Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > 4x4 & Off-Roading > 4x4 Vehicles


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 20th September 2013, 16:01   #301
BHPian
 
cpbopanna's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 551
Thanked: 769 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timson View Post

@cpbopanna

Here are few pics of a stock 1986 Model MM-540 and also a CJ-4A with the fuel tank mounted at the rear under the K-cross member.

Chengappa.
Agree with you Chengappa.

Hence my query as to why the absence of the K-cross member is being attributed to the diesel tank at the rear of the Jeep!

Therefore, in my opinion, the removal of the K-cross member had nothing to do with the diesel tank, probably M&M removed it from the NGCS series of Jeeps!
cpbopanna is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 20th September 2013, 16:28   #302
BANNED
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: in a Toyota!
Posts: 2,686
Thanked: 592 Times
Default re: Never thought I'd buy a Mahindra Thar! My Jeep Story. EDIT: Now sold

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertfox View Post
Dhabhar Bhai I have seen over a dozen cases, Prados stuck in the desert being towed out by their just welded towpoints and the tow point breaking the welded joint and flying out.

The Scorpio 4WD that I own and the Thar have similar welded tow points. This is the reason I never used a tow strap in badly stuck situations but a Kinetic Energy Recovery Rope ( Magic rope ).

By the way I will make your day today. I had sold off my MM550 to a friends son last week.

Yesterday I paid the money to buy a new Thar CRDe Rocky Biege!
Shahid Saab, Mabrook.

Hopefully we will see a dedicated thread on your new Thar and what you do to it!
Parm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th September 2013, 16:49   #303
Team-BHP Support
 
tsk1979's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: New Delhi
Posts: 22,857
Thanked: 15,420 Times
Default re: Never thought I'd buy a Mahindra Thar! My Jeep Story. EDIT: Now sold

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertfox View Post
Dhabhar Bhai I have seen over a dozen cases, Prados stuck in the desert being towed out by their just welded towpoints and the tow point breaking the welded joint and flying out.

The Scorpio 4WD that I own and the Thar have similar welded tow points. This is the reason I never used a tow strap in badly stuck situations but a Kinetic Energy Recovery Rope ( Magic rope ).

By the way I will make your day today. I had sold off my MM550 to a friends son last week.

Yesterday I paid the money to buy a new Thar CRDe Rocky Biege!
Hmm
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/4x4-ve...-buy-thar.html

Interesting! The guy who lists reasons of never buying a Thar CRDE buys one

Congratulations on your purchase. Critics often give out the best reviews. I guess your ownership review will be great!
tsk1979 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 20th September 2013, 16:57   #304
Senior - BHPian
 
desertfox's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Gurgaon, Delhi NCR
Posts: 1,186
Thanked: 522 Times
Default re: Never thought I'd buy a Mahindra Thar! My Jeep Story. EDIT: Now sold

Dont expect much I am less of an off roader more of a shooter these days at the very least till December 2013 end.

By the way it was not only the MM 550 that was sold. The Bolero was sold as well.

I bought a THAR - paid the money will pick it up from the next lot, I released the one from 18 August stock and an Innova for day to travel.

If the Thar AC works good I will drive it to work as well. But this Thar will also be my personal car, no driver touches it.
desertfox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th September 2013, 16:58   #305
BHPian
 
invincible7's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Delhi NCR
Posts: 641
Thanked: 127 Times
Default re: Never thought I'd buy a Mahindra Thar! My Jeep Story. EDIT: Now sold

I was about to raise the same thing, the one who started highligting the shortcoming of Thar has decided to buy himself the same machine. Change of heart or you are planning to do some major modifictaion/upgrades to the Thar for your offshore escapades.
invincible7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st September 2013, 01:38   #306
Distinguished - BHPian
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: MUMBAI
Posts: 3,059
Thanked: 4,572 Times
Default re: Never thought I'd buy a Mahindra Thar! My Jeep Story. EDIT: Now sold

Dear Timson and cpbopanna - the tank in the picture is of 45 liter capacity, for 55 liter tank (Bolero), K member could not be accommodated in the NGCS engineering layout. Thar CRDe layout is exactly same as Bolero VLX in this area, including part numbers. Hope this clarifies. For 45 liter capacity also, angle of departure and main fuel line layout were critical (common sense).

Dear Shahidbhai - yes, yes, yes, finally it has happened! You are the biggest "positive critic" of the vehicle and now you are buying it. This is the ultimate hurrah! Thank you so much, I am extremely happy today to have passed the ultimate test with flying colors! .

I know why you sold the MM and the Bolero, which I presume had either the XD3P or the DI engines, both just cannot match the "3S" properties of Thar, "Smooth - Silent - Surge of Power"! Period! Thanks once again, welcome to the club and enjoy, because when you will hit the right foot on the accelerator pedal, you will realize the power of the missile under it! ENJOY!

And, by the way, you may like to explore the possibility of making it better than my dear MH01V521! .

Best regards,

Behram Dhabhar
DHABHAR.BEHRAM is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 21st September 2013, 16:27   #307
Senior - BHPian
 
DirtyDan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Dharamsala
Posts: 1,781
Thanked: 694 Times
Default re: Never thought I'd buy a Mahindra Thar! My Jeep Story. EDIT: Now sold

Quote:
Originally Posted by DHABHAR.BEHRAM View Post

......welcome to the club and enjoy, because when you will hit the right foot on the accelerator pedal, you will realize the power of the missile under it! ENJOY!

And, by the way, you may like to explore the possibility of making it better than my dear MH01V521! .

Best regards,

Behram Dhabhar
I just completed a 2000Km circuit from Dharamsala, H.P. to Mahendraganj, Nepal
in my Thar CRDe,. The trip included a short stint in 4 wheel drive mode over some damaged roads, roads still sliding from June's massive monsoon deluges and recent rains....near Dehradun. My Thar made it all the way without issue, without a hiccup, over some very bad roads and thru some very intense heat. I went thru Dehradun, Haridwar, Rishikesh, Kashipur (Jim Corbett National Park) and into Nepal. A/C worked beautifully and handled the 43 degree heat easily and at this point in time I still have the original rag top. Since it was post-monsoon dry heat, no condensation formed on my dashboard, some on the floor boards but not bad.

Behram, HE may or may not want to "[make] it better than my dear MH01V521! . " But I surely would like to enhance my Thar, especially the low end grunt and hill climbing....low speed performance and torque.

Can you flat tell me what to do to achieve this....a PM if nothing else?

Last edited by DirtyDan : 21st September 2013 at 16:34.
DirtyDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd September 2013, 10:25   #308
BHPian
 
dean5545's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: mumbai
Posts: 658
Thanked: 772 Times
Default re: Never thought I'd buy a Mahindra Thar! My Jeep Story. EDIT: Now sold

Hi guys!!
I have a Mahindra Thar in my friend circle,its the car in which I we go to college everyday.Its a head-turner for sure,wherever we go everyone is staring at it and atleast two people come and enquire about the car!!
However there is one big problem which no-one has said anything about,i.e the suspension,we just cant drive at relatively high-speeds on undulating surfaces ,everything inside the car gets shaken even the Ganesha idol on the dash falls down and the steering wheel too begins to shake.
I need your advice on this problem,also the engine temperature is always below normal,for the first 2 weeks it drank alot of coolant and the A.S.S guys didnt have the coolant for the thar,Hence we had to make do with water.Is this normal??
So Sorry Manveet for going OT on your thread but I really need yours and DB sir's inputs
dean5545 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd September 2013, 11:56   #309
Senior - BHPian
 
manveet's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: New Delhi
Posts: 1,059
Thanked: 581 Times
Default re: Never thought I'd buy a Mahindra Thar! My Jeep Story. EDIT: Now sold

Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtyDan View Post
Can you flat tell me what to do to achieve this....a PM if nothing else?
Someone please put me on CC or FYI in this internal communication.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dean5545 View Post
Hi guys!!
I have a Mahindra Thar in my friend circle,its the car in which I we go to college everyday.Its a head-turner for sure,wherever we go everyone is staring at it and atleast two people come and enquire about the car!!
Congratulations. The Jeep is a REAL conversation starter. I try to be as patient as possible with my responses to all queries. Initially, people walking up to me about the Jeep used to feel awkward for my wife, but now its almost a daily routine and she has got used to it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dean5545 View Post
However there is one big problem which no-one has said anything about,i.e the suspension,we just cant drive at relatively high-speeds on undulating surfaces ,everything inside the car gets shaken even the Ganesha idol on the dash falls down and the steering wheel too begins to shake.
Apparently you've not spent enough time on this thread. The suspension issue and its resolution has been covered in page 2 or 3 itself as far as I can recollect.

The steering wheel shaking is not normal. Are you on stock wheels? I had upsized on day of delivery so cannot comment on the issue if you are running on stock wheels.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dean5545 View Post
I need your advice on this problem,also the engine temperature is always below normal,for the first 2 weeks it drank alot of coolant and the A.S.S guys didnt have the coolant for the thar,Hence we had to make do with water.Is this normal??
All this is NOT normal. And the A.S.S. not having coolant for Thar is completely abnormal. But one observation, you do not need to make do with water if coolant is not available with those buggers, you can buy coolant from pretty much anywhere. Coolant specs are mentioned in the manual. (maybe the RHS door as well but am not sure on that). Boss, your friend owns a Jeep now, he needs to upskill.

Edit: On the other hand, purchasing this from dealership might be a better idea from a warranty perspective. You might need all the paperwork at a later stage.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dean5545 View Post
So Sorry Manveet for going OT on your thread but I really need yours and DB sir's inputs
Thats Ok. No problemo. Happy to help.

Last edited by manveet : 22nd September 2013 at 11:58.
manveet is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 22nd September 2013, 12:19   #310
Senior - BHPian
 
DirtyDan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Dharamsala
Posts: 1,781
Thanked: 694 Times
Default re: Never thought I'd buy a Mahindra Thar! My Jeep Story. EDIT: Now sold

Quote:
Originally Posted by dean5545 View Post
Hi guys!!
I have a Mahindra Thar in my friend circle,its the car in which I we go to college everyday.Its a head-turner for sure,wherever we go everyone is staring at it and atleast two people come and enquire about the car!!
However there is one big problem which no-one has said anything about,i.e the suspension,we just cant drive at relatively high-speeds on undulating surfaces ,everything inside the car gets shaken even the Ganesha idol on the dash falls down and the steering wheel too begins to shake.
I need your advice on this problem,also the engine temperature is always below normal,for the first 2 weeks it drank alot of coolant and the A.S.S guys didnt have the coolant for the thar,Hence we had to make do with water.Is this normal??
So Sorry Manveet for going OT on your thread but I really need yours and DB sir's inputs
You need to find out where the coolant is going first and foremost. That could be serious or lead to something serious. You need to check all the hoses and the water pump for leakage. Check the radiator for leaks. Check the overflow plastic bottle for leaks. Next, check your motor oil level. This is critical. If your motor oil level appears too high you may have coolant leaking into the engine thru a blown head gasket. Note the nature of the motor oil, does it appear watery or milky in appearance? Do you get a strong sweet smell upon start up? This is leaking coolant. Check the tailpipe and smell it, see if you have coolant leaking thru it. This is another indication of a bad head gasket.

As for the ride, remember it's a jeep and despite the IFS it rides rough. You may want to lower the air pressure a bit, this helps. The OEM Bridgestone tyres can always be replaced by something better e.g. Michelins or Continental Cross contact AT. http://www.continental.co.za/product.asp?designID=CCAT

The "dash falls down"? You sure, or do you mean the glove box door falls down? So does mine. Ahem, ahem, this is an undocumented safety feature aimed at dissipating torque radicals....I can sling it, too, B.D.
DirtyDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd September 2013, 13:02   #311
BHPian
 
dean5545's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: mumbai
Posts: 658
Thanked: 772 Times
Default re: Never thought I'd buy a Mahindra Thar! My Jeep Story. EDIT: Now sold

@manveet,@DirtyDan
Thank you for your prompt reply I am running on stock bridgestones with tyre pressure 32 all round,I have put aftermarket alloys however the problem was there from day one.
@dirtydan I meant the ganesha idol on the dash(glued by fevquik) to have fallen and not the dash itselfAlthough my glovebox door also falls down on extremely bad roads at high speeds
Regarding the coolant loss issue,can you please check and confirm wether the coolant colour is blue or pink??One important thing I observed is that the temperature needle always settles a bit lower than the middle mark.We did check for coolant leaks but nothing was visible,everything including the plastic bottle and the radiator.We topped it up with water when it was below the low level inthe overflow plastic bottle.
Thanks.
dean5545 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd September 2013, 14:29   #312
Senior - BHPian
 
DirtyDan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Dharamsala
Posts: 1,781
Thanked: 694 Times
Default re: Never thought I'd buy a Mahindra Thar! My Jeep Story. EDIT: Now sold

Quote:
Originally Posted by dean5545 View Post
@manveet,@DirtyDan
Thank you for your prompt reply I am running on stock bridgestones with tyre pressure 32 all round,I have put aftermarket alloys however the problem was there from day one.
@dirtydan I meant the ganesha idol on the dash(glued by fevquik) to have fallen and not the dash itselfAlthough my glovebox door also falls down on extremely bad roads at high speeds
Regarding the coolant loss issue,can you please check and confirm wether the coolant colour is blue or pink??One important thing I observed is that the temperature needle always settles a bit lower than the middle mark.We did check for coolant leaks but nothing was visible,everything including the plastic bottle and the radiator.We topped it up with water when it was below the low level inthe overflow plastic bottle.
Thanks.
Please check YOUR MOTOR OIL LEVEL. The idea is to see if coolant has leaked into the motor. It probably has not but you need to check it. That's all I can do for you right now...am busy.
DirtyDan is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 22nd September 2013, 16:23   #313
BHPian
 
dean5545's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: mumbai
Posts: 658
Thanked: 772 Times
Default re: Never thought I'd buy a Mahindra Thar! My Jeep Story. EDIT: Now sold

Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtyDan View Post
Please check YOUR MOTOR OIL LEVEL. The idea is to see if coolant has leaked into the motor. It probably has not but you need to check it. That's all I can do for you right now...am busy.
I will surely ask him to check the level as I wont meet him for another 2 days,Thank you.
dean5545 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd September 2013, 13:11   #314
Senior - BHPian
 
desertfox's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Gurgaon, Delhi NCR
Posts: 1,186
Thanked: 522 Times
Default re: Never thought I'd buy a Mahindra Thar! My Jeep Story. EDIT: Now sold

Glove compartment lid falling off is a Mahindra fashion feature, in my Bolero too it happens frequently, it is designed to measure the intensity of a pothole on your suspension.

Can a lock be fitted on to this Thar / Bolero glove box lid ? At least the sunglasses will remain safe in there.
desertfox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd September 2013, 13:51   #315
Senior - BHPian
 
1100D's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Calcutta
Posts: 4,141
Thanked: 2,244 Times
Default re: Never thought I'd buy a Mahindra Thar! My Jeep Story. EDIT: Now sold

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertfox View Post
Glove compartment lid falling off is a Mahindra fashion feature, in my Bolero too it happens frequently, it is designed to measure the intensity of a pothole on your suspension.

Can a lock be fitted on to this Thar / Bolero glove box lid ? At least the sunglasses will remain safe in there.
I have a Mahindra Scorpio 4wd VLX model and its Glovebox lid never falls off. Infact this version being a techno savvy version, has a unique "fist-identification" feature. The Glovebox lid does not hold unless it recognises the fist to be mine. Prevents unauthorised people from hiding things in the Glove compartment of my car.
1100D is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Never thought I'd build a Jeep! My MM540 story manveet 4x4 Vehicles 97 29th May 2017 10:22
An impulsive buy- 1999 Mahindra Classic; Now Sold. Another project now in the offing! Tejas@perioimpl 4x4 Vehicles 537 19th December 2015 22:22
That car you never thought you'd end up buying! manson The Indian Car Scene 45 4th September 2012 17:47
Thought I would never get mine (RD350) hormaz Motorbikes 23 23rd March 2009 13:13
Never thought giving an intro was this easy - Hi BHPians ms_mahu Introduce yourself 22 29th March 2008 20:55


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 16:54.

Copyright 2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks