Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > 4x4 & Off-Roading > 4x4 Vehicles

Old 20th December 2011, 14:16   #91
BHPian

Default Re: Got JEEP??.. Hell Yeah.. My MM540

Quote:
Originally Posted by DHABHAR.BEHRAM View Post
took 10 days to complete and we corrected around 30 parameters. During the 3500 gruelling kilometers that we covered, our service cars only added water to the windshield washer bottle. That's all.
Wow! I wonder if such attention to detail is given even by independent mechanics today!! Mr Dhabhar, your anecdotes can form an entire encyclopedia!!
voodoochild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th December 2011, 14:47   #92
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by voodoochild View Post
Wow! I wonder if such attention to detail is given even by independent mechanics today!! Mr Dhabhar, your anecdotes can form an entire encyclopedia!!
Dear Voodoochild - attention to detail? HaHaHa. Read this! Yesterday night at 7.11 PM (I checked in my mobile), I got a call from one TeamBHPian in Bangalore. It went like this. "Behram Sir, what is the wheel alignment specification for Thar CRDe? Me - "Caster is +2 degrees 45 minutes, camber, umm, let me remember - yes, it is +14 minutes. Both these are center of specification values. Set it and let me know". I forgot to tell him that enough shims are available, setting is very much possible. That Thar CRDe will now run properly. Want more? Got it? Good!

Best regards,

Behram Dhabhar
DHABHAR.BEHRAM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th December 2011, 15:07   #93
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Suspension parameters. What are they? Caster, KPI, ride height, wheel bearing preload. Brake parameters. Jammed wheel cylinders, unequal diameter of wheel cylinders (very common root cause!), uneven frictional characteristics of brake liners, pinched brake bundy pipes, bulging brake hoses, contaminated brake fluid, etc etc etc.
Whew!.. OK.. But the issue for new Jeepers like me is lack of enough technical know-how. I've got hold of a service manual from the A.S.S. Over time, I'd familiarize myself with it. And with some helpful suggestions from people like you, I expect to survive in this Jeeping community. . And own a machine that is somewhat reliable.
Quote:
By the way, the left tail light looks more "Jeepish", so it's better!
Thanks!
Quote:
Save enough money and buy the Thar CRDe. You will forget everything else, and that's my promise to you!
In the near future, lets see what the used market throws up.
dhanushs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th December 2011, 15:11   #94
Distinguished - BHPian

Yesterday, I got my electricals sorted out somewhat. I even have my windshield washer fluid topped up with water. Well.. Its soo strange to be in a JEEP with all lights and indicators working!
Old 20th December 2011, 17:19   #95
BHPian

Quote:
Dear Sharath - thanks for raising this point. I hold my comment that "please don't go to the unorganized sector". Let me explain. By "unorganized sector", I mean the "under the tree" sort of guys who hold the unbroken record of not adhering to any process, any timeline and any quality parameter for any vehicle on which they work. Also, dealerships are not the only organized sector guys out there. I am delighted to mention the names of two places, Swadi Automobiles and Select Auto Works, both in Mumbai who can show a lot to dealerships on how to work on a car and how to delight customers so that they become brand ambassadors for life. Swadi Automobiles is run by my mentor, Mr.Anand (Dada) Swadi and Select Auto Works is run by my very dear friend Sunil Shanbhag. I swear by Dada's and Sunil's quality of work which dealerships can at least aspire to match, after they come out of filling the plethora of forms which they fill now. No wonder, the dealership did not take your CL340 because form filling cannot not repair your Jeep, they know at least this much.

Dada Swadi - in 1992, Dada telephoned me and understood the exact process to set the timing belt for the Premier Padmini 137D Diesel car. We talked on the telephone for close to two hours, the next day I went to Swadi Automobiles, explained the basic design limitations in the production design and we fabricated a bracket derived out of the VW Golf FIP mounting bracket and fitted it on the customer's car to solve the problem once and for all. That's Dada's perfection for you! That's why he is my mentor.

Sunil Shanbhag - we took part in the Himalayan Rally in 1983. The Jeep (MAR2840) in which we took part went through a "general check-up" at Sunil's workshop, which took 10 days to complete and we corrected around 30 parameters. During the 3500 gruelling kilometers that we covered, our service cars only added water to the windshield washer bottle. That's all. The vehicle ran perfectly. There was no need to open the bonnet eccept to fill windshield washer water. That's Sunil Shanbhag's excellence for you!

Hope this clarifies.

Best regards,

Behram Dhabhar
Dear Behram Sir,

Please suggest any work shop in north specially in NCR region.

Regards
Srinivas
svpatra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th December 2011, 21:57   #96
Distinguished - BHPian

A small group of Jeepers celebrated the Thar's 1st B'Day, here at Wayanad. My humble two wheeler Jeep (As of now) was lucky enough to be in the gang of Thar's in a deserving OTR! Though it went only quarter the way!

Detailed report with pics will follow!

-------------------------------------

In the mean while, the Jeep is now starting to be a daily shuttle to my farm, and clocking kilometers faster than ever. I just hope the tyres last long enough till I set the 4x4 and go for atleast one proper OTR.

Pic of My Jeep going on with its chores:
Got JEEP??.. Hell Yeah.. My MM540-img_1403-copy.jpg
dhanushs is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 16th January 2012, 00:39   #97
Distinguished - BHPian

My Jeep, amidst its natural habitat.. the FOREST's of Muthanga!

Got JEEP??.. Hell Yeah.. My MM540-resize-wizard1-copy.jpg
P.S: This is an HDR trial from my phone. Posting in the Auto Images Thread.
Old 16th January 2012, 09:46   #98
Distinguished - BHPian

Dear bhp'ns,

Last day, my gearbox got stuck in 3rd gear. Not being able to change to any gear, it was just stuck!

Called a near by mech, and we opend the head of the gearbox. He said that there was some lock, which was not disengaging, and he gently hammered it back . Now, I really dont know what was the issue, or if the solution is permanent or temporary.

Could you guys please explain what happened? And what was that needed to be done? And that what we did was right or not?

Thanks!

-----------------------------------------------

Another issue I'm facing is that, after the opening of the GB head and fixing the lock, I'm facing the issue of gear slippage in 2nd gear. ie, on steep inclines with full load, I need to hold the 2nd gear from moving into neutral.

Now, this is the 1st real mechanical issue I'm facing with my Jeep, and a bit concerned. Any help would be greatly appreciated!
Old 17th January 2012, 10:26   #99
Distinguished - BHPian

Getting the soft top installed today.

Also, a quick question about diff ratio.

What is the diff ratio of a stock MM540 2WD with FFRA's? My tyre upgrade has caused a ~25% overall increase in tyre dia. If so, whats the effective diff ratio, and its effects.
Old 18th January 2012, 22:50   #100
Distinguished - BHPian

Finally, got my Soft Top installed.

Fazal Ali Sir, thanks for the idea. Initially, I just wanted a slanting simple design, but your Jeep gave me the idea for canvas design.

One change is that, I have not angled my rear as much as your Jeep, as I wanted to retain the side facing rear seats, so that my Jeep can still be a people/luggage carrier from our farm.

In all, the result is satisfactory for me..

Now, some pics!

During installation:

Got JEEP??.. Hell Yeah.. My MM540-img_1564-copy.jpg

Got JEEP??.. Hell Yeah.. My MM540-img_1565-copy.jpg

Got JEEP??.. Hell Yeah.. My MM540-img_1568-copy.jpg

The RESULT!

Got JEEP??.. Hell Yeah.. My MM540-img_1571-copy.jpg

Got JEEP??.. Hell Yeah.. My MM540-img_1576-copy.jpg

Got JEEP??.. Hell Yeah.. My MM540-img_1582-copy.jpg

Got JEEP??.. Hell Yeah.. My MM540-img_1585-copy.jpg

Got JEEP??.. Hell Yeah.. My MM540-img_1587-copy.jpg

Got JEEP??.. Hell Yeah.. My MM540-img_1589-copy.jpg

Got JEEP??.. Hell Yeah.. My MM540-img_1591-copy.jpg

Got JEEP??.. Hell Yeah.. My MM540-img_1593-copy.jpg
Old 25th January 2012, 11:48   #101
Distinguished - BHPian

Update: Fuel meter went kaput.

The needle was always reading empty.

For a 540 (Jeeps), as far as I have heard, its the float in the tank, that stops working and only seldom does the meter go kaput.

If you disconnect the wiring from the float, and the meter shows FULL, then the float is at fault, and if its still empty, then its the meter that needs attention.

In my case, strangely, both needs attention. :(

Cost of meter: ~400.
Cost of float: Not yet bought.

Another point to note, while replacing the meter or float, is to ensure both are of the same make.

Quote:
I'm facing the issue of gear slippage in 2nd gear.
Well, the issue is said to be due to a worn out gear. :( Replacement is the only option. Not that it bothers a lot, but still I'm concerned about its effects off the road.
Old 1st February 2012, 13:56   #102
Distinguished - BHPian

"Owning a decade old Jeep is just plain madness" - This is what many said to me, after the purchase.

Well, I guess they are right! As I just completed a MAD ~700km trip!!.. Which included some roads, which were literally don't exist, to some really good highways.

The best part is that, now as I'm used to the Jeep handling and sorts, I managed to achieve a GPS-said speed of ~110km/hr, in NICE road Bangalore, en route from Bannarghatta - Mysore Road

I have heard somewhere that the top speed of the XDP 4.9 2.1L is ~105, with stock axles. But, I guess due to my bigger tyres, and the effective change diff ratio, I was able to achieve 110km/h!

The Jeep is now just perfect for cruising, and gives good FE, but as a matter of fact, this denies the purpose of a Jeep or what I bought it for. So, planning to change the diff ratio to 5.38:1 .

Any advices would be appreciated!

Thanks,

Dhanush
Old 8th February 2012, 22:10   #103
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhanushs View Post
Update: Fuel meter went kaput.
Fuel meter fixed!!..

After visiting the electrician about 5 times, and turned back as he was 'busy', I got frustrated and decided to take matter in my own hand. And guess what?.. Fixing the float was one of the most easiest DIY's I've ever done!!..

Problem: The float (part) at the end of the float (device), which causes the lever in the float (device) to move up and down and hence, sense the level of diesel was missing.
Solution: Just install a small float(part) at the end of the lever.

Another solution was to buy a brand new float, worth 250 bucks.

The location of the float (device) in the tank:

Got JEEP??.. Hell Yeah.. My MM540-dscn6659-copy.jpg

Got JEEP??.. Hell Yeah.. My MM540-dscn6661-copy.jpg

This was where the float was, to make the float float.

Got JEEP??.. Hell Yeah.. My MM540-dscn6663-copy.jpg
dhanushs is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 11th February 2012, 09:58   #104
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhanushs View Post
Fuel meter fixed!!..

After visiting the electrician about 5 times, and turned back as he was 'busy', I got frustrated and decided to take matter in my own hand. And guess what?.. Fixing the float was one of the most easiest DIY's I've ever done!!..
Check this link;

My apologies if this has been posted elsewhere and I have missed it. This just came to my gmail inbox and sent to me by my Nephew.

BY the way good to read about the float and now I can fix the same!
sriny_blr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th May 2012, 00:34   #105
Distinguished - BHPian

One more trip to the forest, and I started hearing strange groaning noises from the rear left.

I was out of town, and was really busy for the last couple of months. So, the Jeep has been just running... and running... and running.. No real care going into it, and as a result, I suspected no grease in the leafspring pins.

Well, as the sound grew to grinding and clanking sounds, I suspected if I had broken a leaf or so. As we were in the middle of the forest at about 11:00PM, getting out and checking was out of the question! When I got out of the forest, on the highway, the sound just vanished, but Jeep was not behaving right.

After reaching home, on checking, guess what I found??.. I lost my shackes! .. Dayumn! The leaf was holding on its own, and the clanking sound was coming on articulation when the leaf would hit the mounting. I shudder to think if it had been on any other vehicle, I would have sure been stranded in the middle of the forest, at midnight!

Changed both the rear shackes. Cost me about 280 per set (Total 560Rs.). Labour not yet paid. . Greased the complete vehicle (leafs/prop shaft joints). Cost me 40 bucks!