Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > 4x4 & Off-Roading > 4x4 Vehicles


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 19th August 2011, 09:55   #61
Senior - BHPian
 
ex670c's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Chennai
Posts: 2,454
Thanked: 1,789 Times
Default Re: Finally got a jeep, MM international

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueblooded View Post
Dear Arka thanks for your judicious reply,neither am i so bent on changing engine to mm 540 or for that matter any other make.
Now given the state of my engine I would have to go for engine rebuild in a years' span and that would entail expending around 20k-25k rupees.
Moreover the rebuilt engine of international would only be slightly better than the current one.
So please tell me why are you dead against changing the engine.
Please elaborate as that could be basis of my final decision
regards
praveen singh
Hi Praveen,

I'm not dead against you doing anything, it your time and money.

Can you list out what all is required to change the engine from B275 to XDP4.9?

hint: All the details are up on TeamBHP.

Regards,

Arka
ex670c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th August 2011, 10:11   #62
BHPian
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Varanasi
Posts: 348
Thanked: 62 Times
Default Re: Finally got a jeep, MM international

Quote:
Originally Posted by ex670c View Post
Hi Praveen,

I'm not dead against you doing anything, it your time and money.

Can you list out what all is required to change the engine from B275 to XDP4.9?

hint: All the details are up on TeamBHP.

Regards,

Arka
I am really sorry for making you cross at me.
Now frankly I dont know whats required to change the engine from B275 to XDP4.9
Now please do tell me whats the difficult areas in the heart transplant.
I understand my naivety might have annoyed you
blueblooded is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th August 2011, 10:29   #63
Senior - BHPian
 
ex670c's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Chennai
Posts: 2,454
Thanked: 1,789 Times
Default Re: Finally got a jeep, MM international

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueblooded View Post
I am really sorry for making you cross at me.
Now frankly I dont know whats required to change the engine from B275 to XDP4.9
Now please do tell me whats the difficult areas in the heart transplant.
I understand my naivety might have annoyed you
Hi Blue Blooded,

I'm not annoyed, just use your JEEP more and post some nice off-roading pics.

To convert a CJ500D to CJ500DP.

1) Engine Mounts of the Chassis has to be changed to that suitable for Peugeot Engines.
a) The mounts have to be aligned with the Transmission.
b) The Front Diff-Should not foul the XDP4.9 Crankcase.
c) To align the engine and transmission you have to get the Chassis Wedges (Between the Chassis & Cross Member)
2) Change the Bell-Housing, Transmission Cross-Member, Change the Silencer Routing.

3) While Aligning the Engine & Transmission Cross-member you will have to get a Spike Arrester fitted.

4) You will have to change the Radiator and hoses.

5) Since the XDP4.9 + T90 (3speed) is quite in-effective you may need to change to KMT90, that will include pushing back the Cross-member, hence transmission back by 1.2inches. This may result in cutting the floor/Gearbox Shield to accommodate the new Gearbox and Shifting Levers

6) If you go in for a 4 Speed then the Front and Rear Prop Shaft Lengths will change, so you will have to get 2 Prop-Shafts.

7) The real Kicker is you will have to Change the Differential Ratio (Front & Rear) to 44/9 or 43/8 for the XDP4.9 engine.

And to change the Front Diff-Ratio you might as well service the Hubs/Drums and Brakes again

8) Since you are converting a CJ500D to CJ500DP, the Rear Diff-Pinion Angle will not be exact but still you can manage.

9) Change the Accelerator Linkage to the Cable Type.

These are the points I remember, the gurus can add to what all I have missed out.

Regards,

Arka
ex670c is offline   (5) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 19th August 2011, 10:50   #64
BHPian
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Varanasi
Posts: 348
Thanked: 62 Times
Default Re: Finally got a jeep, MM international

Quote:
Originally Posted by ex670c View Post
Hi Blue Blooded,

I'm not annoyed, just use your JEEP more and post some nice off-roading pics.

===========

These are the points I remember, the gurus can add to what all I have missed out.

Regards,

Arka
Dear Arka ,
Thanks a lot for detailed dos needed for the conversion.
Its really very-2 difficult for the beginners to supervise
Now I understand why were you insisting on keeping it stock for a while and to quote you "to get the hang" of the beast.
Now I wont go for the said conversion in jiffy .
The only consolation is the gear box is 4speed i.e. four forward and one reverse as previous owner has gone for changing it .
Thanks again for saving me

Last edited by Jaggu : 21st August 2011 at 17:33. Reason: Please avoid Quoting entire large posts. Thanks
blueblooded is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th August 2011, 10:52   #65
BHPian
 
Frankenstein's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Bangalore/hyderabad
Posts: 330
Thanked: 269 Times
Default Re: Finally got a jeep, MM international

blueblooded, you can use your existing 3 -speed gearbox with 4.27 crown pinion with the xdp4.9 engine . But as said above it may not be too effective but will surely do the work .

If you are going to use the 4-speed then you have to alter the prop shafts . Why not fit in a 307 engine to your existing 3 speed and change the crown pinion to 8/43.
Frankenstein is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 19th August 2011, 11:16   #66
BHPian
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Varanasi
Posts: 348
Thanked: 62 Times
Default Re: Finally got a jeep, MM international

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frankenstein View Post
blueblooded, you can use your existing 3 -speed gearbox with 4.27 crown pinion with the xdp4.9 engine . But as said above it may not be too effective but will surely do the work .

If you are going to use the 4-speed then you have to alter the prop shafts . Why not fit in a 307 engine to your existing 3 speed and change the crown pinion to 8/43.
Dear Frankenstein,
Thanks for the suggestion but as of now I have decided to keep my cj500d stock as any conversion would involve hell lot of mental,physical and last but not least monetary commitments .
Last post of Arka has really forced me think wholistically .
Please note that my jeep is already 4 speed (4 forward gear and one reverse)
I may try restoring a mm550 after getting it from army auction but not this jeep.
At most i can go for rebuilding the stock B275 engine in a years' time .
regards
Praveen

Last edited by blueblooded : 19th August 2011 at 11:19. Reason: adding information
blueblooded is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st August 2011, 09:09   #67
BHPian
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Varanasi
Posts: 348
Thanked: 62 Times
Default Re: Finally got a jeep, MM international

Quote:
Originally Posted by ex670c View Post
Hi Blue Blooded,

I'm not annoyed, just use your JEEP more and post some nice off-roading pics.
==============
These are the points I remember, the gurus can add to what all I have missed out.

Regards,

Arka
Dear Arka ,
My steering assembly is quite hard and give me impression that I should go changing it to new one,I mean the whole set up which i presume would be in range of 10000 rupees .I have learnt that many people have gone for rane type steering assembly .Please tell me what exactly is part no and can it fitted in my cj500D
Moreover I am posting pics of Tata rims ,kindly tell me if its straight fit into my jeeps as all the rims of my jeep are in very poor state
Attached Images
 

Last edited by Jaggu : 21st August 2011 at 17:32. Reason: Please avoid Quoting entire large posts. Thanks
blueblooded is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st August 2011, 17:15   #68
Senior - BHPian
 
ex670c's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Chennai
Posts: 2,454
Thanked: 1,789 Times
Default Re: Finally got a jeep, MM international

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueblooded View Post
Dear Arka ,
My steering assembly is quite hard and give me impression that I should go changing it to new one,I mean the whole set up which i presume would be in range of 10000 rupees .I have learnt that many people have gone for rane type steering assembly .Please tell me what exactly is part no and can it fitted in my cj500D
Moreover I am posting pics of Tata rims ,kindly tell me if its straight fit into my jeeps as all the rims of my jeep are in very poor state
Hi Pranav,

The Older M&M JEEPs are 139.7PCD Wheel Disc. The Tata & Nemwer M&M Vehicles are 160PCD,

In short you cannot change to the newer wheel disc.

Please post pics of your steering setup.

Regards,

Arka
ex670c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd August 2011, 10:49   #69
BHPian
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Varanasi
Posts: 348
Thanked: 62 Times
Default Re: Finally got a jeep, MM international

Quote:
Originally Posted by ex670c View Post
Hi Pranav,

The Older M&M JEEPs are 139.7PCD Wheel Disc. The Tata & Nemwer M&M Vehicles are 160PCD,

In short you cannot change to the newer wheel disc.

Please post pics of your steering setup.

Regards,

Arka
I am posting pictures of steering assembly along with both the differentials ,please tell me whats advisable for steering assembly
P.S.-Tell me if the both the differential are like in the differential ratios.
Bear with stupid questions
regards
Praveen singh
Attached Images
      
blueblooded is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd August 2011, 11:00   #70
Senior - BHPian
 
ex670c's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Chennai
Posts: 2,454
Thanked: 1,789 Times
Default Diff!!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueblooded View Post
I am posting pictures of steering assembly along with both the differentials ,please tell me whats advisable for steering assembly
P.S.-Tell me if the both the differential are like in the differential ratios.
Bear with stupid questions
regards
Praveen singh
Hi Praveen,

Please Grease the Steering System. IIRC I have posted about the Grease Points (7 for the Steering System)

Also Check the Gear Oil Level in the Steering Box you can use a 90W or 85W140 Gear Oil.

Please confirm if your steering setup is using a UJ at the steering box input shaft.

After that decide if the steering box is hard or smooth.

The M&M JEEPs have been using Dana 44 Front & Rear Diff from the mid 1960s.

The OEM Diff-Ratio for a B275/MDI series vehicles is 4.27:1 or 47/11 Crown/Pinion Gear.

The Front & Rear Diff-Ratios MUSR be same for the vehicle to function effectively in 4WD (Hi/Lo)

You can check it by removing the Diff-Cover and counting the teeth on the Crown Gear.

Regards,

Arka
ex670c is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 13th September 2011, 10:33   #71
BHPian
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Varanasi
Posts: 348
Thanked: 62 Times
Talking Brand new clothes for my baby MM international

Dear,bhpians after being idle for a fortnight , I thought why not post the new development which has taken place regards my jeep .
I changed the body cover of the baby ,and went for the thorough cleansing of the body shell and chassis using caustic soda (NaoH) which cut through ages old sludge and rust
As I am low on budget so ,I went for a black plastic paint after drying the under belly and chassis using the pressure blower.
I am attaching the pictures for your comments

regards
Praveen
Attached Images
       
blueblooded is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th January 2012, 01:51   #72
BHPian
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Varanasi
Posts: 348
Thanked: 62 Times
Default Re: Finally got a jeep, MM international

Hi arka ,
Now it seems that jeep bug has really got better of me or else how could i peruse the old thread of mine when I have to take provincial service exams from 15 the of this month ,ok let it be
Now ,after driving the current jeep for whole 8 months ,i have had proper understanding of it.
Now i want to restore it ,some questions
1.Should i keep the original B275 engine or replace it with the MDI big crank engine?
2.Should i rebuild the present engine one last time and save on cost and other issues in engine swap.
I am also getting rebuilt my MM540, still I want this jeep to be built too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ex670c View Post
Hi Praveen,

I'm not dead against you doing anything, it your time and money.

Can you list out what all is required to change the engine from B275 to XDP4.9?

hint: All the details are up on TeamBHP.

Regards,

Arka
blueblooded is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th January 2012, 10:34   #73
Senior - BHPian
 
ex670c's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Chennai
Posts: 2,454
Thanked: 1,789 Times
Default Mdi3200tc

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueblooded View Post
Hi arka ,
Now it seems that jeep bug has really got better of me or else how could i peruse the old thread of mine when I have to take provincial service exams from 15 the of this month ,ok let it be
Now ,after driving the current jeep for whole 8 months ,i have had proper understanding of it.
Now i want to restore it ,some questions
1.Should i keep the original B275 engine or replace it with the MDI big crank engine?
2.Should i rebuild the present engine one last time and save on cost and other issues in engine swap.
I am also getting rebuilt my MM540, still I want this jeep to be built too.
Hi Praveen,

Chenage the engine to MDI3200TC with KMT-90+T18.

Keep the existing Diff-Ratio of 4.27:1

Regards,

Arka
ex670c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th January 2012, 18:51   #74
BHPian
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Varanasi
Posts: 348
Thanked: 62 Times
Default Re: Mdi3200tc

Quote:
Originally Posted by ex670c View Post
Hi Praveen,

Chenage the engine to MDI3200TC with KMT-90+T18.

Keep the existing Diff-Ratio of 4.27:1

Regards,

Arka
Would there be any alteration required in the engine mounting to go for the above change in the engine mounting .
Also,I am having KMT-90+T18 with MMcj500d ,will the proposed engine be a straight fit to the my old gear box .
regards
Praveen singh
blueblooded is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th January 2012, 10:37   #75
Senior - BHPian
 
ex670c's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Chennai
Posts: 2,454
Thanked: 1,789 Times
Default Re: Mdi3200tc

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueblooded View Post
Would there be any alteration required in the engine mounting to go for the above change in the engine mounting .
Also,I am having KMT-90+T18 with MMcj500d ,will the proposed engine be a straight fit to the my old gear box .
regards
Praveen singh
Hi Praveen,

The engine mounts/Brackets have to be changed to the XD3P/MDI3200TC type NGCS Mount.

Buy the engine with the 4 Speed Bell-Housing (Maxx-Truck/Pik-up)

Regards,

Arka
ex670c is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
The International Driving License (IDL) / International Driving Permit (IDP) Thread amitoj Route / Travel Queries 459 17th August 2017 18:30
At the International Border - With an XUV500 to International Border Pillar No. 609 nndp87 Travelogues 34 25th March 2016 14:33
Finally Finally Finally!!! sudeep.bansal Introduce yourself 7 26th June 2013 23:04
Finally finally finally finally... s4ch Introduce yourself 3 29th March 2012 19:44
Finally, finally , finally..after 2applications. I am here!! Fordmanchau Introduce yourself 4 22nd July 2009 15:20


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 05:12.

Copyright 2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks