Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > 4x4 & Off-Roading > 4x4 Vehicles

Old 13th January 2013, 13:18   #91
BHPian

Default Re: A Biker to a Jeeper - Mahindra Thar Crde

Quote:
Originally Posted by amolpol View Post
Yeah, I was thinking of options to get a proper finish for the roll bar. Do you think I should ask the ASC guys to do the dupont paint or just get it done from outside? How much would it cost me approximately?
please come to laggere asc, will sort out your all issues to your 100% satisfaction.
Rajith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th January 2013, 13:22   #92
BHPian

Yesterday evening I went to Autoshop and got a new set of Hella horns fixed. In my discussion with the guys there, they suggested that I switch over to the peep-peep type horns instead of the skoda type since there was very little that anyone could do to damage them. Now, this wasn't what I had in mind for the jeep and that's why I had installed the skoda type horns in the first place, but as they say 'once bitten twice shy', I give up my preference to the longevity factor of the hella red grill supertone horn.

Name:  Hella.jpg
Views: 7342
Size:  140.5 KB

Subsequently, while window shopping at the JBL outlet in Forum Mall, I chanced upon this little piece of gadgetry which seemed to solve my need for music in the jeep. The JBL Ontour IBT is portable speaker which can be hooked on to an IPhone/IPad/Ipod or connected to any other phone over bluetooth. It also acts as a handsfree unit over bluetooth and runs on 4AA batteries or through an AC-DC adapter.

Name:  JBL.jpg
Views: 8056
Size:  32.5 KB

Now, I do have a full fledged music system that I took out from the i10 which includes the following:

- Pioneer 6050 UB (single DIN)
- JBL CS60.4 (4-channel AMP)
- Infinity Ref 6030CS (Front compos)
- JBL 608C (Rear compos)
- JBL Bass Tube 12"

The 4-ch amp and bass tube were not going to be installed in the jeep for obvious reasons. Ever since I decided to install the Innova seats at the rear, I've been thinking of options to mount the component speakers and whether I should settle for just two or put all four etc etc. One thing that always bothered me with the setup was the space it'd take in the jeep and electronics it added. I want to keep the jeep free from electronic accessories as much as possible so that I can use it open-top even in the rains without much worry. This small speaker system should take care of all my bare basic needs for music in the jeep and relieve me of all the installation work for the ICE.

Now, the JBL Ontour may not be the most ideal sound setup considering that I've always had good music setup in all my cars, but this isn't a car but a jeep and thus can be different. The little piece of hardware has good enough volume and balanced sound clarity. The bass is not heavy but you wouldn't expect that from it too, I found it better than the Bose soundlink which I had auditioned some weeks ago. It sounds really good inside closed rooms and can easily double up as a portable sound device for on our holidays too. Best part is that it sits perfectly at the center of the dash, just above the AC vents which is a nice position for accessing its controls when using it as a handsfree. I'm planning to put it on the dash for a while until I find a way to roof mount it to save it from the sun. Yet another piece of customization at hand, but this one is not going to be all that difficult I hope.

PS: Pics are off the internet and used for illustration purpose only. Copyright with the original owners.

^^^@Rajith, visiting laggere may be difficult given that it's too far for me, but if you think it can be done at the ASC, I can get it done at the whitefield branch.

Last edited by amolpol : 13th January 2013 at 13:25.
amolpol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st January 2013, 02:19   #93
BHPian

Got a confirmation that the missing clamp has now arrived and I can get it fitted on Monday at the ITPL service center. Meanwhile, my question on the different clearances on both sides is still awaiting clarification.

Last week, I noticed that couple of times when I pressed the brake pedal and there was absolutely no response. In fact, the pedal used to feel like the accelerator and I thought it could be my floaters pressing the wrong pedal accidentally. This issue mainly happened when the jeep was in slower speeds and hence the reflex actions of releasing the pedal and jamming it again worked pretty much all the time. But I was left thinking as to why I was pressing the throttle instead of the brakes when driving is a second nature and I have never ever had a similar situation before.

Today morning as I was parking the jeep I realized that the brake pedal did the same thing again. Fortunately, I was able to hold my foot in that position and figure out that the issue was indeed with the brake pedal itself and not my feet pressing the accelerator. It feels as if there is no pressure on the brakes and the response is back after I pump the pedal once or twice.

HOpefully the picture below will help you understand what the issue is. Although, the issue does not happen all the time and that the brakes come to life right after you pump them once this happens, it is potentially quite risky to drive the jeep that way.

A Biker to a Jeeper - Mahindra Thar Crde-tharbrakes.jpg

Now what I want to understand is whether it's just me who's seen this happening or there are people out there who have had narrow misses because of this. Also, if someone has overcome the situation, then what was done to tackle it. For now, I'm going to talk to the Mahindra ASC tomorrow when I visit for the clamp fitment on the roll cage.
amolpol is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 21st January 2013, 06:29   #94
BHPian

I have not heard anyone who has come across something like this ,this is not a good one .

You will be aware that the "Thar " has got the pre 2006 scorpio brake booster, calipers etc which does not provide apt braking power .

Mahindra has replaced the brake booster to a bigger one, either the ones which comes in the 2006 scorpio or Mhawk , under warranty to atleast a couple of customers upon insistence.
I guess you are going to visit the ASC ,might as well get your brake booster replaced.

Rajith will be the right person to guide you .

By the way your Thar looks nice.
slalom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd January 2013, 19:53   #95
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by slalom View Post
I have not heard anyone who has come across something like this ,this is not a good one .
Well, I got this checked again today, it's definitely not an issue you can live with. The last time they bled the brakes and asked me to see if the issue was resolved but no avail. In the past 2 days I've narrowly missed rear ending twice already because the pedal just gives in and I have to react quickly by pumping the pedal to get braking.

Today, I was at the ITPL yet again and insisted that they inspected the brakes for this problem. The guy found a leak in the brake fluid at the rear so they took it in and have fixed it. I'm not so sure if its resolved until I use it for the next 2-3 days and confirm it. Tomorrow I'm leaving for the BAOTR-2013 and the brakes are going to be tested fully over the 2 day event.

Quote:
Mahindra has replaced the brake booster to a bigger one, either the ones which comes in the 2006 scorpio or Mhawk , under warranty to atleast a couple of customers upon insistence.
I guess you are going to visit the ASC ,might as well get your brake booster replaced.
I don't know if they will upgrade the brakes willingly, but it would definitely be a step in the right direction if they do.

Quote:
By the way your Thar looks nice.
Thanks

Another update from today's visit is that the missing clamp is still not fixed, even though the clamp is now found. When I visited on Monday, they figured that the original part does not fit the assembly since the clearances are different. So all the waiting for the clamp was a waste!

The ASC manager told me that he'll get a new one fabricated which will fit the current dimensions and that I could get it by Tuesday. But even today, the new clamp was not ready and I'm hoping to get it by tomorrow if luck be on my side.

The good thing about today was that I finally got the 12V charging socket fixed and that felt like a big achievement given the runaround I've been doing for that one. I just bought one from outside and gave it to the ASC guys to fix since they've always had some sob story about not having it in the spares or accessories department. Now I don't need to worry about charging my phone when I'm out at the OTR.
Old 25th January 2013, 22:30   #96
BHPian

Quote:
Another update from today's visit is that the missing clamp is still not fixed, even though the clamp is now found. When I visited on Monday, they figured that the original part does not fit the assembly since the clearances are different. So all the waiting for the clamp was a waste!

The ASC manager told me that he'll get a new one fabricated which will fit the current dimensions and that I could get it by Tuesday. But even today, the new clamp was not ready and I'm hoping to get it by tomorrow if luck be on my side.
Dear Amolpol,

I've had the exact same experience with this clamp. I was told not available with no offer of fabrication so I gave up months ago. If you get one, please do let me know. I'll go to heaven and back for this clamp!

On another note, good choice of the Hella Red grills. I have the same and quite happy with it. I am not prone to honking at all except under extreme provocation by someone who cuts in too close. The effect is pleasantly devastating!

Lovely photography mate. Enjoy your Thar!

Best regards,

Suedehead
Suedehead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th January 2013, 14:11   #97
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suedehead View Post
Dear Amolpol, I've had the exact same experience with this clamp. I was told not available with no offer of fabrication so I gave up months ago. If you get one, please do let me know. I'll go to heaven and back for this clamp! Suedehead
Dear Suedehead - please do not go to heaven and back for the rollover bar to targa band clamp to come, it is not made in Nasik or even in India or even in heaven, it is made in Rome by my good friend Mr.Luigi Molfetta for Europe Thar LHD to meet European homologation! . Please take measurements in X (longitudinal) and Z (vertical) axes, take a small length of rectangular pipe, drill holes in it as required, use minumum amount of spacers and you will have the clamp which will be better than the Italian one. It will provide good support to the targa band and it will make the doors to behave better!

As far as the vertical supports on the rear wheelarch are concerned, these are necessary to meet the EEC norms for rear seat belts, required for Europe Thar LHD. As far as I remember (I may be wrong here), the corresponding hole and reinforcement to fix this mounting is not provided on domestic Thar RHD body as domestic Thar does not have front facing rear seats. You may ignore it or locally fabricate a mounting, it is very simple to do, mark out the circle, drill in the center, use spacers as required and fix it.

If ASCs cannot imagine and do this much also for one vehicle, heaven help them! .

Best regards,

Behram Dhabhar
DHABHAR.BEHRAM is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 4th February 2013, 01:50   #98
BHPian

Quote:
I have done about 1300kms with the stock wheels and the Maxxis on various terrains and speeds, so it's very unlikely that it went unnoticed this long. If not me, it could have been someone else sitting with me who would have pointed it out if there was tyre noise.

Now, it doesn't even take 5 mins for anyone to notice that there is noise from the tyres and it changes as per the speed of the jeep.

I was thinking of damping the doors when I'd install the music system but you're right, may be even some parts of the floor and the wheel wells can also use it. I'm actually looking out to get some thicker mats made for the jeep, will PM you to get details on what you've done.
Hi Amol, quick question regarding the tyres.

What profile are you using. Is the grip on the road satisfactory?

Considering the same tyres on my thar.

PS. chose to go for black after looking at your pics.
obaidhakim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th February 2013, 10:35   #99
BHPian

Hi everyone,
Couldnt help but mention my two pence.
I got my silver Thar Crde 5 mths ago.Have driven almost 8000kms and just one word...brilliant..minor hassles but you can live with it and it just grows on you.
Been on highways,jungles,hills..minor offroadng,snow,it took everything in its stride.
Sometimes things make squeaks,noises but that just completes the experience of not having any music in it.
Just one downside is the pain of having to go halfway around the world to do any servicing and the general manner of the service provided.After having lived with a beamer maybe the expectations are high but the absoloute incompetence of some nincompoops really gets my goat..
On the bright side the GM sales is an enthu guy with Thar close to his heart and a wonderful chap to boot,so it helps .
No modifications as yet.missus loves it and scares the heeebeejeeebies out of the other drivers on the road when shes driving.
Hope to get some like minded people and start an offroading meet or something soon.
Regards
tomtom is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 4th February 2013, 21:47   #100
BHPian

Quote:
Dear Amolpol,

I've had the exact same experience with this clamp. I was told not available with no offer of fabrication so I gave up months ago. If you get one, please do let me know. I'll go to heaven and back for this clamp!
Well, it may not be worth waiting for it if it doesn't fit in the end. It may be better that you get a clamp done yourself from a local fabricator.

Quote:
On another note, good choice of the Hella Red grills. I have the same and quite happy with it. I am not prone to honking at all except under extreme provocation by someone who cuts in too close. The effect is pleasantly devastating!
The horns do their job well I suppose, I'm hoping they'll be able to take the water sprays better than the earlier ones.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DHABHAR.BEHRAM View Post
If ASCs cannot imagine and do this much also for one vehicle, heaven help them! .
May be you should say heaven help the customers who have no choice but to rely on the ASCs to get their issues addressed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by obaidhakim View Post
Hi Amol, quick question regarding the tyres.

What profile are you using. Is the grip on the road satisfactory?

Considering the same tyres on my thar.

PS. chose to go for black after looking at your pics.
I'm running on the Bighorn 245/75 R16. They're a little taller than the stock 29ers at about 30.6 inches. If you're running stock wheels then the front tires will rub a bit on full turns, but I've had that issue go away since the alloys came in.

The road performance is strictly okay, but they're not ATs and hence the expectation shouldn't be that they will do well on tarmac. The steering feels a bit lighter though because of the lower contact patch overall but the braking distance is higher. I chose the MTs since I have no plans of using the jeep as a tourer and I do plan to participate in as many OTRs as possible, but I would have gone with the ATs if I was going to use it for highway drives.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomtom View Post
I got my silver Thar Crde 5 mths ago.Have driven almost 8000kms and just one word...brilliant..minor hassles but you can live with it and it just grows on you.
Been on highways,jungles,hills..minor offroadng,snow,it took everything in its stride.
Sometimes things make squeaks,noises but that just completes the experience of not having any music in it.
Just one downside is the pain of having to go halfway around the world to do any servicing and the general manner of the service provided.After having lived with a beamer maybe the expectations are high but the absoloute incompetence of some nincompoops really gets my goat..
On the bright side the GM sales is an enthu guy with Thar close to his heart and a wonderful chap to boot,so it helps .
No modifications as yet.missus loves it and scares the heeebeejeeebies out of the other drivers on the road when shes driving.
Hope to get some like minded people and start an offroading meet or something soon.
Regards
Good luck with your jeep Tomtom, wishing you many more happy miles with it.
Old 5th February 2013, 13:13   #101
BHPian

A Biker to a Jeeper - Mahindra Thar Crde-thar-boys.jpg

Well, I have some good news and quite a few bad news to update.

Bad News #1: The brake issue is still not resolved. I've had the brake pedal sink in on multiple occasions post the last visit to the ASC where they had told me that it was due to a leaking brake line and it was duly fixed. I've had some narrow escapes with the brakes failing on me, couple of them at the Bengaluru OTR event in the last week of Jan which could have been very risky. I plan to leave the jeep at the ASC once I'm back in Bangalore this weekend and make sure this is thoroughly checked.

Bad News #2: The ASC seems to have forgotten about the clamp fabrication and nobody has bothered to follow up with me yet. Again a very true reflection of the careless attitude that is ingrained in the Mahindra culture. I may not have had a chance to leave it at the ASC since I'm out of Bangalore for the week, but a follow-up call would have helped their image greatly.

Bad News #3: The jeep is apparently drinking all the coolant or it is simply leaking somewhere. The bottle moved down from High to Low in just one day of the OTR, may be a max of 20kms of driving in the whole day. I'm told that it's not a normal behavior and I should get it checked for leakages, but will try to find out when the jeep goes in for the brake repair.

Ok, enough of bad news for today. Lets move on to the good news part

Good news #1: The jeep performed beautifully during the OTR event. there were some thrilling moments and some chlling moments in those two days.

Good news #2: The good news is that I got my hands on the Warn M8000 to adorn the front bumper and help rescue me from "sticky" situations. I also think I may have found a way to fit it into my check-in luggage and get it in the country legitimately. Lets see how it goes, we'll all know by end of this week.

A Biker to a Jeeper - Mahindra Thar Crde-winch.jpg
amolpol is offline   (3) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 5th February 2013, 22:31   #102
BHPian

Quote:
Attachment 1047299

Good news #2: The good news is that I got my hands on the Warn M8000 to adorn the front bumper and help rescue me from "sticky" situations. I also think I may have found a way to fit it into my check-in luggage and get it in the country legitimately. Lets see how it goes, we'll all know by end of this week.

Attachment 1047297
Great buy Amol. Did you go for the Spydura synthetic rope option?
BlackRaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th February 2013, 05:17   #103
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackRaven View Post

Great buy Amol. Did you go for the Spydura synthetic rope option?
The synthetic rope was $250 more and I couldn't justify the difference given the limited use it will see. But I can always buy it separately later as need arises. What I've read so far suggests that the synthetic lines are definitely safer but they are prone to higher wear due to abrasion when used in rocky terrains etc. Given that it's my first time to use a winch, this should be okay to start with and experiment.

The other consideration was about bringing in a cheaper model would also be easier with the customs. There's no way I could get it in without anybody noticing it. This one costs just about 35k INR so Im hoping they'll let me through with no or minimal duty. The rope can come in later without customs issues whenever I decide to upgrade.
Old 26th February 2013, 09:56   #104
BHPian

A few updates from the recent weeks
  • The winch was installed last weekend and I'm really happy with it, more because of the fact that the bumpers nicely conceal the bottom bolts making it secure against theft to a good extent.
  • The Innova last row seats can't be fitted with the SA rollcage. There isn't enough clearance on the sides to mount the seats on the wheel wells. So this is a major setback to my plans and the seats will go up for sale along with the stock seats that are already in the classifieds section. I'm thinking of sourcing the double folding Jeep Wrangler seats with headrests made by Bestop. The dimensions seems to be a perfect fit, the only issue is how to get them here. If this doesn't work out, then I'll be back in the market for other options which may include fabrication/modification etc, but I don't want to get into that right away.
  • The plastic number plates are now replaced by IND plates, although I could only manage to fit the smaller bike sized plates. There's absolutely no place for me to install the full-size license plates, I'm hoping it'll be okay for a jeep to be an exception to the rules.
  • The sub-standard quality hood latches are now replaced with better ones and hopefully there won't be more paint scratching off the bonnet or rusting of latches.
  • The jeep is finally ready for the music even though I chose not to install the ICE from the i10. There are multiple charging points which can power my phone and the JBL bluetooth speaker which snugly fits on the dash now. This ensures that there's no security concern when the jeep is parked since the speaker can be carried out easily.
  • I still have to figure out a good installer for the Invasion star bonnet decal. I have the decals with me, but I need someone who would make sure there are no goof ups.
  • The jeep is now at the ASC for its first service before it makes the run to Chennai this weekend for the Jeepthrills OTR.

Quite a few things on the list for a first service I must say:
  • Steering noise - One of the bushes has fallen off on the right side causing some rubbing while moving from full right to left turns. This happens only when the jeep is stationary and I haven't noticed any trouble while the jeep is running. The ASC tech guy identified the issue quickly and reassured that it's a quick fix.
  • The broken front right fender has to be replaced. However that needs a wee bit of tinkering to the metal fender panel since that one is slightly bent due to impact. After thinking over it a couple of times, I finally decided to get it fixed.
  • The coolant is definitely leaking from somewhere, the bottle has almost gotten empty four times in less than 2500kms.
  • The jeep needs a good wash from the last OTR. I felt reassured when the SA told me that he'll personally watch over the process and ensure no collateral damage happens.
  • The brakes continue to act funny and the pedal is still losing pressure at times. Have asked them to check this thoroughly since it can be life threatening at times.
  • Other than this, there are a few rattles and squeaks from the front panel of the soft top and it may need to be fitted back properly to stop it from making its own music.
This is right after the winch was installed
A Biker to a Jeeper - Mahindra Thar Crde-856650_428442217246832_1946032509_o.jpg

Last edited by amolpol : 26th February 2013 at 10:09.
Old 26th February 2013, 10:15   #105
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
The coolant is definitely leaking from somewhere, the bottle has almost gotten empty four times in less than 2500kms.
Dear Amolpol - before you do anything on this, please get the ASC to change the radiator pressure cap, drive for some days and revert. The winch is priceless, please use it carefully.

Best regards,

Behram Dhabhar
DHABHAR.BEHRAM is offline   Reply With Quote