Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > 4x4 & Off-Roading > 4x4 Vehicles

Closed Thread

Old 23rd August 2011, 22:54   #211
Distinguished - BHPian

Default Re: New Fortuner / Pajero versus Used '08 Montero. Which would you pick?

Harbir, I don't understand this, but there's your focus on reliability out on the Touareg thread, and over here you're not talking about it at all, declining to choose a Toyota when it wins hands down in any reliability survey worldwide. Apart from a poor dealer sales experience (which is forgivable considering the mismatch between demand and supply of the Fortuner), but once that painful part is over, you would be more at peace with your vehicle than if you chose any other.
Old 23rd August 2011, 23:06   #212
BHPian

Default Re: New Fortuner / Pajero versus Used '08 Montero. Which would you pick?

I'd be delighted to see reliability surveys that show that that the pajero is significantly less reliable than the Fortuner.

it would make me seriously rethink things.

Mitsubishi has performed very poorly in reliability surveys due to significant problems with the galant, the eclipse, and the 3000GT, but the first and second generation pajeros were very highly rated for reliability (as I recall

if this is not true and there is data out there highlighting the lack of reliability of the 2nd generation pajero/montero/shogun, especially vis-a-vis the Fortuner, I would be very keen to see it.

Thanks!

Last edited by Harbir : 23rd August 2011 at 23:08.
Old 23rd August 2011, 23:21   #213
Distinguished - BHPian

This discussion might make for some interesting reading: Pajero Vs. Fortuner - Thailand Forum. The situation in India is not much different.
Old 23rd August 2011, 23:34   #214
BHPian

thanks! I'll read through it.

EDIT: I looked through it twice. I didn't see statistical survey information about reliability. Did I miss something?

Last edited by Harbir : 23rd August 2011 at 23:38.
Old 24th August 2011, 00:33   #215
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harbir View Post
I didn't see statistical survey information about reliability.
No statistics there. Just opinions. Like...
Quote:
Compared to the Mitsubishi Pajero Sport, even the Thais I ask would also opt for the Fortuner. Rumours though are that Mitsubishi after sales service is inexistent. Any first hand experience? I also know that Toyota has better resale value but, will the Pajero be worth the price difference...
Quote:
When the more key components of your car start to require replacement, it's pretty easy to blow well past that initial 100k Baht in savings. Even more so, sometimes incredibly more so if you have to deal with hard to find parts (or worse yet buy into a model that gets discontinued) and have to deal with mechanics that aren't familiar with your make and model because it's only one of a few thousand sold in the whole country several years ago,
Quote:
Of course, in the end, most people will go with their spur of the moment decision and not think of 4-5 years down the road... when they might start needing service centers in far flung areas of Thailand. Which is all good if you're a mechanic or don't plan on using your car that long and will replace it anyway.
Oh, but why am I arguing with an expert specializing in race tuning anyway? What are YOU scared of reliability for? I might as well quote you and
Quote:
...shut up now because I don't want to upset you ...any further.
Old 24th August 2011, 10:08   #216
BHPian

The opinions you offer from the thai forum have been discussed in this thread and form part of my calculations, as has also been discussed many pages ago.

I am sorry that my offering hard statistical data on the reliability of the touareg has upset you so much that you have come to mocking me. I hope you'll forgive me if I treat web forums as a place to exchange knowledge and views, and not as an opportunity to exchange unpleasantries with anonymous strangers.

cheers. I sincerely hope you have a good day.
Harbir is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th August 2011, 20:05   #217
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
We'll see. Its all in the air. tomorrow I will have my dad drive the montero and the S class that I test drove recently along with a new Pajero and we'll see how he feels about each of them.
so how was your day ? did you find anything matching your requirements ?
Old 24th August 2011, 23:41   #218
BHPian

the montero that had so enthralled me, which was at the top of the list, has been sold so no TD for my dad in that, and we're going to have to find another one :(

The S class didn't happen today because tbe seller wasn't available today.

my dad did drive a new Pajero today and said that he liked how very small and narrow it felt from the driver's seat, that its engine was not very responsive or zoomy, but that it was certainly adequate, that it was more than comfortable enough front and back, that its performance off road is indeed quite amazing, that he was absolutely in love with how brilliant the view out the vehicle was compared to the other trucks he'd driven.

He said that he's about 60% decided that just a pajero would serve perfectly as his full time vehicle, and if his concerns about the reliability and maintenance cost of the S Class can't be addressed, and a good montero can't be found in the next 2 weeks, he'll be happy to buy a pajero and drive it as his primary vehicle for both daily driving and expedition purposes.

Hopefully we'll be able to get a drive in that S350 tomorrow. i don't know what we'll do about the Montero. I haven't seen any new ones come up for sale for weeks. If a superb condition montero doesn't come up in the next two weeks, its going to be Pajero or S Class.

things are still open.

Last edited by Harbir : 24th August 2011 at 23:45.
Old 25th September 2011, 12:18   #219
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SS-Traveller View Post
This discussion might make for some interesting reading: Pajero Vs. Fortuner - Thailand Forum. The situation in India is not much different.
In the above link they are comparing the Pajero Sport vs the Fortuner.

From what I have learnt, the Pajero that is sold in India, is an extremely rugged and reliable machine, as good as Fortuner on that front.

And I only speak for the state of Punjab & Chandigarh -where there is a decent Pajero poulation - when I say (so a very local view), that Mitsubishi/HM dealers enjoy good reputation.

Last edited by rrsteer : 25th September 2011 at 12:20.
Old 25th September 2011, 15:45   #220
Senior - BHPian

Hi Harbir,

Did you finally decided on your purchase . We are very eager to know what did you ultimately bought after so much of efforts .
Old 25th September 2011, 16:52   #221
Senior - BHPian

After a long time, this thread is coming to life. I am curious just to know what won the battle for Harbir.

Look forward to updates on this !!

cheers
Old 29th September 2011, 22:09   #222
Senior - BHPian

Hi Harbir,

What's up ? Did you find a suitable vehicle ?? YET

Cheers
Old 29th September 2011, 22:19   #223
Senior - BHPian

He has bought one for his wife

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/test-d...ml#post2515513 (My better half's Hyundai i10 Asta Automatic: My first impressions)
Old 29th September 2011, 22:30   #224
Senior - BHPian

Sirji,

We meant SUV and not a piddly hatchback

Cheers
Old 30th September 2011, 09:56   #225
Senior - BHPian

BTW was asking about his SUV hunt ! I guess Harbir dropped that for now

Cheers
Closed Thread