Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > 4x4 & Off-Roading > 4x4 Vehicles

Old 20th April 2012, 20:40   #16
Senior - BHPian

Default Re: My new Bolero Di 4x4 and its Mods

Congrats, you have turned a sober/bland looking vehicle to a smart cat just by some few mods.

Have fun and keep this thread updated, )
lohithrao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st April 2012, 17:17   #17
vak
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Altocumulus View Post
I have driven a similar Bolero with identical tyres in Kolkata traffic, and did parallel parking in a tight squeeze. Its not much of an issue even though I am quite lean. I think the soft walls of these tyres help. The previous OE 215 Acceleres was tedious.
I keep the tyre pressure at 24 for better ride. So in some tight stop-go traffic, it is difficult without p/s, but I am saving on my push ups.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyline GT-R View Post
Have seen your Bolero in Kochi a couple of times.

Very neat modifications done. I guess the lamps are from JCB?

You should be saving some of the "Gym time" because of wider tyres & no PS.
Yes, I am saving some gym time. Yes, the lamps are Hella Work Lamps, OE on JCB.
vak is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 21st April 2012, 17:41   #18
vak
BHPian

Default Custom Rear Bumper

The OE rear bumper was made of steel but not strong enough to use High Lift Jack. So I decided to build one.

The aim was to keep it simple and clean, no fancy designs. I bought 4 inch steel "C" channel on a weekend and started. Got it cut and welded from a workshop. The mount was made using some left over steel plates. Grade 10 bolt were used all over.

It was a DIY project except for the cutting and welding. There is nothing more satifying than doing the work by yourself at a fraction of cost. Total Cost Rs1,700/-

The pictures follows.
Attached Images

vak is offline   (7) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 26th April 2012, 09:54   #19
BHPian

Thanks vak for ur valuable mail,booking of my bolero was done yesterday now just have to wait till she comes. Your vehicle is looking really good, any videos of the bolero in action at MGE. Cheers enjoy ur ride.
whicked wheels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th April 2012, 10:08   #20
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by whicked wheels View Post
Thanks vak for ur valuable mail,booking of my bolero was done yesterday now just have to wait till she comes. Your vehicle is looking really good, any videos of the bolero in action at MGE. Cheers enjoy ur ride.
Boss, its v under powered and front is really bumby.I used the same for 40000kms in 2008-2010.Now if the same comes with M2DICR - Delphi pumb combo, then just forget it.Please see my vehicle pix attached below.
Attached Images

Rajith is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 26th April 2012, 11:04   #21
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rajith View Post
Boss, its v under powered and front is really bumby.I used the same for 40000kms in 2008-2010.Now if the same comes with M2DICR - Delphi pumb combo, then just forget it.Please see my vehicle pix attached below.

Rajith the bolero i booked is the same one with the old turbo di engine 7seater its not comming with m2dicr engine as for the bumpy ride i am used to the mm540/550 so i dont think its going to make a difference. I had the 2012 M2DICR bolero for more than 3 months but really did not enjoy it as it was not a 4x4, it was good topped at 125kmph on the express but felt very insecure. i dont like driving at top speeds but my basic long drive speed in a jeep is between 80 to 100knph. i would also might change the differential ratio if i find this vehicle going too fast. Your vehicle looks good wish i could get black but too bad its not available. Just love the wheels and tyre combination wanted the same BFG tyres too bad they too are out.

Last edited by whicked wheels : 26th April 2012 at 11:07.
whicked wheels is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 26th April 2012, 11:17   #22
BHPian

Quote:
Rajith the bolero i booked is the same one with the old turbo di engine 7seater its not comming with m2dicr engine as for the bumpy ride i am used to the mm540/550 so i dont think its going to make a difference. I had the 2012 M2DICR bolero for more than 3 months but really did not enjoy it as it was not a 4x4, it was good topped at 125kmph on the express but felt very insecure. i dont like driving at top speeds but my basic long drive speed in a jeep is between 80 to 100knph. i would also might change the differential ratio if i find this vehicle going too fast. Your vehicle looks good wish i could get black but too bad its not available. Just love the wheels and tyre combination wanted the same BFG tyres too bad they too are out.
Hi,

This is not a mean offroad or a onroad vehicle.Just an average stuff.I tried to combine a single vehicle which can be used for both the purposes, later realised the failuer.Jumbs more than a 540 or 550.

Came with DI engine and dephi pumb, did have night mare, later changed to MICO.

Fitted PS,AC,CFL,PW,UPHOLSTERY,DVD,BULL GUARD,FOGLAMPS,ROOTS,HD etc and converted into SLX specs.

Ones travelled with a 11month old baby in 2008 for 350kms, she got hi fever and start crying when ever tried to take her in..

So now seprated to scorpio vlx 2wd and a THAR CRDe.
Rajith is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 26th April 2012, 11:29   #23
BHPian

Thanks Rajith but i have no choice but this as my buget permits me only one vehicle so i have too compromise as i have lost quite a lot of money due to the causual and careless mahindra dealear.
Old 26th April 2012, 11:40   #24
Distinguished - BHPian

I too have a Bolero LX 4x4 and was contemplating on removing the running boards. However, the exhaust pipe will be exposed and will be an eye sore. Can anything be done to lift the exhaust without hitting the body?
BlackPearl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th April 2012, 11:57   #25
BHPian

Nothing really can be done, you might just have to make a cover to hide it. might figure out some thing once i get my bolero.
Old 26th April 2012, 12:30   #26
Senior - BHPian

Until this thread I wasn't aware of the low-roof and high-roof variants of Bolero. Any specific advantage because of the half high-roof.
rajeev k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th April 2012, 12:48   #27
Distinguished - BHPian

Default Re: Custom Rear Bumper

Quote:
Originally Posted by vak View Post
The OE rear bumper was made of steel but not strong enough to use High Lift Jack. So I decided to build one.

The aim was to keep it simple and clean, no fancy designs.
Nice snug fitting rear bumper. Really like it. The front bumper looks very incomplete in comparison. Any plans for another DIY? And won't it be a pain to drive during the monsoon with the overexposed front wheels?

And congrats on the Bolero with very tasteful mods.
deetjohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th April 2012, 22:15   #28
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vak View Post
It has been 21000 km and one year since I bought my Bolero Di 4x4. I thought it was the right time for me to write down my opinion on my vehicle and about the various modification done on my vehicle.

Bolero Di 4wd is really a good vehicle for some one looking for a heavyduty, no-frills offroader but also want some security and comfort of a hard top 5 door 4x4. But let me make it clear as mentioned above it is meant for people who want a heavy duty 4x4 and can live with crude under pinnings.

Regards,

Vinshad Aziz
Thoroughly loved reading this.

I had no clue of the details of the variants of the Bolero.
I have always loved its Hummer inspired bits (doors, front etc.)
But the fact that it is such a formidable performer is sweet music to my ears.

Would love to keep seeing some more nice mods - especially alloys.

Thank you for sharing. Amazing !
Dr.Suraj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th April 2012, 23:04   #29
vak
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by deetjohn View Post
Nice snug fitting rear bumper. Really like it. The front bumper looks very incomplete in comparison. Any plans for another DIY? And won't it be a pain to drive during the monsoon with the overexposed front wheels?

And congrats on the Bolero with very tasteful mods.
Yes, the front bumper is incomplete. I am getting a winch. So I thought the design should include a winch plate. So waiting for the winch to arrive to start the work on the front bumper.

No, there is no particular difficulty in driving during heavy rains, with the exposed wheels.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajeev k View Post
Until this thread I wasn't aware of the low-roof and high-roof variants of Bolero. Any specific advantage because of the half high-roof.
I dont know about any particular advantage of the half high-roof. But I can store my high lift jack up right at the rear. I dont know whether I can do this in a regular Bolero.

Quote:
Nothing really can be done, you might just have to make a cover to hide it. might figure out some thing once i get my bolero.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackPearl View Post
I too have a Bolero LX 4x4 and was contemplating on removing the running boards. However, the exhaust pipe will be exposed and will be an eye sore. Can anything be done to lift the exhaust without hitting the body?
I have slightly modified and raised the side foot step by 3 inches or so, please check the pictures. Now I dont need to worry about foot steps hitting any objects during offroad. I have once removed the foot steps completely but it was difficult to get in and out.

The pictures follow.
Attached Images

vak is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 28th April 2012, 09:04   #30

Hi....

Realy good job done

[COLOR=black]Its good to add lift point in bumper, however I find using tire mate as better idea:[/COLOR]

[COLOR=black]1> Tire mate is hooked to the wheel so there is hardly any chance of slip or car falling off the jack as that could be in case of bumper lifting.[/COLOR]

[COLOR=black]2> Lifting is required in case the tire gets free (looses traction) so it better to lift the wheel itself rather than lifting the whole vehicle and expanding the complete suspension before the tire to start lifting.[/COLOR]

[COLOR=black]Here are the pics of my Scorpio stuck in field with underbody touching the hard ground and wheels free.[/COLOR]

[COLOR=black]With tire mate attached, couple of strokes to jack and tire was lifted enough for pushing a rock beneath and vehicle was out.[/COLOR]
Attached Thumbnails
My new Bolero Di 4x4 and its Mods-scorpio-diff-touch-down.jpg  

My new Bolero Di 4x4 and its Mods-hilift.jpg  

My new Bolero Di 4x4 and its Mods-hilift-2.jpg  

R@jput is offline   (4) Thanks Reply With Quote