Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > 4x4 & Off-Roading > 4x4 Vehicles

Old 3rd May 2012, 21:01   #61
BHPian

Default Re: Evolution of my Jeep Rubicon

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrayBerry View Post
Hi Gujarati,
Awesome Jeep my friend. You have customized to you needs, nice. I am glued to your thread.
Question: How would you compare coil Vs leaf spring for on-road performance? I understand that you never had leaf spring in your jeep, just in case if you had driven a leaf spring set up.
Thanks in advance
Garry,
I have few friends that wheel old Wrangler YJs with me and few CJs. Consensus is coils springs are better. Leaf springs are great for carrying lot of load. Like my Ford Superduty truck is 4x4 and it has leaf springs in the back. Even the most modern trucks that are designed to carry or pull load depend on leaf springs.
Third option probably most expensive and great for going fast offroad is coil over suspension system.

Last edited by Gujarati : 3rd May 2012 at 21:02.
Gujarati is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 23rd May 2012, 12:23   #62
BHPian

Upgraded my headlights to LED projection.
Attached Thumbnails
Evolution of my Jeep Rubicon-50c08ebd.jpg  

Gujarati is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd May 2012, 14:03   #63
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gujarati View Post
Upgraded my headlights to LED projection.
Looks Nice. How effective are these compared to the stock lights and are these approved for on-road use? Also, please share the link to where these lights can be purchased in the US.
BlackRaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd May 2012, 14:54   #64
Senior - BHPian

Need a better pic please. And is this a direct fit (size/wiring - relays, etc?).
svsantosh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th May 2012, 03:34   #65
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackRaven View Post
Looks Nice. How effective are these compared to the stock lights and are these approved for on-road use? Also, please share the link to where these lights can be purchased in the US.
Thanks, there is a night and day difference. These are way better, looks like HID lights and kinda daylight type of color. It is fully DOT approved so no issues there.

Here is the best place to buy them:
J.W. Speaker Model 8700 LED High/Low Beam 7" Round Headlight

Quote:
Originally Posted by svsantosh View Post
Need a better pic please. And is this a direct fit (size/wiring - relays, etc?).
Not sure what you mean by better pics, but here are few other pics I took. All the pictures were taken during night and those are the only once I have right now. These are direct fitment, basically plug and play. Size, wires, connectors everything. Works like a charm.
Attached Thumbnails
Evolution of my Jeep Rubicon-b2697427.jpg  

Evolution of my Jeep Rubicon-d7a1cadd.jpg  

Evolution of my Jeep Rubicon-b496636f.jpg  

Evolution of my Jeep Rubicon-d8098e90.jpg  

Evolution of my Jeep Rubicon-95638ba9.jpg  

Evolution of my Jeep Rubicon-bd896a56.jpg  

Evolution of my Jeep Rubicon-e4fa0c55.jpg  

Gujarati is offline   (3) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 24th May 2012, 08:11   #66
BANNED

Quote:
Wow not a single comment or question on the CV style axle shafts in a Dana 44
Dont be disheartened ! I Have a LOT to ask/discuss with you .
whats happening is every time I decide to ask/discuss/comment on any thing ,the next LOT of pics & info comes in & then it takes time to digest

In short you are presently giving too much food to think ( more the merrier) & I am learning from it .Also pics are quite informative so less remains to ask for

There is another reason for less comments , your model of Jeep is not familiar to us ,we are used to the MM & Maruti (Suzuki ) 4x4 here , so naturally the queries will be less .

But cheers , you have done a wonderful job of sharing it here ( without any thing covered/ hidden )

I congratulate you for this open attitude you have , please share more --this IS a wonderful thread

regards
Sudarshan
Sudarshan is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 24th May 2012, 10:08   #67
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Next upgrade was the front Dana 44 axle. The Dana 44 axle is strong but it still breaks especially when you are in a crazy situation (with or without lockers on and turning) and the joints are binding.

Here is a picture taken from JP Magazine.
Attachment 914984

So I upgraded the front Dana 44 axle with chromoly CV axles.
Hi Gujarati,

Have you converted the front Knuckles to Full-Floating/Double Wheel Bearing Setup.

The CV style axles, will definitely reduce transmission wind up. But I doubt if they are stronger than a regular Cardan/Cross Axle Shaft.

Regards,

Arka
ex670c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th May 2012, 11:06   #68
BHPian

Congrats ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! You have achieved what few do. I can imagine the thrill and excitement you must have felt driving those roads. (not sure if I should call them roads

And yes, Amazing pictures.
Rastapopoulos is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 25th May 2012, 09:31   #69
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sudarshan View Post
Dont be disheartened ! I Have a LOT to ask/discuss with you .
whats happening is every time I decide to ask/discuss/comment on any thing ,the next LOT of pics & info comes in & then it takes time to digest

In short you are presently giving too much food to think ( more the merrier) & I am learning from it .Also pics are quite informative so less remains to ask for

There is another reason for less comments , your model of Jeep is not familiar to us ,we are used to the MM & Maruti (Suzuki ) 4x4 here , so naturally the queries will be less .

But cheers , you have done a wonderful job of sharing it here ( without any thing covered/ hidden )

I congratulate you for this open attitude you have , please share more --this IS a wonderful thread

regards
Sudarshan
Thanks Sudarshan for the kind words. I think Jeeps are Jeeps, whether Mahindra or Wranglers. The only issue in India is availability of the aftermarket parts and the R&D that goes into it. There is no organized industry for it. I think slowly some of the outside big players are starting to focus on Indian market. Just reading and seeing various builds here I see so much changing and so much more potential. I think if offroader understand the few basics of building a true rock crawler Mahindra can be a great platform.

As I have earlier promised i will create another thread where I will post some pictures and videos from my friends who are way more hardcore offroaders than I am as they don't care if they flop and break their Jeeps.

They all run 35 or larger tires and unbelievable amount of money has been spent in some of those Jeeps.

I think Mahindras need a little more lift, may be a little cutting and bigger tires. Also not sure if most people disconnect their sway bars in India. i never take my Jeep off road without disconnecting my sway bar in the front.

Regearing your axles for proper tire size, lockers, transfer case with better crawl ratio etc would go a long ways.

BTW those headlights that i installed on the Jeep would i think also fit your Land Rover. What a beautiful truck you have there.

Here is a pic of them on a newer Defender:
Evolution of my Jeep Rubicon-img_0105.jpg

Quote:
Originally Posted by ex670c View Post
Hi Gujarati,

Have you converted the front Knuckles to Full-Floating/Double Wheel Bearing Setup.

The CV style axles, will definitely reduce transmission wind up. But I doubt if they are stronger than a regular Cardan/Cross Axle Shaft.

Regards,

Arka
Arka I think you are talking about the hubs. I have not done a hub conversion on my factory Jeep Rubicon Dana 44 axles. There is not a very good way to do that other than cutting those axles up and building custom axles. I think there were some kits that were introduced in the market but I don't think they worked very well. At least they are not very popular and i don't see them around. And i see lot of Jeeps every month at various events. The factory axles are super stout once you change to chromoly axle shafts.

On CV style axles not being stronger than regular U-joint style: My experience says they are way stronger but your experience with them might be different.
Here is the company website and various applications they are being used for.
Some of my friends and I have had them for 2 plus years. We love it. RCV is the company name and they are so confident of their product they give you free lifetime replacement warranty. Regardless of how you use or abuse them, no questions asked you send them back and you get a brand new set. They are certainly not cheap even from US standard and not everybody runs them. Most people in US will not spend $1000 on axle shafts. But I am yet to meet a person who is using it and has not been happy with or has anything to complain about these.

RCV Off-Road Performance Products - CV Joints, Axle Kits, Tools

Best regards,

Last edited by Gujarati : 25th May 2012 at 09:42.
Gujarati is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 3rd July 2012, 09:46   #70
BHPian

Installed a new Kenwood head unit in the Jeep:
Attached Thumbnails
Evolution of my Jeep Rubicon-268be77b.jpg  

Evolution of my Jeep Rubicon-3456e7d8.jpg  

Old 3rd July 2012, 10:38   #71
Senior - BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

I have been a silent watcher here but i guess its time to say it. AWESOME machine out there. Wanted to get a bike which was stuck down then a jeep which would be a bad option in phoenix as the only vehicle! Maybe soon though

Please keep posting as the more i see your Jeep the more i am loving it.

Last query: Is there an offroad season or is it year round?
maddy42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd July 2012, 10:56   #72
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by maddy42 View Post
I have been a silent watcher here but i guess its time to say it. AWESOME machine out there. Wanted to get a bike which was stuck down then a jeep which would be a bad option in phoenix as the only vehicle! Maybe soon though

Please keep posting as the more i see your Jeep the more i am loving it.

Last query: Is there an offroad season or is it year round?
Thank you!! There is really no offroad season. Most people enjoy offroading year round. Some like winters better and some can brave the summers. I go to cooler place like Colorado in summer. Usually for about 10 days. Park the tow rig and trailer once I reach there and use the Jeep rest of the time.
Gujarati is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 27th March 2013, 19:53   #73
BHPian

Added some event pics to the excursion section:

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/4x4-ex...ml#post3078316 (My local Jeep Club run to Barnwell Mountain (USA))
Gujarati is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th April 2013, 09:33   #74
BHPian

Was having some issues with my factory OEM alternator so decided it was time for an upgrade. I did not want to take the risk of Jeep not starting and me getting stuck on some trail. Also the Warn 9.5ti Winch draws a decent power and stock alternator can be too little if you have to Winch anymore than a small "get me out situation".

The OEM alternator was 12V 117AMP
Evolution of my Jeep Rubicon-e0ccf59d25f14ed88fa32a6a246824059954000008469970b41c_zps495fda0a.jpg

There were 3-5 upgrade options but I decided to go with a local company that gives lifetime warranty on their alternators and has a very good reputation with local racers and custom shops . This one increases the output to 165AMP. It also cost twice as much as the factory but the factory one does not come with lifetime warranty. Also this one was the cheapest and best alternative in all upgrade options.

I had to upgrade the power cable (from the alternator to the battery) to higher gauge (4 gauge). One of my buddies came over to give me a hand even though it is really one man job. It helps having friends that are 6.3' - 6.4' tall when you have lifted Jeeps and trucks. If I do it by myself I have a special step stool I am 5.9 and it is pain in the butt to work on lifted Jeeps and trucks. It is all more difficult when you have to work with a heavy part making sure you don't drop it in the bay.

Here are the pics of new alternator going in and finished job. It only took about 20 mins including cleaning up the wiring and installing the new power cable.

Evolution of my Jeep Rubicon-7f17463e45fc46b98c64751d5c837de29954000008468797ae6a_zps9d1205ac.jpg

Evolution of my Jeep Rubicon-51fcc9492c4e4cedb272ee373d790486995400000846806541bc_zpsb8602df0.jpg

Name:  6B76836CA0E8492D8EEDD990B3DAE88C99540000084676DBB07D_zps18dd3afc.jpg
Views: 1265
Size:  115.0 KB

After we finished installing the alternator we went ahead and did the annual alignment check up. Again an one man job but you need someone to hold the tape measure on the other end. Previously my 8 year old daughter has helped me with that as well.
Alignment was perfect just needed to adjust the steering wheel a little so did that by adjusting the drag link. Took the Jeep out for a quick test drive picked up some chicken tacos for everyone for lunch.

Last edited by Gujarati : 7th April 2013 at 09:44.
Gujarati is offline   (3) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 9th June 2014, 08:30   #75
BHPian

Evolution of my Jeep Rubicon-imageuploadedbyteambhp1402282790.989845.jpg

Update coming soon ;-)