Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > 4x4 & Off-Roading > 4x4 Vehicles


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 11th October 2013, 16:28   #61
Senior - BHPian
 
ku69rd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 2,276
Thanked: 1,208 Times
Default Re: Tata Xenon XT (EX 4X4) - Ownership Experience

Pardus,
It has been considerable time since you have updated the log, can you please update on how the Bison is behaving with the passage of time? Has it developed more of rattles? How is the suspension holding up in the harsh terrains you have subjected it to?

All ears for further updates.
ku69rd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th October 2013, 22:23   #62
BHPian
 
vroom666's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 133
Thanked: 71 Times
Default Re: Tata Xenon XT (EX 4X4) - Ownership Experience

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pardus View Post
...
Pardus - Yes please give some new updates if any. How is the vehicle behaving? Any new issues? New mods?

BTW - if you ever decide to sell this vehicle please ping me first. A new one at 14 odd lacs on road in Bangalore is not worth it and I could not find a good used specimen. But still want to pick up a Xenon someday.
vroom666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th October 2013, 07:19   #63
BHPian
 
Pardus's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 128
Thanked: 184 Times
Default Re: Tata Xenon XT (EX 4X4) - Ownership Experience

Quote:
Originally Posted by vroom666 View Post
Pardus - Yes please give some new updates if any. How is the vehicle behaving? Any new issues? New mods?

BTW - if you ever decide to sell this vehicle please ping me first. A new one at 14 odd lacs on road in Bangalore is not worth it and I could not find a good used specimen. But still want to pick up a Xenon someday.
The Xenon has completed 30K+ Kms so far and is behaving pretty normal. No major issues so far and the only issues which have been annoying are as below.

1. Door Rattling.
2. Window glass (esp driver side) getting stuck during monsoon season. Had to grease the beading couple of times.

No plans to sell the Xenon as of now. 14 lacs on road is too much for an XT, Tata's should be more practical in their pricing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ku69rd View Post
Pardus,
It has been considerable time since you have updated the log, can you please update on how the Bison is behaving with the passage of time? Has it developed more of rattles? How is the suspension holding up in the harsh terrains you have subjected it to?

All ears for further updates.
The ratting saga continues and needs to be kept repaired quite often. The ASS guys can't seem to give it a permanent fix. :-( The suspension is pretty good and haven't had any issues with it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheHkrish View Post
By any chance do you live in Bellandur ?, I had been seeing a well maintained Xenon in an apartment there. Its a sight to behold.
Congrats on the beast ( I know its coming a bit late though).
@TheHkrish: No I do not live in Bellandur, it must be some other Xenon. I have seen a decent number of Xenon's in recent times, especially the 3.0 versions.


I haven't had the time and resources to do any new mods so the vehicle is being used in the same state as it was an year ago. I do feel the need to raise the GC by an inch or two, but haven't figured out how to go about it. I also want to replace the engine guard and gear box guards with a metal protector some time.

BTW: I saw few Xenon's in Kohima and Dimapur towns of Nagaland during my recent expedition. Was happy to see them in this mountainous terrain which is ruled by Gypsy's. The Premier Rio's were also seen in decent numbers.
Pardus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th October 2013, 22:11   #64
Senior - BHPian
 
ku69rd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 2,276
Thanked: 1,208 Times
Default Re: Tata Xenon XT (EX 4X4) - Ownership Experience

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pardus View Post
The ratting saga continues and needs to be kept repaired quite often. The ASS guys can't seem to give it a permanent fix. :-( The suspension is pretty good and haven't had any issues with it.
Looks like you have been having a good time with the Xenon, Touch Wood. Yes the pricing seems to be very unrealistic. Will be watching your thread more closely. Also have you replaced the Suspension bushes by now since you have done around 30+K.?

How is the interaction with the ASS Folks? Are they willing to accommodate any request from your end?
ku69rd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th March 2014, 21:39   #65
BHPian
 
Roja's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Outthere
Posts: 26
Thanked: 4 Times
Default Re: Tata Xenon XT (EX 4X4) - Ownership Experience

Quote:
Originally Posted by khan_sultan View Post
Wow, what a lovely review. I think the Xenon meets your needs to a T, except the long length. The separate rear cargo bay + a twin cab is a great boon to have on the wildlife trips you go to.
Few questions: how to you find the turning radius, LWB in jungles? Any alterations to your driving style/paths taken compared to the Gypsy?

Must say that a Xenon, with a slightly raised suspension + nice bull bars + alloys/wheels + hellas is a nice vehicle to drive.

I wish that the length of the Xenon was just about till the rear wheel arch. Would be the ideal size, IMHO.

Again, a great review & thanks for sharing.
Hi there Khan,

I have always wanted to know if it is possible to lift a Xenon and put 31" AT tires on? Since you are a perfect person to ask about this ( with the work on the gypsy), do you reckon this is possible with a xenon? Would love to hear your thoughts. Many thanks

Pardus: wonderful review, just read you were thinking of increasing GC of the vehicle, I guess bigger tires are the way to go?

Cheers
R
Roja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th March 2014, 12:12   #66
BHPian
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Cochin
Posts: 78
Thanked: 51 Times
Default

Nice review. Hats off to you for doing justice to the bison, a 4*4 used as it should be. Just wish you many more adventures.
I just want to ask you about your expedition, I am interested in these but I don't know how you manage to get permission to get inside the jungle where, I suppose those pictures were taken at, and can you please elaborate on a few more details, may be a travelogue post?? Thanks anyways and wish you lots of adventure and from me a lot of envy.
milu2fast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th March 2014, 05:31   #67
BHPian
 
Pardus's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 128
Thanked: 184 Times
Default Re: Tata Xenon XT (EX 4X4) - Ownership Experience

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roja View Post
Hi there Khan,

I have always wanted to know if it is possible to lift a Xenon and put 31" AT tires on? Since you are a perfect person to ask about this ( with the work on the gypsy), do you reckon this is possible with a xenon? Would love to hear your thoughts. Many thanks

Pardus: wonderful review, just read you were thinking of increasing GC of the vehicle, I guess bigger tires are the way to go?

Cheers
R
Roja: I haven't increased the GC so far and haven't found an easy way to do so without impacting the mechanicals. There isn't much space in the wheel arch to put a bigger 31" tyre on Xenon. If one needs to do so the wheel arch needs to be cut out, which is a strict no for me.

One option could be to increase the suspension, but may need to readjust some mechanicals too. SPOA could be another option, but I am no expert in this area and Khan would be the right person I guess.


Quote:
Originally Posted by milu2fast View Post
Nice review. Hats off to you for doing justice to the bison, a 4*4 used as it should be. Just wish you many more adventures.
I just want to ask you about your expedition, I am interested in these but I don't know how you manage to get permission to get inside the jungle where, I suppose those pictures were taken at, and can you please elaborate on a few more details, may be a travelogue post?? Thanks anyways and wish you lots of adventure and from me a lot of envy.
@milu2fast: Thanks. Securing permission to take your own vehicle inside Protected Areas is a big challenge especially across Karnataka. In the last few years only 2-3 research organizations have been given permission. And these permissions can get cancelled or face challenges each time there is a change in local officers. Though I work closely with forest department officials on research & conservation projects I too face this challenge quite often. Part of the reason for this is attributed to huge influx of wildlife photographers who neither follow ethical protocols nor contribute back to conservation, this has resulted in stricter norms and bit negative opinion about wildlife photographers.
Pardus is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 24th March 2014, 13:41   #68
BHPian
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Cochin
Posts: 78
Thanked: 51 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pardus View Post
Roja: I haven't increased the GC so far and haven't found an easy way to do so without impacting the mechanicals. There isn't much space in the wheel arch to put a bigger 31" tyre on Xenon. If one needs to do so the wheel arch needs to be cut out, which is a strict no for me.

One option could be to increase the suspension, but may need to readjust some mechanicals too. SPOA could be another option, but I am no expert in this area and Khan would be the right person I guess.




@milu2fast: Thanks. Securing permission to take your own vehicle inside Protected Areas is a big challenge especially across Karnataka. In the last few years only 2-3 research organizations have been given permission. And these permissions can get cancelled or face challenges each time there is a change in local officers. Though I work closely with forest department officials on research & conservation projects I too face this challenge quite often. Part of the reason for this is attributed to huge influx of wildlife photographers who neither follow ethical protocols nor contribute back to conservation, this has resulted in stricter norms and bit negative opinion about wildlife photographers.
Awesome. You are the man. You are into conservation, Iam your fan. Now I really have to bug you to put your experience down. Please please please :rolleyes:
And yes you are spot on about behaviour in forest areas, just a drive through any road through the forest just bugs you out with all the honking, can only imagine how the animals might feel.
All the best in your efforts, and if you get time please share a few experiences.
milu2fast is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 24th March 2014, 16:06   #69
Team-BHP Support
 
tsk1979's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: New Delhi
Posts: 22,852
Thanked: 15,407 Times
Default Re: Tata Xenon XT (EX 4X4) - Ownership Experience

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pardus View Post
Roja: I haven't increased the GC so far and haven't found an easy way to do so without impacting the mechanicals. There isn't much space in the wheel arch to put a bigger 31" tyre on Xenon. If one needs to do so the wheel arch needs to be cut out, which is a strict no for me.

One option could be to increase the suspension, but may need to readjust some mechanicals too. SPOA could be another option, but I am no expert in this area and Khan would be the right person I guess..
Thanks for your update.
Can you update the review please with current kms and run, and also the problems(if any) you have faced, availability of spares etc.,
tsk1979 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th March 2014, 19:09   #70
BHPian
 
Roja's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Outthere
Posts: 26
Thanked: 4 Times
Default Re: Tata Xenon XT (EX 4X4) - Ownership Experience

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pardus View Post
Roja: I haven't increased the GC so far and haven't found an easy way to do so without impacting the mechanicals. There isn't much space in the wheel arch to put a bigger 31" tyre on Xenon. If one needs to do so the wheel arch needs to be cut out, which is a strict no for me.

One option could be to increase the suspension, but may need to readjust some mechanicals too. SPOA could be another option, but I am no expert in this area and Khan would be the right person I guess.
Exactly what I was thinking. But you know I saw some photos posted by Pdev about a red xenon on 33", I had written to him, about 3 weeks back, still waiting to hear from him.
As for Khan, I still wait to hear his views about this.
Roja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd September 2014, 22:04   #71
Newbie
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: Navi Mumbai
Posts: 1
Thanked: 0 Times
Default Re: Tata Xenon XT (EX 4X4) - Ownership Experience

Quite an amazing review Pardus. I have been a fence sitter for almost 6 months now, reading reviews about Thars, Gurkhas and Xenon XTs. Your on the face review tilts the scale towards Xenon doubtlessly.

Over this weekend I tried 3 dealerships of Tata Motors in Navi Mumbai where I stay. All of them were clueless about the Xenon XT 4X4. Got some really funny responses from them . Would appreciate if someone in this forum can share any email ids of TM folks that I can write to. Anyone living in this part of the world who has a Xenon
hgoawala is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 24th September 2014, 11:51   #72
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: goa
Posts: 1,066
Thanked: 52 Times
Default Re: Tata Xenon XT (EX 4X4) - Ownership Experience

Quote:
Originally Posted by hgoawala View Post
Quite an amazing review Pardus. I have been a fence sitter for almost 6 months now, reading reviews about Thars, Gurkhas and Xenon XTs. Your on the face review tilts the scale towards Xenon doubtlessly.

Over this weekend I tried 3 dealerships of Tata Motors in Navi Mumbai where I stay. All of them were clueless about the Xenon XT 4X4. Got some really funny responses from them . Would appreciate if someone in this forum can share any email ids of TM folks that I can write to. Anyone living in this part of the world who has a Xenon
The xenon 3.0L 4x4 is sold through commercial vehicle dealer only, so please go there. you will get all the details. None of the private vehicle dealers have any news about it. I believe Bafna Motors should be able to provide you with info you need.
dinar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th October 2014, 22:29   #73
Newbie
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: chandigarh
Posts: 5
Thanked: 6 Times
Default Re: Tata Xenon XT (EX 4X4) - Ownership Experience

Hi Pardus,

I bought a Xenon XT 4X4 in January this year, and for all the excellent performance that the Xenon has, it seems almost like Tata Motors does not care about this particular model in its stable. The experience with TML has been painful, right from the booking to the services.

The registration was a problem, here in Chandigarh, with the RTO refusing to register it as a passenger vehicle. There was no help from TML at all, and finally I had to seek a personal interview with the Home secretary, Chandigarh UT administration before I could get it registered as a passenger vehicle.

Even today after I have done 10000 + Kms in the Xenon, every time I take it in for service, I don't seem to get a good response. The Xenon has a supported stand for the bonnet when it is open unlike the safari which has a hydraulic support. Every time a mechanic opens its bonnet, he simply pulls it down, denting the bonnet from the place of support.

And, I have been trying to get some accessories for it, but again I am finding it frustrating. Simple things like a door visor aren't available. Also, I am looking for a bike rack to fit onto the bed, but again, no luck.

But, all said and done, I have driven it extensively in the hills around Shimla right upto the Indo-China border and I must say that it handles the terrain very well.

Do keep us updated with the latest news on the Xenon

Regards
Rosewarrior_101
rosewarrior_101 is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 29th October 2014, 22:18   #74
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: DL9C
Posts: 2,385
Thanked: 1,983 Times
Default Re: Tata Xenon XT (EX 4X4) - Ownership Experience

Quote:
Originally Posted by rosewarrior_101 View Post
...
I bought a Xenon XT 4X4 in January this year
...
Welcome to the forum!

First up, I would urge you to start a ownership thread for your Xenon. There is a lot of interest about this vehicle and not much first hand info available except one or 2 ownership threads - which are now dormant for sometime.

Second, look up this guy for your accessory needs, I am sure he can help.
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/4x4-ve...gul-panag.html (Interesting Modified Scorpio Getaway for Gul Panag)

Disclaimer - I have no commercial interest in the above venture.

Third, another CHD member, manikjeet had bought the Xenon sometime back, maybe you could connect with him as well.

Most of the info on Xenon is available on these threads -
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/commer...-64-lakhs.html
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/commer...non-xt-12.html

Last edited by Dry Ice : 29th October 2014 at 22:19.
Dry Ice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th October 2014, 14:39   #75
BHPian
 
Pardus's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 128
Thanked: 184 Times
Default Re: Tata Xenon XT (EX 4X4) - Ownership Experience

Quote:
Originally Posted by rosewarrior_101 View Post
Hi Pardus,

I bought a Xenon XT 4X4 in January this year, and for all the excellent performance that the Xenon has, it seems almost like Tata Motors does not care about this particular model in its stable. The experience with TML has been painful, right from the booking to the services.

The registration was a problem, here in Chandigarh, with the RTO refusing to register it as a passenger vehicle. There was no help from TML at all, and finally I had to seek a personal interview with the Home secretary, Chandigarh UT administration before I could get it registered as a passenger vehicle.

Even today after I have done 10000 + Kms in the Xenon, every time I take it in for service, I don't seem to get a good response. The Xenon has a supported stand for the bonnet when it is open unlike the safari which has a hydraulic support. Every time a mechanic opens its bonnet, he simply pulls it down, denting the bonnet from the place of support.

And, I have been trying to get some accessories for it, but again I am finding it frustrating. Simple things like a door visor aren't available. Also, I am looking for a bike rack to fit onto the bed, but again, no luck.

But, all said and done, I have driven it extensively in the hills around Shimla right upto the Indo-China border and I must say that it handles the terrain very well.

Do keep us updated with the latest news on the Xenon

Regards
Rosewarrior_101
Dear rosewarrior,

Firstly Congratulations on your purchase.

Sorry to hear about your plight. Unfortunately these things don't seem to change with TML. Even after 3+ yrs I haven't been able to get simple accessories like bumper protectors and door visors.

I shall post an update on the repairs & maintenance along with challenges faced so far (have completed 42,000+ Km) by weekend.
Pardus is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Tata Xenon Crew-Cab launched : The Downgraded variant of Xenon XT jeepster Commercial Vehicles 176 22nd April 2017 18:12
Tata Xenon CC 4X4 launched @ 7.64 Lakhs manikjeet Commercial Vehicles 47 21st October 2015 17:26
Tata Safari 2004 TCIC EX 4x4 125,000 KM Ownership Review AVR Long-Term Ownership Reviews 118 2nd January 2014 12:43


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 10:58.

Copyright 2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks