Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > 4x4 & Off-Roading > 4x4 Vehicles


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 6th July 2012, 13:15   #31
Distinguished - BHPian
 
dhanushs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Bathery/BLR
Posts: 3,406
Thanked: 3,930 Times
Default Re: 1993 MM540 4X4 Restoration

Quote:
Originally Posted by S_patrick View Post
Anil did a really good job with my soft top, i think he charged me 1.5k for the entire labour.. materials i picked up from Bangalore.. was worth it... this time he charged me 75 bucks... picked up the rexine from this new place opened up near Welmart, they have good canvas too...
Hmm... anyhow, that made me find a better person. Peter, in Poomala.
Quote:
Saw your jeep in the empire parking lot here a while back, the work on your top is pretty simple, he shouldn't have charged you much...
New or old?
Quote:
i got a two piece top done, rear removable, with both sides opening, and the rear i asked him to do the X like he did for yours...
Yours looks really good. The only concern of canvas is that it fades. I got top quality Mafatlal Canvas for my old Jeep, but its already brown in color.
dhanushs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th July 2012, 20:56   #32
BHPian
 
S_patrick's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: bangalore
Posts: 39
Thanked: 58 Times
Default Re: 1993 MM540 4X4 Restoration

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhanushs
New or old? Yours looks really good. The only concern of canvas is that it fades. I got top quality Mafatlal Canvas for my old Jeep, but its already brown in color.
the old one actually, and the canvas, it faded only after soaking and washing it

took these two pics to show anil :P

1993 MM540 4X4 Restoration-300120121036.jpg

1993 MM540 4X4 Restoration-300120121037.jpg

Last edited by Jaggu : 18th December 2015 at 12:57.
S_patrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th July 2012, 11:59   #33
BHPian
 
sriny_blr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: MAQ/BLR
Posts: 210
Thanked: 49 Times
Default Re: 1993 MM540 4X4 Restoration

Hello Patrick

You had said Rs.8000/- for paiting in post no.1 and later on you have given paint and other allied materials cost. Does this mean Rs.8000/- is only labor charges or he had provided you the material cost !

Quote:
Estimate given by the workshop:
tinkering : 7500 (including material)
painting: 8000
mechanical: 6000
Quote:
Paint material cost:
Paint set 1.5L asian paint ppg bilux, Rs.3600 (1750 per liter)
Body filler, thinner, metal paste. etc Rs.4500
sriny_blr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th July 2012, 22:18   #34
BHPian
 
S_patrick's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: bangalore
Posts: 39
Thanked: 58 Times
Default Re: 1993 MM540 4X4 Restoration

Quote:
Originally Posted by sriny_blr View Post
Hello Patrick

You had said Rs.8000/- for paiting in post no.1 and later on you have given paint and other allied materials cost. Does this mean Rs.8000/- is only labor charges or he had provided you the material cost !

Hey sriny,
IIRC it was 8000 for partly labor and a few materials, the paint and paste was scraped down completely to just the body metal.... but was exclusive of paint cost..
S_patrick is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 27th July 2012, 20:54   #35
BHPian
 
S_patrick's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: bangalore
Posts: 39
Thanked: 58 Times
Default Re: 1993 MM540 4X4 Restoration

had a little trouble with the steering today... drove from one end of the empire parking lot in koramangla to the other end in 4wd through the slush n rains... the steering started to wobble only when i turn after that, n go zig-zag.... it was a little bumpy but not so bad... just got the death wobble corrected two weeks back... any suggestions?
S_patrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd August 2012, 21:40   #36
BHPian
 
S_patrick's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: bangalore
Posts: 39
Thanked: 58 Times
Default Re: 1993 MM540 4X4 Restoration

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhanushs View Post
Please check your spindle and tie-rods. Probable cause which I can see.
Got it checked at 3 different places Danush,
the first mechanic said that my tie end rods need to be changed because of a play thats developed, the second one, Sijo automobiles, said that my steering needs overhaulling, and when checked at BOLTON CONCEPTS, the mechanic said its a problem with my 4wd gearbox!

the problem: when turning in 4wd, the steering flips around swinging/turning left and right, problem does not occur in 2wd, though the steering flips a bit on an unlevelled road. also as pointed out, when the steering is turned to the maximum toward left or right, the steering box moves a bit forward.
problem started right after the jeep ran through a few ditches in 4wd high at about 30kmph max.
S_patrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd September 2012, 23:04   #37
BHPian
 
S_patrick's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: bangalore
Posts: 39
Thanked: 58 Times
Default Re: 1993 MM540 4X4 Restoration

A couple of pics from my jeep's first time off the road! performed really well i must say! the tyres were a concern, but didn't seem to matter!
BODA sunday @ bidaraguppe lake bed, bangalore..

1993 MM540 4X4 Restoration-dsc01840.jpg

1993 MM540 4X4 Restoration-dsc01869.jpg

1993 MM540 4X4 Restoration-dsc01893.jpg

1993 MM540 4X4 Restoration-dsc01847.jpg

1993 MM540 4X4 Restoration-dsc_0050.jpg

1993 MM540 4X4 Restoration-dsc_0143.jpg

1993 MM540 4X4 Restoration-dsc_0112.jpg
S_patrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th September 2015, 15:55   #38
BHPian
 
winsler_srider's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Location: KL-07/KLIA
Posts: 70
Thanked: 61 Times
Unhappy Re: 1993 MM540 4X4 Restoration

Quote:
Originally Posted by S_patrick View Post
had a little trouble with the steering today... drove from one end of the empire parking lot in koramangla to the other end in 4wd through the slush n rains... the steering started to wobble only when i turn after that, n go zig-zag.... it was a little bumpy but not so bad... just got the death wobble corrected two weeks back... any suggestions?
Quote:
Originally Posted by S_patrick View Post
Got it checked at 3 different places Danush,
the first mechanic said that my tie end rods need to be changed because of a play thats developed, the second one, Sijo automobiles, said that my steering needs overhaulling, and when checked at BOLTON CONCEPTS, the mechanic said its a problem with my 4wd gearbox!

the problem: when turning in 4wd, the steering flips around swinging/turning left and right, problem does not occur in 2wd, though the steering flips a bit on an unlevelled road. also as pointed out, when the steering is turned to the maximum toward left or right, the steering box moves a bit forward.
problem started right after the jeep ran through a few ditches in 4wd high at about 30kmph max.
Hi Sachin,

Since its been a long time, you might have already fixed the issue with steering and might have been happily jeeping for all these time. explain how did you overcome the problem, same issue here.

regards,
winsler
winsler_srider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th December 2015, 11:59   #39
Newbie
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 24
Thanked: 0 Times
Default Re: 1993 MM540 4X4 Restoration

patrick, how much did the mechanic charge to get full body painted ? I have MM540 1991 which i am planning to get repainted to white/cream. Do PM me your number.
smreddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
MM540 2wd to MM540 4wd and Restoration Rajith 4x4 Vehicles 48 1st October 2015 23:45
Just great! Another rookie with a MM540 restoration .... coloneljasi 4x4 Vehicles 16 28th April 2012 09:07
Yamaha FZ or 1993 RE bullet restoration? drdeepudev Motorbikes 25 2nd October 2011 09:15
MM540-4WD wish list - what you really want in your MM540-4WD? DHABHAR.BEHRAM 4x4 Vehicles 299 7th January 2010 13:02


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 17:53.

Copyright 2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks