Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > 4x4 & Off-Roading > 4x4 Vehicles

Old 16th June 2009, 16:58   #931
vak
BHPian

I think it is difficult to get a brand new PTO winch in the market especially for smaller 4x4s. Even in markets like Dubai, most of the vehicles have converted to electric or hydraulic winches. I was looking for a used PTO winch when I was in Dubai last December (something similar to the pto winch fitted in Toyota BJ 40 in the below picture). But couldn't find one.

I talked to some auto accessory dealers, they said that no one is making a dedicated pto winch for a 4x4 at present, and you wont find a brand new PTO winch off-the-shelf. But you can customise one from small industrial winches.
Attached Thumbnails
Trax Gurkha - As good as it gets??-toyota-lc-40series-17.jpg  

vak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th June 2009, 00:55   #932
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhandle View Post
Hi Ashu. If you want a Gurkha this one is as excellent as any other. After waiting for 3 years and talking from director level to down the peon level after 2 years I did put my foot down and got this. Trust me with its low end torque it would not disappoint you. Any ways beggars are not choosers.

BTW I just came back from Gangtok today. This drive was right after my Mumbai/Pune drive. Planning a report on that. Spent 6 days in my village in Bihar, where almost everyday I had to off-road forcefully 20 kms to get to city and Gurkha really did surprise me. It was all slush because of rains and at one place it just came out with ease thanks to the "Brahma Astra" Diff. Locks !

There were certain more issues identified, which I would let all know along with pics in my thread.

I would be adding few more things and most of the points you have raised are very valid and important.

I am not sure why all people are calling Gurkha expensive. I guess it's worth its price in every sense.

FOr example lets compare it with Bolero for which I was told the price for 2wd version was around 6.5 lakhs.

Now think of Gurkha:

1.OEM DIFF. LOCK company fitted - Approx 35 -40K
2. PTO in Gwagen they are costing about Euro 1500
3. 3 lakhs kms warranty - extended warranty would cost in any other car, and then also you wont get it for 3 lakhs km.
4. 12 free services. If we count KM wise then I get free service for upto 87500 kms or time wise for one and half years. Take this in to consideration.
5. Now consider the looks you gain whenever you move, people coming and asking you about the car. I had had my fair share of experiences from one Land cruiser guy rolling down his windows to chek it out to me telling certain people that Snorkel is actually an exhaust and the vehicle is actually a modified TRACTOR! Even if you consider that every look you get which boost your ego is worth 10 paise, very soon you would have made up for the loss you think you made by paying for this vehicle!

Besides do not forget about the engine and gearbox build!

So it is in comparison equivalent to 2wd Bolero price.

Get it drive it and then only one would know. To each man his own machine!
Hi Rahul, I agree with you the current gurkha model is the best vehicle available i have been waiting for the IDI as well. I would be buying a IDI vehicle first then few months down the line go for the Gurkha, I was hoping for the CRDI it would be atleast a year from now to be available on Gurkha.

If you compare it with Bolero, the features available are best in its class and bolero is no match for it. Considering the price tag a little steep but will do.

Quote:
Originally Posted by onlinestuffa View Post
Hope your effort will pay off.
Here is my list (based on one drive in rhandle's Gurkha):

1. LWB Gurkha/Gamma/Judo, 4 (i.e. 5) door, PS, AC, 4WD, differential locks, turbo engine (don't mind TD 2650 or OM 611 as long as they can be registered privately).

2. Heating option with AC. Preferably temperature control.

3. Improvement of interior ergonomics - placement of window lever is currently very odd. Better seating would be welcome.

4. Options like intermittent wipe, anti glare rearview which are not difficult to incorporate.

5. Roof ceiling requires some padding to avoid head bumps.

6. Better rubber seals and fitments to avoid rattling.

7. Better after sales service (AFS) and better informed dealers (is that asking too much?)

8. I would be comfortable with on road price of about 7 lakhs.

Will you please keep me posted if you are successful with Force Motors?

Thx!
Hey wil keep your requirement in mind hope so they are accepted soon.
ashu_82_2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th June 2009, 01:36   #933
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by landaracingteam View Post
HI ashu how do you post pics?

Hey in the Forum there is a section Announcements there you will find details on how to upload pictures.

some pictures of trax & gwagon. The red one is Trax Judo its in Armenia.
Attached Images

Old 18th June 2009, 01:59   #934
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vak View Post
I think it is difficult to get a brand new PTO winch in the market especially for smaller 4x4s. Even in markets like Dubai, most of the vehicles have converted to electric or hydraulic winches. I was looking for a used PTO winch when I was in Dubai last December (something similar to the pto winch fitted in Toyota BJ 40 in the below picture). But couldn't find one.

I talked to some auto accessory dealers, they said that no one is making a dedicated pto winch for a 4x4 at present, and you wont find a brand new PTO winch off-the-shelf. But you can customise one from small industrial winches.
Very True. When I booked my Gurkha, I was searching for a PTO winch and the only new ones I could find were huge ones for commercial/military truck applications.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashu_82_2001 View Post

some pictures of trax & gwagon. The red one is Trax Judo its in Armenia.
Wish they had stuck with the round headlights. I think the fashion in India means just looking different. For example bolero goes from from rectangle to round headlights and Force goes from round to rectangle headlights. They should stick with the classic g-wagen looks.
4x4addict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th June 2009, 10:55   #935
BHPian

Does the Gurkha (in India) come with 4 doors or only 2? Not that I am going to buy one, but just curious as it looks like the Gurkhas in the pictures above has 4 doors while our Indian Gurkha owners' pictures elsewhere show only 2 doors.
thalavoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th June 2009, 17:04   #936
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by thalavoy View Post
Does the Gurkha (in India) come with 4 doors or only 2? Not that I am going to buy one, but just curious as it looks like the Gurkhas in the pictures above has 4 doors while our Indian Gurkha owners' pictures elsewhere show only 2 doors.
4 Door version used to be called the Judo and is discontinued. 2 Door is available.
4x4addict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th June 2009, 20:17   #937
BHPian

Default Hello Everybody!!

I am new to Team BHP and this is my first communication with this forum.
At the outset I would thank this excellent forum for 2 things.
FIRST:
Having found a wealth of knowledge and knowledgable friends.
SECOND:
Having found my other soul-mate in the avatar of Gurkha trax. I could take a valid decision to purchase this vehicle only after reading everyones opinion on this forum. The wonderful photographs,the in-depth analysis and the first hand experience narrated by each member could enable me to take that one last step towards my mate.
I say the "last step" because somewhere in my mind I had this strong feeling that this is the vehicle I was looking for.
I cant describe my feelings when I was informed by my dealer that the vehicle had arrived. It was afternoon and my OPD was packed ( I am a Cardiologist) and I had to exert to keep my mind focussed.At 1710 hrs when my last patient was attended I rushed to Vashi Automobiles and I came face to face with the one thing that I was eagerly waiting for ..my Gurkha.
Standing majestically,towering high amongst other lowly creations,my Gurkha exuded confidence and awe. That's when I knew I had taken the correct decision.
I could go on and on but I know this is no place for emotional let -outs.
I had read about this vehicle being poor on comforts,noisy etc but I humbly defer.
I have got a lot to say and I will ,eventually,in my subsequent posts.
I shall try to give the other side of the picture,you can call it a doctor's view.
Bye.
mohan is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 22nd June 2009, 02:48   #938
BHPian

Looking forward to your report Mohan!
rhandle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd June 2009, 15:54   #939
BHPian

Default My Gurkha

I took charge of the Gurkha at Vashi Automobiles ,New-Mumbai.The dealer Mr.Chetan Daya was very cooperative and had me delivered the Gurkha in around a month and a half's time with a down payement of Rs 50,000/-.

I had a difficult time registering this vehicle at the local RTO(Pen-RTO) who had never registerd this vehicle before.They didn't have a TC for this vehicle and they insisted that I show the company invoice and not the dealer's just to be sure that I had not under-priced this vehicle for evading tax.With a little hardship and my dealers help I got all the documents faxed for the registration.There were a couple of safaris and Scorpios at the RTO and I noticed that the Gurkha is 4 inches taller and broader than these.
That makes the Gurkha the TALLEST AND WIDEST SUV IN THE INDIAN MARKET. Correct me If I am wrong.http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/images...n%20stupid.gif

I had owned a Bolero Invader,own a Scorpio and Civic.
While I was showing the enthusiastic RTO the engine behind the bonnet,I noticed that the bonnet closed with a "thump'' unlike the 'Thud" of the bolero and scorpio,suggesting a superior guage steel used in the Gurkha.
What with the very tough bull-fender,the Tubular chasis and the heavy steel used in the Gurkha I got the feeling that I was sitting in a fortress.It undoubtedly therefore is one of the TOUGHEST SUV's IN THE INDIAN MARKET.Again correct me if I am wronghttp://www.team-bhp.com/forum/images/smilies/Sign%20stupid.gif

Still so much to write...about this er..Gurkha
mohan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd June 2009, 16:39   #940
BHPian

Rhandle,you have been instrumental to a great extent in making me buy the Gurkha.Thanks!!
Old 22nd June 2009, 16:58   #941
BHPian

Congratulations Mohan. Do tell us your experiences. I hope your initial 10-15K are without any issues, and if that happens then you will never have any issue with this vehicle!!
Old 22nd June 2009, 20:07   #942
BHPian

Hello Rhandle,
Could you guide me over which tyres I should upgrade to?
You are using Yokohoma tyres.
I have read the description on tyres on this thread but still I am confused.
I want tyres which are okay both for tarmac and off-road.
thankjs
Old 23rd June 2009, 09:48   #943
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mohan View Post
Hello Rhandle,
thankjs

Hi, Dr.Mohan welcome to Team-bhp. Congrats your the lucky few who own a Gurkha. The praises for this car will never stop so please go on. The only person to guide you is Mr.Arup , Mr.Pritpal (gurkha veterans) & of course Mr.Rahul. Do put up some pics of your car. Regarding tyres Yokohama Geolander are the best ,for the size please ask Rahul.
Old 23rd June 2009, 10:48   #944
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mohan View Post
Hello Rhandle,
thankjs
You will find one modification over here which is a must, that is fixing the fans.
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/long-t...-kms-done.html

Check the tyre pressure in your vehicle, mine came with 65 PSI making the ride hell. Bring it down to 32.

My personal advice do not change the tyres right now. Use the vehicle off-road and the tyres you are having are best at the moment. Even if you have to change then PLEASE let me know, I will buy the tires and rim whatever price the tire shop is offereing you in exchange.

I am going to switch from 31x10.5x15 today and would be shifting to 16". I am in talks with Yokohama guy Gaurav and would come to know about the sizes available. In case you want MT then 31x10.5x15 in Yoko is available.

265x75x16
275x75x16 or
275x70x16

all these sizes would also fit.

Which Tires I fit today, I will put it in my report by late night today, you can check over there.
Old 23rd June 2009, 11:45   #945
BHPian

There are many thing that money cannot buy...one of them is a " good advise".
Thank you brothers for this.