Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > 4x4 & Off-Roading > 4x4 Vehicles

Old 1st December 2011, 12:45   #1
BHPian

Default MM 550 XDP (Wife) vs CJ/CL 340 DP (Girlfriend)

The four letter word Jeep and the related information has been on my mind for the last five years now. Go anywhere attitude possessed by these vehicles are a class apart and this had made me a wannabe jeeper.

Started reading lot about these vehicles on Jeep Thrills and later on became a member with Team-BHP after going through various threads.

I was deeply impressed with the talent, experience and skills possessed and displayed by few of them like UBS ji, Dhabhar Behram, GTO, Samurai, Sanjay (4x4army), Shiva (trammway), Harjeev and was often critised by managers and family members for spending too much time on this website. Went through the pros and cons of all available jeeps in India, and even visited the very famous Moga, Dabwali, Meerut, Patiala, Jalandhar sort of places looking for one which would suit me. The assembled jeeps built in Moga truely caught my attention, however the whole meaning of the Jeep was lost with the 4x4 lacking in most of them. Toyota 2c and 3c turbo engines only offered mileage and speed and nothing else. Moreover, they cannot be legally driven in most places in India. So completely stopped the idea of an assembled jeep.

In October2010 at Moga I came very close to buying a Mahindra Classic jeep in excellent shape, but the price was too much beyond my budget. It was from the last year of Classic's production (2000) and was in real good shape. The dealer quoted the price of 2.4 Lac and I seriously regret now for not buying it. Later on after reading the reviews I found that it would have been a fairly priced jeep with the current generation of jeepers literally considering it as a legendary icon. Six months later in April 2011the jeep was sold for 2.6 Lacs by the dealer. All I could do was bang my head on a wall.

I went on searching and simultaneously comparing the CJ/CL 340 DP (Girlfiend) vs MM 550 XDP (Wife). Went through various posts (Particularly Harjeev, Trammway, GTO, Samurai, Sanjay, V-16) and finally decided to stick to the Wife the MM 550 XDP (Ex-Army), with a special mention of the fact that the sheer beauty of the SWB cannot be ignored and the search for the same will continue.

Last week on Friday (Nov 25) I finalized the deal for an Ex-Army MM550 XDP with one of the scrap yard dealers (MSTC bidders) in my native town Pathankot and closed the deal on Sunday (Nov 27). He had 4 jeeps at his disposal that time out of which I picked the 2003 model as it had the minimal damage and was good from mechanical point of view. All of them required tinkering work and this was the one which had all wheels and mechanicals in all most the right shape. The 2004 model was infact much wider with broader leaf springs and hand brake, but the price quoted by the dealer was way too much and was beyond my budget.

So I opted for the 2003 model. Pics quality will not be too good as they were clicked by a cellphone that too only two in number

This was the 2004 model MM 550 XDP (Wife) vs CJ/CL 340 DP (Girlfriend)-photo0107.jpg

This was what I picked the 2003 model MM 550 XDP (Wife) vs CJ/CL 340 DP (Girlfriend)-photo0106.jpg
Cj3bDog is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 1st December 2011, 12:52   #2
BHPian

Default re: MM 550 XDP (Wife) vs CJ/CL 340 DP (Girlfriend)

I plan to keep the vehicle with the minimal required work as of now for about 2 months and will jott down the sort of work that would be required on it at a later stage when I go for a complete restoration/customization.

Will keep the thread updated with the latest happenings with the jeep. Since this is my first thread I would apologize for the boring write up. Suggestions on working on the vehicle will be appreciated.

Last edited by Cj3bDog : 1st December 2011 at 12:55. Reason: First thread - wanted to add the line regarding the same.
Old 1st December 2011, 13:05   #3
Senior - BHPian

Congrats,Your thread is very amusing, it makes people like Harjeev, Arka, Siva, AnandRao (Hariyali), sound like Polygamists (is it even a word!!) - all of them have at least 1 wife and 1 girlfriend...Before people bounce, hey what about these guys...Yes - Shibu and UBS sir would be the worst offenders LOLZ...
svsantosh is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 1st December 2011, 13:09   #4
BHPian

Congrats on your purchase CJ3BDOG.
Just a question, was this 2004 model 550 a NGCS one?
How much was the dealer quoting for the 2004 one?
Thanks and Regards,
Deepak
starter is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 1st December 2011, 13:11   #5
BHPian

Congrats youngman So yet again one more falls in love with a shattered beauty!!! No offense. Hope you have l'l troublesome build, You know these builds give you sleepless nights and are never trouble free.. Nevertheless!!! BTW appreciate your long term plans (Wife)

Anyways was the 2004 model NGCS? Why did you not pick up the '04 model. How far would you have had to finger..oops I mean to count the Gandhiji for the 04?
You pick looks good, how sound is it mechanically? ..

Last edited by Twinn : 1st December 2011 at 13:15.
Twinn is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 1st December 2011, 13:23   #6
BHPian

Quote:
Santosh

Congrats,Your thread is very amusing, it makes people like Harjeev, Arka, Siva, AnandRao (Hariyali), sound like Polygamists (is it even a word!!) - all of them have at least 1 wife and 1 girlfriend...Before people bounce, hey what about these guys...Yes - Shibu and UBS sir would be the worst offenders LOLZ...
That would be the truth

Quote:
Twinn

Congrats youngman So yet again one more falls in love with a shattered beauty!!! No offense. Hope you have l'l troublesome build, You know these builds give you sleepless nights and are never trouble free.. Nevertheless!!! BTW appreciate your long term plans (Wife)

Anyways was the 2004 model NGCS? Why did you not pick up the '04 model. How far would you have had to finger..oops I mean to count the Gandhiji for the 04?
You pick looks good, how sound is it mechanically? .
Thanks for the wishes Twinn. Yes the 2004 model was NGCS and the price quoted by the dealer was double as to what I paid for the one I picked. Working 4x4, zero issues in regards to suspension and steering, Correct body alignment and smooth gearbox led to my conclusion of mechanical part. But I guess 2 months of trial run period will give me the true picture, in case I have missed on something.

Last edited by moralfibre : 27th August 2012 at 14:58. Reason: Do not write an entire post in bold letters.
Cj3bDog is online now   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 2nd December 2011, 07:51   #7
Senior - BHPian

Good choice Susheel. Will be glued to this thread , finally i know a guy at my workplace who has the same passion as i have. Cheers and all the best!

OT - We both work in the same office.
harishnayak is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 2nd December 2011, 17:12   #8
BHPian

Thanks Harry,

I would request the moderator to please correct the spelling in the title of the thread. Girlfriend is actually missing the "r".
Old 4th July 2012, 14:59   #9
BHPian

It has been a long time since this thread got my attention, even though my jeep was well completed and trial tested by the month of Feb 2012. Nevertheless here are the updates along with the pictures, post towing the vehicle from the scrap dealer to the mechanic. The first full inspection of the engine bay and some close pics of the jeep were clicked on 22nd December 2011.
Attached Thumbnails
MM 550 XDP (Wife) vs CJ/CL 340 DP (Girlfriend)-photo0118.jpg  

MM 550 XDP (Wife) vs CJ/CL 340 DP (Girlfriend)-photo0119.jpg  

MM 550 XDP (Wife) vs CJ/CL 340 DP (Girlfriend)-photo0120.jpg  

MM 550 XDP (Wife) vs CJ/CL 340 DP (Girlfriend)-photo0121.jpg  

MM 550 XDP (Wife) vs CJ/CL 340 DP (Girlfriend)-photo0122.jpg  

MM 550 XDP (Wife) vs CJ/CL 340 DP (Girlfriend)-photo0123.jpg  

Last edited by Cj3bDog : 4th July 2012 at 15:01. Reason: visible font description
Old 4th July 2012, 15:09   #10
BHPian

After going through the threads about the batteries available and the best suited for a jeep on the site (courtesy Team-bhp) I decided to go for an Amaron Harvest 75 Amp Battery with a 2 year warantty. Clamp and battery wire was purchased as well.
Attached Thumbnails
MM 550 XDP (Wife) vs CJ/CL 340 DP (Girlfriend)-photo0124.jpg  

MM 550 XDP (Wife) vs CJ/CL 340 DP (Girlfriend)-photo0125.jpg  

Old 4th July 2012, 15:21   #11
BHPian

Mechanic and electrician tried to crank the engine but all we heard was a knocking noise. Tak tak tak tak, and immediately mechanic suggested that the engine would have to be opened and inspected. It might even require a complete overhaul as it has seized. This was something I did not expect as the dealer had suggested that the engine did start at their yard when another person had tried to buy this before I did. I was any which ways going for a complete engine overhaul as I wanted my jeep to be mechanically in good shape. Engine rebuild was going to be my first priority. Now there was no looking back and I suggested mechanic to go for a complete engine overhaul.

Upon further diagnosis lot of issues were observed with the engine, the head had completely worn out, the pistons all with broken rings and the crank shaft had a major irregularity (close to 40)- I guess what it means is the deformity. Mechanic was not happy with the engine and informed me about the cost of all these parts.

I suggested him to wait before he started off with the engine, as I wanted to talk to the scrap dealer before the engine overhaul. In the meantime I suggested him to work on other parts like wheels, electricals etc. The scrap dealer was off to Goa for the new year celebrations.
Attached Thumbnails
MM 550 XDP (Wife) vs CJ/CL 340 DP (Girlfriend)-photo0137.jpg  

MM 550 XDP (Wife) vs CJ/CL 340 DP (Girlfriend)-photo0138.jpg  

MM 550 XDP (Wife) vs CJ/CL 340 DP (Girlfriend)-photo0139.jpg  

MM 550 XDP (Wife) vs CJ/CL 340 DP (Girlfriend)-photo0140.jpg  

MM 550 XDP (Wife) vs CJ/CL 340 DP (Girlfriend)-photo0141.jpg  

MM 550 XDP (Wife) vs CJ/CL 340 DP (Girlfriend)-photo0142.jpg  

Old 11th July 2012, 09:37   #12
BHPian

Upon the scrap dealer's return from Goa, I had a nice little conversation with him regarding the progress on my jeep. After a brief talk, he asked me to come along with the mechanic and all the engine parts to which he could provide us with a replacement. After looking for all the available parts, the mechanic picked up another crank shaft, a new head and few smaller but vital spares. I offered the dealer few bucks but he refused to take any from me.

The mechanic was happy with the visit and suggested that the visit to the scrap dealer was worth it. Now with the mechanic and his team busy on rebuilding the engine, I went for a short trip to Chamba to enjoy some snowfall.

Next time I visited the garage, the jeep had been moved to the painter guy. Initially I had asked the painter to simply remove the 4-5 dents and install all the locks and rubber beading, but Upon asking the price for the complete paint job, I agreed for a complete paint work. This turned out to be one of my mistakes during the entire process as the quality of paint work done by him was not to my satisfaction. But no doubt, he had worked excellently well on the denting part and had given the vehicle a very nice smooth finish.

For the colour choice, we went at the nearest dupoint and checked out the various colour options available. Eventually I decided on the Volkswagon Santos Beige colour.

Here are few pictures clicked during the process.
Attached Thumbnails
MM 550 XDP (Wife) vs CJ/CL 340 DP (Girlfriend)-photo0333.jpg  

MM 550 XDP (Wife) vs CJ/CL 340 DP (Girlfriend)-photo0334.jpg  

MM 550 XDP (Wife) vs CJ/CL 340 DP (Girlfriend)-photo0335.jpg  

MM 550 XDP (Wife) vs CJ/CL 340 DP (Girlfriend)-photo0337.jpg  

Old 14th July 2012, 09:08   #13
Senior - BHPian

Awesome pathania. Looks like your dream project that we used to discuss about an year back is taking proper shape. Can't wait to see the final product.
harishnayak is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 26th August 2012, 00:26   #14
BHPian

Default Re: MM 550 XDP (Wife) vs CJ/CL 340 DP (Girlfriend)

Once the painter was done with the tasks assigned to him, the chief mechanic assembled the vehicle. In the meanwhile the fabricator too had completed the assigned task of completing and assembling the seat covers.

I received the call from the chief mechanic as I was promised at certain time. However upon my arrival lot of complications emerged. The engine would start using the ignition key, however would not stop/shut down upon using the same.

Secondly, since the accelerator pedal was missing in the original vehicle, we could not manage an original MM 550 pedal and so fixed a bolero pick up pedal. I was not too keen on the looks that it had to offer, but apparently I had to press the entire pedal down to generate some rpms.

While driving I found the vehicle could not do any more than 30 kms and just for this much speed the entire pedal had to be pressed down. I halted the vehicle 12 km away from the garage and went to the committed place on motor cycle. Later in the morning I made a call to the mechanic and asked him to tow the jeep back to the garage and fix all the issues I listed. Pictures were not clicked all this while and the one posted only is once the painter delivered the jeep to me post the assembly.
Attached Thumbnails
MM 550 XDP (Wife) vs CJ/CL 340 DP (Girlfriend)-photo0344.jpg  

MM 550 XDP (Wife) vs CJ/CL 340 DP (Girlfriend)-photo0345.jpg  

MM 550 XDP (Wife) vs CJ/CL 340 DP (Girlfriend)-photo0346.jpg  

MM 550 XDP (Wife) vs CJ/CL 340 DP (Girlfriend)-photo0347.jpg  

Old 26th August 2012, 23:52   #15
BHPian

After the disastrous first run, I was called up by the mechanic for picking up the refined and up-tuned jeep about a week later. The mechanic had sorted the brake issue with a new brake booster in place. The wheels were removed and with appropriate adjustments the free wheeling was improved. The switch in the ignition set was replaced for a hassle free turn on and off of the vehicle. Fuel line and tank were cleaned for smooth flow of the fuel.

Another technician was called in for the leaf springs. All the 4 set of springs were hammered for the correct angle, new U bolts were plugged in, and appropriate greasing was done. The jeep clearly looked much taller after this which brought a nice grin on my face.

I did inquire about the SPOA and was keen on getting it done, but due to time constraints kept it for a later occasion.

Once the chief mechanic confirmed that the jeep was ready for any trip, I took no words for granted and took him along for a 24 km trial run, which also included a good 4WD test. Here are few of the pictures. Since I was in the navigator seat all this while, pictures could only be clicked from the inside of the jeep. It had rained a lot during the last few days and I found this swampy area good for the test. This was next to the cantt and was used for tank runs by the armoured core. The jeep went through the whole place with great ease.
Attached Thumbnails
MM 550 XDP (Wife) vs CJ/CL 340 DP (Girlfriend)-photo0350.jpg  

MM 550 XDP (Wife) vs CJ/CL 340 DP (Girlfriend)-photo0351.jpg  

MM 550 XDP (Wife) vs CJ/CL 340 DP (Girlfriend)-photo0352.jpg  

MM 550 XDP (Wife) vs CJ/CL 340 DP (Girlfriend)-photo0353.jpg  

MM 550 XDP (Wife) vs CJ/CL 340 DP (Girlfriend)-photo0354.jpg  

MM 550 XDP (Wife) vs CJ/CL 340 DP (Girlfriend)-photo0355.jpg  

MM 550 XDP (Wife) vs CJ/CL 340 DP (Girlfriend)-photo0356.jpg  

MM 550 XDP (Wife) vs CJ/CL 340 DP (Girlfriend)-photo0357.jpg  

MM 550 XDP (Wife) vs CJ/CL 340 DP (Girlfriend)-photo0358.jpg