Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > 4x4 & Off-Roading > 4x4 Vehicles

Old 16th November 2011, 12:23   #16
BHPian

Default Re: Gypsied!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bantejas View Post
The bangalore owner modded the gypsy with his own taste which appeared pretty simple and nice to me. The winch guard, snorkel, bucket seats, iron man aux lights and suspensions! Not that I wanted all these mods, but then what the heck, I can strip apart and sell it for a decent price if I don't feel the necessity.
All the mods will be of great value for you when you start using the vehicle a lot and off road, so please don't sell them off bit-by-bit. Those are quality parts and if you were to try to get them together again it will cost you a bomb. Those tyres alone are ~6K INR at the lower end these days and not available by most means.

Going by your observation that a brand new Gypsy would have burnt a major hole in your pocket, I'm guessing that you got this one for ~4L, which is an absolute steal if it were to be true.

Clutch overhaul and a new steering box is an indicator of the vehicle being used not too gently. Then again, at 70K on the odo it is not alarming either. The good news is that there are not too many extremely expensive parts on a Gypsy, you just need to find good competent hands to look after the vehicle.

Edit: I'd also take a closer look at your rear left leaf springs, they don't seem to be in a great shape. I'm not an expert, but it will be a good idea to take another look at it.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/attach...d-dsc_0301.jpg

Last edited by codelust : 16th November 2011 at 12:28.
codelust is online now   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 16th November 2011, 12:42   #17
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by codelust View Post
All the mods will be of great value for you when you start using the vehicle a lot and off road, so please don't sell them off bit-by-bit. Those are quality parts and if you were to try to get them together again it will cost you a bomb. Those tyres alone are ~6K INR at the lower end these days and not available by most means.

Going by your observation that a brand new Gypsy would have burnt a major hole in your pocket, I'm guessing that you got this one for ~4L, which is an absolute steal if it were to be true.

Clutch overhaul and a new steering box is an indicator of the vehicle being used not too gently. Then again, at 70K on the odo it is not alarming either. The good news is that there are not too many extremely expensive parts on a Gypsy, you just need to find good competent hands to look after the vehicle.
I am not selling them at this point of time. What I meant was if I don't find the need then I would. Okay, the price that I paid was 4.4L to be exact and I find it pretty high!

I don't think that the clutch overhaul is required. I drove the car yesterday and didn't find anything wrong with the pickup/any burning smell. Need to get a good mechanic so that I can get it serviced as well and get more info out. The car for sure needs a little tinkering!

Not sure on why the steering was changed. Since I come from that place, I know that it'd have been beaten up a little here and there. There are loads of non-existent roads near kanpur/unnao region!
The reason for this price was obviously the mods + the tyres. Not sure how the tyres would be off the road. On the road, they are pretty good.

Quote:
Originally Posted by codelust View Post
Edit: I'd also take a closer look at your rear left leaf springs, they don't seem to be in a great shape. I'm not an expert, but it will be a good idea to take another look at it.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/attach...d-dsc_0301.jpg
As of now I am not hearing any squeaks. The mech at the MASS didn't say anything about changing them when I asked about it.
bantejas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th November 2011, 13:10   #18
BHPian

4.4 is indeed on the steeper side. But it is also a seller's market and anything younger than a 2002 model, stock and even reasonably abused goes right in the region of 3L as a norm. Since it looks mechanically pretty sorted out you should be able to recover the cost if you keep it and use it for long enough.

The tyres are AT BFGs. They have a pretty good reputation off-road, and if I remember right, they are also known for pretty strong sidewalls. As an added bonus I think they look really cool. Not legally available for sale in India anymore.
codelust is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 17th November 2011, 10:16   #19
Team-BHP Support

Hey Congratz once again! I think you go a very good deal. Now get her serviced and fix her up to your taste. One step at a time, that will save lot of heart ache and you will have good control on the build. We will soon catch up and no need to thank me, i shared whatever info i came across. FYI even Khan, Viji all had contributed lil bit here and there for my inputs (behind the scenes)
Jaggu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th November 2011, 19:35   #20
Senior - BHPian

Congratulations! What else you need? See you for the next OTR.
dwaraka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th September 2012, 20:11   #21
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by khan_sultan View Post
Do you plan to put in a Winch for your Gypsy? I see a winch ready bumper in there. What all have you planned as modifications for the Gypsy?
A very very late reply to this khan bhai (hope you remember my nervous face during my first descent at BAOTR'12):
Right now I am not putting a winch. Going slow with the mods.
1. Need to get a diff guard.
2. Need to get a FWH.
3. Will remove the sway bar.

The other mod's really expensive that I have in mind:
Manual diff locks: A little check with jaggu (who has been my answer for all my of stupidest of the questions) gives me a shocker! Its way too expensive. For some reason, I don't want to get the auto lockers for a particular reason and I am still thinking on what to do about it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by khan_sultan View Post
Also, do share costs/plans for transferring to a KA-reg number (if you plan to change the number)
I am going to keep the same number (reminds me of my home town a little). The road tax was already paid for KA state and so I didn't have to do anything but to get it registered to my name.
Btw, I ended up paying 4.2 and not 4.4 as I posted earlier.

Some updates: I haven't had any issues with the gypsy at all. Got it tinkered a while back: only the passenger seat side needed to be tinkered. I don't use it as my daily car (i actually ride), just for weekend drives, or some times at night I take it off for a spin + some off roading with svsanthosh . Hope to do more in the near future.

Thanks,
Tejas

Last edited by bantejas : 28th September 2012 at 20:12.
bantejas is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote