Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > 4x4 & Off-Roading > 4x4 Vehicles


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 25th May 2012, 19:30   #196
Senior - BHPian
 
madan80's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Santa Clara, CA
Posts: 1,356
Thanked: 73 Times
Default Re: Updated Mahindra Thar in 2-3 months. EDIT : Launched with Air-Con and immobilizer

I was checking out the Thar at Phoenix mall - there is some new dealership opened and they were displaying it there. It was really comfortable to sit inside, and being 6'3" i could fit in without any problems. I told the guy to call me and I wanted to take a test drive- I guess expecting anything less than 3 months for M&M to revert is asking too much! Lets see when they do call.
madan80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th May 2012, 13:37   #197
v&v
Senior - BHPian
 
v&v's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Delhi
Posts: 1,537
Thanked: 1,060 Times
Default Re: Updated Mahindra Thar in 2-3 months. EDIT : Launched with Air-Con and immobilizer

Did the TD of new Thar(red) today arranged by Koncept Automobiles. Driven around 1 hours at 1200 hrs. it was pretty hot outside and AC was tested for the Delhi heat. Must say was not chilling but was cooling enough. I think it will be effective with at good hardtop. TD was to check the feasibility for daily local use apart from my off-roading needs. Was partially satisfied. Security is a big concern. There will be times when it will be parked in open for weeks or months.

One has to to spice up the interiors as stock condition is pathetic. Hardtop is a must as it will insulate for noise & heat.. Overall satisfied with the TD. Planning to take a plunge.

Milky white has been discontinued. I was planning to pick Fiery Black. There is a waiting for 5 to 6 weeks. There are some colors available for immediate delivery.

Quot received :
Ex Showroom - 687373 Insurance : 28614 Reg : 66320 = Rs 782307/-

Last edited by v&v : 26th May 2012 at 13:44.
v&v is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 26th May 2012, 13:55   #198
BHPian
 
ADI_77's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Ahmedabad
Posts: 116
Thanked: 61 Times
Default Re: Updated Mahindra Thar in 2-3 months. EDIT : Launched with Air-Con and immobilizer

I had visited the Mahindra showroon (Punjab Auto) last week to enquire on fog lamps for my Scorpio. There was this red color THAR Crde on display, which had a real magnetic effect on me. It was the new model with AC & a basic sterio. I agree with v&v that the soft top is no good for security reasons, and also the heat getting in. Although I found the back front facing seats quite comfortable. The plastic quality especially the door handles look and feel really cheap. The delivery period for this model as per the showroom is 3.5 months.
ADI_77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th May 2012, 17:36   #199
BHPian
 
carrot_eater's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 171
Thanked: 100 Times
Default Re: Updated Mahindra Thar in 2-3 months. EDIT : Launched with Air-Con and immobilizer

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpbopanna View Post
When I inquired about the delivery status last Saturday (12-May), I was shocked to know that the delivery would only be in end May.

I escalated the issue to the Mahindra office where the concerned gentleman in fact spoke to Vinodh at Mumbai and requested him to do something about it.

Will keep you posted.
Hi Bopanna - I was wondering if you got the delivery of your Thar. if yes - please post pics and an initial review.

Cheers
carrot_eater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th May 2012, 12:11   #200
BHPian
 
cpbopanna's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 551
Thanked: 769 Times
Default Re: Updated Mahindra Thar in 2-3 months. EDIT : Launched with Air-Con and immobilizer

Quote:
Originally Posted by carrot_eater View Post
Hi Bopanna - I was wondering if you got the delivery of your Thar. if yes - please post pics and an initial review.

Cheers
Not as yet, Carrot Eater

I am following up with India Garage and Mahindra almost on a daily basis!
I have been given an option of Toreador Red for immediate delivery, as against almost 20 days for the Rocky Beige I have booked.

In the mean time, the rumoured Excise Duty hike on Diesel vehicles is worrying me.

Do you suggest I wait for the Rocky Beige or go in for the Toreador Red?

Regards,

Bopanna
cpbopanna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th May 2012, 17:28   #201
BHPian
 
carrot_eater's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 171
Thanked: 100 Times
Default Re: Updated Mahindra Thar in 2-3 months. EDIT : Launched with Air-Con and immobilizer

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpbopanna View Post
I have been given an option of Toreador Red for immediate delivery, as against almost 20 days for the Rocky Beige I have booked.

In the mean time, the rumoured Excise Duty hike on Diesel vehicles is worrying me.

Do you suggest I wait for the Rocky Beige or go in for the Toreador Red?
My suggestion - Wait !! I saw a Toreador Red at the IG at St. Marks Road - if they are offering that to you - most likely someone who had booked backed out. Not that - it changes anything - but personally I think you can wait for a month for the color you want.

The color will remain with you as long as you own the Thar - This one month's wait will be forgotten very soon - Meanwhile earn interest on the money that you have saved up for one more month - that should be a neat sum for a small party. I waited 4 months for my Thar and yes, I was offered Red and black once but I did not take it - and no regrets on that.

And about the Excise Duty - personally, given the state of the Indian economy, I doubt, it will be coming into effect so soon - the Auto manufactures have put in huge R&D money on Diesel engines and capacity expansion for diesel cars after the recent budget (M&M had announced 5000 crores investment on capacity expansion until FY 14 - just after the budget) - If I were you, I wouldn't be so worried about it - not in the short term.

Last edited by carrot_eater : 29th May 2012 at 17:41. Reason: -
carrot_eater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th May 2012, 00:01   #202
BHPian
 
Ksingh544's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Delhi, Jammu
Posts: 177
Thanked: 144 Times
Default Re: Updated Mahindra Thar in 2-3 months. EDIT : Launched with Air-Con and immobilizer

Quote:
Originally Posted by v&v View Post
Did the TD of new Thar(red) today arranged by Koncept Automobiles. Driven around 1 hours at 1200 hrs. it was pretty hot outside and AC was tested for the Delhi heat. Must say was not chilling but was cooling enough. I think it will be effective with at good hardtop. TD was to check the feasibility for daily local use apart from my off-roading needs. Was partially satisfied. Security is a big concern. There will be times when it will be parked in open for weeks or months.

One has to to spice up the interiors as stock condition is pathetic. Hardtop is a must as it will insulate for noise & heat.. Overall satisfied with the TD. Planning to take a plunge.

Milky white has been discontinued. I was planning to pick Fiery Black. There is a waiting for 5 to 6 weeks. There are some colors available for immediate delivery.

Quot received :
Ex Showroom - 687373 Insurance : 28614 Reg : 66320 = Rs 782307/-
Hi just wanted to check with you, you test drove the new upgraded Thar ? I've been following up with both Bhasin & Koncept and they keep saying they dont have TD vehicle. Infact the best Bhasin has offered is a delivery vehicle which is arriving on the 15th of June.

i work in a pvt multi national and am a suv/jeep nut, earlier drove a trax and now a scorpio. do you feel the thar is something that can be used by someone like me for everyday office drives & of course then all the highway driving & off road where it will excel.

look forward to your inputs

cheers

Kundan
Ksingh544 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th May 2012, 13:05   #203
BHPian
 
cpbopanna's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 551
Thanked: 769 Times
Default Re: Updated Mahindra Thar in 2-3 months. EDIT : Launched with Air-Con and immobilizer

Quote:
Originally Posted by carrot_eater View Post
My suggestion - Wait !! I saw a Toreador Red at the IG at St. Marks Road - if they are offering that to you - most likely someone who had booked backed out. Not that - it changes anything - but personally I think you can wait for a month for the color you want...If I were you, I wouldn't be so worried about it - not in the short term.
Thank you for your advice Carrot Eater.

I have decided to wait and this morning the local Mahindra Office confirmed that my Rocky Beige vehicle has been Invoiced at the factory, and if all goes well, I should be the proud owner of a Thar in the next 10 days!

Bopanna
cpbopanna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th May 2012, 13:48   #204
BHPian
 
carrot_eater's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 171
Thanked: 100 Times
Default Re: Updated Mahindra Thar in 2-3 months. EDIT : Launched with Air-Con and immobilizer

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpbopanna View Post
I have decided to wait and this morning the local Mahindra Office confirmed that my Rocky Beige vehicle has been Invoiced at the factory, and if all goes well, I should be the proud owner of a Thar in the next 10 days!
Thats good news !!. What are the mods planned. Tyres, power windows, ICE, lights , Brake upgrade.

Before the FF AC was out - The AC was probably the first thing on everyone's mind - including mine- with the AC behind me - I am awaiting Mr. Dhabar's instructions to upgrade the brakes. The brakes are awfully inadequate if you are the kind who will want to zoom over 100. I am not that kind but still find the brakes inadequate - sometimes.

I have not spent money on either ICE or power windows or key -less locking - waiting for brakes upgrade - I am told will cost around 30 K.

So 10 days uh! - Exciting times !! Have fun
carrot_eater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th May 2012, 13:58   #205
BHPian
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 103
Thanked: 31 Times
Default Re: Updated Mahindra Thar in 2-3 months. EDIT : Launched with Air-Con and immobilizer

Quote:
Originally Posted by carrot_eater View Post
I am awaiting Mr. Dhabar's instructions to upgrade the brakes. The brakes are awfully inadequate if you are the kind who will want to zoom over 100. I am not that kind but still find the brakes inadequate - sometimes.

I have not spent money on either ICE or power windows or key -less locking - waiting for brakes upgrade - I am told will cost around 30 K.
Now this makes me more confused. I haven't yet got a call for test drive from any of the dealers in Bangalore. I now assume that Mahindra wants us to buy Thar without a test drive. I would definitely like to test the brakes prior to buying this vehicle.

I am also assuming that the brakes are not yet fixed in the upgraded Thar. Well if there is a remedy as pointed out by you. Can you please specify what is that?
onesomeone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th May 2012, 14:49   #206
BHPian
 
cpbopanna's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 551
Thanked: 769 Times
Default Re: Updated Mahindra Thar in 2-3 months. EDIT : Launched with Air-Con and immobilizer

Quote:
Originally Posted by carrot_eater View Post
Thats good news !!. What are the mods planned. Tyres, power windows, ICE, lights , Brake upgrade.

Before the FF AC was out - The AC was probably the first thing on everyone's mind - including mine- with the AC behind me - I am awaiting Mr. Dhabar's instructions to upgrade the brakes. The brakes are awfully inadequate if you are the kind who will want to zoom over 100. I am not that kind but still find the brakes inadequate - sometimes.

I have not spent money on either ICE or power windows or key -less locking - waiting for brakes upgrade - I am told will cost around 30 K.

So 10 days uh! - Exciting times !! Have fun
Mods planned are as follows:

1) Brake upgrade - sent PM and have sought BD's advice, waiting for his reply
2) Alloys - EVO or the ones displayed in the Thar catalogue - I am particular about a slight negative offset since I am not too comfortable with the wheel-track differences
3) ICE - I have a 1995 model Sony/Pioneer combination that I have been using in my past 3 cars, I generally remove the ICE before I sell my cars and install them in my next vehicle!
4) Chrome-plated side foot-step (Mahindra)
5) Head-lamp grill (NO chaff screen)
6) Grab handles / Front and rear black-out lights (from ex-Military vehicles)
7) Hyderabad hard top (awaiting Faizal's final product)..until then, my Jeep will remain a soft-top. Bimbra's hard-top is conceptually okay, but I find it is too squarish compared to the ones found in the Mahindra Italy website.
8) Power windows, NO central lock - does not make sense for 2 doors
9) Reversing sensor with distance indicator on central rear-view mirror - I am addicted to it in my SX4!
10) Roll-over bar designed for the South African Thar, again waiting for BD's reply
10) Front seats will be relegated to the rear! For the front, I shall be using seats either from a Swift or a Verna.

This is just my wish-list. Hope to carry-out the mods gradually, as my finances permit!

Bopanna
cpbopanna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th May 2012, 16:58   #207
BHPian
 
carrot_eater's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 171
Thanked: 100 Times
Default Re: Updated Mahindra Thar in 2-3 months. EDIT : Launched with Air-Con and immobilizer

Quote:
Originally Posted by onesomeone View Post
I am also assuming that the brakes are not yet fixed in the upgraded Thar. Well if there is a remedy as pointed out by you. Can you please specify what is that?
Of what little, I know, I was told that the brakes need to be replaced to replicate the similar brakes - what Scorpio has. Don't have more details than that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpbopanna View Post
This is just my wish-list. Hope to carry-out the mods gradually, as my finances
Bopanna
Wow! that's a long list !! And any Particular reason for NO Chaff Screen - I thought it was highly recommended to protect the inter-cooler from small flying stones / insects clogging it up.

Last edited by carrot_eater : 30th May 2012 at 17:02.
carrot_eater is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 30th May 2012, 17:12   #208
v&v
Senior - BHPian
 
v&v's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Delhi
Posts: 1,537
Thanked: 1,060 Times
Default Re: Updated Mahindra Thar in 2-3 months. EDIT : Launched with Air-Con and immobilizer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ksingh544 View Post
Hi just wanted to check with you, you test drove the new upgraded Thar ? I've been following up with both Bhasin & Koncept and they keep saying they dont have TD vehicle. Infact the best Bhasin has offered is a delivery vehicle which is arriving on the 15th of June.

i work in a pvt multi national and am a suv/jeep nut, earlier drove a trax and now a scorpio. do you feel the thar is something that can be used by someone like me for everyday office drives & of course then all the highway driving & off road where it will excel.

look forward to your inputs

cheers

Kundan
Kundan , IMO is suitable for offroading and good for city drives. Hardtop is a must to make AC effective. You will not get the comfort of an SUV.
Also there is lot of rattle and NVH are high.

I will not use it for highway driving (longish) , i was not at all comfortable at higher speeds and ride too was bumpy. But must say the engine response is very good , city driving is very easy.

All said, I am going ahead with the buy.

Last edited by v&v : 30th May 2012 at 17:13.
v&v is online now   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 31st May 2012, 14:40   #209
BHPian
 
cpbopanna's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 551
Thanked: 769 Times
Default Re: Updated Mahindra Thar in 2-3 months. EDIT : Launched with Air-Con and immobilizer

Quote:
Originally Posted by carrot_eater View Post
And any Particular reason for NO Chaff Screen - I thought it was highly recommended to protect the inter-cooler from small flying stones / insects clogging it up.
I had a Chaff Screen in my old CJ-340, somehow did not like the 'Military Police Jeep' kind of look.

I personally prefer the 7-toothed grill of the Jeep

However, considering that the Chaff Screen is desirable from a practical angle, I may consider fitting it inside the grill (suitably modified - of course)!!
cpbopanna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd June 2012, 13:50   #210
Distinguished - BHPian
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: MUMBAI
Posts: 3,059
Thanked: 4,571 Times
Default Re: Updated Mahindra Thar in 2-3 months. EDIT : Launched with Air-Con and immobilizer

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpbopanna View Post
1) Brake upgrade - sent PM and have sought BD's advice, waiting for his reply
Dear cpbopanna - I have replied in the official Thar test thread. Request you to please refer there.

Best regards,

Behram Dhabhar
DHABHAR.BEHRAM is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Air Con making noise!! Shan2nu Technical Stuff 29 25th September 2015 04:30
Air-con: Center vents throwing out warmer air than side vents? 90Horses Technical Stuff 82 7th July 2015 16:03
Double air-con for the Innova? EDIT : Pics uploaded GTO Technical Stuff 28 8th October 2013 00:59
My Companion...'90 Mahindra CJ340 (with air-con) Suresh Stephen 4x4 Vehicles 12 27th December 2012 22:07
Air-con woes and Nightmare! rider60 Technical Stuff 31 5th December 2011 12:17


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 17:47.

Copyright 2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks