Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > 4x4 & Off-Roading > 4x4 Vehicles


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 5th August 2011, 12:03   #31
Team-BHP Support
 
Jaggu's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 17,496
Thanked: 6,777 Times
Default Re: Finally got a jeep, MM international

What i meant was flush out the engine oil, no need for any additives, just use flushing oil instead. Also there are no 100% theories out there that say that flushing an old engine will degrade the performance. In my petrol CJ3B it made a good difference, ie using fresh oil (couple of frequent oil changes) and an oil pump clean up.
Jaggu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th August 2011, 21:12   #32
BHPian
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Varanasi
Posts: 348
Thanked: 62 Times
Default Re: Finally got a jeep, MM international

@jaggu
Today I went for the engine oil change and my baby really started behaving as if it has got a fresh lease of life after that.Now the engine is very responsive and more peppy.
One thing more ,I had to change the universal joint in the cross member of the propeller shaft as it was producing some dreadful sound for last three days or so.
Lastly, I was wondering if the spares of the mahindra international are readily available or not.
blueblooded is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th August 2011, 10:42   #33
Senior - BHPian
 
ex670c's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Chennai
Posts: 2,454
Thanked: 1,789 Times
Default Grease

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueblooded View Post
@jaggu
Today I went for the engine oil change and my baby really started behaving as if it has got a fresh lease of life after that.Now the engine is very responsive and more peppy.
One thing more ,I had to change the universal joint in the cross member of the propeller shaft as it was producing some dreadful sound for last three days or so.
Lastly, I was wondering if the spares of the mahindra international are readily available or not.
Hi Blue,

The Universal Joint is also known as the Cardan Cross!!!!.

Please grease all the grease fittings and use the vehicle before changing parts.

Grease Points
1) Front Knuckle 2 X 2
2) Front Prop Shaft 3
3) Front Leaf Spring 3 X 2
4) Rear Prop Shaft 3
5) Rear Leaf Spring 3 X 2
6) Clutch/Brake Pedal Bush 2
7) 4WD Lever Pin 1
8) Steering System 7-8 (Pull & Push Rod 2, Bell-Crank 1 TRE 2)
9) Rear SFRA Wheel Bearing 2

This is what I remember from my CJ3B. Experts can add or make corrections.

Regards,

Arka
ex670c is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 8th August 2011, 10:11   #34
BHPian
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Varanasi
Posts: 348
Thanked: 62 Times
Default Re: Grease

Quote:
Originally Posted by ex670c View Post
Hi Blue,

The Universal Joint is also known as the Cardan Cross!!!!.

Please grease all the grease fittings and use the vehicle before changing parts.

Grease Points
1) Front Knuckle 2 X 2
2) Front Prop Shaft 3
3) Front Leaf Spring 3 X 2
4) Rear Prop Shaft 3
5) Rear Leaf Spring 3 X 2
6) Clutch/Brake Pedal Bush 2
7) 4WD Lever Pin 1
8) Steering System 7-8 (Pull & Push Rod 2, Bell-Crank 1 TRE 2)
9) Rear SFRA Wheel Bearing 2

This is what I remember from my CJ3B. Experts can add or make corrections.

Regards,

Arka
Yesterday I took my jeep to nearby Vindhyan ranges,to test the capacity and the juice of the international engine .It was honky and dory until the hill,i mean ,the engine was ok doing 60kmh on flat tarmac.
But the story got quite a bit twisted as we started climbing little incline ,I was feeling as if the the engine is gasping for breathe ,moreover I had to engage the 4Wd to negotiate the incline ,whereas the accompanying mm classic with swapped Nissan engine didnot face any problem.
This incident has made me think that i need to go for engine rebuilt immediately ,along with whole body, chassis and other mechanical works.
Now the quandary is whether I should go for
1.Overhauling the current heart -international engine-In this case ,I dont know whether the quality spares of the said engine is available.
2.Plonking a second hand mahindra DI engine that-In that case how much price is OK ,
Moreover wiil the current gear box and transfer case can go with the DI engine-the current gear box is 4+1,with working 4wd.
Guide me
3. I am prepared to spend around lac rupee over the complete rebuilt
4.Jeep gurus kindly go through the pics of chassis ,which shows that it had been repaired once -Will the the current chassis can be rebuilt to acceptable state so that i can last 10 to 15 years ?
4.I want to remind that I had gone for engine oil change 3 days ago-so loss of power -during the climb-should not be precipitated by low engine oil in the oil chamber.It has to be owing to weak engine .
blueblooded is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th August 2011, 10:25   #35
Senior - BHPian
 
ex670c's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Chennai
Posts: 2,454
Thanked: 1,789 Times
Default Re: Grease

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueblooded View Post
Yesterday I took my jeep to nearby Vindhyan ranges,to test the capacity and the juice of the international engine .It was honky and dory until the hill,i mean ,the engine was ok doing 60kmh on flat tarmac.
But the story got quite a bit twisted as we started climbing little incline ,I was feeling as if the the engine is gasping for breathe ,moreover I had to engage the 4Wd to negotiate the incline ,whereas the accompanying mm classic with swapped Nissan engine didnot face any problem.
This incident has made me think that i need to go for engine rebuilt immediately ,along with whole body, chassis and other mechanical works.
Now the quandary is whether I should go for
1.Overhauling the current heart -international engine-In this case ,I dont know whether the quality spares of the said engine is available.
2.Plonking a second hand mahindra DI engine that-In that case how much price is OK ,
Moreover wiil the current gear box and transfer case can go with the DI engine-the current gear box is 4+1,with working 4wd.
Guide me
3. I am prepared to spend around lac rupee over the complete rebuilt
4.Jeep gurus kindly go through the pics of chassis ,which shows that it had been repaired once -Will the the current chassis can be rebuilt to acceptable state so that i can last 10 to 15 years ?
4.I want to remind that I had gone for engine oil change 3 days ago-so loss of power -during the climb-should not be precipitated by low engine oil in the oil chamber.It has to be owing to weak engine .
Hi Blueblooded,

The B275 is 38bhp 12Kgm running 4.27 Differential Ratio.

So occasionally you can feel is gasping for breath.

Check the engine for loss of compression before going in for a rebuild or swap.

Post the pics of the chassis where the repair work has been done.

Parts for the B275 are easily available, a common tractor engine.

Regards,

Arka

PS - What gear did you try the incline in?
ex670c is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 8th August 2011, 10:42   #36
BHPian
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Varanasi
Posts: 348
Thanked: 62 Times
Default Re: Grease

Quote:
Originally Posted by ex670c View Post
Hi Blueblooded,

The B275 is 38bhp 12Kgm running 4.27 Differential Ratio.

So occasionally you can feel is gasping for breath.

Check the engine for loss of compression before going in for a rebuild or swap.

Post the pics of the chassis where the repair work has been done.

Parts for the B275 are easily available, a common tractor engine.

Regards,

Arka

PS - What gear did you try the incline in?
Dear Arka, thanks for the prompt reply.
As regards the loss of compression its very well evident as engine is spluttering enghine oil from the engine oil refill opening .
Its really good that B275 parts are readily available ,then i would just go for engine overhaul ,no swap ,because people are quoting unreasonable price ranging from 40k to 60k ,
You have taken great load off my head.
thanks a lot .
P.S. - I would soon be posting the chassis pictures
regards
praveen singh
blueblooded is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th August 2011, 17:52   #37
BHPian
 
sreejeshmp's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 623
Thanked: 571 Times
Default Re: Finally got a jeep, MM international

I think now you got what I told. Rebuilding the CJ500D Engine (B275) is not a good idea. Its not worth the money and time spending on the engine.Try to get Di Engine with 4 speed 4wd Gearbox. If you are in a budget go for the MM540Engine & KMT90 4WD Gearbox. This was the only reason I Sold my CJ500 4WD. (http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/4x4-ve...rebuild-6.html (Mahindra CJ 500D 4WD Rebuild))

- Sreejesh
sreejeshmp is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 8th August 2011, 18:20   #38
BHPian
 
Shubhendra's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Poona
Posts: 948
Thanked: 1,107 Times
Default Re: Finally got a jeep, MM international

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueblooded View Post
Dear Arka, thanks for the prompt reply.
As regards the loss of compression its very well evident as engine is spluttering enghine oil from the engine oil refill opening .
Its really good that B275 parts are readily available ,then i would just go for engine overhaul ,no swap ,because people are quoting unreasonable price ranging from 40k to 60k ,
You have taken great load off my head.
thanks a lot .
P.S. - I would soon be posting the chassis pictures
regards
praveen singh
Dear Praveen,
I suggest you to go for DI engine, although derived from B275 aka Inter engine. it is rugged and smooth as compared to B275.worth every penny.
Also you don't have to do any modification for this swap. You can get DI engine in Allahabad for 30-40K.
Regards,
Shubhendra Singh
Shubhendra is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 8th August 2011, 22:24   #39
BHPian
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Varanasi
Posts: 348
Thanked: 62 Times
Default Re: Finally got a jeep, MM international

Quote:
Originally Posted by sreejeshmp View Post
I think now you got what I told. Rebuilding the CJ500D Engine (B275) is not a good idea. Its not worth the money and time spending on the engine.Try to get Di Engine with 4 speed 4wd Gearbox. If you are in a budget go for the MM540Engine & KMT90 4WD Gearbox. This was the only reason I Sold my CJ500 4WD. (http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/4x4-ve...rebuild-6.html (Mahindra CJ 500D 4WD Rebuild))

- Sreejesh
Dear Sreejesh you sold your cj-500!I very well agree with you that 38 bhp is too low for regular usage.I learnt it hard way when I was climbing uphill ,it was as if somebody is trying to pull the vehicle downhill
On the serious note ,will it be advisable to mate MM540 engine and CJ500D Chasssis,jeep gurus do comment
Now the di option seems more sensible and reasonable

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shubhendra View Post
Dear Praveen,
I suggest you to go for DI engine, although derived from B275 aka Inter engine. it is rugged and smooth as compared to B275.worth every penny.
Also you don't have to do any modification for this swap. You can get DI engine in Allahabad for 30-40K.
Regards,
Shubhendra Singh
Dear Shubhendra ,
I am gravitating towards DI engine .As you said ,will the DI engine be able to mesh properly with my current gear box and T-case.Moreover I cant live without the 4wd , I have sort of fallen in love with that.
Please tell me where exactly to get the DI engine in Allahabad from?
I am also posting some more pictures of chassis element ,do comment on the conditions and steps needed to rectify the problems
Attached Images
       

Last edited by blueblooded : 8th August 2011 at 22:29. Reason: some punctuation errors
blueblooded is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th August 2011, 23:39   #40
Senior - BHPian
 
jeepster's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: MH24 aka LATUR
Posts: 1,521
Thanked: 941 Times
Default Re: Finally got a jeep, MM international

chassis looks ok to me.

but gearbox cross member is not.

as there must be a Wedge to give a incline to the engine.


EDIT: dose the B275 has factory fitted wedges?
AFAIK they are used in CJ340DP / Classic for needed 6degree incline of Peugeots.
for the engine i will suggest a MDI3200B (aka big crank di) with more power & torque.

can be bought @ 20~25K by trading your old engine. (this depends on the availability of engine)

rgds,
Nikhil

Last edited by jeepster : 8th August 2011 at 23:48.
jeepster is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 9th August 2011, 11:59   #41
BHPian
 
Shubhendra's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Poona
Posts: 948
Thanked: 1,107 Times
Default Re: Finally got a jeep, MM international

Dear Praveen,
Chasis look OK to me. i couldn't find any cracks which you mentioned in your earlier posts.
I don't know the exact address of that place in Allahabad, but it's like a scrap market or chor bazaar where you get old automobile spares.
Warning: Please go to this place only if you know about engine, otherwise you can also get engine from Banaras. I suggest you to get the engine from known mechanic for the sake of genuineness.
Also you don't have to change your gearbox or transfer case for this conversion.

Regards,
Shubhendra Singh
Shubhendra is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 10th August 2011, 10:43   #42
BHPian
 
Baburajs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 265
Thanked: 14 Times
Default Re: Finally got a jeep, MM international

Yes The chasis looks ok for me too but for a good wash :-) . The DI should be a good option if you have the money. It will give a fresh lease of life for the engine but will be costly for you.

Also as Arka said please do the greasing immediately.

Babu
Baburajs is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 10th August 2011, 13:58   #43
BHPian
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Varanasi
Posts: 348
Thanked: 62 Times
Default Re: Finally got a jeep, MM international

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepster View Post
chassis looks ok to me.

but gearbox cross member is not.

as there must be a Wedge to give a incline to the engine.


EDIT: dose the B275 has factory fitted wedges?
AFAIK they are used in CJ340DP / Classic for needed 6degree incline of Peugeots.
for the engine i will suggest a MDI3200B (aka big crank di) with more power & torque.

can be bought @ 20~25K by trading your old engine. (this depends on the availability of engine)

rgds,
Nikhil
Thanks a lot Nikhil ,please elaborate the wedge thing which you mentioned above,I mean whats wrong and and how to get it right,i would go for DI engine as suggested by you.It would need some time for searching
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shubhendra View Post
Dear Praveen,
Chasis look OK to me. i couldn't find any cracks which you mentioned in your earlier posts.
I don't know the exact address of that place in Allahabad, but it's like a scrap market or chor bazaar where you get old automobile spares.
Warning: Please go to this place only if you know about engine, otherwise you can also get engine from Banaras. I suggest you to get the engine from known mechanic for the sake of genuineness.
Also you don't have to change your gearbox or transfer case for this conversion.

Regards,
Shubhendra Singh
Thanks Shubhendra,
I would go scouting for the DI engine soon.Secondly I didnot say that chassis of my jeep is cracked somewhere ,Its just that previous owner has gone for strengthening the chassis by welding iron plates.I would post some pictures of the chassis after washing ,then you would get what i meant.
Its really great to learn that same gear box and T-case can go with DI engine.
One thing more as pointed by Behram Dhabarji that if its working let it be as it is as regards MMCJ500D,So the restoration of mine would be slow and on need basis.
I would definitely source the DI engine from known mechanic as and when I could muster enough resources.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Baburajs View Post
Yes The chasis looks ok for me too but for a good wash :-) . The DI should be a good option if you have the money. It will give a fresh lease of life for the engine but will be costly for you.

Also as Arka said please do the greasing immediately.

Babu
Hi Baburaj,
Its good to listen from you,the more the merrier .Yes ,I would go for washing and regular washing soon and of course the regular greasing.
blueblooded is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th August 2011, 22:23   #44
BHPian
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Varanasi
Posts: 348
Thanked: 62 Times
Default Re: Grease

Quote:
Originally Posted by ex670c View Post
Hi Blueblooded,

The B275 is 38bhp 12Kgm running 4.27 Differential Ratio.

So occasionally you can feel is gasping for breath.

Check the engine for loss of compression before going in for a rebuild or swap.

Post the pics of the chassis where the repair work has been done.

Parts for the B275 are easily available, a common tractor engine.

Regards,

Arka

PS - What gear did you try the incline in?
Arka ,i was driving in second gear,suddenly i had to apply break as the road was jammed when i later traffic started moving i employed the 4wd too.
I am posting some more pics after getting it washed and greased properly.
Arka ,jeepster mentioned that something is wrong with the gear mechanism through a wedge diagram.Please simplify the things .
I went to mutual friends garage he cited the following amount for the various jobs to be done
1.Denting -whole body to be detached from chassis and minor tinkering to be done,it also includes windshield glass frame job-Rs12,000/
2.Painting -Rs14,500/(metallic color with whole body and chassis completed sand blasted).
3.Seats (Both front and rear seats)-Rs9,000/
4.Electrical wiring (with new Lucas Altenator)-Rs8,000/
5.A pair of front seats-Rs4,000/
6.Miscellaneous mechanicals jobs-6000/
Attached Images
     
blueblooded is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th August 2011, 23:03   #45
Senior - BHPian
 
jeepster's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: MH24 aka LATUR
Posts: 1,521
Thanked: 941 Times
Default Re: Finally got a jeep, MM international

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueblooded View Post
Thanks a lot Nikhil ,please elaborate the wedge thing which you mentioned above,I mean whats wrong and and how to get it right,i would go for DI engine as suggested by you.It would need some time for searching
i was referring to the small wedges on the gearbox cross member. (http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/4x4-ve...ricane-34.html (Got Jeep! CJ3B Hurricane.))
shown here.

here the wedge is not present.

AFAIK these wedges are used in vehicles using Peugeot engines.
the petrol jeeps dosent have them.

i am not sure about the B275 had the wedges or not.
arka & spike will be able to give more info.

BTW is there a crack in the chassis?

jeepster is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
The International Driving License (IDL) / International Driving Permit (IDP) Thread amitoj Route / Travel Queries 461 22nd August 2017 23:24
At the International Border - With an XUV500 to International Border Pillar No. 609 nndp87 Travelogues 34 25th March 2016 14:33
Finally Finally Finally!!! sudeep.bansal Introduce yourself 7 26th June 2013 23:04
Finally finally finally finally... s4ch Introduce yourself 3 29th March 2012 19:44
Finally, finally , finally..after 2applications. I am here!! Fordmanchau Introduce yourself 4 22nd July 2009 15:20


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 01:44.

Copyright 2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks