Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > 4x4 & Off-Roading > 4x4 Vehicles

Old 18th April 2012, 12:06   #16
Senior - BHPian

Default Re: 2009 Gypsy King. Functional Mods, Desert Storm Scrutineer

This is by far the most reliable gypsy I have seen till date. Rahul's cars are never ever out of commission unlike many cars that are modded and then visit more time in the workshop rather than on the road. His car runs always. There is never a situation where this car has broken down. Of course one major factor being that he doesn't do unnecessary modifications to the car that are not required.

The exhaust note is to die for trust me. The best note on any gypsy. Unlike most rally gypsy's prepared where people do get the exhaust system from the west and south and the they have a horrible(phata hua) noise, this car has a deep growl and is by far one of the best if not the best exhaust made in the south.

The A/C works really well thanks to the rally cab and also how it has been installed. The engine is smoothest ever. Last sunday I drove this car and with the windows up on a bad road, I could,t hear a single squeek or noise from the car. And mind you I was driving the car hard.

If one plans to build a gypsy or any other car I guess he is the best person one should consider coming to for getting their car done.

He is currently working on a project which should again be a killer. Keep guessing what that project is.
IndrojitSircar is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 18th April 2012, 12:17   #17
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by wbd8779 View Post
Codelust - Stormy is owned by the person who heads service for Motorcraft (Ghaziabad ) and he built it himself at the above location , Rahul is intensely passionate about gypsy"s and is a treasure trove of information about the car , in fact all the official maruti suzuki cars that participate in the Desert , Raid and the Dakshin Dare are prepared by him , also the engine of the 2011 Desert Storm winning XL7 of Sunny was rebuilt by him after it siezed during the first stage of DS12

Tyres are an intresting story , we got Apollo after the Nat Geo Apollo series for the first year , i made him change it to BF Goodrich as personally i am no fan of Apollo"s.
With the so called rally favourite we did DS11 , however the very hard sidewall and compound made the ride very uncomfortable so this year when Yoko gave us Geolanders , the switch was made

On the BFG"s bieng rally favourites i kind of disagree , i have myself done and finished the Raid De himalaya in extreme class with a 1.6 engined gypsy in 2010 on Yoko Geolanders with just one puncture and that was not bcoz of the percieved weak sidewall of the geolander

The pipercross is used throughout the event , there is no need to revert to the stock filter if u run in the unrestricted extreme category.
A few competitors however remove the hose that connects the filter with the throttle body assembly to gain a bit more power (it is illegal and not allowed and if you are caught you may be disqualified )
Thanks again for the detailed answers.

A-ha, so this is Rahul's ride. Know Shaji reasonably well, who used to be his Gypsy guy at the workshop. Will probably be dropping with my Gypsy at MC soon for a service.

Looks like tyres are a topic of passionate disagreement among rally drivers. Two of them I know (both extreme) swear by BFGs. I run Yokos, but mine is a bone stock, plain jane vehicle (other than the rally Kamanis) and it has been a good experience so far. But I am not a rally driver.

Was asking about removing Piper Cross in DS due to dust issues, not as a performance-related change.

Last edited by codelust : 18th April 2012 at 12:20. Reason: added a point for clarity
codelust is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 18th April 2012, 13:22   #18
BHPian

Quote:
any discomfort / sounds / noises in his beloved gypsy have a direct effect on his health.

What is the range you get? (don't see an auxiliary fuel tank or is it there somewhere?)
oldmonk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th April 2012, 13:29   #19
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldmonk View Post

What is the range you get? (don't see an auxiliary fuel tank or is it there somewhere?)
Hello old monk

Congratulations for the Dakshin Dare

The usual average hovers around 8-10kmpl , no there is no auxiliary tank . We just carry a 20 liter can , never had to use it though as the tank is always topped up before it dips below the half way mark

Salman

Last edited by wbd8779 : 18th April 2012 at 13:32.
wbd8779 is online now   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 18th April 2012, 13:42   #20
BHPian

Quote:
Hello old monk

Congratulations for the Dakshin Dare

The usual average hovers around 8-10kmpl , no there is no auxiliary tank . We just carry a 20 liter can , never had to use it though as the tank is always topped up before it dips below the half way mark

Salman
Thank you. And thanks for sharing, if I ever get a Gypsy (*), this is what it will look like

* - even though there are lots of pros on getting one (just from the amount of rallies we do and the fact that big North/East Indian TSDs border on being stage events) the deterrants have been "what others say": 1 - 'no A/C', 2 - 'aftermarket A/C overheats engine', 3 - 'suspension kills back' - but eventually hopefully I'll overcome all that and buy myself one!
Old 18th April 2012, 13:48   #21
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldmonk View Post
Thank you. And thanks for sharing, if I ever get a Gypsy (*), this is what it will look like

* - even though there are lots of pros on getting one (just from the amount of rallies we do and the fact that big North/East Indian TSDs border on being stage events) the deterrants have been "what others say": 1 - 'no A/C', 2 - 'aftermarket A/C overheats engine', 3 - 'suspension kills back' - but eventually hopefully I'll overcome all that and buy myself one!
A gypsy would save you a load of cash , that you have to spend on the GVa fter every event , how much did the suspension replacement cost after the DS12.

I can guess where most of the objections originate , and they are pretty valid.

OT -Having said that i agree on the events bieng a bit too tough for the endure class , specially considering that most of the competitors do not have service backup

Last edited by wbd8779 : 18th April 2012 at 13:49.
wbd8779 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 18th April 2012, 14:04   #22
BHPian

Quote:
A gypsy would save you a load of cash , that you have to spend on the GVa fter every event , how much did the suspension replacement cost after the DS12.

I can guess where most of the objections originate , and they are pretty valid.

OT -Having said that i agree on the events bieng a bit too tough for the endure class , specially considering that most of the competitors do not have service backup
Not just after, before too (preventive change of parts); costs get embarassingly high!

Anyway enough OT, back to your sexy gypsy
Old 18th April 2012, 16:58   #23
GTO
Team-BHP Support

I'd forward this thread link to a friend who is building a Gypsy for his farm. He called me and said "Just see the way that the spare wheel frame has been finished & fitted. God is in the details. Respect!"
GTO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th April 2012, 09:44   #24
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
I'd forward this thread link to a friend who is building a Gypsy for his farm. He called me and said "Just see the way that the spare wheel frame has been finished & fitted. God is in the details. Respect!"
Thank you GTO , i passed on the comments that you made to Rahul and he was plaesed that his work has been appreciated, he has offered to bulid a similiar spare wheel bracket for your friend if he can have it picked up from Delhi.
wbd8779 is online now   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 16th May 2012, 11:54   #25
fk7
BHPian

Hi,

Can you tell me the model of the oil cooler that was installed on your Gypsy?

Firoz
fk7 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 11th June 2012, 15:23   #26
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Posting a pic of the rear mounted Air Con condenser and a few others.
Quote:
Originally Posted by svsantosh View Post
1)
2) Very interesting condensor position, how come rally use hasnt punctured it? Or has it?
[quote=GTO;2749108
Interesting placement of the air-con condensor. How long has it been holding up? Any trial & error, or has life been easy with it?[/quote]

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhanushs View Post
Thats one nice looking Gypsy!

The condenser is one of the weakest link in an AC system. I'm surprised its placed in one of the most vulnerable places! Any leaks/failures?
Quote:
And finally the AC condenser position - I was expecting diverse reactions to the position , however let me tell you that there has been no incident whatsoever with the condenser till date , i have a file pic of the condensor bieng installed in 2010 , you can come and check it out in person , it is the same still and without a scratch.

Would be happy to answer any other questions
As you can see above the condenser positioning is attracting a lot of attention and the same is for obvious reasons.

It will be great if you could post a detailed writeup and pics pertaining to the AC setup covering the details of the parts(compressor/condenser/fans/blower etc) used and specific details on the condenser install.

Trust the in cabin AC temperature is as good as the conventional setup and there is no over heating issue.
KSM-Vtec is offline   Reply With Quote