Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > 4x4 & Off-Roading > 4x4 Vehicles


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 2nd April 2012, 04:06   #16
BHPian
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: B'lor, Brussels
Posts: 50
Thanked: 14 Times
Default Re: Impulsive Decision- Thar crde 1st service report

I think this is one of the best Thar mods i have come across in the recent past. Great going bro. Looking forward to see the mods in the pipeline. Hope you do it soon - especially the front facing rear seat. By when are you planning the rest of the mods?

@DB sir, regarding the tail lamp - how did safari pass the famous CMRV test? If TATA can do, why couldn't M&M? IMHO if one needs, there is always a way out. But I think M&M decided to keep all the design intact in order to keep the costs low (read as milking high profits from passionate customers - after all, M&M is in this business to make money).
kryogesh is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 4th April 2012, 19:25   #17
BHPian
 
Car-e-ok's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: New Orleans
Posts: 222
Thanked: 20 Times
Default Re: Impulsive Decision- Thar crde 1st service report

Quote:
Originally Posted by kryogesh View Post
I think this is one of the best Thar mods i have come across in the recent past. Great going bro. Looking forward to see the mods in the pipeline. Hope you do it soon - especially the front facing rear seat. By when are you planning the rest of the mods?

@DB sir, regarding the tail lamp - how did safari pass the famous CMRV test? If TATA can do, why couldn't M&M? IMHO if one needs, there is always a way out. But I think M&M decided to keep all the design intact in order to keep the costs low (read as milking high profits from passionate customers - after all, M&M is in this business to make money).
Hi, Thank you for the appreciation.Right now i am out of the country at the moment. I will be back on 1st May and will start working on the rest of the mods. I just finished ordering myself wrangler side view mirrors and rocker type switches. Hopefully they will arrive chandigarh before me and i can get them installed. Then much awaited tire and rim upgrade will follow . As far as rear front facing seat is concerned i was very impressed with the rear seat of new xylo which folds exactly like the last row seat of endeavour. Hopefully i will be able to get that. I will also change the driver and passenger seat with something more comfy. Any suggestions and sources are welcomed.
Car-e-ok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th April 2012, 20:17   #18
BHPian
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: B'lor, Brussels
Posts: 50
Thanked: 14 Times
Default Re: Impulsive Decision- Thar crde 1st service report

@ Car-e-ok: I found 2 links

1) Link1 (Tharred and Feathered - BlackStarr arrives)
2) Link2 (Mahindra Thar Crde - home at last.)

You should get some ideas with this for your rear seat. My preference is 2nd one. Hope this helps.
Cheers,
Y
kryogesh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th July 2012, 01:11   #19
BHPian
 
Car-e-ok's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: New Orleans
Posts: 222
Thanked: 20 Times
Default Re: Impulsive Decision- Thar crde 1st service report

Hi,
I had been away from Team-BHP for a while therefore i could'nt post updates. But good news is i kept my set of modifications going in last 2 months to get close to what i had imagined. The moment i came back to india my Wrangler side mirrors arrived followed my rocker type toggle switches. I got snorkel installed as well . Some of the pics of snorkel installation.
Impulsive Decision- Thar crde 1st service report-img2012051700209.jpg

Impulsive Decision- Thar crde 1st service report-img2012051700211.jpg

Impulsive Decision- Thar crde 1st service report-img2012051700203.jpg

Next add on was lights. I wanted to install some long range lights as i was not happy with the stock lights. I tried hellas and really liked them. They are long range but the light scatters , the longer the beam goes. And i wanted spot lights sort of feel . I knew this is the time to shed extra money and order KC hilites from amazon. I am very happy the overall performance of the lights. I had to get the brackets made locally as the mounting brackets that comes with these are wrangler specific , Therefore i did not wanted to spend extra money on a thing that can be custom made. Some of the pics of the lights.
Impulsive Decision- Thar crde 1st service report-img2012060600323.jpg

Impulsive Decision- Thar crde 1st service report-img2012060600326.jpg

With the Jeep wrangler LED lights in the rear. I was badly in need of rear bumper that has the indicators as i did not liked the idea of using reverse lights as indicator and no lights to blink while reversing. Once i got the bumper ,that problem was solved.
Impulsive Decision- Thar crde 1st service report-img2012062700371.jpg

I was on a lookout for limbwire/bushwire for a long time and then i saw update on facebook of swastikfabs regarding the bushwire. I bought it just because i thought it will look good on thar. Although i was right and it does look good but still i would not suggest it . Its very sharp and its a weapon while on road. Offroading wise i have tried it , It is good on elephant grass and keep them away from windshield but not that they were causing problems before without bushwire. But the last thing you want is to be driving on a road at 60/70 speeds and hit a motorist . Where there is a bit of likelihood of somebody surviving , It would cut it straight away final destination types.
Impulsive Decision- Thar crde 1st service report-img2012070400425.jpg


Some more mods to follow.Watch this space.

Regards,
Kunal Walia
Car-e-ok is offline   (4) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 11th July 2012, 09:34   #20
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: DL9C
Posts: 2,385
Thanked: 1,983 Times
Default Re: Impulsive Decision- Thar crde 1st service report

Quote:
Originally Posted by Car-e-ok View Post
Hi,
I had been away from Team-BHP for a while therefore i could'nt post updates. But good news is i kept my set of modifications going in last 2 months to get close to what i had imagined. ....
Very thoughtful mods Kunal! Sure makes the Thar a lot better to look at. The Wrangler tailights were a direct fit or did you tinker with something (drilling a few holes etc.) ? Same question for the number plate, and is it 'stuck' or 'bolted' ?
Dry Ice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th July 2012, 17:19   #21
BHPian
 
Car-e-ok's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: New Orleans
Posts: 222
Thanked: 20 Times
Default Re: Impulsive Decision- Thar crde 1st service report

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dry Ice View Post
Very thoughtful mods Kunal! Sure makes the Thar a lot better to look at. The Wrangler tailights were a direct fit or did you tinker with something (drilling a few holes etc.) ? Same question for the number plate, and is it 'stuck' or 'bolted' ?
We had to drill 2 extra set of holes in order to accomodate wrangler lights The whole idea was to shift the light as high up as possible so that number plate can fit underneath. I had to get rid of the underline chrome strip of thar sticker to make an extra inch of space. Just in case you would like to install it you have to bear two things in mind. Every single time anybody gets from the back you have to make it as a habbit to come and check as you can easily break the lights by opening the rear door as it messes with the extra tyre. To add on to that these lights bulge out quite a lot . If you hit the wall while reversing or anything the first thing to take an impact is the light. Stock bumper comes late.
Impulsive Decision- Thar crde 1st service report-546736_3669984822005_1046372005_33457113_731446686_n.jpg
Car-e-ok is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 11th July 2012, 17:46   #22
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: DL9C
Posts: 2,385
Thanked: 1,983 Times
Default Re: Impulsive Decision- Thar crde 1st service report

Fantastic pic, this one!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Car-e-ok View Post
.... you have to bear two things in mind. Every single time anybody gets from the back you have to make it as a habbit to come and check as you can easily break the lights by opening the rear door as it messes with the extra tyre. To add on to that these lights bulge out quite a lot . If you hit the wall while reversing or anything the first thing to take an impact is the light. Stock bumper comes late.
That's a bummer! :(

You be careful man. I guess the worst part is, if one breaks them, the replacement can take weeks to arrive! Recessed lights would have been perfect, but then that would need extensive modification to the panels.
Dry Ice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th July 2012, 10:49   #23
Distinguished - BHPian
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: MUMBAI
Posts: 3,059
Thanked: 4,571 Times
Default Re: Impulsive Decision- Thar crde 1st service report

Dear Kunal - hello after a long time. Can you please post some photographs of the snorkel connection to the air cleaner. It needs to be done correctly otherwise it will affect engine performance.

Best regards,

Behram Dhabhar
DHABHAR.BEHRAM is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 26th July 2012, 19:10   #24
BHPian
 
Car-e-ok's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: New Orleans
Posts: 222
Thanked: 20 Times
Default Re: Impulsive Decision- Thar crde 1st service report

Quote:
Originally Posted by DHABHAR.BEHRAM View Post
Dear Kunal - hello after a long time. Can you please post some photographs of the snorkel connection to the air cleaner. It needs to be done correctly otherwise it will affect engine performance.

Best regards,

Behram Dhabhar
Hello sir,
First of all my appologies to reply a bit late, i was not keeping up with my thread but now i am back. It is always a privilege to get attention from you to my thread. Now that i am getting more and more familiar with thar , it is also increasing my curiosity to ask lots of stupid questions to you. Before i start anything i would like to add pics of snorkel pipe connections with the air filter. I tried to click pics in a way that the joints are visible . Just let me know if you need more detailed pics .
Attached Thumbnails
Impulsive Decision- Thar crde 1st service report-img2012072600507.jpg  

Impulsive Decision- Thar crde 1st service report-img2012072600508.jpg  

Impulsive Decision- Thar crde 1st service report-img2012072600509.jpg  

Impulsive Decision- Thar crde 1st service report-img2012072600510.jpg  

Car-e-ok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th July 2012, 09:47   #25
Distinguished - BHPian
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: MUMBAI
Posts: 3,059
Thanked: 4,571 Times
Default Re: Impulsive Decision- Thar crde 1st service report

Dear Kunal - thanks for the pictures. This snorkel will not work. See the last photograph. You have inserted one rubber hose inside another rubber hose and tightened with a clip. Even if you have a metal pipe inside (highly unlikely), this arrangement is not correct and water will certainly seep through. Please get it corrected, as this is what garages tend to do. You must remove the snorkel out of the vehicle and leak test it outside to ensure that the internals remain bone dry. There is no other way. Also, dirty hose length is too long. Pressure drop across snorkel inlet to air cleaner inlet must be minimum. If not so, engine performance shall get affected. NEF engine is very sensitive to these parameters.

Best regards,

Behram Dhabhar
DHABHAR.BEHRAM is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 28th July 2012, 17:46   #26
BHPian
 
Car-e-ok's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: New Orleans
Posts: 222
Thanked: 20 Times
Default Re: Impulsive Decision- Thar crde 1st service report

Quote:
Originally Posted by DHABHAR.BEHRAM View Post
Dear Kunal - thanks for the pictures. This snorkel will not work. See the last photograph. You have inserted one rubber hose inside another rubber hose and tightened with a clip. Even if you have a metal pipe inside (highly unlikely), this arrangement is not correct and water will certainly seep through. Please get it corrected, as this is what garages tend to do. You must remove the snorkel out of the vehicle and leak test it outside to ensure that the internals remain bone dry. There is no other way. Also, dirty hose length is too long. Pressure drop across snorkel inlet to air cleaner inlet must be minimum. If not so, engine performance shall get affected. NEF engine is very sensitive to these parameters.

Best regards,

Behram Dhabhar
Hi sir,

Thank you for the pointers. While the work was in progress i noticed that rubber hose was used just as a link up and metal pipe was used overall . Therefore rubber hose is used against metal and tightened with the clip. Attaching a pic of the work in progress , the metal pipe seen is the picture is the pipe in question i reckon .
Impulsive Decision- Thar crde 1st service report-img2012051700204.jpg

Having said that i must admit that i should leak test it to ensure all the connections are absolutely hugging each other. However this increases my curiosity to know that whether there would have been an alternate way to install the snorkel with less corners and lesser length of pipe. Pardon my ignorance but i gave it a second look to apply combinations on what is an optimum route to follow but i could not see any alternate route. May be i need to check and ask other people how did they installed it and what route they followed.
Once i get the snorkel out of the way i have got more questions coming to you . I downgraded my rim size to 15 inch with steel rims. And upgraded my tyres to 31x10.5xR15. While running around trying to see what i can do to get a little bit of clearance i happen to meet a fellow offroader who told me that he had a word with you and you told him that torsion bar should not be raised more than 1-1.5inch from stock level. After that cut everything that touches the tire. I believe it now as i raised it a lot just out of curiosity to check the vehicle behaviour. Anything above 40kmph was beyond my control and it was wobbly as hell. Anyways i am back to stock now.

Last edited by Car-e-ok : 28th July 2012 at 17:51.
Car-e-ok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th July 2012, 09:10   #27
Distinguished - BHPian
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: MUMBAI
Posts: 3,059
Thanked: 4,571 Times
Default Re: Impulsive Decision- Thar crde 1st service report

Quote:
Originally Posted by Car-e-ok View Post
This increases my curiosity to know that whether there would have been an alternate way to install the snorkel with less corners and lesser length of pipe. Pardon my ignorance but i gave it a second look to apply combinations on what is an optimum route to follow but i could not see any alternate route. May be i need to check and ask other people how did they installed it and what route they followed.
Once i get the snorkel out of the way i have got more questions coming to you. I downgraded my rim size to 15 inch with steel rims. And upgraded my tyres to 31x10.5xR15. While running around trying to see what i can do to get a little bit of clearance i happen to meet a fellow offroader who told me that he had a word with you and you told him that torsion bar should not be raised more than 1-1.5inch from stock level. After that cut everything that touches the tire. I believe it now as i raised it a lot just out of curiosity to check the vehicle behaviour. Anything above 40kmph was beyond my control and it was wobbly as hell. Anyways i am back to stock now.
Dear Kunal - my replies are as follows:

Snorkel - please check the connection that I have mentioned physically. I can say with 99% confidence that it is rubber hose on rubber hose only. Correct if required. For snorkel orientation, it is extremely simple. Turn the air cleaner around by 180 degrees so that its inlet faces backwards instead of forwards, make a hole in the firewall and take the dirty hose inside the driver compartment or route it to the existing external snorkel. It is done by Speedy in his Thar CRDe in Mumbai. You can send him a PM if you want more information. You can ask Swastikviji also. .

Tires - it is good of you to listen, understand and implement, coming back to production system. 15 inch wheels will prevent you from upgrading to twin pot caliper if you feel the need to do so. I once again urge you not to deviate from production setting of torsion bar. The car is very powerful, therefore its handling (especially single lane change at high speed on expressway) is of utmost importance and should not be compromised.

Best regards,

Behram Dhabhar
DHABHAR.BEHRAM is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 23rd March 2014, 00:04   #28
Newbie
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Pune, Seattle
Posts: 6
Thanked: 0 Times
Default Re: Impulsive Decision- Thar crde 1st service report

I had just given my Thar CRDe for its first service and i did not have any specific repairs or replacements to be done. Just the usual fluid replacements. Arent those supposed to be totally free of charge? I just got a bill worth INR 4600 for some fluids [gear fluid, coolant, brake fluid etc...]. What does it mean when one says a free service? I am waiting for Monday when I can give the supervisor at the service station in Swargate Pune a piece of my mind as they are closed for the weekend. I was told that this would be a free service and I even received an SMS stating the same. This is atrocious. On one hand, I am told that I do not have to pay and on the other I am given a bill of around INR 4600.
Does a free service mean that its just the labour charges that are deducted?
I could use some info on this.

Thank you.
bigfootraj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd March 2014, 12:09   #29
BHPian
 
Safari_Beast's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Faridabad
Posts: 282
Thanked: 195 Times
Default Re: Impulsive Decision- Thar crde 1st service report

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigfootraj View Post
I had just given my Thar CRDe for its first service and i did not have any specific repairs or replacements to be done. Just the usual fluid replacements. Arent those supposed to be totally free of charge? I just got a bill worth INR 4600 for some fluids [gear fluid, coolant, brake fluid etc...]. What does it mean when one says a free service? I am waiting for Monday when I can give the supervisor at the service station in Swargate Pune a piece of my mind as they are closed for the weekend. I was told that this would be a free service and I even received an SMS stating the same. This is atrocious. On one hand, I am told that I do not have to pay and on the other I am given a bill of around INR 4600.
Does a free service mean that its just the labour charges that are deducted?
I could use some info on this.

Thank you.
Hello bigfootraj

Free service means that you will not be charged labour fee but any fluid changes which are being done is chargeable . This is how all car manufacturer's do , labour charge is only waived off .
Safari_Beast is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
An impulsive buy- 1999 Mahindra Classic; Now Sold. Another project now in the offing! Tejas@perioimpl 4x4 Vehicles 537 19th December 2015 22:22
An Impulsive Decision: My VW Polo 1.6 the_skyliner Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports 23 29th December 2013 01:49
crde vs non crde trinadha The Indian Car Scene 8 7th March 2006 11:21


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 19:42.

Copyright 2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks