Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > 4x4 & Off-Roading > 4x4 Vehicles

Old 5th September 2016, 18:43   #286
Senior - BHPian

Default Re: My brand new Gypsy King 1.3L MPFI

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sawyer View Post
I recently did an extended drive when it returned 13/14 km to a litre of petrol - not frugal, but not too bad.

But in the city, one realises how much the noise pollution there is as well these days, in a Gypsy. Horns can sound startlingly close and loud. Of course, the Thar has this as an option as well.
Amazing to know this is the kind of mileage you get! My old Gypsys, Soft and Hard top, never ever returned more than 9 kmpl at best. With the AC on the mileage would come down to 6-7kmpl. Those were the old 970 CC engines.

Noise Pollution - the bane of our lives. In the Yeti I can hardly hear anything thats happening outside. In my old Gypsy I could hear everyone and his grand aunt and their conversations not to mention the horn and other horrid ambient noises.

Despite the Thar having an AC as an option, I somehow still prefer the lightness and fleetness of foot, of the Gypsy, in comparison. The Thar seems much more ponderous in that sense. One more point, the Gypsy's silent performance holds greater appeal right now, to me. And as I did ten years ago, I moved from Gypsy to Bolero, largely on account of the huge price difference between Petrol and Diesel, because I wanted to do more long trips without feeling the pinch.

Now as I said before, with the narrowing price differential between the two fuels, it is a nice time as any to go back to a Petrol SUV. There is also a Petrol Grand Vitara hanging about for sale somewhere in Bangalore - it was in HSR Layout some days ago and I saw it and sat in it etc. Great vehicle, but Ive forgotten the asking price.

Saying that, while it is a first class modern SUV, it just doesn't have the same raw appeal of the Gypsy somehow!
shankar.balan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th September 2016, 18:56   #287
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by cool_dube View Post

Wonder what could have prevented MSIL to equip Gypsy with a LHS ORVM from the factory.
The very same thing that prevented them from giving a Blue Gypsy to you.

As long as the main purchaser isn't complaining, why will they bother fitting an lhs mirror, or for that matter make any change at all..?
schakravarthy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th September 2016, 19:25   #288
Senior - BHPian

Back in 2009 on a similar drive, I see from the thread here that I obtained 13 km to a litre then as well, when the car was new. The subsequent move to 215 size tyres must be helping as well as a well settled engine.

The MPFI is a very responsive engine, so one has to use a gentle right foot because that suffices almost all the time and helps FE in the process.

The GV has a lot of the Gypsy DNA and is a very capable car. It failed because it was petrol, a fuel guzzler in the all time 4WD mode it comes with, and was very expensive if bought new. A well used one may be a good idea, because I am sure Maruti will still provide after sales support in full.
Sawyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th September 2016, 21:57   #289
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shankar.balan View Post
Please check on the HardTop for me
Sure, will do and PM you.

Quote:
I somehow still prefer the lightness and fleetness of foot, of the Gypsy, in comparison
I know EXACTLY what you are talking about here It is sheer bliss to drive, what with the feather-weight body and a punchy petrol mill.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sawyer View Post
The GV has a lot of the Gypsy DNA and is a very capable car
I love the GV and would most certainly go for one, when it is time to let go of my Safari. Am veering away from diesel for all the right reasons! However, from what I hear, the present generation GV is discontinued for good and there are no plans to launch a newer version, at least in the near future. Let's see...

Last edited by cool_dube : 5th September 2016 at 22:20.
cool_dube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th September 2016, 14:32   #290
BHPian

Looking at Shankar's comments about Pratham dealerships not at all aware of the Gypsy, the Madurai dealership is quite the opposite. Not only did they tell me in a clear cut manner on the day 1 (when i booked) that i will get only a WHITE and that too a SOFT TOP. They were very clear on that. On the day i picked up the vehicle, they had the dealership managers take a pic with the Gypsy. They said its a custom they had been following for several years.

Yesterday i completed 3000 Kms on my Gypsy. I went on a bone-jarring 40 Km ride to Meghamalai hills (distance covered in 3hrs). I was almost on full time 4 WD riding all over rocks and mud. Was real fun. Every individual at the farmhouse enquired if they had started selling the Gypsy again and the cost.

BTW, i just noticed that the rear seat left and right stands on the Gypsy are different in shape. The left stand is straight while the right front stand has an inward V bend. Is it the same for you guys or is this a defect in my vehicle??
shyamkrish is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 6th September 2016, 15:20   #291
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shyamkrish View Post
Not only did they tell me in a clear cut manner on the day 1 (when i booked) that i will get only a WHITE and that too a SOFT TOP
That's pleasantly surprising and good for you indeed. In my case, I lost my peace of mind as well as precious time, waiting for the ever-evasive Blue Gypsy, all due to ignorance on my dealer's part.

Quote:
Yesterday i completed 3000 Kms on my Gypsy. I went on a bone-jarring 40 Km ride to Meghamalai hills (distance covered in 3hrs). I was almost on full time 4 WD riding all over rocks and mud. Was real fun.
I presume you went to one of those Wood Briar properties, is that correct? Also, please share some pics from the drive, especially the off-road part.

Quote:
BTW, i just noticed that the rear seat left and right stands on the Gypsy are different in shape. The left stand is straight while the right front stand has an inward V bend. Is it the same for you guys or is this a defect in my vehicle??
This was the case with my 1998 model King as well, so rest assured my friend, nothing has changed over the last 18 years

Last edited by cool_dube : 6th September 2016 at 15:27.
Old 6th September 2016, 17:50   #292
BHPian

Quote:
I presume you went to one of those Wood Briar properties, is that correct? Also, please share some pics from the drive, especially the off-road part.
Yup, thats the one ! Unfortunately i was so caught up and getting over the roads that we didnt take any pics untill we reached the resort.
shyamkrish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th September 2016, 18:52   #293
Senior - BHPian

So I went again to Pratham just now on my way home.
Here is what they said.
Please pay full amount Sir.
Gypsy will be delivered after 6 months. Only White colour available Sir.
This was the sales boy.
Next came a Sales Girl and a Manager type chap.
The sales girl called the TSM, one Anshul by name.
And she said this is what Anshul said. 6
Months waiting period. Only white available.
Will confirm about Hard Top availability.

So I gave them a piece of my
mind in a joking manner and asked them to check on Harvest Green and Hard Top and all the rest of it.

I asked them to take their time and revert.

I said that once they reverted with full and proper information, I was prepared to pay the required downpayment and wait it out.

Turned out that apparently
2 years back someone booked a Gypsy from them,
rejected it at the time of delivery and then it lay in their yard for a year and finally got sold late last year.

So I surmise that the dealership bosses must have laid down some rules to the employees when it comes to enquiries relating to Gypsys...

Then, I was passing the same
old used car dealer today in HSR and I saw this beauty parked outside.

Upon enquiring and of course peering at it, it turns out the vehicle is a 2015 one.
16 valve Mpfi 1.3 King. 5
Speed.
Owned by a friend of the owner of the dealership.
Destined for modification and absolutely Not For Sale under any circumstances I am told...

Seeing this vehicle can drive a person quite mad and fuel the passion...

But I must be patient and must make decisions calmly.
Name:  ImageUploadedByTeamBHP1473168085.684070.jpg
Views: 965
Size:  349.4 KBName:  ImageUploadedByTeamBHP1473168095.018592.jpg
Views: 972
Size:  320.5 KBName:  ImageUploadedByTeamBHP1473168106.574058.jpg
Views: 989
Size:  359.5 KB
shankar.balan is offline   (3) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 6th September 2016, 21:49   #294
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
So I went again to Pratham just now on my way home.
Congratulations! You have been 'possessed', my friend

Quote:
Here is what they said...
This is all BS! Fact of the matter is, no one (including the TSM) can give you a precise delivery timeline. It all depends on the total volume of orders from across the country - as soon as they hit 25-30 orders, a batch is rolled out. On the booking amount, do not pay a penny more than 50K. If they act smart, you can tell them that you are going to another dealer.

Quote:
Turned out that apparently
2 years back someone booked a Gypsy from them,
rejected it at the time of delivery and then it lay in their yard for a year and finally got sold late last year.
I know this because I 'test drove' that Gypsy at their yard They tried to sell it to me, saying that I could be the lucky one to get immediate delivery when people typically wait for months for one! I had almost picked it up but then came upon the pre-owned one in Pune which I eventually bought.

Quote:
So I surmise that the dealership bosses must have laid down some rules to the employees when it comes to enquiries relating to Gypsys...
Correct. In fact, I was initially asked to pay up the entire ex-showroom price as the booking amount, which came down to 2 lac, and then eventually to 50K after multiple rounds of negotiation. A Gypsy is pretty much dead inventory for them if the customer ditches at the last moment.

Quote:
Then, I was passing the same old used car dealer today in HSR and I saw this beauty parked outside.
A ha! Hook, line, and sinker

Quote:
But I must be patient and must make decisions calmly.
Wishful thinking, is all I can say. But, all the best nevertheless
Old 7th September 2016, 06:32   #295
Senior - BHPian

The fellows there say it can take 6 months. And that Only Soft Top variants are available.

Did you find out from your TSM about Hard tops?
shankar.balan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th September 2016, 08:36   #296
BHPian

Quote:
The fellows there say it can take 6 months. And that Only Soft Top variants are available.

Every dealer seems to have different versions of stories to tell!

Late last year, I enquired most of the reputed MSIL dealers in Kolkata and their answer about booking one was a strict NO, followed by the usual excuses that production has stopped, it's not available for civilians etc. One dealer, through the help of another BHPian, called back and were pretty optimistic about selling the Gypsy. But they said that it was only available in white with a soft top, with a waiting period of 3 months to a whole year! Now, the fun part is that they said that they can order a hard top as an "accessory" for the Gypsy, and fit it at their workshop, charging extra for it.

I am pretty sure that if not for the reluctant behavior of these dealerships, the Thar would've definitely seen some more competition rather than being a monopoly in the market.

Have been silently following all the Gypsy threads(this seems to be the most active). Please keep them stories coming as there are a lot of Gypsy lovers who await to hear them!

Neel

Last edited by petrolhead_neel : 7th September 2016 at 08:37.
petrolhead_neel is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 7th September 2016, 11:49   #297
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by petrolhead_neel View Post
I am pretty sure that if not for the reluctant behavior of these dealerships, the Thar would've definitely seen some more competition rather than being a monopoly in the market.
I'd say MSIL is more at fault here than the dealers. The pathetic levels of interest shown by MSIL in selling the Gypsy are evident from the fact that they were ready to cancel my order at the drop of a hat rather than giving me a color of my choice. They simply did not care if they lost me as a customer, which would be considered suicidal in today's customer-centric market.

This can be attributed to the facts that not only are they ruling the roost when it comes to car market in India (hence the I-care-a-damn attitude) but also that Gypsy contributes to just about 0.1% of their total sales (205 Gypsy's sold against a total of 119906 cars sold by MSIL in Aug '16) - why should they care? It is at times like these one can easily differentiate b/w an "automobile manufacturer" vs. an organization that has auto-enthusiasm in their DNA and can look at things from a customer's perspective.

Anyways, enough ranting! The wait continues...

Last edited by cool_dube : 7th September 2016 at 11:51.
cool_dube is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 7th September 2016, 13:48   #298
BHPian

cool_dube, petrolhead_neel, shankar.balan,

I feel sorry to see your pain and admire your perseverance for your passion.

Given the reach of social media nowadays, I checked if there is an official Maruti Suzuki Gypsy FB or Twitter page.

FB :

There is no official page for the Gypsy.

A Maruti employee (Team Leader at Maruti Suzuki - Way of Life) apparently runs this page https://www.facebook.com/profile.php...1640&ref=br_rs ... perhaps you can reach out to him, for help.

You could also post to or PM the "Maruti Suzuki - Way of Life" page https://www.facebook.com/MarutiSuzuk...ife/?ref=br_rs and check their response.

And to give the MS Motorsports guys a chance to make a vehicle sale, you could check their response too at https://www.facebook.com/MarutiSuzuk...ports/?fref=ts ... they probably have ready access to all the people responsible for Gypsy in MS.

Twitter :

There is no official Gypsy twitter handle.

You could try and contact the official MS handle https://twitter.com/maruti_corp

Lastly, I also tried to see if the brand manager for Gypsy has his resume on LinkedIn. The search results only throw up Sanjeev Handa, the Vice President and Head of Marketing at MS. You could try reaching out to him.

Let us hope that MS is active on at least one of these channels and puts the wheels in motion for you guys.

As a last resort, you could even fill in requests for test drives, which would indicate your seriousness of purchase intent, at http://www.marutisuzuki.com/BrandTes...x?ModelCode=GY

Do let us know how you get on.

Cheers,

FourWheelDrift

Last edited by FourWheelDrift : 7th September 2016 at 13:56.
FourWheelDrift is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 7th September 2016, 15:08   #299
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by FourWheelDrift View Post
Given the reach of social media nowadays, I checked if there is an official Maruti Suzuki Gypsy FB or Twitter page.
Thanks buddy but I do not have accounts on either of these platforms. I have been thinking on similar lines and was tempted more than once to create accounts just for this cause but then gave up Anyways, I have switched my booking to a white one so...
Old 7th September 2016, 15:35   #300
BHPian

Quote:

Here at Madurai they told me that only a white and that too ST was available. The most senior manager at the dealership called the MSIL zonal representative in front of me and confirmed.

They also told me that though might take upto 3 months it should most probably arrive in a month which it did

Infact i also got a direct number of the TN ZM who told me exactly when the Gypsy would arrive. They were very helpful and even knew my name the moment i asked about my Gypsy
shyamkrish is offline   Reply With Quote