Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > 4x4 & Off-Roading > 4x4 Vehicles

Old 3rd August 2011, 06:19   #16
BHPian

Default Re: Mahindra Thar - Bringing it home - Finally!

Post deleted by the Team-BHP Support : Please do NOT post one-liners that add little or no informational value to the thread. We need your co-operation to maintain the overall quality of this forum.

Please read our rules before proceeding any further.

Last edited by GTO : 3rd August 2011 at 16:13.
slalom is offline   Reply With Quote Received Infraction
Old 3rd August 2011, 16:54   #17
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nnn View Post
And the door handles will break, spare ones will not be available
Well, I am not sure , if it is my imagination but I do find some improvements in the interiors from what I had seen back in Jan. The Air vents have definitely improved - I distinctly remember seeing much worse in Jan. Now I should say they are functional. Door handles and window handles - I think, whenever I have the time - I'll get some better ones from the after market.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nnn View Post
Sorted my back out with the constant jumps and bumps.
Congrats and enjoy the Thar.
nnn
I quite like the ride on the driver's seat - that's the only place I have sat until now . I would say the ride is at par with the scorpio. Only when you take it hard through the ditch - seems like the doors bang against the body to produce a sharp sound and the fact that the origin of the sound is so close to your ear - it seems amplified.

Ride quality wise - I think it has got lesser body roll than a scorpio and the front seats are comfortable. I've got the Tyre pressure at 30 psi in the front and 32 at the rear.

And the ride gets better if you can get some 3-4 people to sit at the rear.
carrot_eater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd August 2011, 22:39   #18
nnn
BHPian

Carrot_eater,

Don't get me wrong when I wrote about the small problems.

I love the Thar with it pulling power, city drivability, highway overtaking ease and its small turning circle. I find it stable and controlable at 100Kmph with no body roll as you say. The brakes are also reasonably good.

All I was saying is that one has to ignore the niggles without complaining and just enjoy the vehicle as it is. The small irritations will be there on a small volume production car like this.

Regards

nnn
nnn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd August 2011, 23:05   #19
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by carrot_eater View Post

I quite like the ride on the driver's seat - that's the only place I have sat until now .
Well, IMHO I badly want to change the front seats. I did not complain for the first month, but after driving Thar for long hours, I start feeling the seat support or the lack of it. My wife after also complains about the passenger seat, but she compares it with how comfortable Honda's seats are in the Civic

A friend of mine who owns Thar also echos the same. Both of us are desperately looking out options to replace our seats or at least have some good seat repairer to mend and provide additional support to the existing seats.

Any suggestions on OE seats that are value for money and provide good back, under thigh and good side bolsters is appreciated. I liked the Xylo seats but I was quoted 35k for new OE seats. I was looking at the whereabouts of 15k.

So experience it on long drives and let us know how you feel. May be Mahindra fixed something there as well. My Thar is Jan/Feb batch. Early adopter pains.

Cheers
BlackRaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th August 2011, 14:50   #20
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Invader View Post
Congrats Dude!! I am still waiting for M&M to announce thier AC version and I will book immediately...i wish they also add few more colors..i would love my Thar to be Jawa Brown...or a Sandstorm color (the upcoming Royal Enfield color)
yeah I think the wait will be worth while and while you wait buy Gold as my mother said - its shooting up like crazy

Quote:
you have captured most of the family reactions very well; i go through similar reactions back home.
The reactions are all true. I mean seriously the Thar was not competing with VW Vento or Verna Fludic or Ford Feista or any other car. It was competing with Gold and European holidays. I guess the marketing guys at Mahindra need to be aware of this. Whoever said there is no competing product for Thar - There's Gold man!! Beat That.

Quote:
if you travel to US, buy a fabric called CarbonX (its a pyroblanket fabric); use it as an inner liner for the softtop. this will help you insulate solar heat and can contain your cabin temperature for a longer time
And I did check this CarbonX on amazon - I prefer buying it online - no taxes - all I could find is gloves made of that material. Any where I can get it fabric form - online.

Cheers
Carrot
Old 4th August 2011, 23:15   #21
BHPian

Been using the Thar for a few days now - meanwhile the Scorpio needed a good wash-haven't been using if for few days now. That's what it gets and of course, comparisons with Thar. You see, I loved the Black Thar that I first saw -but keeping it clean - well Rocky Beige is easier..
Mahindra Thar - Bringing it home - Finally!-img_2206.jpg

Meanwhile I notice that back in 2005 when the Scorpio was bought - it came with better accessories. e.g. This plate near the running board. This reduces the amount of paint that would come off otherwise by stepping on this.
Mahindra Thar - Bringing it home - Finally!-img_2210.jpg

The same thing might be needed for the Thar. While getting in and getting out - most people will step on this (not sure what's it called) and the paint comes off.
Mahindra Thar - Bringing it home - Finally!-img_2213.jpg

We got the alloys on the Scorp. I quite like the design - but these are not available now also they came in 15" size. Its the second set of tyres for it.
Mahindra Thar - Bringing it home - Finally!-img_2211.jpg

On the Thar - I moved the carpet under the driver's seat and found it wet - the culprit - some drain holes are left unplugged. Fixed these with a double side tape.
Mahindra Thar - Bringing it home - Finally!-img_2214.jpg

And the carpet cannot be removed completely because it is bolted to the driver's seat. Will have to cut out the mat to be able to remove and put it back.
Mahindra Thar - Bringing it home - Finally!-img_2215.jpg

Meanwhile the scorpio is clean - goes to its home all shining. Its got the Longhorns logo as well
Mahindra Thar - Bringing it home - Finally!-img_2218.jpg

Covered and kept until next time
Mahindra Thar - Bringing it home - Finally!-img_2220.jpg

Back to the Thar - A small double tape the avoid the paint getting chipped off by the hinges.
Mahindra Thar - Bringing it home - Finally!-img_2221.jpg

Wife was wondering -what was I doing with the camera and all while cleaning the cars - I told her I am getting to know them - she was like - you never spend so much time with me when we got married ...
carrot_eater is offline   (3) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 4th August 2011, 23:26   #22
Senior - BHPian

Carroteater, Congratulations on your new ride- The THAR! Happy motoring and I like the colour as well.
getsurya is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 6th August 2011, 17:00   #23
BHPian

Congrats on the JEEP Carroteater!! It surely is a Jeep thing!! When I had told my wife about rebuilding a Jeep, she had said "but you would look like a taxi driver?!"
Can you post a pic and link for the bag you have bought? I too travel with my DSLR in my Jeep and want something safe.
Although you have a closed parking, when you park in unsafe places put the 4wd lever in neutral. Even if somebody ends up starting your vehicle, it will be impossible to move it (unless the thief is 4wd savvy)
madhkris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th August 2011, 08:36   #24
BHPian

Thank you getsurya. The Thar is indeed fun to drive around.

Quote:
Originally Posted by madhkris View Post
Congrats on the JEEP Carroteater!!
Can you post a pic and link for the bag you have bought? I too travel with my DSLR in my Jeep and want something safe.
Thank you madhrkis. And the bag, well, I have bought one in the past in olive color and this time it is black. It is called eastpak delegate. Though it says, Eastpak USA, surprisingly you don't get them in US. You get them in Europe though. I don't like the one with the laptop compartment as I can always put a laptop in a laptop sleeve and use any bag to carry it.

It makes a lot of sense to have a similar bag in a Jeep - your sunglasses, camera, keys, other stuff all goes in there and you can take it with you when you leave the Jeep, I prefer shoulder bag to backpacks. I don't think this is designed for a DSLR though.

Here is the bag - check out its review in youtube.
Mahindra Thar - Bringing it home - Finally!-img_2228.jpg

And this is how I use it - just across my left hand for pulling out and keeping back stuff.
Mahindra Thar - Bringing it home - Finally!-img_2229.jpg

Quote:
Although you have a closed parking, when you park in unsafe places put the 4wd lever in neutral. Even if somebody ends up starting your vehicle, it will be impossibe to move it (unless the thief is 4wd savvy)
Yes, I do that - leave the 4wd lever in neutral. Thanks for that - I've read that before on Tbhp.

Meanwhile the neibhourhood kids wanted joyride. They are all excited in the Thar.
Mahindra Thar - Bringing it home - Finally!-img_2224.jpg

Took them for spin - engaging the 4WDH on the soft mud for a real spin!
Mahindra Thar - Bringing it home - Finally!-img_2227.jpg
Attached Thumbnails
Mahindra Thar - Bringing it home - Finally!-img_2223.jpg  

carrot_eater is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 7th August 2011, 08:42   #25
BHPian

Thanks for the info. I will see the video link. Lovely photos. I am too the 'Jeep uncle' in my colony BTW, looks like you have a couple of 'friendly neighborhood spidermen' on your side now
madhkris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th August 2011, 12:01   #26
BHPian

I think the hyper link does not work . Here it is again - link
Old 7th August 2011, 13:06   #27
BHPian

Hey mate!

Simply awesome colour and superb write -up!

Must say! I am in the same state of reactions from my family on 'If I were to buy the Thar'

I like your choice of not getting the headlamp grille.

Please continue to write and add more pictures!

Can I ask for some explanation on choice of the tbhp handle 'carrot eater'. Would that make u 'Bugs Bunny' lol

Also I like your i10's number - KA04 MG KAKA!
laxmanrk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th August 2011, 15:08   #28
BHPian

Yesterday - I, experienced heavy rain while coming back from work - it was literally pouring - when I got in to the parking lot - I was wondering how the soft top would behave in heavy rain. Light drizzle it was always fine. And more importantly I was more worried about cabin fogging without the AC.

Well - it felt like the soft top made a little more noise with the rain drops hitting it hard but there was no leakage - none at all. Also surprisingly the cabin did not fog - I mean I had kept few paper napkins to wipe the windshield in case it fogs up - but it did not .

Why?- I think it would have definitely fogged up with more than one person in the Jeep. With me alone - it did not - looks like not much temperature difference was being created with only one person in the cabin.

Reminded me of a day when I had met up with a coffee planter in Coorg and was checking out his Major - I had asked him how did he manage in the rains - which Coorg by the way gets in abundance and he had mentioned that the Jeep did not fog up with one person alone - with more he simply used a cloth to wipe the windshield.

Looks like it is the same case with the Thar - however AC is what I miss the most.

Its been one week with over 500 Kms on the odo and I think - with AC - Thar CRDE can definitely become a daily drive for anyone - at least for me.

Oh! by the way with the first tank full - I got a mileage of 12.12 kmp/L - 100% in the city driving - traffic jams and all. Or those who measure Litres/100 km - it took 8.25L for 100 km - which is definitely better than the Scorpio - which gives me about 9 km/L or 11.11 L/100 Kms or but then with 100% AC.

Thar with AC should return similar numbers as Scorpio, or so, I would think

Looking forward for the long weekend coming up.

Last edited by carrot_eater : 10th August 2011 at 15:09. Reason: typo
Old 11th August 2011, 19:18   #29
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by carrot_eater View Post
Yesterday - I, experienced heavy rain while coming back from work - it was literally pouring - when I got in to the parking lot - I was wondering how the soft top would behave in heavy rain. Light drizzle it was always fine. And more importantly I was more worried about cabin fogging without the AC.

Well - it felt like the soft top made a little more noise with the rain drops hitting it hard but there was no leakage - none at all.

I think - with AC - Thar CRDE can definitely become a daily drive for anyone - at least for me. Looking forward for the long weekend coming up.
Dear Ranjit (please correct me if I am wrong) - on canopy - finally, as an actual money paying "customer" of Thar CRDe, you have proved that Thar CRDe canopy does not leak. Thank you. I hope this message drives home loud and clear now. Just for information, the canopy vendor is in Pune, I knew exactly what I wanted, I sat with him, drew up the product specifications and instructed him in full detail what to do to prevent water coming in the vehicle. I once again state that by design, the canopy is equipped to handle the temperature difference in and out of the vehicle when you will have the AC in it. On daily drive - yes, I had always stated that Thar CRDe was a daily drive vehicle and now you have endorsed my comments in totality, so I am happy. Thank you very much.

Some suggestions - seats - the front seats are derived out of the Bolero VLX. Please don't play around with them. Aftermarket aggregates will never give you what OE can give you. tires / alloys / brakes - please retain the OE tires, they are suspension tuned for Thar CRDe. You can fit OE Scorpio alloys because offset should not change. Offset is +55 mm, both for Scorpio / Thar CRDe. Aftermarket stuff will not match this specification. Be very careful. There are lots of tires floating in the market out there, please be careful of "LT" tires, LT stands for "light truck" and they will never give you the performance that a fast nimble vehicle like the Thar CRDe demands. Please call me / PM me, I'll guide you in totality. Engineering capability of brake upgradation is one of the reasons why Thar CRDe comes with 235/70R16 tires. Remember, the Thar CRDe is essentially the Scorpio / Bolero VLX in disguise, but you must know exactly what to do otherwise you will be in deep trouble. Got it? Good!

Please see my comments on DKG's Thar ownership thread and carry out the things I have mentioned there, your vehicle will become unique. If you want to get still better performance (power / driveability / snap shot acceleration which will leave everything else in the dust), then I'll tell you what to do to make your vehicle a "super Thar CRDe". I "had" one, you recall something looking very dilapidated, known as MH01V521? . HaHaHa!

To tell you frankly, even in "production" guise as it is now, you will find the Thar CRDe more fun to drive than many of the "new kids (cars) on the block (sale)" these days. Don't take my word for it, try it and see for yourself. Don't ask me how I know, well, I just "happen to know"! . Keep guessing! . I look forward to your comments and best of luck.

Best regards,

Behram Dhabhar
DHABHAR.BEHRAM is offline   (3) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 11th August 2011, 19:35   #30
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
when you park in unsafe places put the 4wd lever in neutral
I did not teach you that, I hope!! The most unsafe way to park a 1.5Ton vehicle with NO hand brakes!! Even in panic situations, engaging any gear wont stop you from rolling!! Please think of some other ways to secure a vehicle...
svsantosh is offline   Reply With Quote