for years been quite skeptical of mahindra, considering my very negative opinions about the Armada and the Bolero, and not all that impressed with the Scorpio either. So I have been skeptical of the Thar and unwilling to consider any of them.

However, it now I am looking at a thar seriously.

firstly, I intend to build a dedicated off road 4x4 out of a gypsy with coil springs, long travel suspension, etc, a big project with lots of welding involved that will take time. In the meantime I need a daily driver right away. What I am looking for is a vehicle that is convenient around town, perfectly happy on intercity trips, and suitable for expeditions to Ladakh. I need good ability to cope with off road conditions so that if any streams need fording or sandy areas need crossing, I can do that, but I am not looking for this vehicle to be an extreme off roader.

Factory fitted power steering, an engine that is less affected by altitude than the gypsy's due to being turbocharged, and factory provisions for an AC really make a very strong case for the Thar. The clincher is that my wife has a spinal problem that rules out rough riding vehicles for her and the thar should be passabe while the gypsy is not.

I am not too worried about the lack of lockable space. with my wallet in my pocket and my camera bag on my person, I am willing to risk the car being broken into by a knife wielding thief.

There do remain some questions. I haven't sat in one yet so I don't know if it will have satisfactory legroom for me (I'm 6'3"). Those vintage wipers don't inspire confidence. I am wondering if I am foolish to trust mahindra reliability vs the gypsy, when a big purpose of the vehicle is to venture far away from civilization.

if the thar doesn't work out, I'll just go back to the longer term plan for a gypsy.

moderators, if this post should be part of some existing thread, please move it there.
Harbir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th July 2011, 13:58   #2
Team-BHP Support

Default Re: Considering the Thar CRDe

There is no factory AC in Thar, and also no factory fitted AC.
So unless you can get a HT fabricated soon, you cannot park it in an unsafe parking.

If you do take the plunge you can check out AC install threads of a member Alpha. He got it done in Delhi, and his setup is working fine.

As for legroom etc., I found it cramped on the front, with the steering at an odd offset.
I suggest you take a TD before taking the plunge.
tsk1979 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th July 2011, 14:19   #3
BHPian

i know it doesn't have a factory fitted AC. I said factory provisions for an AC, meaning the blower, venting, etc.

I don't expect to get a hardtop for it any time soon because I want to be able to drive it with the top and doors removed when the weather isn't too hot. Not worried about it being broken into.

I will take a test drive but it'll have to wait till I get back from ladakh (leaving tomorrow on a 3 week tour in a borrowed Touareg)
Old 20th July 2011, 15:02   #4
Senior - BHPian

You have assessed the Thar CRDe pretty much like I would. And, I understood exactly what you meant by "factory provisions for an A/C".

I think this vehicle would make a good long range trekker, e.g. Ladakh. You simply drive around things that it can't handle or that are likely to damage the IFS.

I think the seating issues, your height, her back, can be probably dealt with aftermarket with new seats if nowhere else.

One problem you might want to think about is fuel capacity. You might want carry extra fuel in remote places like Ladakh so you might consider how best to do that.
DirtyDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th July 2011, 15:08   #5
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harbir View Post
What I am looking for is a vehicle that is convenient around town, perfectly happy on intercity trips, and suitable for expeditions to Ladakh. I need good ability to cope with off road conditions so that if any streams need fording or sandy areas need crossing, I can do that, but I am not looking for this vehicle to be an extreme off roader.
Thar can meet these requirements.

Quote:
The clincher is that my wife has a spinal problem that rules out rough riding vehicles for her and the thar should be passabe while the gypsy is not.
Thar ain't that smooth either (though a BIG improvement from Gypsy) - you should look at a Safari 4x4.

Quote:
There do remain some questions. I haven't sat in one yet so I don't know if it will have satisfactory legroom for me (I'm 6'3"). Those vintage wipers don't inspire confidence. I am wondering if I am foolish to trust mahindra reliability vs the gypsy, when a big purpose of the vehicle is to venture far away from civilization.
Thar's foot-well is cramped (and I am only 5' 7") - your knees will definitely foul with the dashboard. Also, the drivers seat seems to be a bit odd - I cannot put it in words, but it is not comfortable. Sit in one and you will know what I am talking about.

Again, all you requirements can be met bang on target by the Safari 4x4. Or even a Bolero 4x4 - but you don't like Boleros, then you will not be happy with Thar either.

Cheers
Teja
H3LIOS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th July 2011, 15:29   #6
BHPian

if legroom is not adequate, its going to be out straight away. I have long legs and I wear size 12 shoes and I am not interested in being uncomfortable. AT ALL.

I called the dealer and am waiting for a call back.
Old 20th July 2011, 15:35   #7
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
if legroom is not adequate, its going to be out straight away. I have long legs and I wear size 12 shoes and I am not interested in being uncomfortable. AT ALL.

I called the dealer and am waiting for a call back.
Comfort a problem...also not the greatest ground clearance. You have gone over flooded and rocky terrain up in the mountains so you know how important that is.
Old 20th July 2011, 15:39   #8
BHPian

well, the local dealer will bring over his demo unit to my place for a test drive tomorrow. Lets see how it goes.
Old 20th July 2011, 15:41   #9
Team-BHP Support

Speaking of the Safari, a Thar is a better Offroader, if you want to participate in OTRs, In a SUV, you worry about scratches from bushes, busted bumpers and all, in a Thar you won't

Since you are very tall, Safari may be your only choice. Its a good choice if all you want to do is tough trail driving. be prepared on spending around 5000 INR on bushes and all every 30,000kms, and once every 60K kms you will need to spend 15K out of pocket for suspension and steering related work.

Since thar is also IFS, I presume, with regular trail driving, it will have similar troubles, but to a lesser extent due to lower weight.

That said, Thar will give you freedom of snorkel, manual transfer case(no borg warner thingy), wherein, a safari is best kept fully stock.

Its the best touring vehicle for large people for around 12 lakhs.
But you have to live with the niggles though!
Old 20th July 2011, 16:03   #10
BHPian

No safari for me. Its either Gypsy or Thar. I am considering the thar because its slightly more daily usable than the Gypsy. but if it doesn't work out, I'll go either go back to a gypsy and just tell my wife that we'll be using her accord when we go anywhere together, or I'll buy a practical car (jazz maybe) and put the 4x4 on hold for this year. (I have a borrowed vehicle for the ladakh trip this year, so it can wait till next year if it has to)

no Safaris, Scorpios etc for me.

I was considering the Pajero earlier and I still really like it, but I put that idea on hold while I waited to see what they would do with the BSIV issue and while I was waiting I kinda became comfortable with the idea that I don't need or want a 20 lac 4 x4 that has too much bulk for daily use in Delhi so not all that keen on it either.

so like I said, its thar or gypsy
Old 20th July 2011, 16:11   #11
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
N
I was considering the Pajero earlier and I still really like it, but I put that idea on hold while I waited to see what they would do with the BSIV issue and while I was waiting I kinda became comfortable with the idea that I don't need or want a 20 lac 4 x4 that has too much bulk for daily use in Delhi so not all that keen on it either.

so like I said, its thar or gypsy
for a 20L budget, a fortuner is also a contender.
Thar will be uncomfortable, no getting around it. You are tall and big. Mahindra does not like tall and big people (speaking from personal TD experience of scorpios etc.,)

If you can wait, then there is the Jimny which has been coming for past 5 years. Now that Duke Nukem has been released, the Jimny may also come.
Old 20th July 2011, 16:37   #12
Team-BHP Support

Quote:

However, it now I am looking at a thar seriously.

============

There do remain some questions. I haven't sat in one yet so I don't know if it will have satisfactory legroom for me (I'm 6'3").
There is adequate legroom and if you want more you can get in for better seats/frame install. There is lots of room behind the driver side seat for modification (not so much behind the passenger side seat). If you do away with the rear benches then you can install whichever seats you want -- with comfortable room for both driver & passenger

Quote:
Those vintage wipers don't inspire confidence.
But they work PERFECTLY fine.

Quote:
I am wondering if I am foolish to trust mahindra reliability vs the gypsy, when a big purpose of the vehicle is to venture far away from civilization.
The odd bits of door trim, the door openers/handles etc can/will break in the Thar. They are very poor quality -- as is all the interior parts. However, the mechanical parts seem to be bullet proof.

Quote:
...The clincher is that my wife has a spinal problem that rules out rough riding vehicles for her and the thar should be passabe while the gypsy is not...
The ride in Thar is leagues ahead of a Gypsy. You can't compare the two. The Thar soaks in the bad roads/pot holes for b'fast, compared to a Gypsy.

Quote:
...so like I said, its thar or gypsy
Like you said, if you are willing to live without the AC/Hardtop, then the Thar is perfectly suitable for what you have mentioned as requirements.
khan_sultan is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 20th July 2011, 16:41   #13
BHPian

Mahindra customizations quote 1.25 lacs for two seats and the floor customization to install the seats. thats far too much.

anybody know of a source in delhi who can supply and install aftermarket seats?
Old 20th July 2011, 16:48   #14
Senior - BHPian

I am 6 feet and recently did a extensive test drive of the Thar, the only thing that i did not like about the Jeep was the rough build for so much money, the Jeep otherwise with the stock tyre and very thing felt extreamly planted on the road i drove it till the speeds of 130 kmph which seems very fast in a jeep where there is no aerodynamics and the air is hiting like a brick. and the seat it is bit offcenter, but beleive me you will like the ride all togather. the only thing i would recommend would be to get a AC fitted and a Hardtop later on. and you will love this thing. i am a novice when it comes to driving a 4x4 but i did take it off the road into fields and a broken end of the canal i did drive it in the High and Low when in 4x4 . now i understand what it means "When no go , go LOW."
desideep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th July 2011, 16:53   #15
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Mahindra customizations quote 1.25 lacs for two seats and the floor customization to install the seats. thats far too much.

anybody know of a source in delhi who can supply and install aftermarket seats?
That's criminal! You will find great seats installed correctly for under 20,000.