Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > 4x4 & Off-Roading > 4x4 Vehicles

Old 15th October 2012, 14:22   #46
Senior - BHPian

Default Re: MM540 4WD - Monkey see, Monkey do !

Thats a big list!! 25K is my guess for the bill, right?
svsantosh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th October 2012, 18:49   #47
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by svsantosh View Post
Thats a big list!! 25K is my guess for the bill, right?
For 25K, they are ready to wash it, grease it and then hand over the keys to me in a white envelope.

More like 48K sire.

Quote:
Originally Posted by codelust View Post
It is not for everyone, but if you choose this road willingly and keep an open mind (and and even more open wallet), you'll do fine in the long run.
The approach of the home grown mechanic is not for me...........not yet. A project where I learn everything and do everything myself will come in due time when I have time and more importantly space. For now, I am very happy handing it to someone like Mr. Nirankar. But yes, I do want to do it someone.

Note from the Team-BHP Support: Please use the EDIT or MULTI-QUOTE buttons instead of typing one post after another on the same thread.

Last edited by moralfibre : 19th October 2012 at 14:35.
Chanderjeet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th October 2012, 20:12   #48
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chanderjeet View Post
The approach of the home grown mechanic is not for me...........not yet. A project where I learn everything and do everything myself will come in due time when I have time and more importantly space. For now, I am very happy handing it to someone like Mr. Nirankar. But yes, I do want to do it someone.
Guess I was being unclear! I did not mean a DIY approach, but one more based on learning/understanding what is being done. Don't have the time or temperament to do anything else as of now :-)
codelust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th October 2012, 20:42   #49
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
For 25K, they are ready to wash it, grease it and then hand over the keys to me in a white envelope.

More like 48K sire.
Hmm, could you provide a breakup or a scan of the bill just for informative purposes? Whats the top 5 buck items in the bill?
Old 16th October 2012, 07:59   #50
BHPian

Here you go. Top 5 items highlighted.

Quote:
Originally Posted by codelust View Post
Guess I was being unclear! I did not mean a DIY approach, but one more based on learning/understanding what is being done. Don't have the time or temperament to do anything else as of now :-)
I see. I wish I could but time is a luxury I don't have. I will do it someday and if all goes out as planned, that time should be here sooner than later.

Note from the Team-BHP Support: Please use the EDIT or MULTI-QUOTE buttons instead of typing one post after another on the same thread.
Attached Thumbnails
MM540 4WD - Monkey see, Monkey do !-bill.jpg  

Last edited by moralfibre : 19th October 2012 at 14:35.
Old 17th October 2012, 13:35   #51
Senior - BHPian

the labor column is actually PerQty*Qty = total cost, it would change order of top spend. Whats the last row meaning 'approx cost of parts 5K' ?
Old 17th October 2012, 14:56   #52
BHPian

Quote:
the labor column is actually PerQty*Qty = total cost, it would change order of top spend. Whats the last row meaning 'approx cost of parts 5K' ?
5k for estimated cost of parts that may be changed while doing all that in the list.
Old 17th October 2012, 15:34   #53
Senior - BHPian

So this list is only for 4 axles/brakes, and steering work as I see it. 48K eh, whew!

So, does the GB, props, engine, cooling, fuel system, electricals need any attention?
Old 17th October 2012, 15:48   #54
BHPian

Talking Re: MM540 4WD - Monkey see, Monkey do !

Chanderjeet, this is probably one of the best written posts I read on the forum. It has turned a boring day into a pleasant. Hillarious! I guess, ‘monkey see, monkey do’ phrase will be in mind for the rest of the evening. Your writing is gooooooooooood. Its gooooooooood (ala Jim Carry in Bruce almighty). Your story is flirting with the dormant jeeper in me. Congratulations on buying your JEEP. Waiting for the updates on your Jeep. All the best.
Farukh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th October 2012, 00:45   #55
BHPian

OUCH!! Thats expensive even by Nirankar's standard. Drums can be turned on the lath for a few hundred bucks and than over sized brake shoe put in if scoring is the only issue. Try deferring steering job as well as long as it is not a safety issue.

Ask for discount. You can get 10% discount on bill on this quantum of work from Nirankar.

This will make the bill around 30-35K and easier to bite.

Then later in the day you can go for Open knuckle front differential tube with disc brake and MRCBT steering which is a recommended upgrade here.

cheers
vishwas

Last edited by vishwaschettri : 18th October 2012 at 00:46.
vishwaschettri is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 18th October 2012, 14:48   #56
BHPian

Quote:
So this list is only for 4 axles/brakes, and steering work as I see it. 48K eh, whew!

So, does the GB, props, engine, cooling, fuel system, electricals need any attention?

You make me worry my man. Very worried indeed. If this is only for axles and brakes and steering then oh boy............ I am squashed. It seems I really did pick the best of the lemons. :My own dumbness is exceeded by none other than me. I put the fun back in dysfunctional.

I hope there is no more expenses that come out of this. I cannot meet them. I may be forced to launch my own Jeep Charity. You will donate now wouldn't you sister?

In totally unrelated news, I called up DLF to check on some properties. I told the lady I want the Vadra rates please. They hung up. No sense of humour I tell you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Farukh View Post
Chanderjeet, this is probably one of the best written posts I read on the forum. It has turned a boring day into a pleasant. Hillarious! I guess, ‘monkey see, monkey do’ phrase will be in mind for the rest of the evening. Your writing is gooooooooooood. Its gooooooooood (ala Jim Carry in Bruce almighty). Your story is flirting with the dormant jeeper in me. Congratulations on buying your JEEP. Waiting for the updates on your Jeep. All the best.
Thanks Farukh and really one should thanks this amazing forum. Here you learn a lot of jeeps, maintenance, hardships, grammer and in general mod driven school like discipline. I once had a dormant jeeper in me. Then I bought this lemon and it has taught me a lot and had me spend a lot. I wish they had a govt bailout for Jeeper and gave priorities to smart ones like me

Last edited by Technocrat : 19th October 2012 at 01:58. Reason: Please read the note in your post, thanks
Chanderjeet is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 18th October 2012, 15:04   #57
BHPian

Wink Re: MM540 4WD - Monkey see, Monkey do !

Post deleted by the Team-BHP Support : Please do NOT post one-liners that add little or no informational value to the thread. We need your co-operation to maintain the overall quality of this forum.

Please read our rules before proceeding any further.

Last edited by GTO : 31st October 2012 at 10:23.
Farukh is offline   Reply With Quote Received Infraction
Old 18th October 2012, 16:36   #58
BHPian

Quote:
I wish they had a govt bailout for Jeeper and gave priorities to smart ones like me
Well first of all thank you for adding quiet a few laughs in my monotonous 'Boredom Building' schedule. I read this thread non-stop in the last 25 minutes and everyone around me is wondering 'this guy is nuts'

Ok, now Congratulations for the purchase, I totally understand (every word man) because I picked up my 'rust bucket' a few months back and I have had the good fortune of being able to meet BD sir who has been very patient and very helpful to make me more intelligent.

My 2 cents on this would measure up to a dime and hence I shall be content with following your thread.

Cheers!
Trojan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th October 2012, 05:23   #59
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trojan View Post
I have had the good fortune of being able to meet BD sir who has been very patient and very helpful to make me more intelligent.
True that. I couldn't agree more.

Now, the KMT90 on my Jeep is busted and I have been suggested to find a replacement. Nirankar ji suggested that I a sell the one I have and get a better condition one from Mayapuri. Has anyone got any idea how to go about that. Any people I can contact, any particular shop I can go to? How much should I pay for one and can I sell the one I have?
Old 19th October 2012, 07:22   #60
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
..Now, the KMT90 on my Jeep is busted and I have been suggested to find a replacement. Nirankar ji suggested that I a sell the one I have and get a better condition one from Mayapuri.
If you are ok with the shift-comfort of KMT90 then its alright else you can upgrade to the 5 speed GB + TC since you are anyways changing your existing gearbox. Though again that will add a good amount to the existing cost but personally i feel this is a good upgrade. And if you go through this root then ask Nirankar ji only to source a good piece for you.
Else for the KMT90 i guess you shouldn't pay more than 8-10k max if you get a piece in excellent condition. And as per mayapuri tradition, dont expect a very decent amount for your old gearbox.
Kandisa is offline   Reply With Quote