Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > 4x4 & Off-Roading > 4x4 Vehicles

Old 13th December 2011, 19:34   #61
BHPian

Default Re: Mahindra Thar - Bringing it home - Finally!

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazyjeeperk View Post
Dear Carrot_Eater
Congrats on becoming a Proud Owner of The Thar !
Can you please post the price of the steering lock.
Thank you Crazyjeeper - its a club basic steering lock - its about $29 on Amazon. As I've mentioned earlier, the break lock similarly priced, in my opinion is a better option - its easier to use.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Durango Dude View Post
To give you an example you should like Jean Claude Van Damme and Steven Seagal rolled in one. Better work at it before you do any modifications to the Thar modify yourself to suit the role of a Thar owner. This is one ride that makes the testosterone rather than the adrenaline flow.
Well Durango - . Test drive it once, if you haven't yet. I am sure you'd change your opinion - but you got me laughing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitin_80 View Post
@carrot_eater - Could you please share the inputs you have gathered on the things to get fixed for the first service, mine is due so I could keep that in mind.
Well its about the exhaust fumes mainly ECU mapping and Cat con issues and some door settings to get rid of some noise.

Quote:
Originally Posted by optimist View Post
Congratulations though a bit late. Just found this thread. Enjoy many miles on it.
Your buying process was every bit what I went through except that I was not successful. I already had an i10, a pulsar and a kinetic. I just wanted a ride for myself and the Thar was a "BIG MAGNET". Wife and daughters never accepted my idea. I lost 1:3 and bought an Optra Magnum but only for the time being. I will never give up hope and one day I will buy a jeep, if required silently.
Keep it at it! by the way - if you get front facing seats and AC - you could have your family travel pretty comfortably in the Thar - maybe not as comfortable as in an Optra - but comfortable enough.

Quote:
Originally Posted by optimist View Post
Is it just possibe to get a clamp like what the bangalore traffic police uses to lock the wheels? Only that do not forget to remove it before driving off. And if you are in violation, a cop might see that you are already caught and move on.
Sure they are available very easily - but then I've realized that - the best locks are portable and easy to put and remove. You wouldn't want to get out of the vehicle every time and put on that wheel lock and its very bulky. I find the break lock the best - you can put it on in a second and take it off fast enough as well. Anyway the new Thars may have the immobilizer and that should make it safe enough.

Last edited by carrot_eater : 13th December 2011 at 19:39. Reason: -
carrot_eater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th December 2011, 10:29   #62
BHPian

Default Mesh Grills Re: Mahindra Thar - Bringing it home - Finally!

Quote:
Originally Posted by carrot_eater View Post
The dealership gave the mats and the insect mesh free. Need to get the insect mesh fixed - hopefully with the number plate. Did not want any holes to be drilled so skipped the headlight grill.
Attachment 587171
Hi,

Nice looking Thar!

Which dealership in Bangalore has those grills in stock? I want to buy an insect mesh grill and headlamp+tail lamp grills for my Thar.

Is it India Garage?

Thanks in Advance
aa_asif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th December 2011, 08:29   #63
BHPian

Default Re: Mesh Grills Re: Mahindra Thar - Bringing it home - Finally!

Quote:
Originally Posted by aa_asif View Post
Hi,

Nice looking Thar!

Which dealership in Bangalore has those grills in stock? I want to buy an insect mesh grill and headlamp+tail lamp grills for my Thar.

Is it India Garage?

Thanks in Advance
Thank you Asif - The grill and mesh should be available at all dealers - I got mine from India Garage - only the mesh - I did not take the grills as they require holes to be drilled.
carrot_eater is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 31st December 2011, 10:08   #64
BHPian

Got the Headlamps/Tail lamp grills and Insect mesh grill from India garage. Fitted them at home.. here's the final outcome:
Attached Thumbnails
Mahindra Thar - Bringing it home - Finally!-dsc_3751.jpg  

Attached Images

aa_asif is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 10th January 2012, 22:22   #65
BHPian

Hi Carrot Eater,

Any advice on how to keep the soft top clean? I've noticed a lot of dust over the rear flap area and the sides in general. Will a regular cloth do the job or do you use any special type of brush?
Lakshman1645 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th February 2012, 11:14   #66
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lakshman1645 View Post
Hi Carrot Eater,

Any advice on how to keep the soft top clean? I've noticed a lot of dust over the rear flap area and the sides in general. Will a regular cloth do the job or do you use any special type of brush?
Congrats,
Owning a Jeep with a soft top requires maintenance unlike other vehicles. You must keep the soft top clean to protect it and prevent deterioration of the fabric. Unlike the rest of the vehicle's body, the soft top is more vulnerable to everyday wear and tear. By conducting regular inspections and keeping it clean, you can prolong the life of the soft top and prevent minor damage from becoming a major issue, saving you time and money in.

1. I would suggest you try a vacuum cleaner periodically.

2. Wash off the soft top and windows with a garden hose to remove any excess dirt. Clean the zipper and windows thoroughly by scrubbing with a soft bristle brush to get rid of stubborn grime and dirt. Rinse again to remove residual dirt.

3. Apply the shampoo cleaner to the soft top and windows by rubbing in a circular motion with the terrycloth rags. Leave the shampoo on for 20 minutes. Scrub the soft top and zipper again with the soft bristle brush.

4. Apply vinyl window cleaner to the inside and outside of the windows with a rag and wipe off with the dry cloth.

5. Apply wax lubricant to the zipper.

DONT's:

1. Never use household cleaners like bleach on your soft top.

2. Do not use window cleaner on the vinyl windows-it may turn them yellow.

3. Avoid automatic car washes as the brushes are full of dirt and can harm
your soft top and vinyl windows.

4. Do not use a shampoo or cleaner with oils, as these will attract dust and
dirt particles.

Good Luck !!
davidashish is offline   (4) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 12th February 2012, 11:42   #67
BHPian

Finally, will be taking delivery of my vehicle this week . Seen the vehicle, awaiting registration - here is the first photo. Got the Umbrella-type steering lock (steering - clutch lock) for Rs.500 from GP road here. Has anyone fitted the normal security system (Autocop / Xenos / Nippon) remote lock / security system for the Thar? Any suggestions on which brand to use / any advice on the same ?

thanks
Siva

Mahindra Thar - Bringing it home - Finally!-mythar.jpg
kshivaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th February 2012, 13:08   #68
BHPian

Go with Autocop. I have installed it on my Thar, no issues to date (11 months so far)
vj_k2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th March 2012, 12:59   #69
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kshivaa View Post
Finally, will be taking delivery of my vehicle this week . Seen the vehicle, awaiting registration - here is the first photo. Got the Umbrella-type steering lock (steering - clutch lock) for Rs.500 from GP road here. Has anyone fitted the normal security system (Autocop / Xenos / Nippon) remote lock / security system for the Thar? Any suggestions on which brand to use / any advice on the same ?
Congratulations Siva - though a bit late- have been away for sometime.

By now, you would have your Thar a few 100 km on the odo. I see you are from Chennai - have you got the AC fitted ? if yes where and how much.

You should be aware that Spike (from Tbhp) is located in Chennai and can help you with any specific queries.

Cheers
Carrot
Old 15th March 2012, 22:31   #70
BHPian

Quote:
Congratulations Siva - though a bit late- have been away for sometime.

By now, you would have your Thar a few 100 km on the odo. I see you are from Chennai - have you got the AC fitted ? if yes where and how much.

You should be aware that Spike (from Tbhp) is located in Chennai and can help you with any specific queries.

Cheers
Carrot
Thanks carrot_eater. Yes, the Thar has clocked around 800 Kms on the Odo . Have started using it as my daily drive to office. Also went to mahabalipuram on two weekends, to get used to the vehicle.

Changes done after taking delivery are:
1. AC - Sanden compressor and Scorpio/Bolero accessories - cost 31K - done at A/C team services, T.Nagar.
2. Power Windows + central locking (for front doors)
3. Pioneer music system with only rear speakers (in box, below the rear seats).
20K for 2&3 together.

Pending are:
1. Hard Top - talking to Manas for that
2. Roll cage and Bull Bar in front
3. Increase braking

Will PM Spike and see if I can have a meeting with him. Planning on attending the JeepThrills 7A sessions next week, to get some learning on off-roading and vehicle technicals.

thanks
Siva
kshivaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th April 2012, 10:28   #71
BHPian

Here is some update - AC Fitment in my Thar.

Had been driving around with a sweaty back (no-AC) for almost 6 months now - partly the weather was ok in Banglore up until now and partly I was waiting for the FF AC Thar to come out and I was hoping I could get that AC fitted by procuring the parts.

Anyway FF AC Thar is available but however the parts for the AC are not yet and the Great Indian Summer is upon us.

Also one of the decision point for me was - Go the V-Cool way or the Mahindra Kit way. Since I was sleeping on this decision for a long time and had had not spent money on anything else (no tyre upgrade, no alloys - not even a music system) - I got the Mahindra kit fitted - all the while I was anyway inclined to get the Mahindra kit.Also Mr. Dhabar mentioning in all his posts that approved kit is what he recommends.

Now with that prelude, back to the AC story - The elusive MAhindra AC kit is really that - Elusive!. Folks have heard a lot about it- but only a few have seen. Part of the reason why V-kool is the way most people choose.

Anyway several phone calls and finally the India Garage guy was able to locate all the parts. I gave my Thar to IG - they have opened a new service center near ITPL - The victoria road one is now closed down - they want to build a mall there or so I am told - God knows - how many malls will come up in Bangalore. ( My Apologies to non-Bangalore residents for the local location references )

I dropped in a couple of times to see the progress - they now do not get the front panel (grill or what ever it is called) so to move the intercooler down and forward they had to cut the grill and make those brackets to fit the condenser with the dual fan setup. The AC fitment guy (he's referred to as Viji Bhai) is pretty good and I had asked him questions like how much gas will you fill up? What about clearances between radiator , condensor and intercooler and he gave answers that matched with what Spike had told me to expect.

I requested him - Bahut Mehnat ka paise de ke AC dalwa raha hoon, double of what I would have paid v-kool - aap please aacha kaam kar dena - and he was like - Fikar mat karo sir - abhi tak - 8 Thar mein fit kiya hai - Sab MAhindra ka original parts hai - it will all be fine.

At that time he had connected the AC setup to some machine and he told he was creating vacuum and checking for leaks and after that he would put the R134a gas.

Anyway couple of days later - I went to collect my vehicle back. The service manager called in a road test driver and asked me to take the vehicle for a test drive - as a passenger.

So I hopped on and the driver was amazing after the initial way out - he was driving at 120 - 130 - he found some road which goes towards Hoskote.

I had the AC in full blast and was checking for the temp gauge - and it remained where it was all the while - its the same place where it was before the AC was fitted. Also the fact that it was 2 PM in the afternoon and no sun film, I was ok - I hope that I do not face over heating issues later as well.

After about 50 kms the driver asked me - Saar, are you okay - or do you want to go further ?
I told him - little more and we drove about 65 km and I asked him to take it back.
Apparently a customer had asked him to take him to Salem and back to recreate an issue - loss in pick up. And he did it in 6 hours including lunch and had kept the engine on all the time, including during lunch - must be a T-bhpian. I asked him what car - he said - BAlero saar - I wonder they always refer it to as BAlero - instead of BOlero. Anyway I asked him Storm and he said yes - a VLX. He also mentioned about another customer who had a test drive until Mysore and if I wanted I could test it until Tirupathi and back.

I was ok and I switched off the AC and switched it on and asked him for power drop and he was there was none. On our way back we had traffic - I kept the AC on all the while and the Temp gauge did not move. So back to the service center - I paid (INR 58,700) and brought the vehicle home - AC all the while and Man! it felt good.

Next day got some sun film done, windows and also the windsheild. No, Not 3M R70 or V-kool, but some Garware stuff - was on a budget. Put some 300 KM (including the test drive) and have to check the impact on the mileage - got a full tank this morning so in week or so I will know. Also got some insulation done on the rear.

Well as all other Thar owners have mentioned - The AC does have a big big impact - or maybe we are too used to the AC to miss it badly.

Some pics.

Took off the insect mesh to show the dual fan setup
Mahindra Thar - Bringing it home - Finally!-img_2624.jpg

A new panel to put in for the AC controls - The left one is a knob like you used to get for volume and switch on and off in old radios - So it starts with a click and switches on the compressor and the remaining part of movement is for the temp control - of course the heater remains like before. I had asked them to ensure the blower runs smoothly in position 3- not sure what they have done - it seems smooth. Though the position 1 is more than sufficient for the cooling.
Mahindra Thar - Bringing it home - Finally!-img_2623.jpg

The cut on the grill and new brackets welded for the intercooler.
Mahindra Thar - Bringing it home - Finally!-img_2625.jpg

The RD bottle and wiring
Mahindra Thar - Bringing it home - Finally!-img_2626.jpg

The compressor
Mahindra Thar - Bringing it home - Finally!-img_2627.jpg

Some insulating material
Mahindra Thar - Bringing it home - Finally!-img_2630.jpg

Now finally is it worth while for the double the price for the kit vis-a vie the mix and match approach - I think the answer is "to each his own" the mix and match also works perfectly and there are numerous examples of the same on this forum and you get that in half the price and you can spend the remaining amount for alloys but for me this was the right thing to do as I am better off with Kit AC only than AC +Alloys.

However do note even this AC is not ECU controlled - which would be ideal.

Alloys - well, whenever I have budget - perhaps the next thing- but I am quite happy with the steel rims and I do not think I'll get any perceivable difference in driving with alloys. With AC of course the difference is huge.

Of course - Thank you Spike for answering all the questions and for taking the frequent phone calls.

Last edited by carrot_eater : 5th April 2012 at 10:44. Reason: -
carrot_eater is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 5th April 2012, 13:53   #72
Senior - BHPian

Post Re: Mahindra Thar - Bringing it home - Finally!

Quote:
The AC fitment guy (he's referred to as Viji Bhai) is pretty good and I had asked him questions like how much gas will you fill up? What about clearances between radiator , condensor and intercooler and he gave answers that matched with what Spike had told me to expect.
How much gas has he filled in? Did you / they check all the parameters, wiring especially ?

Quote:
I requested him - Bahut Mehnat ka paise de ke AC dalwa raha hoon, double of what I would have paid v-kool - aap please aacha kaam kar dena - and he was like - Fikar mat karo sir - abhi tak - 8 Thar mein fit kiya hai - Sab MAhindra ka original parts hai - it will all be fine.

Quote:
The cut on the grill and new brackets welded for the intercooler.
Attachment 911797
Please get the bracket painted.

Quote:
Of course - Thank you Spike for answering all the questions and for taking the frequent phone calls.
Bitte schön und Viel Glück! (Welcome and good luck).

Expect frequent calls from me soon.

Spike
SPIKE ARRESTOR is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 5th April 2012, 14:41   #73
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPIKE ARRESTOR View Post
How much gas has he filled in? Did you / they check all the parameters, wiring especially ?
He said he will fill in 530 gms + or - 20 gms.

The wiring harness was part of the kit - he had initially not got it but he got it later. All I could check was that when I switch off the fan the compressor switches off. Not sure what else can I check. He had told me that there is a separate fuse for the AC.

Quote:
Please get the bracket painted.
Good point - will get the RD bottle bracket painted immediately.

Quote:
Bitte schön und Viel Glück! (Welcome and good luck).

Expect frequent calls from me soon.
Vielen Dank! and I guess this is good news
carrot_eater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st August 2012, 19:30   #74
BHPian

Its exactly one year since I got my Thar. Its got about 10,000 on the odo. Been traveling too much to drive it around more.

The journey thus far has been great. I absolutely love the Thar as much as I did the first day. In fact it has become better - AC making the most important difference.

After getting the AC fitted - I took my family (wife and 2 kids -7 years and under 1 year) to Wayanad - and it was comfortable enough.

And it has been my primary daily drive vehicle.

With the Hard top options available may consider one - but I like the soft top.

Still thinking about getting the brakes enhanced - maybe soon.
Old 9th September 2012, 19:56   #75
BHPian

Quote:
Its exactly one year since I got my Thar. Its got about 10,000 on the odo. Been traveling too much to drive it around more...

...Still thinking about getting the brakes enhanced - maybe soon.
Hi carrot_eater! Congrats on your completing one year with your dream machine. I too have been smitten by the Thar of late. Though I have been quite sceptical as to whether the Thar can serve my daily needs as I have driven sedans all my life, it is nice to know that the you are happy with the car as your regular commute. R Beige is my personal choice too. It looks fabulous. Any particular ownership issues so far?? Planning any mods other than brake upgrades?? Do keep us posted.
carizma is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote