Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > 4x4 & Off-Roading > 4x4 Vehicles

Old 30th December 2012, 11:21   #1
BHPian

Default A dream come true - '02 Mahindra MM550 in Bangalore

It was the time when I joined Team-bhp, I started reading about OTRs. Got hooked to the OTR reports by Sharath, rebuilds by Harjeev and Fazalaliadil and slowly the wish to buy a MM550 started growing in me. 1 year I lived with the wish in mind, trying to arrange the finance for that.

4 years later, I managed to buy a MM550 in Bangalore. Last week I picked up a 2002 model 550 which was already rebuild. I had nothing much to do except a good wash, greasing and cleaning. I always wanted a jeep in a perfect condition. But the financial condition restrcited me from going for a Thar Di. The jeep will not be a daily drive and Thar CRDe was way beyond my budget. Now my work starts to bring it to a perfect condition. I plan to correct whatever fails as of now. A major rebuild will take sometime as all my savings have gone into buying this.

Special thanks to SantoshSV and Mohan who was always there to help me out in checking different vehicles and help me finalize this deal.

About the buying experience
The jeep was bought from another jeep enthusiat in Bangalore who had taken it for last Bangalore Annual OTR. he had bought it from the auction and rebuilt it. No work is done on the engine till now.
I had seen this jeep in Team BHP classifieds and called up to check the details. Saw the jeep on a Sunday, finalized the deal and took delivery on Wednesday. Before this I had seen few other jeep, but most of them were either having too much work or not within my Budget range. Took the jeep directly to the guy who does soft top to fix some buttons and make the soft tof little more tight.
The jeep really needed a wash and I had to wait till next week as I had to go to my hometown for Xmas. Took the jeep for a wash-grease-spray diesel routine and took the customary photos.

I had left the jeep for 6 days in Bangalore without using and I was doubtful if the jeep will start without help. But the jeep started in the first crank itself without any problem. I heat twice before starting in the morning and till now the vehicle always started in the first crank.

Usage Pattern
Started using the jeep almost 3 to 4 days in a week and I am enjoying the drive. Till now I have driven about 200 kms. The steering is very heavy while parking, but pretty easy if the vehicle is running. The talls stance is very nice. Till now I used to look up from my car while driving and this gives me a chance to look below to see other vehicle drivers. Auto guys and 2 wheelers give way and even stop to give way at turns. A totally different feeling compared to when I drive my verna.

The speedo meter reaches 70 to 80 kmph easily, but the vehicle does not stop so easily. On hard braking the vehicle skids . Got the scare once and never drove it fast on city roads. I was on on BETL at decent speeds and I could feel wobbling on the steering. What would be the cause?

The gear shift is smooth in all gears except when down shifting from 3rd to 2nd. The speed needs to be really slow to slot it smoothly. I think I need to get used to it. Never used the 4X4 lever as I am not so familiar with using 4X4. Need to start using it with someone who can help me in this. Santosh - will come to Hosur to test it on a short trail.

I could not test the fuel efficiency till now as the tank was half full and the meter shows full all the time. Seems the float is not working. The previous owner was saying about getting 14km/l in the city. Need to check the fuel efficiency when the float is corrected. Till now I have put only Rs 1000/- worth of diesel.

Suspension & Ride Quality
The jeep is obviosuly bumpy. The front seats are comfortable. But the people in the back seat suffer. The seats are normal army seats. The front seats have head rests fixed to the actual army seats. I never knew that the army seats can be adjusted for reclining and moving it front & back. Was happy to see the 2 levers for that. Planning to leave it as it is as I don't expect the back seats to be used much.

Exterior Styling
The previous owner has fixed a DIY snorkel which looks ugly. Need to change make a new one and fix it. I trying to bend the current one to the proper shape. If its not possible, will change the snorkel into a SS one, like the one Sreejesh had in his previous 550.

The soft top has zip on the sides and the side can be rolled to give the feel of an open back with the soft top on the top to give the required shade. Quite useful on a sunny day.

All the amry fittings are missings. Need to buy these.

Meter Console
There is a meter with oil pressure, Fuel guage, speedo meter & temperature.
The oil pressure guage is always in the range of 3 to 3.5. Is this ok? What is the expected range here?
Fuel guage is always at full and needs to be corrected.
Speedometer is never stable as in cars and keeps vibrating. Don't know how to find the approximate speed from this speeometer
Temperature guage is close to 80 at city drives. If the temperature goes what is the best way to bring it to normal - Park it on the side with the engine off or stop on the side with the engine idling.

Cost of upkeep & maintenance
Till now I have spent Rs 650/-, Rs 200 for minor fixes and Rs 450 for a full wash. Major work is expected in the coming weekend. Ownership transfer is also to be done.

What I Like
1. The feel of driving a Jeep
2. The height of the vehicle and driving position
3. Raw power

What I don't Like
1. Soft top, so no place to keep things safe
2. Bumpy Ride
3. Checking radiator and engine oil everyday (but it's a jeep thing)
4. Heavy steering while vehicle not moving

Following things need to be done as the first priority
1. Fuel level is always showing as full. Need to change the float it seems.
2. Reverse light is not working.
3. Need to get the differential guard from Viji
4. Need to connect car charger port
5. Fender - confused whether to go for fender from utility or Army type

Photos taken in my parking lot
Attached Thumbnails
A dream come true - '02 Mahindra MM550 in Bangalore-img_7843.jpg  

A dream come true - '02 Mahindra MM550 in Bangalore-img_7844.jpg  

A dream come true - '02 Mahindra MM550 in Bangalore-img_7845.jpg  

A dream come true - '02 Mahindra MM550 in Bangalore-img_7846.jpg  

A dream come true - '02 Mahindra MM550 in Bangalore-img_7848.jpg  

A dream come true - '02 Mahindra MM550 in Bangalore-img_7852.jpg  

Last edited by ArunV : 2nd January 2013 at 11:20.
ArunV is offline   (3) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 30th December 2012, 18:57   #2
Senior - BHPian

Default Re: A dream come true - 2002 MM550 in Bangalore

She is in better nick than seen in the ad pics!! Do you want to share all the experiences before landing this next-door deal :-P
svsantosh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th December 2012, 21:07   #3
BHPian

^^ No Santosh. Dont want to share all that :-). Taking it to Raju next week for electrical work and will meet up on Sunday if you are free.

I am a noob when it comes to Jeeps and 4X4. Expecting help from all the jeep gurus here

I could see that the differential breather is not present in one and for the other it is hanging loose and not connected anywhere. Where should the breather for the differential fixed?

Yesterday I took the jeep to Electronic city and on Elevated highway I could feel the steering wobbling. Is it because of not doing a wheel alignment or something else?

Last edited by ArunV : 1st January 2013 at 14:33.
ArunV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th December 2012, 21:43   #4
Senior - BHPian

Good buy, are you sure its a 2002. Please remove the snorkel pipe it is looking ugly, looks like DIY stuff. congratulations and may you have all the fun for coming years.
chanu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st January 2013, 22:08   #5
BHPian

A few photos of the underbody

Underbody
A dream come true - '02 Mahindra MM550 in Bangalore-imag0167.jpg

Rear Axle
A dream come true - '02 Mahindra MM550 in Bangalore-imag0168.jpg

The front axle. What is the area marked in the photo?
A dream come true - '02 Mahindra MM550 in Bangalore-imag0169.jpg
Old 3rd January 2013, 11:04   #6
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Default Re: A dream come true - '02 Mahindra MM550 in Bangalore

Thread moved from the Assembly Line (The "Assembly Line" Forum section) to the 4x4 Vehicles Section. Thanks for sharing!
GTO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd January 2013, 11:46   #7
BHPian

Nice buy arun Looks in pretty good nick. A few changes here and there would make her look great.
I suggest you replace the wind shield as a priority as it looks pretty badly scratched in the pictures that you have uploaded.
A scratched wind shield= Oncoming headlight glare at night= Less visibility= Bad idea
aadithsince1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd January 2013, 13:33   #8
BHPian

Ah, it is finally out!! Congratulations Arun! When your Jeep is prepped to get into an OTR, remember that I have booked a seat with you on the day you bought this!

Wish you happy and safe Jeeping!
Driving_Nomad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd January 2013, 14:59   #9
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by chanu View Post
Good buy, are you sure its a 2002. Please remove the snorkel pipe it is looking ugly, looks like DIY stuff. congratulations and may you have all the fun for coming years.
Changing the snorkel is one of the first things in the list. It was a DIY by the previous owner. I liked the one which Sreejesh had in his previous 550.

Quote:
Originally Posted by aadithsince1980 View Post
Nice buy arun Looks in pretty good nick. A few changes here and there would make her look great.
I suggest you replace the wind shield as a priority as it looks pretty badly scratched in the pictures that you have uploaded.
A scratched wind shield= Oncoming headlight glare at night= Less visibility= Bad idea

The scratch is only at one place, but very thick. Seems like someone switched on the wiper without the wiper blade. But good thing is it not at the driver seat and doesnt obstruct the view in any view. So for the time being it remains. Other things take priority

Quote:
Originally Posted by Driving_Nomad View Post
Ah, it is finally out!! Congratulations Arun! When your Jeep is prepped to get into an OTR, remember that I have booked a seat with you on the day you bought this!

Wish you happy and safe Jeeping!

Thank you. Anytime
Old 3rd January 2013, 16:35   #10
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArunV View Post

The front axle. What is the area marked in the photo?
Attachment 1033430
That is your oil filler and levelnut. Open it and use it to fill oil till it just starts flowing out.
jyobeb is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 9th January 2013, 10:51   #11
BHPian

Full servicing was not done on the jeep till now. I just took the jeep and kept driving it for last 3 weeks and now its time for the complete check up and repair.

Planning to do the following this weekend.
1. Reverse Light is not working
2. One Indicator is not working
3. Horn is connected to a separate switch. Need to connect to actual point in steering wheel
4. Differential Breather pipe to be fitted
5. Fuel meter is always showing full. Need to change the float
6. Side steps got a hit in some previous offroading. Bring it back to normal shape
7. Steering is loose and has a lot of play. Need to correct it
8. There is a sound and vibration when the key is in 'On' position. What might be this?
9. All fuilds check and top up / Change
10. Brakes check.
11. Bend the snorkel to a proper shape.

Would prefer to do these as well
1. Gear Lock to be locked in reverse gear
2. 12 V charge point
3. Add 2 worklamps from Hella or Neolite in the front bumper

What is the normal pressure maintained for the tyres? The jeep was running on 27bar till last week and now filled till 34bar. Steering has become bit easy, but ride has become more bumpy.
Old 9th January 2013, 12:45   #12
BHPian

I use 32 in front and 30 in the rear!

The car wash on 2nd main where you go to will do the oil filling for you in the underbody. Part of their wash...
manasm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th January 2013, 13:14   #13
BHPian

Yes Manas, i got it done last time. But instead of oil I asked them to spray diesel, which they sprayed in the engine bay, wheel well & underbody.

Which one is better - Oil or Diesel?
Old 9th January 2013, 18:28   #14
BHPian

@Arun, I was talking about the oil filler point in your photo.

They will pump the oil in there for you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jyobeb View Post
That is your oil filler and levelnut. Open it and use it to fill oil till it just starts flowing out.
manasm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th January 2013, 09:30   #15
BHPian

Ok. Didnt ask them to do that. And i don't know how much to trust them as they normally into car wash. Don't know which oil they will use.
Prefer to take it to a mechanic for anything technical.

What is the use of these things? This was fitted inside the tub. But in another jeep pic, I saw it in the fender. What is it used for?
A dream come true - '02 Mahindra MM550 in Bangalore-img_7852.jpg