Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > 4x4 & Off-Roading > 4x4 Vehicles

Old 14th November 2012, 17:03   #46
BHPian

Default Re: My '87 Unimog U1150

Hi Siddhartha, you are very lucky indeed to have been able to live most of our dreams.
The common person around on this forum feasts on TLs in Leh-Ladakh dreaming about driving 4x4 beasts on terrain fascinating to both man & machine.
Well you certainly are elite in that regard, for you have the best of both worlds.

I felt a serious lack of adjectives to express about the Unimog.

I feel this is more apt - 'Legends Live where Legends Roam'

Thanks for sharing these exquisite snaps & details about this wonderful machine and yes I am sure that you are soon going to be one of the most 'thanked persons' over here.

Cheers!

Last edited by Trojan : 14th November 2012 at 17:08. Reason: added remarks
Trojan is online now   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 15th November 2012, 20:36   #47
BHPian

Does not seem to have a local number. is this vehicle here on a carnet? How are you planning to register an old vehicle that may have come here on a carnet?
zipperone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th November 2012, 00:05   #48
A M
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by zipperone View Post
Does not seem to have a local number. is this vehicle here on a carnet? How are you planning to register an old vehicle that may have come here on a carnet?
As mentioned by OP, the vehicle was registered in MH by the previous owner.

Quote:
This Mog started life as a Mercedes demonstrator model in Germany, and was never registered for first 10 years, and basically had negligible usage. As a result, when the previous owner came across it in 1997, he was not able to register in Europe due to change emission control laws. After completing the conversion, he decided to bring it to India and shipped to Mumbai, where it sat on docks for 10 months before finally being allow to legally import and register here. (still has MH plates).
A M is online now   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 17th November 2012, 00:50   #49

Quote:
Originally Posted by GunMo View Post
Regarding the parts, why not try sourcing via web? I'm neither an expert in that department nor have sourced anything myself, but have seen many do so for their Skodas, VWs and the likes. (Of course, they are not in the same league as the Mog)!

Further, how good are the tyres? Have you changed it after your buy? Shelving it for 5 years is as good as using it for several thousand kilometres.
Tried the web and sent out many queries... no response. I also tried talking my local mechanic and parts supplier into sourcing parts... not interested. Today I drove down to Kullu and found the truck union, where the lads could not have been more helpful. I will hopefully have the shocks being delivered in next few days. I will either get Sachs, as these are the original, or Gabriels, as these are closer... and look at getting something more robust for the long term a bit later (something like Road Kings look good)

As for tyres, they seem fine... imported Michelins in nearly new condition.
Siddhartha_YT is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 17th November 2012, 09:43   #50
BHPian

Personally I like to travel a little lighter (100kg bike), but I certainly can see the appeal of such a beast; if one needs a motorhome for the rough places, there's obviously nothing better - and it's just so unique and odd - and in the ways it was designed for, very capable.

Generally a few of these machines come through Manali every year, and I guess it was yours that I saw parked beside Rambagh in Manali a few weeks back? Mentioned this thread to a friend who knows your travel co. and also a certain photographer friend named Paul who I think has traveled in it too? Did he click some of those shots???

Enjoy it - you're one of the few who will be able to!

Re: shocks, there are some surprisingly capable rebuilders on the back side (opposite side of the Metro) from Karol Bagh - so if you didn't just leave them along the Manali/Leh road somewhere, you might be able to have one of them open them up and just put new seals in. A friend of mine has even had a shock absorber built from scratch, to his size / specifications, from one of those guys. So I think if you've got your old ones, or at least a sample, and a little time, you should be able to get something workable done. Importing them from Europe would be a royal hassle and expense. Indian ingenuity sometimes travels a lot further on a lot less cash.

-Erik
ringoism is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 17th November 2012, 13:27   #51
BHPian

Hey Siddhartha! Just stumbled upon this thread and cant believe I really saw what I did!! Totally jaw dropping!

You are one lucky man, as someone said, living in pure nirvana. We lesser mortals can at max think about a Jeep and sometimes we cant even get our hands on it. You have the god of all 4x4s. Keep it like one!

Saw a Mog for the first time in Germany. Not sure which series it was but it looked a bit different than yours. Was all in awe for few days seeing it in flesh.

Wish you millions of miles with your Mog!! Enjoy your Nirvana!!

Cheers
Vinay
vinayrathore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th November 2012, 23:25   #52

Quote:
Originally Posted by ringoism View Post
...Mentioned this thread to a friend who knows your travel co. and also a certain photographer friend named Paul who I think has traveled in it too? Did he click some of those shots???

Re: shocks, there are some surprisingly capable rebuilders on the back side (opposite side of the Metro) from Karol Bagh - so if you didn't just leave them along the Manali/Leh road somewhere, you might be able to have one of them open them up and just put new seals in. A friend of mine has even had a shock absorber built from scratch, to his size / specifications, from one of those guys. So I think if you've got your old ones, or at least a sample, and a little time, you should be able to get something workable done. Importing them from Europe would be a royal hassle and expense. Indian ingenuity sometimes travels a lot further on a lot less cash.

-Erik
Hi Erik, probably was me parked in Manali, I haven't seen any other Mogs since getting back here. And yes, Paul and I are old travel buddies and Yak Trak associates. He usually organises the treks and photographic tours and no, he hasn't been in the Mog as yet, nor shot any images, all mine to date.

Re: The Shocks! I found the only outlet in Kullu valley who rebuilds shocks, (trying to get the job done locally if possible) but the operator was out for the foreseeable future, so I've managed to find a supplier in Delhi who is sending me a sample shockie on the bus tonight. If it's a match, I'll get 3 more and see how it feels. I will certainly get the old ones rebuilt when possible, and keep as spares, as they got the Mog thru the first 25 years. (for anyone interested, the OEM's are Sachs BOGE 310799)

I would be curious to find a master shockie builder to see if we could rig up a locally produced version of a premium shock, and see how that compares as the combination of a heavy truck on himalayan roads certainly gives the shockies a bit of a workout. If you have a contact, I would be very interested.

Cheers!
Siddhartha_YT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th November 2012, 11:46   #53

Just a quick update for those interested in the Shocks part of this story, the Gabriel sample that was sent up from Delhi had the wrong size eyes (bush was 5/8 inch and I need 3/4) so in the end, sent that back and sent a sample original down to delhi. My man in Delhi eventually found a Eurotech shocker that had similar size and shape, with small enough variations that I am now giving them a go. The ride improvement so far is immense, and I'm looking forward now to giving them a bit of a workout as soon as I can. I'll post some photo's soon of the Mog doing its thing on some interesting terrain.

Here is a shot of the old shocks coming out, and also shows the portal hubs, that help give the Mog its excellent ground clearance.
Attached Thumbnails
My '87 Unimog U1150-l1110007.jpg  

Last edited by Technocrat : 26th November 2012 at 23:56. Reason: back to back posts merged
Siddhartha_YT is offline   (4) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 30th December 2012, 18:23   #54
BHPian

Hi Siddhartha,

I was in Manali last week of November and saw this baby parked enroute to the hot springs. Taken some pics that i can put up here if thats ok with you.
satan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd January 2013, 19:29   #55

Quote:
Originally Posted by satan View Post
Hi Siddhartha,

I was in Manali last week of November and saw this baby parked enroute to the hot springs. Taken some pics that i can put up here if thats ok with you.
Sure, that's fine to post some pics of the Mog. I've since driven from Manali to Gujarat via Rajasthan, and will be posting some pics of the journey so far on a new thread.

Since I raised the issue of shockers in this thread, I can now comment on the new shockers I installed before I left in Manali. They are Eurotech parts sourced in Delhi, and unfortunately I have to say they are very disappointing. By the time I reach Jaisalmer, I had to reduce cruising speed to 50kmph as the sway became too pronounced. I had the option of sending them back to Delhi, leaving me with nothing, or get them repaired on the spot. I opted for the latter, as I didn't like the idea of being left with nothing and getting an unknown option as replacement, and I was curious to see why they were not functioning as they should. On opening the first one, we found it was filled only with about 1/3 to 1/2 of the proper amount of oil, and otherwise the seals were ok (there was no sign of leakage). I had both the fronts opened, refilled and reinstalled, and the improvement in drivability was dramatic. I then had the rears done... all were short on oil! So, I won't be purchasing Eurotech in the future. Unfortunately, I won't be able to claim any warrenty either, as I had to open each of the parts to repair, but I have decided to live with that choice. At first opportunity I will get the originals repaired as well (i sadly opted to leave them in Manali as I didn't conceive I would be needed more shockers so soon).

So, keep an eye out for the new thread on the Adventures of Moggy!
Siddhartha_YT is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 3rd January 2013, 21:48   #56
BHPian

Thanks Siddhartha. I think the vehicle has phenomenal presence and at the same time is right-sized. The level of offroad and recovery kit on the vehicle is truly amazing . Let the pics talk..
Attached Images

satan is offline   (10) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 11th January 2013, 19:49   #57
BHPian

How on earth did I miss this thread!

I hadn't heard of a "Unimog" until now, but I am glad I did now.

A few questions:
1. Were the RTO guys aware of this vehicle when you transferred it to your name? What were their comments.
2. Doesn't a 25 year old vehicle have to go through some kind of fitness test?
3. What do you do for service and repairs - all on your own?

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaddyCrew View Post
Just a couple of days ago, I stumbled upon this article on the Unimog:

http://autos.yahoo.com/blogs/motoram...181556572.html

And today I get to read about a 'desi' Unimog on our very own TeamBHP. Wow!!!
The Unimog that schwarzenegger is driving looks domesticated compared to Siddhart's wild beast.
vasanthn21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th January 2013, 13:25   #58

Quote:
Originally Posted by vasanthn21 View Post
How on earth did I miss this thread!

I hadn't heard of a "Unimog" until now, but I am glad I did now.

A few questions:
1. Were the RTO guys aware of this vehicle when you transferred it to your name? What were their comments.
2. Doesn't a 25 year old vehicle have to go through some kind of fitness test?
3. What do you do for service and repairs - all on your own?

The Unimog that schwarzenegger is driving looks domesticated compared to Siddhart's wild beast.
I talked to RTO in Leh, and they were quite comfortable that the vehicle will transfer, as all the papers are in order, but they stressed that it has to go to Pune for actual transfer as that is where the registration is held. Hence the reason for including Pune in the tour.
Regarding age, no fitness test required so far, and if so, would pass with flying colours... this vehicle is far 'fitter' than most new cars straight from the factory.
So far all service has been owner operated (previous owner gave me comprehensive instructions for servicing the vehicle) and apparently the Mercedes Benz dealership in Delhi have also been involved at some point.

Regarding Arnie's Mog... I have to agree about that!

:-)

And finally, an unfortunate bit of news for me, but a lucky break for someone else... I have urgent business to attend to, so have decided to sell the unimog if I receive a good enough offer. Please don't waste anyone's time making lowball offers, I'm not desperate, but my time is now required elsewhere and I would rather see this machine being loved and used as it is intended, rather than stored in some garage.

I'll be in Pune later this month (January 2013) and available to show serious prospects. Contact me privately for more info: yaktrak@gmail.com
Siddhartha_YT is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 15th January 2013, 16:42   #59
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Siddhartha_YT View Post

And finally, an unfortunate bit of news for me, but a lucky break for someone else... I have urgent business to attend to, so have decided to sell the unimog if I receive a good enough offer. Please don't waste anyone's time making lowball offers, I'm not desperate, but my time is now required elsewhere and I would rather see this machine being loved and used as it is intended, rather than stored in some garage.

I'll be in Pune later this month (January 2013) and available to show serious prospects. Contact me privately for more info: yaktrak@gmail.com

Here's the listing.
http://classifieds.team-bhp.com/buy-...z/Unimog.html/
Wish I could afford :(
vikramvicky1984 is offline   Reply With Quote