Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > 4x4 & Off-Roading > 4x4 Vehicles

Old 15th January 2012, 06:39   #181
Senior - BHPian

Default Re: Tharred and Feathered - BlackStarr arrives

Quote:
Originally Posted by manasm View Post
Have spent so much money on coolant that it is not even funny...refilling every 5 to 7 days!
You can fill clear water and run the vehicle until the problem is sorted - No need to use coolant if the radiator or radiator hoses are leaking..but it must be a small job!! IMO
headers is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 25th January 2012, 12:02   #182
BHPian

Am headed out for the Annual Bangalore Offroad tomorrow and can't wait to test the Thar.

For the trip, have removed the bumpers (front and rear) as well as the side steps. Also put on the older prototype HT since I don't want my nice one damaged.

I also have fitted the rear seats. Have a little finishing work to do on them, but am overall quite happy with the fit.

Now that I have changed my rims to alloys...I have the original set available in case anyone is interested!
manasm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th January 2012, 18:32   #183
BHPian

Could you post seat job pictures
vnambiar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd February 2012, 16:18   #184
BHPian

@Vnambiar - will post pics in a couple of days! Lots of work to make up for due to the time off for the off-road event and recuperation.

In the meantime, planning to switch the amp and sub and rear 6x9s from one of my older cars to the jeep. Any thoughts on a good place to get it done? Not buying any new components, just want the set moved. Might need to make a new box for the speaker and amp - something watertight.

Thanks,
Manas
Old 2nd February 2012, 16:56   #185
BHPian

Quote:
@Vnambiar - will post pics in a couple of days! Lots of work to make up for due to the time off for the off-road event and recuperation.

In the meantime, planning to switch the amp and sub and rear 6x9s from one of my older cars to the jeep. Any thoughts on a good place to get it done? Not buying any new components, just want the set moved. Might need to make a new box for the speaker and amp - something watertight.

Thanks,
Manas

Try out Satya at EVO. May be could be of help. He's put up in Cambridge Layout. His handle is BlueRaven or something of that sort, here.
bantejas is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 2nd February 2012, 17:29   #186
BHPian

Hi Manasm,
Am amazed at the time and patience you have put into making your Thar as special as possible.Please do post pics of the Bangalore off road event with your Thar. Thanks.
ketla2411 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 3rd February 2012, 12:37   #187
BHPian

Thanks Ketla!

I have not posted pics of the event, since I had very little time to take pics as I was driving.

The pics I managed to take are mostly of my Thar!

But have posted some of them to this thread since this is my ownership thread!
Attached Images

Old 3rd February 2012, 12:39   #188
BHPian

some more pics of my Thar....
Attached Images

Old 3rd February 2012, 12:40   #189
BHPian

and the last couple....
Attached Images

manasm is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 3rd February 2012, 23:31   #190
BHPian

Cat con does look outsized. Did armadillo and backstarr take bruises.
vnambiar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th February 2012, 10:50   #191
BHPian

Quote:
and the last couple....
Let me Appreciate the love you have for the vehicle and the desire that pushes you forward............ Awesome !!
You have done a wonderful job and considering the amount of money you have invested on the beast, Commendable !! It looks Great. Have you been able to get the rear seats fitted? Also is the interior of the thar done? Please post some pics i would love to see the crazyness the Thar evolves ;-)
davidashish is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 4th February 2012, 11:41   #192
BHPian

@Vnambiar - The cat con is definitely outsized. Apparently there is a work around for it - available in the market. Rajith has details...one of the Thars in our group had it already done and no problems. I was really worried about hitting the cat con during the OTR and beached the Thar on a rock cos of my worrying/ineptitude!

Both Armadillo and Blackstarr had bad scratches and bruises. The India Garage service center in Peenya fixed them for me. Spent about 5000, and looks better than new! I would recommend them to anyone looking to get something done on their Thar. They are nice people and willing to help out always. In fact, for the OTR, they removed the bumpers and side steps and stored if for me from Wednesday morning till the following Monday when they were put back.
The Armadillo had some beading ripped off by thorns and bushes but on the whole was ok - the matte finish paint helped a lot! We are working out a better softer beading that is less exposed to situations like that and should be done next week with installation of that on my Thar.

@Davidashish - Thank you for the kind words. I am sure everyone here who owns a Thar (or any other vehicle for the matter) is looking to do something with their vehicle. One of the reasons I bought a Thar was the fact it was kind of bare bones. I can do what I want with the interiors and exteriors and not have to worry about the engine.

The rear seats have been fitted and I am working on replacing the front seats as well as they are very uncomfortable on long journeys. Very bad lower back and thigh support! Also, need the front seats to double fold if I want to access the rear seats once the console is complete.

The interiors are done for now...which might mean just a couple of weeks. I am working on a lot more some of which are
  • roll cage with integrated seat belts for the rear
  • luggage rack with a 2 man tent and side canopy as well
  • center console
  • speaker bar which fits on the roll cage for 2 6x9 speakers
  • am going to replace the door panels with riveted aluminium
  • also covering the dash console (which contains the blower and dipper controls) with riveted aluminium
  • body armour
  • storage rack for the rear
Work for some of these have already started and others will start once the first ones complete.

See attached pics for an idea of what I am trying to do.

Hopefully, it will work out well and I will have my unique Thar!

I have not had time to sit down and take pictures, but will do so tomorrow and upload to show the interiors.

Regards,
Manas
Attached Images

Last edited by manasm : 4th February 2012 at 11:44.
manasm is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 4th February 2012, 15:57   #193
BHPian

Hi friends,

I was the co driver in BAOTR with Manas and i still remember What Manas told in the first eve of BAOTR "I had spend 7.5+ L for a jeep,I don't know Offroad Driving or Engine/GB/Diff techs, But It should go where ever I want to go " That is Thar CRDe .

his machine was doing fantastic and i felt comfortable in sitting with him after some time.

Another secret was , we did OTR in AC . with some dark choclates.

Removed all the fragile acc at ASC , also had serious dupont skin damages, later came back & fitted the same with an additional spa of MAXICARE .. Looks brilliant .

Last edited by Rajith : 4th February 2012 at 16:02.
Rajith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th February 2012, 22:05   #194
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rajith View Post
Hi friends,

I was the co driver in BAOTR with Manas and i still remember What Manas told in the first eve of BAOTR "I had spend 7.5+ L for a jeep,I don't know Offroad Driving or Engine/GB/Diff techs, But It should go where ever I want to go " That is Thar CRDe .

his machine was doing fantastic and i felt comfortable in sitting with him after some time.

Another secret was , we did OTR in AC . with some dark choclates.

Removed all the fragile acc at ASC , also had serious dupont skin damages, later came back & fitted the same with an additional spa of MAXICARE .. Looks brilliant .
This is great to read... Manas, think I should have come to BAOTR and sat beside someone . May be the next OTR. I too know nothing of off-roading techniques...need to read-up. Looks like finally getting my Thar this week.
kshivaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th February 2012, 16:09   #195
BHPian

Congrats on the Thar Shiva!

Sorry for the long delay. Finally found some time to take a couple of pics of the rear seats and fittings. If there is anything specific you want a picture of, let me know and I will try to get it for you.

I have tried to place the seats a little forward instead of all the way at the back. With the seat down, there is more than enough leg room for 2 people to sit comfortable (2 people my size - about 5'8"). There is also enough room for one large suitcase plus one strolley suitcase to fit behind the seat. There is ample head room as well.

With the seat up, there is quite a lot more luggage space. I am working on changing the rear 2 legs to be able to bend when the seat is up and lock straight when the seat is down so it does not fall. Should do this sometime in the next couple of weeks.

Regards,
Manas
Attached Images

manasm is offline   (7) Thanks Reply With Quote