Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > 4x4 & Off-Roading > 4x4 Vehicles

Old 22nd August 2011, 11:25   #31
BHPian

Default Re: Mahindra Thar Crde - home at last.

Dear Nitin,
Welcome to Team-BHP and Congratulation for CRDe Thar!!

I was not knowing that pics which I took by my mobile will come on first page of your thread, otherwise I would have arranged special photo shoot for your beautiful Jeep.

I liked its colour very much !!

Cheers!!

Sanjay
4x4army is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd August 2011, 13:41   #32
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sudev View Post
Is not 10k too long a run in period before you go off road? That is like hitching a thoroughbred with tonga ;-)

Looking forward to off road experiences.
Yes @sudev, I guess you are right. Seems too long. I think 5k should be just about ok!!
nitin_80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd August 2011, 13:44   #33
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nnn View Post
Nitin,

Whom in Mahindra did you write to.

I also have small issues I need attended

Thanks in advance

nnn
I sent my complaints to one kumbhar.madhavi@mahindra.com. I am not sure if she is the contact point only for Mumbai or other cities as well. But you could try mailing her, maybe she could redirect you to someone else.
Old 22nd August 2011, 13:53   #34
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by carrot_eater View Post
Congratulations Manasm - on your Thar. Pics please.

Nitin - Congratulations.

Yes the hand brake is bit of an issue -but then when you pull it hard it works for my Thar.

Cheers
Yes @carrot_eater, my left hand biceps have indeed increased since I started using the thar. But in this case, the slope was quite steep and the brake refused to hold even after pulling with all my might. It happened again on a not so steep slope.
Old 22nd August 2011, 14:24   #35
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by manasm View Post
Nitin,

Picked up my Thar yesterday - and have the same handbrake issue - have spoken to the dealer and he has asked me to bring the Thar in today and they will fix it.

I have auto door locks and windows (AutoCop) installed in my Thar by the way.

With my one and a half days of driving it around - have already had 5 people stop me and ask me how much and what mileage!

Couple of good points with the Thar
  • so much power on tap....
  • have had to change my driving style (for the better according to my wife) - since I cant corner as fast as I am used to with the Santro and City. She is much happier and more comfortable now
  • I also don't feel the need to drive as fast - since I want people to see me....
  • My daughter loves it...she wants to sit in the back and run up and down the rear when the Thar is stopped/parked
Some bad things
  • really need the hard top and AC - after an evening drive yesterday, my 2 year old daughter has a cough with all the fumes in her face!
  • rattles everywhere....but am locating each one and tightening them myself slowly!
  • parked in front of the temple with the front left wheel on the curb and the handbrake wouldn't hold! Freaked out my wife...and I had to sit in the Thar with the brake pressed down so the pujari could do his thing!
But overall all I can say is...it really brings a smile to my face when I am driving it and even when I look at it parked!

Hey @manasm, Saw your pics, congrats on your purchase, am sure you must be enjoying every bit of the drive. Yes I 've had people asking me about mileage too.
Old 22nd August 2011, 14:28   #36
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4x4army View Post
Dear Nitin,
Welcome to Team-BHP and Congratulation for CRDe Thar!!

I was not knowing that pics which I took by my mobile will come on first page of your thread, otherwise I would have arranged special photo shoot for your beautiful Jeep.

I liked its colour very much !!

Cheers!!

Sanjay
Thanks Sanjay, yes the photos were quite neat so put them, maybe your photography skills!! We can always arrange a special photo shoot anytime, of all three jeeps together.
Old 22nd August 2011, 14:34   #37
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MileCruncher View Post
Welcome Nitin to TBHP and congrats on your acquisition. I feel the THAR is awesome vehicle and with a few tweaks, it can be made into a comfortable daily ride.

Will keep track of your thread and the changes that you do with it.

Cheers
Thanks MileCruncher, yes will post the pics of my changes as I do them.

One thing I plan on doing this weekend is rearranging the position of the billboard like rear number plate. Maybe fix it on the rear tyre, but the current position is definitely a disaster.
I might also go in for a set of AT tyres. Enquired at a dealer last week and he said I might get upto 5k in exchange for the current ones, they have done only 700 kms yet.
Old 22nd August 2011, 18:19   #38
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitin_80 View Post
Thanks MileCruncher, yes will post the pics of my changes as I do them.

One thing I plan on doing this weekend is rearranging the position of the billboard like rear number plate. Maybe fix it on the rear tyre, but the current position is definitely a disaster.
I might also go in for a set of AT tyres. Enquired at a dealer last week and he said I might get upto 5k in exchange for the current ones, they have done only 700 kms yet.
Plz take off those sad wheel caps, and the rear plasticky bumpers. Your Thar Looks so much better without the side floor boards now. Will help you get rock sliders done when your ready . ALso look out for a rear pintle hook

Last edited by davids4x4mm550 : 22nd August 2011 at 18:21.
davids4x4mm550 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th August 2011, 12:58   #39
BHPian

Changed the tyres to BFGoodrich A/T. No particular reason for choosing them over the Yokohoma Geolanders, also which I had in mind. From what I have read I guess both have their own pros and cons, just that I personally like its looks more than the Geolanders. Some pics below.
Attached Thumbnails
Mahindra Thar Crde - home at last.-photo0321.jpg  

Mahindra Thar Crde - home at last.-photo0322.jpg  

Mahindra Thar Crde - home at last.-photo0323.jpg  

Mahindra Thar Crde - home at last.-photo0324.jpg  

Mahindra Thar Crde - home at last.-photo0325.jpg  

Mahindra Thar Crde - home at last.-photo0326.jpg  

Mahindra Thar Crde - home at last.-photo0327.jpg  

Mahindra Thar Crde - home at last.-photo0328.jpg  

nitin_80 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 29th August 2011, 18:28   #40
BHPian

I got them fitted at ACME Tyre Service - 28721595/28724589/28785654, 9322644196, at S.V road - just near Goregaon station. He claims to have more of these tyres, in case anyone else is interested.
Old 29th August 2011, 19:30   #41
BHPian

Nice shoes for the Thar!! The tread pattern looks nice. Jeep is looking Wonderful. How is the handling?
madhkris is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 29th August 2011, 20:36   #42
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitin_80 View Post
I got them fitted at ACME Tyre Service - 28721595/28724589/28785654, 9322644196, at S.V road - just near Goregaon station. He claims to have more of these tyres, in case anyone else is interested.

All i can say is Boys will be Boys. Boys grow Older Their Toys get Bigger.
The Thar looks just awesome with these new shoes.
How was the overall Purchase Experience with the NBS dealership?
iron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th August 2011, 11:20   #43
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by madhkris View Post
Nice shoes for the Thar!! The tread pattern looks nice. Jeep is looking Wonderful. How is the handling?
No issues with the handling so far. Seems at least as good as the earlier HT tyres on tarmac. Though I am still maintaining speeds under 70kmph and yet to take it on long drives.

Quote:
Originally Posted by iron View Post
All i can say is Boys will be Boys. Boys grow Older Their Toys get Bigger.
The Thar looks just awesome with these new shoes.
How was the overall Purchase Experience with the NBS dealership?
The purchase experience was reasonably good, more so because I got the delivery much before the initially estimated 6 weeks waiting period. No other troubles as such, apart from the vehicle issues for which I would be taking it to their workshop.

Last edited by Jaggu : 30th August 2011 at 11:33. Reason: Back to back posts, please use Multi Quote (Quote+) instead. Thanks
Old 30th August 2011, 12:58   #44
Senior - BHPian

Nice Jeep!

How much did these tyres cost?
What's the size?

Recently I bought Yokohama Geolandar AT-S G012's for my Tucson (215/65R16) - Rs.8300 per tyre. BFG's were not available in Pune, but Geolandar's also look nice.

BTW, is BFG a Michelin brand? The tyre shops here told me this: "Oh BFG, that Michelin wala tyre! That's not available anymore."

Cheers!
anandpadhye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th August 2011, 13:55   #45
BHPian

BFG is a sub brand owned by Michelin and are OEM tyres for a lot of cars in US. When i picked mine, the dealers wanted to get rid of their stock, as the govt. had mandated all tyres sold in India should have an ISI mark, which these tyres did not have. Most Michelin tyre showrooms should have some in stock.
charan is offline   Reply With Quote