Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > 4x4 & Off-Roading > 4x4 Vehicles


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 5th January 2012, 21:51   #46
BHPian
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Varanasi
Posts: 348
Thanked: 62 Times
Default Re: Yet another MM 540DP

I talked to my mechanic regarding the intended stipping down approach ,he was wee bit hesitant saying that dismantling might damage the hard top beyond repairs as he does have automatic lifts in garage and moreover the jeep body and its chassis is still in good shape to warrant the whole hog job.
Well I am in kind of dilemma ,though I am finding myself gravitating toward s the complete stripping .
regards
praveen singh
Quote:
Originally Posted by AVR View Post
Hi Praveen,
I'd suggest you go all the way and get your body off the chassis and do a cleanup, tinkering and paint job. MM Thars have been seen to rust by the time they get delivered so you can imagine the ageing of a MM540.
In terms of color, stick to what your Registration book says as changing a color can be illegal (at least in Gujarat). Else a matt olive green or sand would be a classic choice!

Cheers,
Aditya
blueblooded is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th January 2012, 10:20   #47
Senior - BHPian
 
ex670c's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Chennai
Posts: 2,454
Thanked: 1,789 Times
Default Re: Yet another MM 540DP

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueblooded View Post
I talked to my mechanic regarding the intended stipping down approach ,he was wee bit hesitant saying that dismantling might damage the hard top beyond repairs as he does have automatic lifts in garage and moreover the jeep body and its chassis is still in good shape to warrant the whole hog job.
Well I am in kind of dilemma ,though I am finding myself gravitating toward s the complete stripping .
regards
praveen singh

Hi Praveen,

Please check the Hat Channels which are welded to the floor plate.

The network of Hat Channels support the vehicle body weight on the Chassis.

Currently just tinker/patchwork. If you Floor Plate is damages then consider removing the body.

Remove the FRP Top first, then the body.

Regards,

Arka
ex670c is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 10th January 2012, 01:57   #48
BHPian
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Varanasi
Posts: 348
Thanked: 62 Times
Default Re: Yet another MM 540DP

Dear Arka only one or two channels were rusted and the denter is dealing with them .Secondly ,whats floor plate ,if it means the bottom surface of the tub then its ok ,otherwise i dont know.
Thirdly ,now all the wheels have been opened and would be serviced yesrterday.
,I am almost the 750 kilometers away from where the restoration is being done under the guidance of my cousin as i am busy with my exams .so no pictures are being posted.
regards
Praveen singh
Quote:
Originally Posted by ex670c View Post
Hi Praveen,

Please check the Hat Channels which are welded to the floor plate.

The network of Hat Channels support the vehicle body weight on the Chassis.

Currently just tinker/patchwork. If you Floor Plate is damages then consider removing the body.

Remove the FRP Top first, then the body.

Regards,

Arka
blueblooded is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th March 2012, 20:51   #49
BHPian
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Varanasi
Posts: 348
Thanked: 62 Times
Default Re: Yet another MM 540DP

Dear fellow jeepers ,i am looking for four wheel drive gear lever but to my utter dismay and disappointment I am unable to get it .Can anyone please arrange for it .
My MM540 is lying idle just because i could not procure a single lever .
regards
praveen singh
blueblooded is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th June 2012, 13:30   #50
BHPian
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Varanasi
Posts: 348
Thanked: 62 Times
Default Re: Yet another MM 540DP

I have been unable to procure four wheel drive gear -liver for my MM540.In the meantime ,I am planning to have air conditioner installed in my hard top MM540 as the family members simply refuse to accompany me jeep in scorching northern heat waves.
Please advice me for the grounds up ac installation and expected cost of the modification
regards
praveen singh
blueblooded is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th June 2012, 14:01   #51
BHPian
 
Shubhendra's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Poona
Posts: 948
Thanked: 1,107 Times
Default Re: Yet another MM 540DP

Dear Praveen,
i suggest not to fit AX, XDP engine is prone to overheat and putting AC will only add to your problems. this is what i say with experience, there are many people out there who have AC installed in their 540 without problem. But i don't think XDP can handle north heat with AC.

Shubhendra Singh

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueblooded View Post
I have been unable to procure four wheel drive gear -liver for my MM540.In the meantime ,I am planning to have air conditioner installed in my hard top MM540 as the family members simply refuse to accompany me jeep in scorching northern heat waves.
Please advice me for the grounds up ac installation and expected cost of the modification
regards
praveen singh
Shubhendra is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 7th June 2012, 21:34   #52
BHPian
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Varanasi
Posts: 348
Thanked: 62 Times
Default Re: Yet another MM 540DP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shubhendra View Post
Dear Praveen,
i suggest not to fit AX, XDP engine is prone to overheat and putting AC will only add to your problems. this is what i say with experience, there are many people out there who have AC installed in their 540 without problem. But i don't think XDP can handle north heat with AC.

Shubhendra Singh
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shubhendra View Post
Dear Praveen,
i suggest not to fit AX, XDP engine is prone to overheat and putting AC will only add to your problems. this is what i say with experience, there are many people out there who have AC installed in their 540 without problem. But i don't think XDP can handle north heat with AC.

Shubhendra Singh
Dear Shubhedra ,you have really hit the nail at its head .AC would ofcourse be problem in northern summer ,but will it not be feasible to go ahead with the secondry electric fan for the radiator as done various people in this forum
Moreover,I plan to make the MM540 my primary vehicle as I simply love driving this beast around .
Please join the discussion for the thread bare analysis of the same.
Do keep in mind that the MM540 has recently been overhauled .The jobs undertaken were
1.Engine rebuild -it has been driven 4000 kms post the overhaul.
2.The painting and minor tinkering.
I failed to post the progress as I was hell lot busy during the rebuilding exercise.
I car/jeep has really got a new lease of life and there has been great change in the performance after the remake,the stock engine is all together different species after the rebuild.
regards
praveen singh
blueblooded is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd June 2012, 20:17   #53
BHPian
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Varanasi
Posts: 348
Thanked: 62 Times
Default Re: Yet another MM 540DP

Today, I notice that oil gauge is showing the oil level somewhere midway between maximum and minimum marks .I thinks jeep needs a top up.
Can use Lal ghoda engine oil 20w40 to top it up,or stick to the costlier castrol which used after the first service post the engine overhaul.
The beasts performance has improved remarkably and one really has to own it to believe it.
I simply enjoy the ride in the city or the highway.
regards
praveen singh
blueblooded is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd June 2012, 21:18   #54
Distinguished - BHPian
 
condor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Speed-brkr City
Posts: 10,322
Thanked: 3,665 Times
Default Re: Yet another MM 540DP

It is ok till it reaches min level. Even a mm below min is ok, but do not top up to above max at any time.
condor is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 22nd June 2012, 23:06   #55
BHPian
 
mustysekhon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Jaggery Village
Posts: 62
Thanked: 51 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueblooded
Today... oil gauge is showing the oil level somewhere midway between maximum and minimum marks .I thinks jeep needs a top up.,,
If temperature is cold, halfway is optimum, if engine is warm (your usual driving temperature) then also mid level is ok and actually a good sign (no leakage, no oil burn and no busted gaskets / oil seals intact).

Don't fix it if it ain't broke.
mustysekhon is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 23rd June 2012, 09:34   #56
BHPian
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Varanasi
Posts: 348
Thanked: 62 Times
Default Re: Yet another MM 540DP

Quote:
Originally Posted by condor View Post
It is ok till it reaches min level. Even a mm below min is ok, but do not top up to above max at any time.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mustysekhon View Post
If temperature is cold, halfway is optimum, if engine is warm (your usual driving temperature) then also mid level is ok and actually a good sign (no leakage, no oil burn and no busted gaskets / oil seals intact).

Don't fix it if it ain't broke.
Yes there is no visible sign of leakage in the engine bay ,Its really comforting to know that all is well as my jeep was subjected some really horrendous conditions as it was our daily drive to holy ganges in our native village for about a month .
We use to travel on the river bed for about three fourth of kms over sand
to reach the river which has shrunk quite a bit over the years thanx to unabated damming of river upstream.
I think i have to cut short the usual service interval of 5000kms to 3000-4000kms for the upcoming engine oil replacement.
Again ,Jeep is running like dream ,almost a half crank is sufficient to start the engine after the heating it.
Sorry guys ,I dont have the pictures as we were passing through a very tragic times as my uncle has left his earthly abode
regards
praveen singh
blueblooded is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th September 2012, 20:33   #57
BHPian
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Varanasi
Posts: 348
Thanked: 62 Times
Default Re: Yet another MM 540DP

Finally ,I am in mood to go for the 4*4 conversion which has pending for quite some time .Please guide me all along the whole process .To begin with ,Do tell me if front axles of the mahindra jeeps are same -I doubt but the mechanic- who does not know even abc of 4*4 except the transfer case and lever- says so.
I had procured a pair of front axles from the local scrap market .The car/jeep has all the other paraphernalia for 4*4 intact viz-the transfer case ,front differential -.I dont know if the the front axles casing have the axle intact or removed .
regards
praveen singh
blueblooded is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Another weekend, yet another Hill Station - Yelagiri Mr.Boss Travelogues 7 2nd August 2014 23:02
My 540DP Restoration II (Very Short Thread) 53BHP 4x4 Vehicles 54 31st July 2012 14:53
HELP Required: 1988 Mahindra Jeep 540DP 2WD Gordon 4x4 Technical 2 14th July 2009 18:34
OH NO!! Another Ferrari Enzo crashed.. and another... and another (w/ video) GTO The International Automotive Scene 72 26th May 2007 14:09
Another crash, another fire, another death in Delhi suman Street Experiences 7 15th December 2006 15:30


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 17:34.

Copyright 2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks