Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > 4x4 & Off-Roading > 4x4 Vehicles

Old 17th November 2015, 13:24   #196
BHPian

Default Re: A Biker to a Jeeper - Mahindra Thar Crde

Quote:
Originally Posted by amolpol View Post
[list=1][*]235/70/r16 - 29 inch, stock size, AT available but no MT in this size. Use this size for peace of mind for normal running conditions and switch to AT for some offroading.[*]255/65/r16 - 29 inch, one size up, AT available but no MT in this size, wider profile could cause some touching with stock rims or alloys, will need negative offset alloys. Use this if you want a wider stance for the jeep, the tyres will protrude a bit throwing up mud and water at the sides.
!
Hi Amol,

first up i must say your Thar looks beautiful & rugged ! just went through your thread.

I took delivery of my Black Thar (2015) last week and have started making minor modifications & additions. New music system, mats, horn have been installed.

Next up is the expedition kit front bumper & bull bar.

I need your advice for the choice of tyres. I definitely want alloys put for aesthetic reasons.
BD sir has said to retain the stock tyres. What size rims would you recommend on the stock tyres.?
90% of my driving is in Jammu, Delhi city and on national highways across North India.
Im not big into off roading at all.

The Thar is my primary vehicle and daily driver.

Appreciate your inputs.

cheers

Kundan
Ksingh544 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th November 2015, 07:54   #197
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ksingh544 View Post
Hi Amol,

first up i must say your Thar looks beautiful & rugged ! just went through your thread.

I took delivery of my Black Thar (2015) last week and have started making minor modifications & additions. New music system, mats, horn have been installed.

Next up is the expedition kit front bumper & bull bar.

I need your advice for the choice of tyres. I definitely want alloys put for aesthetic reasons.
BD sir has said to retain the stock tyres. What size rims would you recommend on the stock tyres.?
90% of my driving is in Jammu, Delhi city and on national highways across North India.
Im not big into off roading at all.

The Thar is my primary vehicle and daily driver.

Appreciate your inputs.

cheers

Kundan
Hi Kundan

You could choose from a range of 160pcd 16-inch alloys to go with the stock tyres. Just make sure you're sticking to 6.5J-8J wide rims since the 10J rims won't be suited for the 235 section stock tyres.

Most of the aftermarket alloys have negative offset which makes the wheels protrude outside the body line and though they look cool they cause a lot of mud splash in wet conditions. The mahindra alloys (if u like them) available for scorpio/thar wouldn't have that issue but they're generally little more expensive than the aftermarket options.

If you're thinking of changing tyres....don't. I'd suggest you stick to the Bridgestones for road use and save that money.

Hope this helps, happy jeeping!
amolpol is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 18th November 2015, 12:41   #198
BHPian

dear ksingh, Congratulations on your Thar. I just want to let you know what I did for my Thar wheels.

I changed the tyres to a wider size Yokohama which for sure adds to the character. But in your case, if you want to retain the bridgestones, that is fine too.

I was looking to see how to get the back wheels pushed outside to match with the fender flares and luckily when i put the below alloys, it automatically matched it due to negative offset.

I went in for Neo Alloys, I think 7J wheels which nicely pushed the rear wheels perfectly. But, yes, the front wheels are much outside and I have gone for some DIY added flares to match the Wheel protrusion. These are the pictures i had handy, have a look.

A Biker to a Jeeper - Mahindra Thar Crde-alloy-wheel.jpg
The next one, if you carefully look, you can see rear matching the fender and front DIY work to match
A Biker to a Jeeper - Mahindra Thar Crde-alloy-wheel1.jpg

Swami
swami69 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 18th November 2015, 12:51   #199
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by swami69 View Post
I went in for Neo Alloys, I think 7J wheels which nicely pushed the rear wheels perfectly. But, yes, the front wheels are much outside and I have gone for some DIY added flares to match the Wheel protrusion. These are the pictures i had handy, have a look.
Swami, those fender flare extensions look interesting. Can you share more details about what you did, please?

Thanks,
Preetham
PreethamB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th November 2015, 13:04   #200
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PreethamB View Post
Swami, those fender flare extensions look interesting. Can you share more details about what you did, please?

Thanks,
Preetham
hope amolpol won't mind me posting it here. My added flares are no way permanent or a strong fix. They are just to protect water from flashing on the sides and temporary. But, I should say, it is holding good for 6 months now
  • 4 mm foam board cut to 2 inches width for the length of the fender
  • Use a drywall or self drilling small screw to secure it to the fender from below at few places - one by one and slowly bend the board to the fenders contours
  • Put sufficient drops of Anabond fast fixing compound and hold the board tight for few seconds. It bonds !.
  • Then apply black silicone generously in the gap between this board and fender and wipe it clean
  • Spray paint the fender using matt or glossy black aerosol

This is perfect till the time someone or something bangs on that board, then it just breaks. But, if it happens, another 30 minutes work to redo a new one, that is all.

Hope it helps.

Swami
swami69 is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 29th December 2015, 15:00   #201
BHPian

Ok, so the jeep bug has finally bitten (same thing happened back in 2009 with Bullet and I ended up buying a 1989 STD 350). I'm a newbie to Jeeps and have few queries. Expecting some serious guidance from all the Jeep Gurus there.

1. While browsing through some threads I came across some comments suggesting old jeeps being slow. What about MM550 with XD3P engine which produces more than 70 BHP? Is it slow too? I mean my Ford Figo diesel churns out only 68 BHP.

2. Roughly, how much it would cost to fully restore a MM550 from scrap state? I do not wish to do any fancy modification and want to keep it as stock as possible.

3. Is Thar DI slower than MM550?

4. If I get a power stearing and AC fitted in MM550, will that void the insurance policy?

5. And the most important one - Can a MM550 with PS&AC used as daily drive?

I do not want to buy Thar CRDI. Why? Simply because its way out of my budget!
Ford_d_Kool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th December 2015, 21:59   #202
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ford_d_Kool View Post
1. While browsing through some threads I came across some comments suggesting old jeeps being slow. What about MM550 with XD3P engine which produces more than 70 BHP? Is it slow too? I mean my Ford Figo diesel churns out only 68 BHP.

Can a FIGO hook a trailer and climb a HILL?? I'm hoping you got the answer..

2. Roughly, how much it would cost to fully restore a MM550 from scrap state? I do not wish to do any fancy modification and want to keep it as stock as possible.

More than 1.2 lakhs if its truly a scrap vehicle, I'm assuming you want to pickup a army auctioned one

Its like asking if Grandpa can out run dad.. Unless grandpa is fit in shape..

4. If I get a power stearing and AC fitted in MM550, will that void the insurance policy?

Power Steering you mean! Seriously do you plan to get comprehensive insurance on your 550?

Yes you can, but remember its not going to be a smooth ride back home.. infact if its a restored 550 keep a tool box handy too..
Hope the answers help, these are the best candid answers I can give you. Remember restoring any vehicle is not a day one job, it does have its fair up and downs and you got to be prepared for it.

If you are serious about this, go through all the threads in this forum and how the members have moved forward with restoration and how many sold their vehicles after that..

Last edited by Twinn : 29th December 2015 at 22:00.
Twinn is offline   (3) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 30th December 2015, 11:04   #203
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twinn View Post
Hope the answers help, these are the best candid answers I can give you. Remember restoring any vehicle is not a day one job, it does have its fair up and downs and you got to be prepared for it.

If you are serious about this, go through all the threads in this forum and how the members have moved forward with restoration and how many sold their vehicles after that..
Cheers mate!

I think I better wait ans save some money and go for CRDe version.
Ford_d_Kool is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 30th December 2015, 11:46   #204
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ford_d_Kool View Post
I'm a newbie to Jeeps and have few queries. Expecting some serious guidance from all the Jeep Gurus there. D
Ans. Jeep is meant to be driven below 100 kmph. Even if you fit 200 BHP engine ride and handling above 110 kmph is scary to say the least

Ans: Scrap vehicle non NGCS – 80,00
Registration – 55,000
Restoration (basic) excluding tyres & alloys – 1,00,000

Ans: Nope

Ans: What insurance you are talking about. 99% old jeep owners (including me) do third party insurance because of regulatory norms

Ans: Yes, but your cooling system will have to be PERFECT else you will blow head gasket within weeks

I do not want to buy Thar CRDI. Why? Simply because its way out of my budget!
Ans: If you cant go through the headache of buying auctioned jeep and restoring it (its not everyone’s cup of tea) better buy a restored 550. Else save money and buy good second hand Thar CRDe

But most important of all, please make up your mind whether you really want to buy a JEEP. Its not just another car, it does not have creature comforts, its not comfortable, its high on maintenance, its open (unless you have hardtop). BUT, IT’S A JEEP
Shubhendra is online now   (6) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 31st December 2015, 10:26   #205
BHPian

Post deleted by the Team-BHP Support : Please do NOT post messages that add little or no informational value to the thread. We need your co-operation to maintain the quality of this forum.

Please read our rules before proceeding any further. We request you to post ONLY when you have something substantial to add to a discussion.

Last edited by GTO : 1st January 2016 at 16:46.
Ford_d_Kool is offline   Reply With Quote Received Infraction
Old 13th January 2016, 15:19   #206
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amolpol View Post
Hi Kundan

You could choose from a range of 160pcd 16-inch alloys to go with the stock tyres. Just make sure you're sticking to 6.5J-8J wide rims since the 10J rims won't be suited for the 235 section stock tyres.

Most of the aftermarket alloys have negative offset which makes the wheels protrude outside the body line and though they look cool they cause a lot of mud splash in wet conditions. The mahindra alloys (if u like them) available for scorpio/thar wouldn't have that issue but they're generally little more expensive than the aftermarket options.

If you're thinking of changing tyres....don't. I'd suggest you stick to the Bridgestones for road use and save that money.

Hope this helps, happy jeeping!
Hi Amol,

my apologies for the late reply, for some reason i didnt get a notification. Thank you for your suggestions and i will bear them in mind when i go hunting for alloys.
Ive driven close to 4000 kms on the stock tyre setup including 2 Delhi-Jammu round trips. The Thar has been performing well, the only issue being faced is the unbearable noise from the flapping soft top.

cheers

Kundan

Quote:
dear ksingh, Congratulations on your Thar. I just want to let you know what I did for my Thar wheels.

I changed the tyres to a wider size Yokohama which for sure adds to the character. But in your case, if you want to retain the bridgestones, that is fine too.

I was looking to see how to get the back wheels pushed outside to match with the fender flares and luckily when i put the below alloys, it automatically matched it due to negative offset.

Attachment 1440945
The next one, if you carefully look, you can see rear matching the fender and front DIY work to match
Attachment 1440946

Swami
Hi Swami,

thank you for your inputs ! What size Yokos have you gone with ? Judging from your pics 7J seems to align the tyre with the fender (like your rear) and 8J will probably make it protrude just a tad bit.
In your experience has this had any effect on the handling of the vehicle?
With the stock set up i find the Thar planted & firm on the highway at speeds of 100-110 kmph and i dont want to lose this for aesthetics.

cheers

Kundan
Ksingh544 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th January 2016, 15:28   #207
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ksingh544 View Post
Hi Swami,

thank you for your inputs ! What size Yokos have you gone with ? Judging from your pics 7J seems to align the tyre with the fender (like your rear) and 8J will probably make it protrude just a tad bit.
In your experience has this had any effect on the handling of the vehicle?
With the stock set up i find the Thar planted & firm on the highway at speeds of 100-110 kmph and i dont want to lose this for aesthetics.

cheers

Kundan
I think the tyre size is 255 60/R16 which is equivalent to the overall profile of the OE size. By using this 7J wheels, the rear wheels perfectly fit the outer of the fender and it looks fantastic. For the front wheels, the tyres come out by an inch from the fender and I did a DIY to seal that as well. So, no need for spacers etc., to match the fenders. The aesthetics improved automatically.

I did not find any difference/deterioration in handling because of this change. It works good for me.

Swami
swami69 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 13th January 2016, 17:49   #208
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
I think the tyre size is 255 60/R16 which is equivalent to the overall profile of the OE size.
Did you face any fouling of the front tyres on the inside at full lock? My Thar had 255/55/16 and tyres used to touch the balance rod at full lock.
Jaggu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st January 2016, 13:13   #209
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggu View Post
Did you face any fouling of the front tyres on the inside at full lock? My Thar had 255/55/16 and tyres used to touch the balance rod at full lock.
Sorry for the delay in answering. I checked it out and I do not find rubbing/touching against anything. BTW what were the offset of your wheels ? I guess it could be different if both our wheels are different in their respective offsets with a similar tyre.

Swami
swami69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st January 2016, 15:05   #210
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Sorry for the delay in answering. I checked it out and I do not find rubbing/touching against anything. BTW what were the offset of your wheels ? I guess it could be different if both our wheels are different in their respective offsets with a similar tyre.

Swami
I had 0 offset stock black rims. Now moved to the imported steel disk with offset, so no issues with 31" tyres.
Jaggu is offline   Reply With Quote