Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > 4x4 & Off-Roading > 4x4 Vehicles


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 18th October 2012, 22:17   #166
MAS
Senior - BHPian
 
MAS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Chennai
Posts: 1,816
Thanked: 1,190 Times
Default Re: Modifying my Endeavour 3.0 4x4 AT for Off Roading!

Thanks a million for the wonderful pictures and videos. Your Endeavour is everybody's envy..

I also liked the Video of the white Endeavour crossing the river. If the car was any slower, I'm sure it would have to be towed.

One question... The body panel below the front door handles look cleaner than the rest of the body. Was it cleaned for ingress?

OT: As i own a white Endeavour, it would be of great help if you could post more pictures of the white Endy..

Last edited by MAS : 18th October 2012 at 22:23.
MAS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th October 2012, 23:37   #167
Team-BHP Support
 
Samurai's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: B'lore-Manipal
Posts: 22,043
Thanked: 13,493 Times
Default Re: Modifying my Endeavour 3.0 4x4 AT for Off Roading!

Nice, looks like you guys went to Choma Kunda too?

Unlike your Palar, our OTR trail rivers have water.

That winch is crazy, does it make sugarcane juice too? Looks like it is made from the parts of sugarcane juice maker.
Samurai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th October 2012, 08:45   #168
BHPian
 
Endeavour333's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Chennai
Posts: 364
Thanked: 358 Times
Default Re: Modifying my Endeavour 3.0 4x4 AT for Off Roading!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAS View Post
Thanks a million for the wonderful pictures and videos. Your Endeavour is everybody's envy..

I also liked the Video of the white Endeavour crossing the river. If the car was any slower, I'm sure it would have to be towed.

One question... The body panel below the front door handles look cleaner than the rest of the body. Was it cleaned for ingress?

OT: As i own a white Endeavour, it would be of great help if you could post more pictures of the white Endy..
Glad you liked the photos! Yes the body panel below the door handle is cleaner because I poured water over the handle to clean it after the slush pit.
The white Endy is owned by Godfather on TBHP. I do have a few more pics, will attach them soon. The problem is that they are too big for to upload (bigger than 1mb) directly so I have to resize them before upload - Slightly a pain.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
Nice, looks like you guys went to Choma Kunda too?

Unlike your Palar, our OTR trail rivers have water.

That winch is crazy, does it make sugarcane juice too? Looks like it is made from the parts of sugarcane juice maker.
Hi Samurai, not sure where Choma Kunda is but the first day we went to a trail near Jungle Mount 4x4 and the second day just 2 vehicles (The Scorpio Getaway and Mine) tried to get to the top of a mountain near the place we were staying. The owner of Kabbe Holidays, Mr. Dilip, took us on a trail warning us that it was very difficult but we decided to go anyway. We got into a mess halfway up the trail and were very lucky to be able to extricate ourselves. That was a crazy and scary adventure in itself. So we decided that we'd had enough and retreated back to camp. You can see some pics where the tow rope was brought out and trust me, it was far worse of a situation for BOTH vehicles than it looks like. The getaway was not moving forwards and was in danger of slipping off the side of the hill if it backed up and I was earlier in danger of my left side slipping into a huuge rut that could topple my Endy. You can see the rocks that we used to fill up the rut in case my wheels did slip in. They would at least have raised the rut enough to prevent the toppling. like I said, scary

That winch was indeed crazy! First time I was seeing something like that so I thought I should take a video. Great idea to have a dedicated recovery vehicle like that. I think Arka would be interested in the design for future TPCs. Not sure if it was made from a sugar cane juice making machine but it certainly looks similar. Will have to enquire about this to the organizers of the event.

Last edited by Endeavour333 : 19th October 2012 at 08:56.
Endeavour333 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 19th October 2012, 10:54   #169
BHPian
 
Twinn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: MD-USaapA
Posts: 337
Thanked: 275 Times
Default Re: Modifying my Endeavour 3.0 4x4 AT for Off Roading!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
Nice, looks like you guys went to Choma Kunda too?

Unlike your Palar, our OTR trail rivers have water.

That winch is crazy, does it make sugarcane juice too? Looks like it is made from the parts of sugarcane juice maker.
Yes Samurai - That is the Choma Kundh.

Vish - I have videos of we making it through the rutt.. It really is a scary place, but did you guys at-least walk up the hilltop? Don't tell me you guys didn't. Its an amazing place.

BTW Choma Kundh is the name of the place. (Kundh mean Hill in kodava language)
Twinn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th October 2012, 12:47   #170
BHPian
 
commander's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Salem
Posts: 142
Thanked: 122 Times
Default Re: Modifying my Endeavour 3.0 4x4 AT for Off Roading!

@ endeavor333 thats a really mean machine you got out there. You should be a really proud owner. Hats off to you for your dedication and effort put into it.
commander is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 19th October 2012, 14:16   #171
Senior - BHPian
 
svsantosh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Hosur
Posts: 3,308
Thanked: 1,252 Times
Default Re: Modifying my Endeavour 3.0 4x4 AT for Off Roading!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
That winch is crazy, does it make sugarcane juice too? Looks like it is made from the parts of sugarcane juice maker.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Endeavour333 View Post
That winch was indeed crazy! First time I was seeing something like that so I thought I should take a video. Great idea to have a dedicated recovery vehicle like that. I think Arka would be interested in the design for future TPCs. Not sure if it was made from a sugar cane juice making machine but it certainly looks similar. Will have to enquire about this to the organizers of the event.


Surprised you guys havent seen this before? This is the future deal-breaker for jeep-scrap-scavengers like me!

The Jeep-BOREWELL Repair RIG

Scarcity of water leading to numerous tube wells across the country. To dig one, the mega borewell lorry does the job, but the frequent repairs to the submersible motor, removal and refitting of pipes, etc etc is handled by this rig. They just winch out all the parts inside the tube in a jiffy, install the new motor/parts and out in a few hours. Cool 3-5K a job, and they can handle upto 3 jobs a day!!

Why this gyan ^

Because of this new-found industry, many many old rusty jeeps, armadas, marshals, commanders, anything with a Mahindra name on it and below 1.5Lacs for base vehicle is in HUGE DEMAND nowadays and 'sadly' these rigs work off the TCASE - slot the TC into neutral and let the engine RPM run the 2-Inch link-chain (via a 3rd dana-44 diff not seen in vid) which in turns runs the whole freak show!

'sadly' ^ bcoz - spare prices in gujri (Local scrap market) has increased multi-fold and they say a bread-winner jeep owner is ready to pay any price Vs a weekend enthusiast! You name it, engine head, gearbox, diff, tcase, etc etc - all thru the roof.

PS - if you move this to a new thread, I will get more pics of these rigs around my town. At least 50 of them run around! Few have a well fabricated hardtop for the front cabin (armada converted to a rig)!
svsantosh is offline   (4) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 22nd October 2012, 21:49   #172
BHPian
 
commander's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Salem
Posts: 142
Thanked: 122 Times
Default Re: Modifying my Endeavour 3.0 4x4 AT for Off Roading!

At vishnu, if you dont mind may i suggest you to put on a couple of Hella 1000 black magic lights for your ride. I'm pretty sure that will a proper 'wicked' add on.
commander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd October 2012, 07:47   #173
BHPian
 
Endeavour333's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Chennai
Posts: 364
Thanked: 358 Times
Default Re: Modifying my Endeavour 3.0 4x4 AT for Off Roading!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twinn View Post
Yes Samurai - That is the Choma Kundh.

Vish - I have videos of we making it through the rutt.. It really is a scary place, but did you guys at-least walk up the hilltop? Don't tell me you guys didn't. Its an amazing place.

BTW Choma Kundh is the name of the place. (Kundh mean Hill in kodava language)
Post the video of you making it through the rut! I dont think LWB vehicles like the Endeavour or the Scorpio getaway can make it past the rut without the rear wheel slipping in. Maybe at an angle but it would still be really risky.

And no we didn't walk up to the top because we were already tired after having carried rocks from all over the place to place in the rut. Moreover, it was getting late and we had to head back to Bangalore.

Quote:
Originally Posted by commander View Post
At vishnu, if you dont mind may i suggest you to put on a couple of Hella 1000 black magic lights for your ride. I'm pretty sure that will a proper 'wicked' add on.
A set of lights is DEFINITELY on my list. I do a lot of highway driving and the stock lights are just not sufficient at all. I want to get some lights that I can adjust for Spot and Spread. Sandeep (Frankenstein on TBHP) showed me his Lightforce lights that could be adjusted from spot to spread by just twisting them. I really liked the possibility of that adjustment. Will look up the hella 1000 black magic as well.
Endeavour333 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd October 2012, 08:25   #174
Team-BHP Support
 
Samurai's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: B'lore-Manipal
Posts: 22,043
Thanked: 13,493 Times
Default Re: Modifying my Endeavour 3.0 4x4 AT for Off Roading!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Endeavour333 View Post
And no we didn't walk up to the top because we were already tired after having carried rocks from all over the place to place in the rut. Moreover, it was getting late and we had to head back to Bangalore.
This is what you would have seen, had you walked up.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/4x4-ex...nda-coorg.html (Offroading into the Clouds at Choma Kunda-Coorg)
Samurai is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 25th October 2012, 11:07   #175
Senior - BHPian
 
Godfather's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Bangalore / Atlanta
Posts: 1,387
Thanked: 65 Times
Default Re: Modifying my Endeavour 3.0 4x4 AT for Off Roading!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAS View Post

OT: As i own a white Endeavour, it would be of great help if you could post more pictures of the white Endy..
Like Vishnu mentioned, the White Endeavour is mine,

will post some pictures soon, currently whats On the vehicle is as follows

1. Ironman4x4 - 2 inchlift kit
2. 275x70 R16 Maxxis Bighorn MT's. (also a spare set of 265/70 R16 Geolandar A/T for city drives)
3. Ironman4x4 Winch Mount.
4. Rugged Ridge 8500 Pound synthetic rope winch
5. Custom Winch Cover made by BoltON Concepts.
6. 20,000 Pound tow kit from Rugged ridge.
7. Snorkel from Ironman4x4

I dont think I will hijack vishnu's thread here, will start a new thread.
Godfather is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 25th October 2012, 11:26   #176
BHPian
 
Twinn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: MD-USaapA
Posts: 337
Thanked: 275 Times
Default Re: Modifying my Endeavour 3.0 4x4 AT for Off Roading!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Endeavour333 View Post
I dont think LWB vehicles like the Endeavour or the Scorpio getaway can make it past the rut without the rear wheel slipping in. Maybe at an angle but it would still be really risky.
Vish - Would you consider Mahindra Marshal LWB

Modifying my Endeavour 3.0 4x4 AT for Off Roading!-img_0590.jpg

Modifying my Endeavour 3.0 4x4 AT for Off Roading!-img_0614.jpg

Modifying my Endeavour 3.0 4x4 AT for Off Roading!-img_0632.jpg

Modifying my Endeavour 3.0 4x4 AT for Off Roading!-img_0629.jpg

Modifying my Endeavour 3.0 4x4 AT for Off Roading!-img_0567.jpg


Quote:
1. Ironman4x4 - 2 inchlift kit
2. 275x70 R16 Maxxis Bighorn MT's. (also a spare set of 265/70 R16 Geolandar A/T for city drives)
3. Ironman4x4 Winch Mount.
4. Rugged Ridge 8500 Pound synthetic rope winch
5. Custom Winch Cover made by BoltON Concepts.
6. 20,000 Pound tow kit from Rugged ridge.
7. Snorkel from Ironman4x4
Rugged Ridge 8500 Pound synthetic rope winch?? When was this added??
and whats 20,000 Pound tow kit??

Sumit - Your machine really deserves a new thread, so start up one and Name it white elephant..

Last edited by Twinn : 25th October 2012 at 11:43.
Twinn is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 25th October 2012, 11:54   #177
Senior - BHPian
 
Godfather's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Bangalore / Atlanta
Posts: 1,387
Thanked: 65 Times
Default Re: Modifying my Endeavour 3.0 4x4 AT for Off Roading!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twinn View Post

Rugged Ridge 8500 Pound synthetic rope winch?? When was this added??
and whats 20,000 Pound tow kit??

Sumit - Your machine really deserves a new thread, so start up one and Name it white elephant..
It was there at the event, the winch was mounted.

the 20,000 pound tow kit consists of 2 tow ropes (rated 20,000 pounds) D shackels, gloves etc from rugged ridge which I keep in my vehicle just in case it gets stuck somewhere while offroad.

we did not take my endeavour up that slope (pics above) because I was less on fuel, but after the other vehicles got stuck we were planning to head back and get my endeavour to tow these two vehicles back.

I already started a new thread on my Endeavour. unfortunately i did not name it "White Elephant"
Godfather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th October 2012, 12:15   #178
BHPian
 
Endeavour333's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Chennai
Posts: 364
Thanked: 358 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twinn
Vish - Would you consider Mahindra Marshal LWB
..
Good stuff! I think the ruts might have been deeper this time due to the rains. Also we took a completely different line to cross that rut (extreme right side). Could have tried yours but at the time the ruts were so deep that it did not even strike us as a possibility. We were trying to avoid the ruts completely.

Last edited by Endeavour333 : 25th October 2012 at 12:16.
Endeavour333 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th October 2012, 12:21   #179
Senior - BHPian
 
Godfather's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Bangalore / Atlanta
Posts: 1,387
Thanked: 65 Times
Default Re: Modifying my Endeavour 3.0 4x4 AT for Off Roading!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Endeavour333 View Post
Also we took a completely different line to cross that rut (extreme right side). Could have tried yours but at the time the ruts were so deep that it did not even strike us as a possibility. We were trying to avoid the ruts completely.

on our SUV's it would not have been possible to take on those ruts head on, the route you took was good and we could have made it to the top if it was not for the getaway that got stuck.

the getaway should have taken the route that you took.. anyway we are glad that we were able to get both the vehicles out without any damage.
Godfather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th October 2012, 16:19   #180
Senior - BHPian
 
lurker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Tura
Posts: 1,290
Thanked: 577 Times
Default Re: Modifying my Endeavour 3.0 4x4 AT for Off Roading!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Endeavour333 View Post

Usually do not post on the 4X4 forums, but gotta admit this one time. Just love this pic. Full of contrasts, sand, arid, water and an animal (beast is overused on this forum, so kindly excuse) raring to have go.
lurker is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Places to buy stuff for Off-Roading/4x4 in India khan_sultan 4x4 Technical 150 30th May 2017 22:22
Off-roading with the Isuzu D-Max V-Cross 4x4 BlackPearl 4x4 Excursions 109 14th September 2016 12:27
Good 4x4 Off Roading Trails - South India Rangerover 4x4 Excursions 2 23rd March 2009 09:23
Off-roading in my Classic 4x4 GTO 4x4 Excursions 14 1st November 2008 17:01


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 03:11.

Copyright 2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks