Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > 4x4 & Off-Roading > 4x4 Vehicles

Old 12th August 2012, 23:46   #1
BHPian

Default Sneak preview of a SPOA Jeep

Hi Guys,

just wanted to share details of SPOA Jeep that I have recently completely.

I did an SPOA to a 540/CJ3 hybrid. The body is from 540 and the Chassis is from CJ3. This vehicle has Mahindra 475DI Engine mated to KMT90 gearbox.

While the engine, drivetrain and gearbox were overhauled by the owner, we have done everything else, which includes:

- 7.25" SPOA
- Conversion from Bell Crank Steering to MRCB
- Z-Link Rod
- Roll Cage (Front Exposed and Rear)
- Spare wheel carrier
- New foot rests
- Matt finish paint
- Complete rewiring
- Front and rear skid plates
- Soft Top
- Hydraulic Shock Absorbers
- New tail lights (Rubicon)
- Installation of Snorkel
- Relocation of Silencer
- Few other minor works

I am attaching some pictures, which you guys might like.

Regards

Jaskirat Singh Nagra
Attached Thumbnails
Sneak preview of a SPOA Jeep-r-dd-spoa-1.jpg  

Sneak preview of a SPOA Jeep-r-dd-spoa-2.jpg  

Sneak preview of a SPOA Jeep-r-dd-spoa-3.jpg  

Sneak preview of a SPOA Jeep-r-dd-spoa-4.jpg  

Sneak preview of a SPOA Jeep-r-dd-spoa-5.jpg  

Sneak preview of a SPOA Jeep-r-dd-spoa-7.jpg  

Sneak preview of a SPOA Jeep-r-dd-spoa-13.jpg  

Sneak preview of a SPOA Jeep-r-dd-spoa-14.jpg  

Sneak preview of a SPOA Jeep-r-dd-spoa-17.jpg  

Sneak preview of a SPOA Jeep-r-dd-spoa-18.jpg  

Sneak preview of a SPOA Jeep-r-dd-spoa-25.jpg  

Sneak preview of a SPOA Jeep-r-dd-spoa-26.jpg  

Sneak preview of a SPOA Jeep-r-dd-spoa-32.jpg  

Sneak preview of a SPOA Jeep-r-dd-spoa-38.jpg  

Sneak preview of a SPOA Jeep-r-dd-spoa-43.jpg  

Last edited by Jaskirat : 17th August 2012 at 13:51.
Jaskirat is offline   (5) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 17th August 2012, 17:29   #2
Team-BHP Support

Default Re: Sneak preview of a SPOA Jeep

Moving to public section.
Samurai is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 17th August 2012, 17:55   #3
Senior - BHPian

Good work Jaskirat. I particularly liked the Matt colour, the rear latches for the tail gate and the Skid Plate with the Jeep Logo.

I for one, have never understood the concept of an SPOA. It does nothing to increase the GC of the vehicle but does give it a good raised look and improves articulation if long travel shocks be used. This i feel one can get from a Shackle lift. Then there is te danger of the leaf spring doing an acrobatic reverse flex. Still to each his own. Sorry didnt mean to remove faults but ive driven a few SPOA-ed vehicles and have found them to be really really scary..of course it also takes getting used to but even when traveling on the highway or any road, it scares the wits out of me as a slight correction made via the steering and the jeep has a mind of its own.

But still your labour of love looks great and im sure you're an SPOA guy unlike myself
Enjoy your vehicle and please post pics of OTRs to let us see the shock travel and dramatic articulation changes that can only happen with an SPOA.

P.S. can i convince you to change the pipe of the exhaust to a thicker diameter? This one looks too puny for a butch Jeep like yours.
V-16 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 17th August 2012, 18:13   #4
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by V-16 View Post
Good work Jaskirat. I particularly liked the Matt colour, the rear latches for the tail gate and the Skid Plate with the Jeep Logo.

I for one, have never understood the concept of an SPOA. It does nothing to increase the GC of the vehicle but does give it a good raised look and improves articulation if long travel shocks be used. This i feel one can get from a Shackle lift. Then there is te danger of the leaf spring doing an acrobatic reverse flex. Still to each his own. Sorry didnt mean to remove faults but ive driven a few SPOA-ed vehicles and have found them to be really really scary..of course it also takes getting used to but even when traveling on the highway or any road, it scares the wits out of me as a slight correction made via the steering and the jeep has a mind of its own.

But still your labour of love looks great and im sure you're an SPOA guy unlike myself
Enjoy your vehicle and please post pics of OTRs to let us see the shock travel and dramatic articulation changes that can only happen with an SPOA.

P.S. can i convince you to change the pipe of the exhaust to a thicker diameter? This one looks too puny for a butch Jeep like yours.
Hi V-16,

Thanks for your comments. At Sarbloh Motors, we customize vehicles to specific customer requirements. This particular customer wanted an SPOA to be done to his JEEP.

I too agree that with you about the Shackle Lift, which I also prefer. The SPOA does give it a butch look though.

I have noted your point regarding the exhaust pipe and will try and see what I can do. Please see the attached picture and let me know which pipe your are referring to - the one encircled in black or the one in red.

Thanks again, Jaskirat
Attached Thumbnails
Sneak preview of a SPOA Jeep-exhaust.jpg  

Last edited by Jaskirat : 17th August 2012 at 18:22. Reason: Added a new picture for clarity
Jaskirat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th August 2012, 18:41   #5
Senior - BHPian

Oh Sorry My Bad.. I mistook the pipe (or whatever it is) coming out of the rear chassis on the LHS, the bent thing facing downwards as the exhaust pipe when you said relocated the exhaust pipe.

This one looks good and i didnt know it was a customers car, i thought it was yours. You are right if the guy whos paying wants something, its your duty to deliver. Good job mate!! Keep the good work going.

Now since its not your car ill throw in another few bits of mine (hope you dont mind, its just my opinion thats it.) The chrome wheels do not do justice to the Jeep. This needs matt coloured or brushed steel finish, GT style or Mickey Thompson design replicas. They need to be. IMHO, that would complete the butch look but then its an individual choice of the customer.

Good going buddy!!
V-16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th August 2012, 19:17   #6
BHPian

Nice colour.

What Hydraulic Shock Absorbers are these?
Also im sure you noticed that the diff breather pipes are missing.
Can you please put a clear pic the z link. Thanks
davids4x4mm550 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th August 2012, 20:01   #7
BHPian

@ Jaskirat : Pardon my ignorance , but why is the spare tyre difeerent form the 4 tyres . Is it just for show off or will be i used ?
gautamkhadse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th August 2012, 20:09   #8
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gautamkhadse
@ Jaskirat : Pardon my ignorance , but why is the spare tyre difeerent form the 4 tyres . Is it just for show off or will be i used ?
Did not have the 5th MT, which is still expected. The HT was purely to test the spare wheel carrier.
Quote:
Originally Posted by davids4x4mm550
Nice colour.

What Hydraulic Shock Absorbers are these?
Also im sure you noticed that the diff breather pipes are missing.
Can you please put a clear pic the z link. Thanks
The shock absorbers are from Chevy Aveo. Yes, the breathers are still to be installed.

Note from the Team-BHP Support: Please use the EDIT or MULTI-QUOTE buttons instead of typing one post after another on the same thread.

Last edited by Rudra Sen : 17th August 2012 at 20:26.
Jaskirat is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 18th August 2012, 08:42   #9
BANNED

Few questions
1) Is this Jeep road legal ??

2) The bolts replacing the U clamps , what specification are they ? Anything special about them ? ( Grade etc )

3) How long is the spare wheel carrier in Use , I mean how is it working ?

4) wont the exhaust heat the rear tyre ?

5) Can you please share the construction of chassis parts ( on which the Trailer yoke fits ) behind the rear skid plate ?

6) If I am not wrong , the center located rear diff housing ,with T 18 transfer case , worries me ( wrt Prop shaft angle )

will be asking more if you dont mind

Please do share some under-chassis pics also

Sudarshan

P.S. BTW Nice painstakingly done work , thanks for sharing
enjoy

Last edited by Sudarshan : 18th August 2012 at 08:49.
Sudarshan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th August 2012, 10:50   #10
BHPian

Note from Team-bhp support: Post deleted. Please take some time to compose your posts with appropriate capital letters at the start of sentences and punctuation wherever required.

Last edited by moralfibre : 20th August 2012 at 21:05.
karizma9292 is offline   Reply With Quote Received Infraction
Old 18th August 2012, 11:00   #11
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sudarshan View Post
Few questions
1) Is this Jeep road legal ??

2) The bolts replacing the U clamps , what specification are they ? Anything special about them ? ( Grade etc )

3) How long is the spare wheel carrier in Use , I mean how is it working ?

4) wont the exhaust heat the rear tyre ?

5) Can you please share the construction of chassis parts ( on which the Trailer yoke fits ) behind the rear skid plate ?

6) If I am not wrong , the center located rear diff housing ,with T 18 transfer case , worries me ( wrt Prop shaft angle )

will be asking more if you dont mind

Please do share some under-chassis pics also

Sudarshan

P.S. BTW Nice painstakingly done work , thanks for sharing
enjoy
Hi Sudarshan,

Thanks for your questions, which are always welcome. Such questions are instrumental in the process of learning for me.

1. Purely going by Central Motor Vehicle Act, any modification to a vehicle that changes its Manufacturer's specifications is not allowed. Based on this, SPOA would not be road legal.

2. The Bolts used are from LPS Bossard. These are Hexagonal Half Thread Bolts made of Carbon Steel with Strength Grade of 8.8. These conform to DIN931, ISO4014 and have tensile strength of 800 N/mm2.

3. The spare wheel carrier is fairly new. Has not been used long enough as yet. Will keep you posted on how it fares.

4. There is fair distance between the exhaust tip and the tyre, and as such has no adverse effect on the tyre.

5. I will separately share pictures of the Trailer Yoke. Due to the SPOA, we had to lower it using a base plate connected to the chassis. The current pictures do not show this well enough.

6. You are quite correct. The T18 does not suit the centered rear differential. I have recommended it to the owner to convert to a differential from MM550. Nevertheless, despite the skewed shaft angle there is absolutely no vibration in the shaft. I have driven this vehicle at 70 - 80 Kmph and it is fairly smooth. But still a differential from 550 would be better suited.

I will post some more pictures of the underbody.

Regards, Jaskirat

Quote:
Originally Posted by V-16 View Post
Oh Sorry My Bad.. I mistook the pipe (or whatever it is) coming out of the rear chassis on the LHS, the bent thing facing downwards as the exhaust pipe when you said relocated the exhaust pipe.

This one looks good and i didnt know it was a customers car, i thought it was yours. You are right if the guy whos paying wants something, its your duty to deliver. Good job mate!! Keep the good work going.

Now since its not your car ill throw in another few bits of mine (hope you dont mind, its just my opinion thats it.) The chrome wheels do not do justice to the Jeep. This needs matt coloured or brushed steel finish, GT style or Mickey Thompson design replicas. They need to be. IMHO, that would complete the butch look but then its an individual choice of the customer.

Good going buddy!!
Hi V-16,

The bent thing is the handle to open the spare wheel carrier. I need to change the angle to get it aligned with the carrier rather than facing downwards.

Once again you are spot on, these wheels don't do justice to the Jeep. It needs GT style wheels. Again, depends on the owner if he is willing to spend. Though he has expressed interest in changing from 33" to 35" tyres and in the process change to GT style wheels.

Regards

Hi Karizma,

Base Jeep is what I got from the customer. The mating of CJ3 Chassis to 540 body was already done. Surprisingly, neither the body has been shortened nor the chassis extended. The wheel track is 51", which is narrow, but works fairly fine due to the wide (12.5") tyres. Wider differentials would have been better.

How the shock perform under extreme offroad conditions is to be seen. The overall travel these shock absorbers have is 9". The way they have been stalled allow 4" extension and 5" compression.

Regards

Last edited by Jaskirat : 18th August 2012 at 11:12.
Jaskirat is offline   (4) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 18th August 2012, 12:52   #12
BANNED

Smile Re: Sneak preview of a SPOA Jeep

Quote:
Originally Posted by karizma9292 View Post
What is the point of using cj3 chassi & mating it to a 540 body , has the boddy been shortened or the chassi extended ,
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaskirat View Post
Surprisingly, neither the body has been shortened nor the chassis extended.
Good food for thought , this may be but would like to draw attention of interested people to following points for comparison between 540 & Cj chassis

1) Total length of the chassis in both vehicles

2) distance of front bumper from the front shackle mount bracket in both

3) Position of Front Leaf spring mount bracket ( non shackle , below driver foot ) in both chassis , compare the 540 mount to Cj , 540 has a curved one to fit on the curved portion & Cj has a straight

Sudarshan

P.S. Noticed the FFRA is that from the commander ?

Last edited by Sudarshan : 18th August 2012 at 12:59.
Sudarshan is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote