Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > 4x4 & Off-Roading > 4x4 Vehicles

Old 6th March 2013, 08:42   #16
BHPian

Default Re: Barn find – 1959 Willys CJ3B

Hello Shubhendra

Your story is truly inspiring and touching for budding restorers like me. I have done my share of travelling for sourcing NOS parts for my RD350, but your efforts are way beyond what I might have put in. All the very best for a satisfying restoration!
Viju is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 12th March 2013, 15:12   #17
BHPian

Dear All,
my laptop hard disk is crashed few days back and i lost all my picture and text related to this build. I have given my hard disk to professional data recovery company and expect my data restored in few days. Hang on till then, will revive this thread very soon.

Shubhendra Singh
Shubhendra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th March 2013, 17:02   #18
BHPian

Update: though I didn’t get my data recovered due to physical damage to my HDD, I have lost few pics which were taken during restoration and even last week when I visited my hometown. I have rewritten everything (it may not be as detailed as I wrote earlier but don’t want this thread to dormant).

Mechanicals
1)Engine:
While opening engine, our mechanic’s team end up breaking head bolts, while further observation, it was found that new piston, sleeve, ring, valve, tappets, bearing etc need to be changed. And we started hunt for ORIGINAL and REASONABLY PRICED spares.
One of our relative had almost new ‘Hurricane engine’ i.e. he bought brand new CJ3B in late eighties from Mahindra after completing 2000 kms (he wanted to run in engine and then preserve it), he swapped this engine with M&M International engine, as he used his jeep frequently and for ling runs. Being an automobile enthusiast, he preserved this engine carefully at his garage. During one of my visit to his house, I saw this engine and asked him about it. I learnt from him that he wanted it to be fitted to one of his old cars which never materialized. When I briefed him about our project, he enthusiastically offered his engine, without missing golden opportunity I put that engine in my Bolero. While we got the engine, we didn’t get carburetor, fuel pump, distributor wiring, self and alternator (he had already these ancillaries on his petrol Jeep).
We used above mentioned engine as a donor engine for spares, still we had to find few small spares (packing set, rocker arm, valve spring intake, valve guide, bushes, conn rod bearing etc…). After difficulties, frustrations, few trips to few places, we got almost all spares for engine.
While cleaning oil filter can we found original color of the same, FYI to enthusiasts it should be light yellow colored.
Dynamo: original dynamo has been serviced and preserved. A refurbished alternator had been procured. For your information, this Jeep would run on 12Volts electricals now.
Carburetor: we were very keen on restoring original carter YF carburetor, but we couldn’t find servicing kit for the same. Even discussion with UBS sir on the same proved futile. We procured one almost new carburetor (never used) from Allahabad. Existing carburetor is preserved for now, till we get hold of servicing kit. I hope within few months, we would be able to put original carburetor back on Jeep.
Fuel Pump: same story goes for fuel pump too. Original fuel pump was double action which was replaced by later model single action pump from Bhopal. After reading many T-Bhpians woes on petrol Jeep, I suggested him to put electric fuel pump in network, but he is pretty confident that without using electric pump we will be able to feed engine sufficiently. In fact, our another petrol jeep does not have electrical pump. During conversation I also got to know that fiber packing is being used between engine and pump to avoid engine heating.
Radiator: original radiator was filled with much, spider web and what not. Its frame was rusted badly and there was no point in servicing it and taking risk, radiator shroud was also rusted. Both radiator and shroud has been procured, serviced, painted and ready to use.
Self: original self has been serviced, armature changed and its perfect now.

2)Gearbox, transfer case and differentials:
Gearbox and transfer case was fully opened asses condition, we found out that second gear was partially worn out but as per mech could have been used for 20-30 thousand kilometers, as a preventive step we changed the same. Similar to other old Jeeps, I believe that 4x4 feature was rarely being used and didn’t need any work. We also changed one big bearing in gearbox as a preventive maintenance.
This model came with front Dana 25 (as per UBS sir, best way to recognize the same is leaf spring perch which is boat shaped) and rear Dana 44. Typical to other old jeeps, this also didn’t have front propeller shaft. These petrol jeeps used to come with thinner front propeller shafts which I finally found recently when I bought a dieselized CJ3b. both differentials fully opened and checkedmain bearing of rear differential was changed

3)Brakes:
This Jeep came with original ‘Lockheed Martin’ master cylinder and as usual we couldn’t find servicing kit for the same. We replaced original master cylinder with spare one which used to come in late CJ3Bs. All wheel cylinders were replaced as there was no point in refurbishing such old cylinders which were showing sign on wear and tear. Whole brake pipe line was jammed, thus thrown away and replaced by new line. All brake shoes changed to new. While my visit to US I picked up hand brake lever which was only thing not present in Jeep

4)Wheels:
Wheel rims were perfect and fully restorable without any bend and damage. Though all wheel bearings have been changed, greased and put back. Wheel rims have been scrapped of old paint and muck, primered and kept separately for final assembly. Going by original shades of CJ3b, we would certainly paint off white paint to it which was standard in civilian CJ3Bs.

5)Seat and hood:
as you all may have noticed seat frame for front was original and intact without any damage. We removed cushioning to found it was perfect without rust etc. old paint has been scrapped of, and is currently lying at painter’s shop to get final coat of paint and cushioned. We have removed hood and it would be painted and kept at garage. We are intending to use this Jeep sporadically and don’t need hood for our recreational activities (Jungle trips or occasional evening outings to nearby river, pond for fishing etc…)

6)Steering:
Though steering box didn’t have a leak or any other damage, it had a play and oil seal became brittle due to lying unused for 4 decades. We got oil seal, packing etc with little difficulty but our mechanic must have spent 3-4 days in Allahabad and Jabalpur for those elusive locks which needed inside steering box. We finally found these locks at my mechanic’s old acquaintance’s shop in Gwalior. And overnight bus service delivered this to my hometown. Though my person had to wake up at 5 in the morning during north winter season and had to wait for 2 hours to get the same. This is most frustrating part when you literally feel high and dry spending so much time and energy on finding these small parts. If ever, I will ever work on restoring an old/vintage Jeep (remote possibility now), I will request UBS Sir to do it for me. As they have access to everything ORIGINAL to do the restoration. Steering wheel is in immaculate condition and didn’t need change.

7)Meters, light, wiring etc:
This CJ3B came with one single meter which has Speedometer, Temp gauge, fuel gauge, warning lights for high beam, turn, low oil, battery charging etc). Improper upkeep of vehicle resulted into termites making home inside meter (they might have found it cozy enough ). Thanks to Ameeth Kumar Jha who helped us to connect to meter repair guy in Allahabad, who restored it back to its original glory. Even he had a hard time procuring main gear for speedometer. We also got meter casing chromed and it now looks similar to brand new. Headlights are perfectly fine, they only need a thorough cleaning to start working again. Front indicators and rear tail lamp (it had lamp on right hand side only, while left hand side had reflectors). I checked above mentioned information in CJ3B page and found it true. Thus I need to procure front indicators, indicator switch, front lamp and reflectors
8)Suspension:
previous owner added extra leaf springs to take care of additional load which is very normal in old Jeeps. We removed all leaves, re-cambered them, primered and painted each leaves separately and put back on Jeep. As far as shock absorbers are concerned, leaf spring perch of this model has clip to fasten shocks to their respective clamps dissimilar to later models which had bolts to fasten them. As shock absorber are generic product, it would be procured when Jeep is ready.

Few random pics which were lying in my camera memory card.

Gearbox and transfercase reassembled after painting
Barn find – 1959 Willys CJ3B-393666_10151172746827453_1895489559_n.jpg

Barn find – 1959 Willys CJ3B-429328_10151172746882453_1063636623_n.jpg

Chassis painted black, diffs, leaf springs painted and put back
Barn find – 1959 Willys CJ3B-530318_10151283033562453_1173102638_n.jpg

Engine assembled and mounted on chassis, waiting for few small but important parts to arrive, then we would start engine
Barn find – 1959 Willys CJ3B-382053_10151283033582453_2116381630_n.jpg

Body tub inside is painted with rust preventive paint
Barn find – 1959 Willys CJ3B-297632_10151283033102453_1598720043_n.jpg

Now onwards, i will try to update this thread as frequent as possible. as things are heating up and we are planning to finish everything before rain sets in.

Regards,
Shubhendra Singh
Shubhendra is offline   (7) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 22nd March 2013, 16:49   #19
BHPian

Critical milestone achieved – Engine started:
Few months back when I was visiting my hometown, I went to see progress on Jeep. All mechanicals have been fitted to Jeep and my mech was working on servicing a carburetor which he managed to get from somewhere. As I was on a short trip, I asked him, if engine can be started today or tomorrow. He was apprehensive as there were few small but significant puzzles (Petrol tank, radiator, air filter, alternator etc.) were yet to be put on Jeep. After cajoling him for a while, he asked me to come next day with all lubricants (engine oil, GB oil, diff oil etc) and fuel and assured me that he will try his best to start his Jeep next day.
I reached his workshop in the morning to find out that he is working alone since 07:00 AM in the morning (during north winter) and he was working alone since his help didn’t turn up and his son is not well  . I along with my aide offered him to help, I was desperate to hear sound of engine, as we were working on this Jeep for months and wanted to see result of everyone’s hardwork.
We joined him to help around 11:00 AM and by 02:00 PM. We put carburetor, fuel pump, battery, ignition coil, alternator, points etc. soon we got all lubricants and fuel, by that time my mech set points, timing and did finishing touch. Quickly gearbox, transfer case, engine and differentials were filled with lubes. After 4-5 hours of chaos, it was time for reality check.
We didn’t have petrol tank to connect to tank, thus we filled carburetor with fuel, battery connected, short crank, nothing happened. Mech checked points again, short crank and voila engine came to life. I cannot explain how happy we were. I called my brother and let him hear the sound of our efforts. We didn’t fit full exhaust, and half exhaust sound was much better and sportier. But there was a problem, oil was not circulating and oil filter is still dry , it was resolved later by carefully checking oil pipe which was jammed.

Barn find – 1959 Willys CJ3B-25020_10151283034767453_1966581316_n.jpg

Barn find – 1959 Willys CJ3B-15998_10151283033817453_1010008993_n.jpg

Barn find – 1959 Willys CJ3B-12104_10151283034117453_40825594_n.jpg

Barn find – 1959 Willys CJ3B-397153_10151283034542453_2044619780_n.jpg

Oil topped up
Barn find – 1959 Willys CJ3B-385148_10151283034007453_1998732897_n.jpg

Engine started, fan is rotating as we couldnt get correct size fan belt . we started engine and switched it off after 5-6 seconds. as cooling system was not functional
Barn find – 1959 Willys CJ3B-222293_10151283034697453_624505746_n.jpg

Overall a day well spent learned few technical details about old jeeps. Its matter of few weeks now before we start driving this jeep on road.

regards,
Shubhendra
Shubhendra is offline   (8) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 22nd March 2013, 17:54   #20
BHPian

Much appreciate your effort in bringing back the Mighty CJ3B back to life Shubhendra ji.
I request you to upload few sample videos of engine running. I would love to hear CJ3B heart beating.

Congratulations on this milestone have you chosen any colour yet?
DeClutch 4X4 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 22nd March 2013, 18:02   #21
BHPian

Congratulations, Sir, and look forward to further inputs and finally to the day when the Jeep is resplendent in all of its original glory. All the best, and it is people like you with such passion for cars and bikes and anything with a soul (motor) that make a forum like T-BHP so unique.

Thanks for an excellent restoration work-in-progress.
rajeevn is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 22nd March 2013, 19:11   #22
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeClutch 4X4 View Post
Much appreciate your effort in bringing back the Mighty CJ3B back to life Shubhendra ji.
I request you to upload few sample videos of engine running. I would love to hear CJ3B heart beating.

Congratulations on this milestone have you chosen any colour yet?
Dear declutch Ji,
Thanks for appreciation. Sorry, i do not have videos of engine as of now, but during my next visit to my hometown, i will definitely take videos and post.
You have asked very relevant question, need suggestion on color.

Shubhendra Singh
Old 22nd March 2013, 20:31   #23
BHPian

Great work Shubhendra, really appreciate your passion for restoring the jeep. I do agree that we dont have a strong online presence in India to source restored parts for golden classic cars. Wishing you many more happy miles on your Jeep.
sparsh is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 22nd March 2013, 20:59   #24
BHPian

Shubhendra Ji,

I had this colour guide from Kaiser with me for sometime, but yet to get me jeep painted.

I guess this helps if you are keen on painting your jeep with original spec colour.

Source: Kaiser Willys

regards,
Deepak
Attached Thumbnails
Barn find – 1959 Willys CJ3B-colour-guide-1946-1951.jpg  

Barn find – 1959 Willys CJ3B-colour-guide-1950-1957.jpg  

Barn find – 1959 Willys CJ3B-colour-guide-1958-1963.jpg  

DeClutch 4X4 is offline   (5) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 22nd March 2013, 23:09   #25
Senior - BHPian

Thumbs up Wow !

Dear Shubhendra, I do not know how I missed this thread, may be because of my exams. I salute you for the passion, patience and enthusiasm you have shown through the rebuild. This is perhaps the most troublesome and comprehensive CJ3B restoration I have seen on TBHP. I would like to do something similar, someday...

What's with your Classic, you still have it I hope?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shubhendra View Post
During conversation my brother told him that due to unavailability of mechanic of his stature we had to send our jeep to Bhopal and Jeep is still lying due to our mech at Bhopal has prior commitments.
Where in Bhopal was this ?

Spike
SPIKE ARRESTOR is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 23rd March 2013, 10:59   #26
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPIKE ARRESTOR View Post
I would like to do something similar, someday...
What's with your Classic, you still have it I hope?
Where in Bhopal was this ?
Dear Pratheesh,
Thanks for your kind words. Though there are more passionate people than me who are silently restoring these old jeeps in silos but we online people never get a chance to see or know about it.
do it fast Pratheesh, there are handful of original jeeps left which might end up in scrapyards or Dabwali type shops very soon.
It was in old Bhopal, close to old RTO....

Yes, my classic is still going strong and its with me. Nowdays going through electrical blues.
Little OT, last week it was on a late night rescue mission near Poona.

Barn find – 1959 Willys CJ3B-6806_10151492477127453_419712188_n.jpg

Regards,
Shubhendra Singh
Old 23rd March 2013, 19:00   #27
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeClutch 4X4 View Post
I had this colour guide from Kaiser with me for sometime, but yet to get me jeep painted.
Deepak ji,
wow is the word for color card. If you look carefully paint card has covered almost all possible colors and many are them very lively as well. Just imagine how many options we used to have during 40-60s and now compare with options we have now with Thar etc...

What color you suggest. i am very very confused. One thing is for sure we will stick with original color option. but they are too many to select from
What color you suggest, would appreciate if you can share vehicle's pic if you have saved it somewhere.
BTW your name is interesting

Shubhendra Singh
Old 25th March 2013, 11:23   #28
BHPian

As I am writing this, Jeep has come back from tinker. Body and other panels have been mounted to check alignment of all pieces and found perfect. Paint has been removed from body tub panels etc….
Tomorrow it will go to painter’s shop where he will dismantle fenders, grill, tub etc, remove paint from few places where it is still there, will apply putty. After that anti rust coating will be done followed by primer coat to Jeep. We plan to drive Jeep in above mentioned condition to assess mechanical condition, once we are confident that everything is working as planned. Then only it will go for painting, seat, and finishing touches.

Regards,
Shubhendra Singh
Old 26th March 2013, 13:29   #29
BHPian

What color you suggest. i am very very confused. One thing is for sure we will stick with original color option. but they are too many to select from
What color you suggest, would appreciate if you can share vehicle's pic if you have saved it somewhere.
BTW your name is interesting

Shubhendra Singh[/quote]

Thanks Shubhendra Ji, glad you find it useful and liked it. I don't have much pictures of cj3b in original colour. just a couple of them. I guess you will find filmqueens website more helpful in this regard.

likewise, i am super confused what to choose from from the shadecard and had put a hold on getting my jeep painted for the time being.

My handle name, there's a story behind it.
Attached Thumbnails
Barn find – 1959 Willys CJ3B-210620101369.jpg  

Attached Images

DeClutch 4X4 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 27th March 2013, 11:33   #30
BHPian

I need opinion on below color scheme, after going through may color shades, i am somehow more inclined towards this color. I would not go for Army green color or sand color, they have been done to death in lacs of Jeeps.
Another option is to opt for some dark color with off white colored rims. suggestions welcome.

Name:  HHSeats.JPG
Views: 5985
Size:  51.8 KB

Name:  Hubbard54Rear600.JPG
Views: 9144
Size:  78.0 KB

Picture source: http://www.film.queensu.ca/cj3b/

Regards,
Shubhendra Singh