Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > 4x4 & Off-Roading > 4x4 Vehicles

Old 3rd June 2015, 21:36   #211
Distinguished - BHPian

Default Re: Hardtop MM550 : A family friendly offroader joins Team-BHP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
It has been 10 days since I let go the Jeep.
My take: same as what I told Santosh -
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/4x4-ve...ml#post3602109 (2000 Armada Grand 4WD)

Regards
Sutripta

PS.- And before others gather the torches and pitchforks and come gunning (pitchforking?, torching?) for me denouncing me as a blasphemer, let me out myself once again:- I am not a 'true Jeeper'.
Sutripta is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 3rd June 2015, 23:07   #212
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sutripta View Post
PS.- And before others gather the torches and pitchforks and come gunning (pitchforking?, torching?) for me denouncing me as a blasphemer, let me out myself once again:- I am not a 'true Jeeper'.
Well, I was never a 'true Jeeper' in that sense, I have been accused on relying on the mechanic way too much. Besides, my real interest is in leisurely offroad driving in exotic places, and in the company around me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by svsantosh View Post
Shubendra, Actually to be brutally honest, it is easy and jolly-good to be without a 4x4. (READ - Jeep). No weekend at mechanic, no whatsapp groups for spares and planning for OTRs, no fear of forest rangers and cops who you bribed in the past and noted down your address/mobile#s, no wallet full of business cards of 12 spares shops in JC road 1st lane, 3-4 cards of shivaji nagar gujri sellers
I never did much of this, may be a little in the first couple years until I found my bearing and comfort zone. Then I found the right mechanic and learned to outsource. The best thing about the Mechanic we have in Udupi is that he aggregates all the services. I didn't have to roam gujri for parts, another workshop for electrical stuff, yet another for AC, yet another for water service, etc. I could handover the Jeep, give him my long list of things to be done, and he would get it done very competently. I have never sat there and watched them work. I just pickup the Jeep when ready, and pay the bills. If I was away, even the pickup and drop service is available.
Samurai is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 4th June 2015, 10:32   #213
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tejas@perioimpl View Post
Hello to you as well! You've got a fantastic memory about dates and car numbers as I observe from previous posts! Being one of the organisers of EXAMM, I forgot the dates myself. Should we expect a new 4x4 from the Tata Stable anytime?
Dear Tejas - thank you for your compliments on my capability to remember dates and car numbers. I've been doing this for as far as I can remember, how, I wish I knew!

For your second question, there is a poem recited by Amitabh Bachchan, the headline of the poem translates as "people who try shall never lose"! Please google it in hindi and see it, you will be delighted. He said this poem in KBC.

My job is to try and try and continue trying relentlessly and hope that the arrow hits the target. After all, life is all about trying and hoping, isn't it? .

Keep trying, hoping and smiling, and one day, life will get tired of upsetting you!

Dear svsantosh - there is no point wasting Sundays, try my way, find your first "fall guy", I'm trying for my "second"! (just kidding!) .

Best regards,

Behram Dhabhar
DHABHAR.BEHRAM is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 4th June 2015, 21:20   #214
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by svsantosh View Post
Anyways, this is my new home and everytime someone asks "what-the-xx" this is, I can proudly start from beginning...
Paying royalty to anyone?

Regards
Sutripta
Sutripta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th November 2015, 12:18   #215
Senior - BHPian

My brother and I are now the proud and super-excited owners of this vehicle. It is on its way back to its new home in the Udupi area as I write these words.

Hardtop MM550 : A family friendly offroader joins Team-BHP-img_20151111_011732.jpg

Looking forward to many good times with this MM550. Everything so far has indicated that it is very, very well-prepared, which is great because it is a marked departure for me - I always buy bone-stock vehicles and then pour way too much time, sweat and money in, only to later sell everything for a fraction of the investment. But it feels good to be on the receiving end for the first time. This is something I thought I'd never do, but it wasn't possible this time due to logistical reasons.

Thanks to Samurai for answering all of my questions via PM and to the previous owner brraj who has been most kind. And also a big thank you to Team-BHP which is the primary reason I was able to sit halfway around the world and make the decision to bring it home. Watch this space for more to come!
ananthkamath is offline   (3) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 11th November 2015, 17:07   #216
Team-BHP Support

Nice to see my former Jeep coming back here. You'll have access to the Mechanic who lovingly maintained it. And we all know how important that is...

We should meet when you come down here.
Samurai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th November 2015, 18:25   #217
Senior - BHPian

Yup, definitely. We intend to systematically go through every system on this Jeep and replace/correct anything that isn't a 100%. Hopefully the mechanic isn't too busy at this time and can accommodate us.
ananthkamath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th November 2015, 04:53   #218
Senior - BHPian

The Jeep has reached home safely, with zero issues in 460km with pouring rain and typical post-monsoon road conditions.

These are first impressions from my brother who is a MM540 2WD owner, and also owns and drives LCVs on a regular basis:

NOTES:
- Steering effort under parking speeds is very heavy, but once underway its not bad.
- The entire powertrain runs like a top and seems super-rugged. There is tons of torque across the rev range and the rest of the drivetrain is well-matched to the engine characteristics. 80 to 90 km/h cruise is not uncomfortable like his old Jeep.
- Ride height is high compared to his old jeep (expected). Body roll is not an issue however.
- Brakes were felt to be slightly inadequate at highway speeds.
- Suspension soaks up bumps and seems well-damped. Driver fatigue was at a minimum after the trip although I suspect this may have been due to the excitement.
- Hard-top rattles and squeaks are very annoying. This will need to get looked into.
- Gear lever boot is torn and this causes intrusion of heat and noise into the cab.
- Everything on this Jeep works, and works well . It just needs some TLC to get back up to its former glory.

__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ____________________________

This is a current spec sheet I put together for future reference after some research. I would like to request to edit this post in case errors are pointed out to me.

SPECS:

Engine: MDI3200, 2.7L DI non-turbo diesel

Gearbox: KMT90 4-speed with hydraulic clutch

Transfer Case: Dana T18 single-speed, 2/4 Hi - 1:1, 4 Lo - 2.46:1

Front Axle:
Dana 44 19-spline, open, non-floating axles, closed knuckle
Stock MM550 leaf springs with ?? added plates. Grease-type Dogbone Shackles.
Stock MM550 Shocks
Lamda Manual-Lock Free Wheeling Hubs

Steering:
Stock MM550 manual

Rear Axle:
Dana 44 19-spline, open, full-floating axles
Stock MM550 leaf springs with ?? added plates. Grease-type Dogbone Shackles.
Stock MM550 Shocks

Brakes:
Front - MM550 Disc with single-piston floating caliper
Rear - MM550 Drum
Park brake - ???

Wheels & Tires:
Plati 15x7.5J, 0 offset, 110mm hub bore, 5x5.5" lugnut pattern
Yokohama Geolandar ATS LT235/75R15
Tire Ratings: 104/101S, 50psi max. press, 902kg max load, 29.2" OD.

Body:
Stock MM550
Roplas Stallion Hardtop

Interior:
Leatherette bucket seats front and side-facing seats rear
__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ____________________________

Based on what I know so far about the spec and maintenance history, I've put together a plan to baseline the vehicle for Mr. Prakash Poojary, master mechanic:

BASELINE PLAN

General
- Wash vehicle including underbody as thoroughly as possible. No greasing at the car wash, that's the mechanic's job. Do not spray diesel on the underbody until all work is completed.
- Diagnose all fluid leaks and understand what's needed to correct it.
- Check underbody thoroughly for component damage and vulnerability.

Engine
- Check engine oil level and top-up as necessary.
- Drain/re-fill/bleed the cooling system with the best quality coolant.
- Check entire system for vacuum leaks and replace hoses as necessary.
- Clean or if necessary replace the air filter with genuine OEM.
- Do all other diesel-engine specific maintenance as recommended by Mahindra (I don't know much about this).

Drivetrain
- Check condition of gearbox oil and replace if necessary. Use 85w140 GL5 oil only.
- Change transfer case and axle fluids. Use 85w140 GL5 oil only.
- Check clutch fluid condition and change if necessary with DOT3/4 synthetic fluid if available. Bleed the clutch thoroughly.
- Perform maintenance of the Lamda free-wheeling hubs as detailed here (http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/4x4-te...ml#post3190000 (Lamda Free Wheeling Front Hubs for Jeeps)). Re-install the Allen-head screws with blue thread-lock compound.

Suspension, Steering and Brakes
- Change the steering gear fluid. Use 85w140 GL5 oil only.
- Check all steering-related ball joints for play. Replace as necessary.
- Change the brake fluid with DOT3/4 synthetic fluid if available. Replace brake pads, shoes and re-surface rotors as needed. Re-adjust brake pedal. Bleed the brakes until the pedal is absolutely rock-hard.
- Inspect bushings for the shock, leaf springs and anti-roll bar.
- Check and tighten all suspension bolts.
- Grease all greasable joints.
- Check toe-in and correct to OEM spec.
- Check tire pressures and reset to 28psi cold all-around.

Body & Interior
- Do not replace any broken lights or burnt out bulbs. All lights except headlights will be replaced with US-sourced LEDs.
- Diagnose all squeaks and rattles in the hardtop. If necessary, completely disassemble the hardtop, replace all beadings and replace any missing fasteners.
- Replace torn gear level boots.

Electrical
- Diagnose why reverse light is not working.

Last edited by ananthkamath : 12th November 2015 at 04:56.
Old 12th November 2015, 10:28   #219
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by ananthkamath View Post
Engine: MDI3200, 2.7L DI non-turbo diesel
It is 2650cc I think.

Quote:
Front Axle:
Dana 44 19-spline, open, non-floating axles, closed knuckle
The front axle is full-floating, otherwise you can't have free wheeling hubs.

Quote:
Grease-type Dogbone Shackles.
I am not aware of this addition.

Quote:
Rear Axle:
Dana 44 19-spline, open, full-floating axles
No, this is semi-floating.

Quote:
Wheels & Tires:
Plati 15x7.5J, 0 offset, 110mm hub bore, 5x5.5" lugnut pattern
Yokohama Geolandar ATS LT235/75R15
Tire Ratings: 104/101S, 50psi max. press, 902kg max load, 29.2" OD.
Although these tyres haven't done beyond 20K, they are 6 years old. And they do have side wall damage, but the patch has been holding up. Consider new tyres if budget allows.

I got the Jeep with 4.88 axle ratio. I changed it to 4.27 later.
Old 12th November 2015, 14:44   #220
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I am not aware of this addition.
Yup, unfortunately. I had a doubt it wasn't your doing. From an engineering standpoint I hate them but if it's a proven part, guess it's OK. Looks like it adds just over an inch of ride height.

The other thing that's visible in this photo is the diesel outlet in the tank, did you end up moving it back to its original location after you had fuel pick up problems?

Hardtop MM550 : A family friendly offroader joins Team-BHP-img20151111wa0006.jpg

Quote:
Although these tyres haven't done beyond 20K, they are 6 years old. And they do have side wall damage, but the patch has been holding up. Consider new tyres if budget allows.
Yes, thanks for the info. We have a stupid ambition of taking this Jeep to Ladakh once it's known to be super reliable. Otherwise it will stay mostly local so, we will try to retain the current tires for now. Is carrying tubes and tire irons a viable option for extra insurance? Or maybe a good tire plug kit.

Last edited by ananthkamath : 12th November 2015 at 14:54.
Old 12th November 2015, 15:19   #221
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
The other thing that's visible in this photo is the diesel outlet in the tank, did you end up moving it back to its original location after you had fuel pick up problems?
No, I didn't. Brraj replaced the diesel tank I think. That is how it is back to original position.
Samurai is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 16th November 2015, 23:35   #222
Senior - BHPian

Project #1: Wiring Assessment and improvement plan.

Those battery terminals look like the wrong size to me, but atleast the cabling is very stout (looks like welding cable?). Both terminals will be replaced with correctly sized parts.
Hardtop MM550 : A family friendly offroader joins Team-BHP-3546f4d457714c75b21757a82eff9b8a.jpg

The headlights are wired directly to the battery through a relay and everything is correct in theory, but the execution looks to have been done in a hurry. New harness with ceramic H4 plugs and dual weatherproof relays has been ordered. It is all heat-shrunk, good quality TXL automotive wire.
Hardtop MM550 : A family friendly offroader joins Team-BHP-f7bb45ca2f26426e9d67cb75e4c21b1b.jpg

Hardtop MM550 : A family friendly offroader joins Team-BHP-ajqjbzf1qhc3hljyythal2esodjgzknc_yymdc8nrlnx.jpg

Hardtop MM550 : A family friendly offroader joins Team-BHP-ao69tdiumpihucbtwvzhfam60qicj73tmt4kha9_2ie4.jpg

Is this the original Mahindra fuse panel? If so, shame on them. New ATO/ATC fuse panel is ordered and everything will be housed in a waterproof box. Just need to find a diligent electrician who can follow instructions since I won't have the time to re-wire the entire vehicle.
Hardtop MM550 : A family friendly offroader joins Team-BHP-avieo0vxxvdgtetzw4i4mh2vbc9wd36tqxh8lfoquxky.jpg

Hardtop MM550 : A family friendly offroader joins Team-BHP-ahr79bvnfgyugteeyi4psywqwm4jenya5jmi3ml8fpkv.jpg
Old 17th November 2015, 09:58   #223
Distinguished - BHPian

Dear Ananthkamath - hello to you. I saw your PM. I'll reply on the forum itself shortly, no time now, 100+ things to do on behemoths! The market has picked up and these behemoths pay my salary !

Only one sentence should suffice for now: It is Sharath's vehicle, so you don't have much to do, just add fuel and drive! He knows things and he does them properly. .

Best regards,

Behram Dhabhar
DHABHAR.BEHRAM is offline   (3) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 17th November 2015, 11:59   #224
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by DHABHAR.BEHRAM View Post
Only one sentence should suffice for now: It is Sharath's vehicle, so you don't have much to do, just add fuel and drive! He knows things and he does them properly. .
Thanks for the compliment Behram. While your statement might hold true for my former CJ340, it doesn't apply to the MM550. Mainly, I didn't rebuild the body, and I didn't touch the wiring. It was in my wishlist, but I never got around to doing it.
Old 18th November 2015, 00:15   #225
Senior - BHPian

Thanks Behram, please call me Ananth (hope first name basis is ok ) , I eagerly await your reply. Sharath's dedication to preparing a vehicle correctly is the reason we pulled the trigger on this vehicle sitting halfway across the world.

That said, everyone runs into schedule limitations, if not money and personnel, and that leaves some scope for improvement. For a vehicle that will one day operate in remote areas, I am not taking any chances. We will be meticulous, systematic and deliberate in further developing this Jeep.