Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > 4x4 & Off-Roading > 4x4 Vehicles


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 25th July 2013, 19:05   #31
Senior - BHPian
 
headers's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Greater Chennai
Posts: 4,548
Thanked: 424 Times
Default Re: Our Marshal DI 4x4 NGCS

@Eric: Im tempted to buy a Marshall DI 4x4 looking at the pics
headers is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 25th July 2013, 20:36   #32
BHPian
 
ringoism's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Himachal
Posts: 479
Thanked: 1,093 Times
Default Re: Our Marshal DI 4x4 NGCS

Quote:
Originally Posted by headers View Post
@Eric: Im tempted to buy a Marshall DI 4x4 looking at the pics
Well, as you might've guessed, this one's probably not going to be for sale for a long, long time.....

-Eric
ringoism is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 25th July 2013, 21:19   #33
AVR
BHPian
 
AVR's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Ahmedabad
Posts: 929
Thanked: 511 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by headers View Post
@Eric: Im tempted to buy a Marshall DI 4x4 looking at the pics
Makes sense. It has the classic CJ5 front and a LWB hardtop plus the much-admired NGCS. I've also inquired about a marshal last year but didn't go anywhere. A good powerful engine plus 5speed gearbox and neat and tidy interiors would make it a pretty robust tourer.
If only the roof didn't have that bulge...
AVR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th July 2013, 12:06   #34
BHPian
 
ringoism's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Himachal
Posts: 479
Thanked: 1,093 Times
Default Re: Our Marshal DI 4x4 NGCS

Quote:
Originally Posted by AVR View Post
Makes sense. It has the classic CJ5 front and a LWB hardtop plus the much-admired NGCS. I've also inquired about a marshal last year but didn't go anywhere. A good powerful engine plus 5speed gearbox and neat and tidy interiors would make it a pretty robust tourer.
If only the roof didn't have that bulge...
A better interior (as simple, but with more attractive materials / stitching) is in the works for ours; I'll probably skip the five-speed (unless I found a really good deal on one) since we rarely see highways and at any rate it did well enough at speed with the KMT90/4.27 gears on the Delhi-C'garh expressway some months back (but still considering a change to 3.94 gears, as torque is ample, 4x4 crawl ratio is low, and we don't do much hard-core offroading).

Re: the roof bulge: I didn't like it either, at first (Land Rover Discovery, etc, notwithstanding) - and on account was seriously considering a local '99 Armada 4x4 as an alternative - but since then I've seen a couple of Marshals (and old DP Commanders) done up nice, to where they actually looked well-proportioned. Also seen old Armadas (/Boleros) look either really great or pretty ugly depending largely on the wheel/tire sizing and the "stance" (i.e., heights of the front / rear suspensions). Practically speaking, the Commander/Marshal high roof allows good headroom for rearmost passengers (totally lacking in Armada/Bolero), and ultimately more legroom for more people; Seats in the Marshal were positioned upward to achieve legroom, rather than rearward (Bolero), the latter reducing rear passenger / luggage space considerably in what is already a somewhat undersized (vs. Sumo/Qualis 2wd competitor taxis) interior. The higher seating also provides a more commanding view of the road. I actually have to look down at Bolero drivers!

It's obviously not the vehicle for everyone. But it's a great one for our family, at least. Of course, having a wife who thinks that the non-power-assisted 4x4 steering and the ancient KMT90 makes for a car that "drives very light" - as she traverses our badly broken culvert where the river flows over the road - certainly helps matters considerably (she learned to drive on a 1980's Commander DP, which she still prefers to some more modern vehicles); Whatever may eventually happen to the car, the girl is certainly a keeper "'till death do us part"!

-Eric
Attached Thumbnails
Our Marshal DI 4x4 NGCS-img00813.jpg  

Our Marshal DI 4x4 NGCS-img00814.jpg  


Last edited by ringoism : 27th July 2013 at 12:21.
ringoism is offline   (7) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 23rd October 2013, 22:19   #35
BHPian
 
amrisharm's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: siliguri/Darj
Posts: 504
Thanked: 298 Times
Default Re: Our Marshal DI 4x4 NGCS

wow what a great thread. Great pictures too. I live near the hills of darjeeling and I do see a few Marshals around. This post has really got me curious about this model called the Mahindra Marshal. Can someone enlighten me with regards to questions I have about this model?

1) Is this model still in production? Am thinking not but can someone confirm?
2) The NGCS chassis, from which model year onward do u get the Marshal with this Chassis?
3) You mentioned that parts availability is quite good. Does the Marshal share parts with other mahindra products? If yes which ones?
4) Which engine does the NGCS Marshal use? is that engine used in any other Mahindra product?
5) Is it easy to convert 2wd marhhals to 4wd?
6) And what about 4 speed to 5 speed gearbox conversion? if possible then which mahindra model gearbox fits with the Marshal?
7) Can an AC be fitted on the Marshal? What about a Power Steering Unit?
amrisharm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th October 2013, 17:14   #36
BHPian
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Guntur, AP
Posts: 95
Thanked: 48 Times
Default Re: Our Marshal DI 4x4 NGCS

Excellent pix Eric, I can imagine the number of small detours you must have taken, on foot, to get the superb foreground shots. Kudos> If I took such pictures I would have issues with my wife for not spendind even a fraction of the time capturing her beauty ! But then its a "jeep" thing
maverick56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th October 2013, 20:19   #37
BHPian
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: New Delhi
Posts: 96
Thanked: 143 Times
Default Re: Our Marshal DI 4x4 NGCS

A wonderful vehicle and a well written Thread. I have been follwoing your thread regularly for the past few months. but got an opportunity to comment on it only now (just a week since my membership got approved). I really love and associate with what you have been painstakingly doing to the Marshall. I too like to do most of the stuff with my own hands. I think i even saw your Marshall near Manali during one of my trips there this summer on the way to Leh. I have spent some time in sikkim and the Marshall especially NGCS 4x4 has always been my personal favourite. A pity Mahindra has discontinued production of the Marshall. If only they had projected it as a station wagon version of the Thar. Keep up the good work and take good care of your rare valuable possession. Now that i can PM you, will try and meet up next time i am in Manali to exchange notes.
samwagon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th December 2013, 17:28   #38
BHPian
 
ringoism's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Himachal
Posts: 479
Thanked: 1,093 Times
Default Re: Our Marshal DI 4x4 NGCS

Quote:
Originally Posted by amrisharm View Post
wow what a great thread. Great pictures too. I live near the hills of darjeeling and I do see a few Marshals around. This post has really got me curious about this model called the Mahindra Marshal. Can someone enlighten me with regards to questions I have about this model?

1) Is this model still in production? Am thinking not but can someone confirm?
2) The NGCS chassis, from which model year onward do u get the Marshal with this Chassis?
3) You mentioned that parts availability is quite good. Does the Marshal share parts with other mahindra products? If yes which ones?
4) Which engine does the NGCS Marshal use? is that engine used in any other Mahindra product?
5) Is it easy to convert 2wd marhhals to 4wd?
6) And what about 4 speed to 5 speed gearbox conversion? if possible then which mahindra model gearbox fits with the Marshal?
7) Can an AC be fitted on the Marshal? What about a Power Steering Unit?

Sorry to take so long getting back... was busy getting ready for winter, designing a new-fangled wood stove, then had a new baby!

1) Marshal production ended in 2009, as far as I know
2) NGCS was from (late?) 2000 onwards (there were Marshals in '99, but non-NGCS). 2001-up was definitely all NGCS.
3) Lots of shared parts: basic engine/brakes/axles/hubs/transmission/4x4 gear/most glass/doors and front end sheetmetal all basically interchangeable with Pik-up, Utiliti, and to some extent even Commander (minus engine) and Bolero (minus gearbox and windshield). Many interior parts also (Bolero/Utiliti dashboard, door panels, etc) if you wanted to upgrade (my Marshal dash, in fact, was removed and the flat steel Pik-up one fitted).
4) Most Marshals used the humble but rugged 58bhp non-turbo MDI3200 direct-injection (DI) diesel, though supposedly some of the last batch used the more powerful DI Super (Turbo) engine. Both have been used in many other M&M products.
5) Yes, extremely easy, assuming you can source the parts. Many taxi-wallahs convert their vehicles here annually before the snow comes, and revert back to 2wd in the Spring, to reduce fuel consumption and 4x4 gear wear.
6) Being that the Bolero DI Turbo (incl 4x4) models use a 5-speed, and the DI Turbo (MDI3200TC) engine is based on the Marshal's standard MDI3200, I think it should be pretty easy, though I've not done it (yet).
7) There's a short t-BHP thread elsewhere dedicated to a South Indianh Marshal that has both A/C and P/S, along with a Bolero dashboard, winch, etc, etc. Nice build, though the member has not been active on the forum for a couple years. I've seen a Marshal around Mandi (H.P.) that has also been fitted with P/S - I think he used a Safari or Tata pickup box (not totally sure there) and a little ingenuity. I've also seen one fitted with power windows. the std. DI is a little underpowered, though, so if adding PS & A/C it'd perform a lot better with the turbo engine.

-Eric

Last edited by ringoism : 29th December 2013 at 17:42.
ringoism is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 29th December 2013, 17:53   #39
BHPian
 
ringoism's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Himachal
Posts: 479
Thanked: 1,093 Times
Default Re: Our Marshal DI 4x4 NGCS

Quote:
Originally Posted by samwagon View Post
A wonderful vehicle and a well written Thread. I have been follwoing your thread regularly for the past few months. but got an opportunity to comment on it only now (just a week since my membership got approved). I really love and associate with what you have been painstakingly doing to the Marshall. I too like to do most of the stuff with my own hands. I think i even saw your Marshall near Manali during one of my trips there this summer on the way to Leh. I have spent some time in sikkim and the Marshall especially NGCS 4x4 has always been my personal favourite. A pity Mahindra has discontinued production of the Marshall. If only they had projected it as a station wagon version of the Thar. Keep up the good work and take good care of your rare valuable possession. Now that i can PM you, will try and meet up next time i am in Manali to exchange notes.
A late welcome to the forum and this thread, thanks for reading. Please do get in touch next time you're in the area. Would be nice to meet up.

Yes, it seems that with "retro" styed products (incl. cameras, incidentally) still being a feasible market, that a more family-friendly and upscale 5-dr version of the Thar would've made good sense and maybe sold in decent numbers. Would be kind of like a resurrection of the the last (2000) Armada Grand. Would have to be distinguished from the Bolero somehow, though.

Photo: Where others sit parked, the Marshal pushes through the season's first snow (of course, I must confess that a few minutes after taking this, I slid sideways off the road and got stuck directly up against a stone retaining wall - a couple friends and a bunch of other villagers pushed me out, the only casualty being the left-side mirror! New tires wisely fitted the next day (see 4x4 rims/tyres thread), and it pulled through a lot better after that.

I finished rebuilding the DI engine just a couple weeks before the real cold weather hit. Still not run-in and filled with thicker-grade motor oil than it should be in this climate, but it has been starting up pretty quickly even after nights well below zero C.

-Eric
Attached Thumbnails
Our Marshal DI 4x4 NGCS-img00028.jpg  


Last edited by ringoism : 29th December 2013 at 18:10.
ringoism is offline   (10) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 27th January 2014, 23:02   #40
BHPian
 
ringoism's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Himachal
Posts: 479
Thanked: 1,093 Times
Default Re: Our Marshal DI 4x4 NGCS

Just the latest winter '2013-'14 photos...

1. Coming down from Kothi, above Palchan, with the entire upper valley in view
2. Just down the road from us

So blessed to be able to live here. God is good!
Attached Thumbnails
Our Marshal DI 4x4 NGCS-dscf8010.jpg  

Attached Images
 

Last edited by ringoism : 27th January 2014 at 23:05.
ringoism is offline   (10) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 27th January 2014, 23:12   #41
BHPian
 
ringoism's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Himachal
Posts: 479
Thanked: 1,093 Times
Default Re: Our Marshal DI 4x4 NGCS

Quote:
Originally Posted by maverick56 View Post
If I took such pictures I would have issues with my wife for not spending even a fraction of the time capturing her beauty ! But then its a "jeep" thing
My own wife is truly beautiful in both character and appearance... but not very photogenic, and she knows it... so no issues there ; Apparently, forever photographing machinery distracts her husband from the irritations of his trying to get a good shot of HER - so she seldom complains!
ringoism is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 7th February 2014, 19:24   #42
Senior - BHPian
 
Red Liner's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 1,990
Thanked: 653 Times
Default Re: Our Marshal DI 4x4 NGCS

Probably not the right thread, but I've always wanted to ask folks who've made the move to the mountains...

How the heck do you make a living?

And great jeep by the way (that's one way of making this post relevant!).
Red Liner is offline   (4) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 1st March 2014, 21:25   #43
BHPian
 
ringoism's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Himachal
Posts: 479
Thanked: 1,093 Times
Default Re: Our Marshal DI 4x4 NGCS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Liner View Post
Probably not the right thread, but I've always wanted to ask folks who've made the move to the mountains...

How the heck do you make a living?

And great jeep by the way (that's one way of making this post relevant!).
Glad you like the Jeep. We do too!

Re: your question:

1. A Bihari neighbor: trade shares online; 2. Some Mumbai friendsw: Start a biker cafe/guesthouse/camping facility; 3. A foreigner down the road: Do a Sundays-only pizza / beer bar.

In my own view: 1) Spend some real time getting to know a place (not superficially). 2) Look around for a service or product that would benefit the up-and-coming local and/or tourist population, but has not yet been offered. Or identify a local resource that's not yet been utilized. 3) Figure out how to make that opportunity work within one's means. 4) When it comes time to do it, do it well. Do it with integrity / honesty / sincerity / hard work, or, in the wisdom of one ancient text, "As to the Lord". BTW, it is not too expensive to live up here if you favor simplicity and can live on less earnings (I paid Rs700/mo for rent my first five years!).

PHOTOS:

1&2. A Delhi friend arrived back this morning to snowfall, "the most she'd ever seen". So we figured we'd take her for a little ride (a few km. above Kothi, which I think they clear only for the power project up there - didn't pass a single other car, only a huge snow-blowing machine):
Attached Images
  

Last edited by ringoism : 1st March 2014 at 21:33.
ringoism is offline   (11) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 4th March 2014, 14:35   #44
Team-BHP Support
 
tsk1979's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: New Delhi
Posts: 22,852
Thanked: 15,407 Times
Default Re: Our Marshal DI 4x4 NGCS

Quote:
Originally Posted by ringoism View Post
Glad you like the Jeep. We do too!

Re: your question:

1. A Bihari neighbor: trade shares online; 2. Some Mumbai friendsw: Start a biker cafe/guesthouse/camping facility; 3. A foreigner down the road: Do a Sundays-only pizza / beer bar.

In my own view: 1) Spend some real time getting to know a place (not superficially). 2) Look around for a service or product that would benefit the up-and-coming local and/or tourist population, but has not yet been offered. Or identify a local resource that's not yet been utilized. 3) Figure out how to make that opportunity work within one's means. 4) When it comes time to do it, do it well. Do it with integrity / honesty / sincerity / hard work, or, in the wisdom of one ancient text, "As to the Lord". BTW, it is not too expensive to live up here if you favor simplicity and can live on less earnings (I paid Rs700/mo for rent my first five years!).

PHOTOS:

1&2. A Delhi friend arrived back this morning to snowfall, "the most she'd ever seen". So we figured we'd take her for a little ride (a few km. above Kothi, which I think they clear only for the power project up there - didn't pass a single other car, only a huge snow-blowing machine):
Wow!
We were here too. You saw our safari parked.
We went to the next hairpin beyond the Power Plant and took a U turn when the snow became too thick.
Later in the afternoon, the blower cleared snow all the way to Gulaba. So we went up again, beyond Gulaba. We spend few minutes up there, and by the time we started our return journey to Kothi, there was already 2-3 inches piled up on the roads.
Now I recognize your marshal.. will say hi next time
tsk1979 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th April 2014, 15:33   #45
BHPian
 
ringoism's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Himachal
Posts: 479
Thanked: 1,093 Times
Default Re: Our Marshal DI 4x4 NGCS

For the first time since rebuilding the MDI3200, I got the Marshal out on a much-needed longer drive, a few hours south to NerChowk and back. Main excuse was to visit a few of the scrapyards on the way down and scavenge spare parts...

Was very pleased to average between 13-13.5kpl down and back; better than I thought possible for a full steel-bodied 4x4 Jeep in the hills, on quite broken and tourist-clogged roads about half the time, and moreover running on under-inflated 6x16 cross-ply grippers.

I now consider the repeated 15-16kpl claims for (2WD) Marshal DI's in plains driving fully achievable under normal conditions. And I'm guessing that with Spacio-sized radial tyres and a 5th gear overdrive on ours, it might do even 1-2kpl better on the highway - making it one of the cheaper [re: initial AND running costs] full-size vehicles available to travel India in. Might try for both these upgrades prior to any cross-country journey (H.P. to Mizoram via Nepal, winter 2015/16?).

Anyway, again seeing why operators so liked the original DI - fundamentally unbreakable, no turbo or electronic complications to fail, low fuel consumption, easy and cheap to service / repair, and seemingly more off-idle torque than the MDI turbo models would later offer (I can shift up through the gears leaving the Manali bridge towards Rohtang, and assuming I keep my momentum going a bit, keep it completely in top gear the next several km - up grades and around bends along the Beas, to where I turn off at Nehru Kund; so not an awful lot of gear-changing is required for hill driving).

If one was to be running uphill with a full passenger load and/or A/C & PS and needed to make good time, the Turbo would certainly perform better... but considering the trade-offs (shorter engine life, more components to potentially fail, and likely somewhat lower FE in spirited hill-driving), I'm not feeling so inclined to upgrade at present. Really liking this car.

If the good weather holds out, will in the next few weeks finally be getting all the interior stitching done, as well as re-wiring and the denting / painting (whether complete or partial). With that, I'm expecting a relatively decent-looking and trouble-free all-rounder, do-anything, go-anywhere fully rebuilt / reconditioned ride for at least the next few years to come.

-Eric

Last edited by ringoism : 13th April 2014 at 15:53.
ringoism is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Offroad Marshal Training Course - Level 1 (Junior) Tejas@perioimpl 4x4 Technical 42 4th June 2014 18:16
Desert Storm 2011 Ė Marshal Law trance_nut Indian Motorsport 24 5th March 2011 16:27
Marshal madness-HELP Me Please Ashley Nair Modifications & Accessories 8 27th January 2009 14:16
Renault Roadshow - A Marshal's diary tsk1979 Indian Motorsport 9 10th November 2008 10:55


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 00:31.

Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks